Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Highlands 34, Elder 29
Stardust Wrote:The back-up QB for the Birds is a Sophomore, right? Just shows that the really good teams have really good back-ups, these kids can step right in and not miss a beat - Right Hoot?

McCoy is a Junior.
Elder is bad.
Stardust Wrote:[Image: http://cmsimg.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcsi....h=410&q=60]

That pic right there Stardust sealed Elder's fate last night. It played out right in frot of me. There were at least 4 Panthers around that ball and True happened to fall on it. That's been Elder's season in a nutshell.
NEWARKCATHOLICFAN Wrote:Elder is bad.

You obviously haven't seen them play. They have been in all of their games, 5 of which were against defending state champions.
If it's true that PT suffered a concussion, does this change the offensive game plan when he returns? I would think that it takes away the threat of him running which is a big minus for the Birds.
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:If it's true that PT suffered a concussion, does this change the offensive game plan when he returns? I would think that it takes away the threat of him running which is a big minus for the Birds.

Will it matter agianst 4A competition other than maybe Cov Cath? And by the way, that was a much better D last night, than what showed up agianst the Cov Cath team. Still saw some poor tackling at times though. Was surprised Elder did not run the ball more, their RB looked hard to bring down.
Blau Vogel Wrote:You obviously haven't seen them play. They have been in all of their games, 5 of which were against defending state champions.
The defending Indiana 3A champions, Bishop Chatard, beat Elder a week ago with their full team playing. No team suddenly and unexpectedly loses 8 starters without missing a beat. Also, as yes you said, Elder has been in most of its games - which means that its reserves have not had as much experience as their teams normally do. There have not been many opportunities for mop-up duty this season for Elder's bench. The team that Highlands beat Friday night was a team with 2 wins that was missing key players. Maybe Elder's 2-win team minus 8 starters was better than either Covington Catholic or Ashland with their full rosters but I doubt it.
sstack Wrote:Will it matter agianst 4A competition other than maybe Cov Cath? And by the way, that was a much better D last night, than what showed up agianst the Cov Cath team. Still saw some poor tackling at times though. Was surprised Elder did not run the ball more, their RB looked hard to bring down.

Burdine was a beast of a back....biggest they'll see all year. I agree, still poor tackling but to hold Elder to 13 offensive points is a good sign for the Birds come rematch time. Congratulations to the Highlands Bluebird Defense.:1:
sstack Wrote:Actually very similar styles. I was surprised Elder threw the ball just as much, if not more, than they ran the ball. They are a very well coached team and I can not remember any flags for the Elder team. Highlands had way to many penalties (three false starts in 1st quarter, very bad personal foul by Bruns, who was bench for that series and the next two, D holding, and several pass int.) Glad to see Highlands can win agianst top competition even when not playing their best and star QB out after only one series. Elder fans around us could not believe we had a backup QB as good and McCoy is.

Bruns was reacting to a punch he received "below the belt" and as usual it is the reaction that is caught by the officials and most fans such as yourself. In any event, Bruns should not have done it and knows as much...it was heat of the moment and how many guys out there don't get very protective in that situation?!? FYI, he sat out two plays, received a message from Coach Weinrich, and was back in the game. I have a feeling I'm closer to the situation than you are, but I could be wrong.
KyMizzle Wrote:Bruns was reacting to a punch he received "below the belt" and as usual it is the reaction that is caught by the officials and most fans such as yourself. In any event, Bruns should not have done it and knows as much...it was heat of the moment and how many guys out there don't get very protective in that situation?!? FYI, he sat out two plays, received a message from Coach Weinrich, and was back in the game. I have a feeling I'm closer to the situation than you are, but I could be wrong.

Hey, I am not sayihg I do not blame him for reacting like he did, but it was a bad penalty that gave Elder great field position, at a time when Highlands D looked like they could have made a stop. I was pointing out that Highlands had a ton of penalties and unforced errors, compared to Elder, and still found a way to win. Our D only gave up 13 points to their Offense, you have to be happy about that and our potential rematch with Cov Cath.
sstack Wrote:Hey, I am not sayihg I do not blame him for reacting like he did, but it was a bad penalty that gave Elder great field position, at a time when Highlands D looked like they could have made a stop. I was pointing out that Highlands had a ton of penalties and unforced errors, compared to Elder, and still found a way to win. Our D only gave up 13 points to their Offense, you have to be happy about that and our potential rematch with Cov Cath.

Homer night at the Pit.....I don't recall Elder getting called for one penalty and they were more than gracious on ball placement
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:Homer night at the Pit.....I don't recall Elder getting called for one penalty and they were more than gracious on ball placement

I can't recall a single flag on Elder either. Does anybody recall any Elder penalties?
McCoy up for Broo's playa of the week. Well deserved. To step up in that atmosphere last night says alot about this kid's heart.
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:Burdine was a beast of a back....biggest they'll see all year. I agree, still poor tackling but to hold Elder to 13 offensive points is a good sign for the Birds come rematch time. Congratulations to the Highlands Bluebird Defense.:1:

Cov Cath's offense is better than Elder's and not really because of players but because of play calling. I think that Elder got away from the run after Bruns was coming up and delivering some big time hits. Elder became throw, throw, throw, with a little bit of run mixed in.
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:Homer night at the Pit.....I don't recall Elder getting called for one penalty and they were more than gracious on ball placement

What would make you say that?

