Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should KHSAA make some changes to each Class?
Diogenes Wrote:For those who say that fans don't apply the winless teams arguments to other sports: I do. I don't believe every team should make it into the playoffs in football, basketball, baseball, or any other sport. The regular season should be meaningful, or why else play it? Awful teams shouldn't even have the chance to ruin a good team's season through some freakish occurrence in an opening-round district game. Just my two cents. Obviously, others will dissent, but the regular season is what participation is for. I'd rather reward excellence over a full season than a team that just happens to get hot over a couple of games.

With all respect, you think a regular season game is not meaningful just because it does not affect whether a team makes it to the playoffs? If so, I have to strongly disagree. Every game I played was extremely meaningful to me. Competitors want to win regardless of whether a game affects making the playoffs. Winners want to win whether they are playing a game that doesn't affect the playoffs and whether they are is a stone skipping competition.
Strikeout King Wrote:I got this from another site.

Should KHSAA go back to the old 4 Class System, with 5A being for Private Schools only?

1A - Small Schools (Jenkins, Leslie County, Knott County, Estill County, Bell County, Wayne County, Paris, Bourbon County, Garrard County, Morgan County, Magoffin County, Casey County, Fleming County, East & West Carter, Harlan, Heath, Emience, Paintsville, Dayton, Bath County, Berea, Madison Souther, Kentucky Country Day, Gallatin County, Glasgow, Hazard, Breathitt County, etc. etc. etc.)

2A - Medium Size Schools (Somerset, Perry County Central, Central, Bellevue, Newport, Dixie Heights, Paducah Tilghman, Mayfield, Ohio County, Union County, Apollo, Belfry, East Jessamine, West Jessamine, George Rogers Clark, Russell, Fern Creek, Letcher County Central, Meade County, etc. etc. etc.)

3A & 4A - Would be Powerhouse schools (Highlands, John Hardin, Bowling Green, Rockcastle County, Harlan County, Boyle County, Danville, Ashland, etc. etc. etc.)

5A - Would be Private Schools only! (They could play other teams throughout the State until District and playoffs started)

what say you?
You need to check out the enrollment figures on the KHSAA website, for starters.
I don't care if it's a 6 class, 3 class, 4 class or a 12 class system. Playoff spots should be earned by your regular season win-loss record with only 4 entering the "post season" in each district. The KHSAA needs to balance the regions and districts to the best of their abilities to ensure the best competition, not be swaggered by members that try to "help their area" out, case in point, the realignment of Pike County to 2 three team districts. And, member schools should only be allowed to play up or down only due to geographic concerns, not for better or less competition. That's just my thoughts, I guess I'm still stuck in the not everyone is born a winner, they have to earn it era.