Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Northern Pulaski 36 - Farnsley 6
Wildcat18 Wrote:You're not making any sense. You're talking about not being allowed to compete in the state tournament, but you're thinking that this will be fixed if the SCHOOL didn't allow hold backs? That's a KYMSFA issue, not a school issue. If a middle school banned hold backs, parents would just start the process a year or 2 earlier in 5th grade or so. Your problem won't ever be fixed. It is not strictly to benefit athletics. I've seen students that have C's in the classroom, get held back and keep A's the following year and beyond. Do you think those parents/students regret it? It helps you in the classroom just as much, if not more. I'd be willing to bet the house that the grades of hold back students are better than those who didn't.

The true definition of a hold back? Not allowing it to be done. Or making an athlete sit out for a season because of it. THAT'S what truly holds children back from success.

our players have to hold a c average at all times to qualify to play any sports not just during the season you must have a true average for the year we have no hold backs our kids can compete with kids there own age no problems no questions asked we give them the skill set in life to overcome all adversities not just show them an easy way to get what you want hold backs for sports is wrong if a kid trully needs to be held back for maturity and academic reasons they don't have the time or the mind set for sports.
Wildcat18 Wrote:You're not making any sense. You're talking about not being allowed to compete in the state tournament, but you're thinking that this will be fixed if the SCHOOL didn't allow hold backs? That's a KYMSFA issue, not a school issue. If a middle school banned hold backs, parents would just start the process a year or 2 earlier in 5th grade or so. Your problem won't ever be fixed. It is not strictly to benefit athletics. I've seen students that have C's in the classroom, get held back and keep A's the following year and beyond. Do you think those parents/students regret it? It helps you in the classroom just as much, if not more. I'd be willing to bet the house that the grades of hold back students are better than those who didn't.

The true definition of a hold back? Not allowing it to be done. Or making an athlete sit out for a season because of it. THAT'S what truly holds children back from success.

our players have to hold a c average at all times to qualify to play any sports not just during the season you must have a true average for the year we have no hold backs our kids can compete with kids there own age no problems no questions asked we give them the skill set in life to overcome all adversities not just show them an easy way to get what you want hold backs for sports is wrong if a kid trully needs to be held back for maturity and academic reasons they don't have the time or the mind set for sports.
DOUGHDADDY Wrote:our players have to hold a c average at all times to qualify to play any sports not just during the season you must have a true average for the year we have no hold backs our kids can compete with kids there own age no problems no questions asked we give them the skill set in life to overcome all adversities not just show them an easy way to get what you want hold backs for sports is wrong if a kid trully needs to be held back for maturity and academic reasons they don't have the time or the mind set for sports.

All schools have standards to be eligible alot more strict than a C average. A C average, that means 2 A's, 2 C's and 2 F's and you can play.Our school has 1 F and you can't play. Is that good, I dont know. 5 A's and 1 F you cant play. 6 D's and your in. Not sure what school your at but I can't believe NO student on the football team has never been held back and all will graduate at 17 or just turn 18.
I would be curious to know how many 8th graders on N Pulaski were 8th graders last year. I would have no problem with KYMSFA saying you can't compete in playoffs if you are repeating a grade. The KHSAA has that rule, so if any student repeats a grade the cannot compete in HS athletics.
footballfever Wrote:all schools have standards to be eligible alot more strict than a c average. A c average, that means 2 a's, 2 c's and 2 f's and you can play.our school has 1 f and you can't play. Is that good, i dont know. 5 a's and 1 f you cant play. 6 d's and your in. Not sure what school your at but i can't believe no student on the football team has never been held back and all will graduate at 17 or just turn 18.
I would be curious to know how many 8th graders on n pulaski were 8th graders last year. I would have no problem with kymsfa saying you can't compete in playoffs if you are repeating a grade. The khsaa has that rule, so if any student repeats a grade the cannot compete in hs athletics.