Penalties Highlands 8-76 Elder 1-16

What about the time Elder went for it on 4th down when there QB was stopped past the 1st down marker, reversed field, ran three yards backwards, was tackled but the spot was where the first contact was made, WITHOUT A WHISTLE.

Highlands went for it on 4th, seemingly picked it up until the side judge on the Elder side of the field ran out placing the ball a full yard behind the orininal spot denying the Birds a first down by 6 inches.

Highlands vs. Elder - Oct 21, 2011, GAME STATS

http://preps.cincinnati.com/Football/Boxscore/112198
nptb17 Wrote:Cov Cath's offense is better than Elder's and not really because of players but because of play calling. I think that Elder got away from the run after Bruns was coming up and delivering some big time hits. Elder became throw, throw, throw, with a little bit of run mixed in.

IMVHO, Elders QB was the best I have seen this year vs Highlands. Their RB was as good as any I have seen and their line was bigger than any I have seen. I doubt there are five teams in KY that could keep it close with the Panthers.
sstack Wrote:I can't recall a single flag on Elder either. Does anybody recall any Elder penalties?

According to the official stats, Highlands was called for 8 penalties and Elder for one.

The only flag on Elder was for a block in the back on a punt return.
Blau Vogel Wrote:IMVHO, Elders QB was the best I have seen this year vs Highlands. Their RB was as good as any I have seen and their line was bigger than any I have seen. I doubt there are five teams in KY that could keep it close with the Panthers.

And that speaks volumes about who Highlands has played this season.
nptb17 Wrote:And that speaks volumes about who Highlands has played this season.

They have played CovCath...I would give Elder the edge in ALL three of these catagories.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:The defending Indiana 3A champions, Bishop Chatard, beat Elder a week ago with their full team playing. No team suddenly and unexpectedly loses 8 starters without missing a beat. Also, as yes you said, Elder has been in most of its games - which means that its reserves have not had as much experience as their teams normally do. There have not been many opportunities for mop-up duty this season for Elder's bench. The team that Highlands beat Friday night was a team with 2 wins that was missing key players. Maybe Elder's 2-win team minus 8 starters was better than either Covington Catholic or Ashland with their full rosters but I doubt it.

Had elder been at full strength they prob win by 14 points. That being said great job by the bluebirds to win without towels and bring the w back to ky.
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:Had elder been at full strength they prob win by 14 points. That being said great job by the bluebirds to win without towels and bring the w back to ky.

If Highlands was at full strength it's a 56-17 win. No way Elder was going to stop Highlands from scoring. Dumb statement by Tomcat.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:The defending Indiana 3A champions, Bishop Chatard, beat Elder a week ago with their full team playing. No team suddenly and unexpectedly loses 8 starters without missing a beat. Also, as yes you said, Elder has been in most of its games - which means that its reserves have not had as much experience as their teams normally do. There have not been many opportunities for mop-up duty this season for Elder's bench. The team that Highlands beat Friday night was a team with 2 wins that was missing key players. Maybe Elder's 2-win team minus 8 starters was better than either Covington Catholic or Ashland with their full rosters but I doubt it.

Maybe get out of Eastern Ky. Elder's 2 win team even without 8 starters is still better than anyone in Ky besides Trinity and Highlands. Ashland won't stay within 40 points of Highlands should they play, with or without Towles. Covcath is also probably 20+ pts better than Ashland. All you have to do is look at history.
Congrats Bluebirds
NEWARKCATHOLICFAN Wrote:Elder is bad.

Yeah, and you would know....How? Have you seen them play? Let me guess, you think your team, Newark Catholic, would be Elder? :lame:
Wideleft01 Wrote:If Highlands was at full strength it's a 56-17 win. No way Elder was going to stop Highlands from scoring. Dumb statement by Tomcat.

Really besides towels how many highlands players were out. Cause I'm pretty sure Highlands didn't have 8 new starters from last week. I stand by the fact had elder had the same lineup they started last week they would've won this ballgame.
Wideleft01 Wrote:Maybe get out of Eastern Ky. Elder's 2 win team even without 8 starters is still better than anyone in Ky besides Trinity and Highlands. Ashland won't stay within 40 points of Highlands should they play, with or without Towles. Covcath is also probably 20+ pts better than Ashland. All you have to do is look at history.

I would say get out of northern ky and realize there is good football all over this state. Ashland JC Belfry Bell Rockcastle Lex Cath. Are all good teams from the rest of the state that can compete In northern Ky