i could see a kid or two that needed to be held back but the way pulaski talks most of there team are holdbacks that is where my problem arises then it is being done to gain an unfair advantage on the field not to help the kids
DOUGHDADDY Wrote:i could see a kid or two that needed to be held back but the way pulaski talks most of there team are holdbacks that is where my problem arises then it is being done to gain an unfair advantage on the field not to help the kids
You are just now hearing about holdbacks? Where have you been for the last 2-3 decades? As I already posted, it has been going on all over KY for YEARS and YEARS!! Have you seen Southwestern's football roster? The senior class is made up of mostly all holdbacks. They all stayed back together in 7th grade. It will be the same case with the basketball team as well. Not pointing them out in a bad way, just an example of it happening for a long time. Bell County has it down to a science. EVERYONE knows it has gone on forever over there. Whitley County went on a basketball and football run with holdbacks a few years back, where was the outrage for those schools? It sounds just sounds like sour grapes from teams that can't compete with Northern, Southern, and Meece this year.
Kids at Whitley are usually held back in elementary school and there isnt a great deal of it.. 2 years ago a very good QB from Whitley repeated 8th grade and the conference they were in kicked them out. I believe Bell does hold back but to my knowledge usually 2 or 3. School boards have the option of NOT allowing hold backs to participate if they choose. Corbin DOES NOT allow hold backs to play when they repeat a grade. Again I would like to know how many of N Pulaski 8th graders were in 8th last year. I also have no problem if the KYMSFA decides not to let kids repeating a grade play. I think they would have to decide this year and start the rule in 2014.
footballfever Wrote:Kids at Whitley are usually held back in elementary school and there isnt a great deal of it.. 2 years ago a very good QB from Whitley repeated 8th grade and the conference they were in kicked them out. I believe Bell does hold back but to my knowledge usually 2 or 3. School boards have the option of NOT allowing hold backs to participate if they choose. Corbin DOES NOT allow hold backs to play when they repeat a grade. Again I would like to know how many of N Pulaski 8th graders were in 8th last year. I also have no problem if the KYMSFA decides not to let kids repeating a grade play. I think they would have to decide this year and start the rule in 2014.
Don't know where you get your info from but Bell County has had a holdback program for years. I remember watching the Dominique Carton(I think that was his name) class with JD Hilton, Maden and others play in middle school. That 8th grade group was together... in 8th grade.... for 2 years. Dudley even bragged about their holdbacks at a middle school game being held at Pulaski High. Saw them 2 years in a row. Whitley and Corbin most definitely have allowed holdbacks over the years. Remember the basketball run Whitley made in middle school 5-6 years ago? That entire team was held back. The head coach was telling us about it one night at Northern Middle. So, let's not act like all the schools are pristine and soooo much better, ethically, than Northern, Southern or Meece.
Everyone is going nuts about holdbacks. My question has been from the beginning is: What's the difference in starting a kid a year late, holding them back in 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th grade, or holding back in middle school? NONE!!!! No one has even answered that. All I get is "holding back is wrong, cheating", etc... If you choose to let your kid go to school a year early and leave home at 17, that's your right as a parent. If I choose to let my kid start school a year later, hold him back in elementary or middles school, and have him at home as long as I can that's my right.
Our children grow up and leave home fast enough and life is hard, so what's wrong with giving my child every opportunity to succeed in life? If staying at home that one extra year helps in any way at all I say it's a great thing!
AGAIN, Whitley does hold kids back but it is mostly done in elementary school. Whitley had 1 8th grade holdback this year, ZERO last year and 1 the year before. Bell may have held 2623 kids back when little Dudley was in 8th grade but they normally hold back 2 or 3. SO, My question again is how many 8th graders on N Pulaski this year were 8th graders last year.
forever maroon Wrote:don't know where you get your info from but bell county has had a holdback program for years. I remember watching the dominique carton(i think that was his name) class with jd hilton, maden and others play in middle school. That 8th grade group was together... In 8th grade.... For 2 years. Dudley even bragged about their holdbacks at a middle school game being held at pulaski high. Saw them 2 years in a row. Whitley and corbin most definitely have allowed holdbacks over the years. Remember the basketball run whitley made in middle school 5-6 years ago? That entire team was held back. The head coach was telling us about it one night at northern middle. So, let's not act like all the schools are pristine and soooo much better, ethically, than northern, southern or meece.
Everyone is going nuts about holdbacks. My question has been from the beginning is: What's the difference in starting a kid a year late, holding them back in 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th grade, or holding back in middle school? None!!!! No one has even answered that. All i get is "holding back is wrong, cheating", etc... If you choose to let your kid go to school a year early and leave home at 17, that's your right as a parent. If i choose to let my kid start school a year later, hold him back in elementary or middles school, and have him at home as long as i can that's my right.
Our children grow up and leave home fast enough and life is hard, so what's wrong with giving my child every opportunity to succeed in life? If staying at home that one extra year helps in any way at all i say it's a great thing!

hey maroon you keep not answering my question why not hold em back as freshmen when there are more choices in classes, college prep classes etc. Hold em back in middle school and they just take the same classes over again i already know the answer because it isnt about the kids best interest it is about how did you put it oh yea "domination"
footballfever Wrote:again, whitley does hold kids back but it is mostly done in elementary school. Whitley had 1 8th grade holdback this year, zero last year and 1 the year before. Bell may have held 2623 kids back when little dudley was in 8th grade but they normally hold back 2 or 3. So, my question again is how many 8th graders on n pulaski this year were 8th graders last year.

again maroon does not want to answer questions answer the man maroon
Northerns 8th grade center is a true 7th grader, everyone else should be a freshman. 90% of last years Southern 8th grade champs were holdbacks, as well as Meece 8th this year.
DOUGHDADDY Wrote:again maroon does not want to answer questions answer the man maroon
I would say several held back in 8th grade as well as 7th, just as several other schools have done over the years. If they don't do it now, how is that Northern's problem? My point being, why does it matter if you hold back in elementary or middle school or just start them a year later? That question has still not been answered. And, why is it such a big deal now that Northern is doing it? You aren't going to change your point of view and I am definitely not changing mine. We will let you move on with your little, under-sized, younger, mistreated and much smarter children and we will move on with our mean, over-sized, holdback, black eyes on society we have at Northern. Good Luck!
Forever Maroon Wrote:I would say several held back in 8th grade as well as 7th, just as several other schools have done over the years. If they don't do it now, how is that Northern's problem? My point being, why does it matter if you hold back in elementary or middle school or just start them a year later? That question has still not been answered. And, why is it such a big deal now that Northern is doing it? You aren't going to change your point of view and I am definitely not changing mine. We will let you move on with your little, under-sized, younger, mistreated and much smarter children and we will move on with our mean, over-sized, holdback, black eyes on society we have at Northern. Good Luck!

I got no problem with holding them back. As I said earlier I held mine back and I think by far it was the right thing to do. There is no difference in holding back in 3rd, 5th, 7th. 8th. If they are right age then it is what it is. I think a group of parents holding an entire team back a year to win a middle school state championship may be a little much but it's their children.I can see in the next 4-5 years KYMSFA not allowing students repeating a grade to participate, which will mean parents will have to look at holding them back earlier. Good luck to you also. Fans and parents will be expecting great things from the Pulaski County, Somerset area the next few years. We all know how demanding parents can be when expectations aren't meet.
Northern had 4 players hold back in 8th. I held my son back as a 7th grader. He didn't play much but he is and will continue to benefit from it. Mrs. Murphy-the former principal put my son in all the advanced courses for this year and that puts him on a track to take honors classes in high school. So ask me directly, and I will tell you, what difference what grade you hold them back in, 1st to 8th, they will be older than your kids. My son will be in my house under my guidance for an extra year before heading off to college. One mire to mature before he has to make life decision. I could care less what KMSFA has to say about it. That is the most important reason. Period.
Typing on an iPhone on this message board is very hard! I apologize for the misspelled words and words that don't make any sense in my last post
forever maroon Wrote:i would say several held back in 8th grade as well as 7th, just as several other schools have done over the years. If they don't do it now, how is that northern's problem? My point being, why does it matter if you hold back in elementary or middle school or just start them a year later? That question has still not been answered. And, why is it such a big deal now that northern is doing it? You aren't going to change your point of view and i am definitely not changing mine. We will let you move on with your little, under-sized, younger, mistreated and much smarter children and we will move on with our mean, over-sized, holdback, black eyes on society we have at northern. Good luck!

maroon you still havent answered my question why not hold back in high school im mean if its for the kids benefit and by the way the last thing you would call my boy is undersized or mistreated but you were right about smarter straight honor roll baby 12 years old in 7th grade