Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Highlands 34, Elder 29
final
nice win Bluebirds
http://preps.cincinnati.com/Football/Boxscore/112198

Stats for the game
Kufos to Highlands and double Kudos to Highlands backup quarterback Donavan McCoy who played an admirable game.
This game was much closer than it should have been. Highlands needs to work on getting the snap to the punter and definitely needs to cut down the penalties.
Congrats Highlands!
Glad to see the KY team get the win.

What were Towles stats?

Congrats Highlands.
Towles left the game with a possible concussion in the first quarter and did not return.

Highlands CP/ATT YDS AVG TD INT
McCoy,Donovan 10/24 221 9.2 2 1
Towles,Patrick 3/4 66 16.5 0 0
MVP2 Wrote:Glad to see the KY team get the win.

What were Towles stats?

Congrats Highlands.

Unfortunately had to leave the game let's hope this young man is ok.
good win for highlands, hope Towles is alright.
Congrats to Highlands on the nice win and to the backup QB stepping up for them. Hope all is well with Patrick Towles.
Great to see an exciting game, into the 4th quarter! Special teams were bad and kept Elder in the game. The fumble in the endzone by McCoy that resulted in a Elder TD also helped (16 points that were gifted wrapped for Elder). Who ever voted "The Pit" the number 1 place to watch a HS game is crazy. It is terrible veiw for 3/4 of the seats!
Not bad

Stardust Wrote:Highlands 34-24 victors

birdman44 Wrote:to close to call but id say
HHS 35
Elder 31
Great win for the Birds! How many of Elder's starters were suspended for this game?
McCameraMan Wrote:Congrats to Highlands on the nice win and to the backup QB stepping up for them. Hope all is well with Patrick Towles.

Ditto!
I went once...Won't go back. I am sure sitting on the Elder side is probably ok, but I have no interest in finding out.

sstack Wrote:Great to see an exciting game, into the 4th quarter! Special teams were bad and kept Elder in the game. The fumble in the endzone by McCoy that resulted in a Elder TD also helped (16 points that were gifted wrapped for Elder). Who ever voted "The Pit" the number 1 place to watch a HS game is crazy. It is terrible veiw for 3/4 of the seats!
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Great win for the Birds! How many of Elder's starters were suspended for this game?

8 + or - I thought their QB was very good. He was cool under pressure and never seemed confused or overwhelmed.
Blau Vogel Wrote:8 + or - I thought their QB was very good. He was cool under pressure and never seemed confused or overwhelmed.
It sounds like it was a great game of contrasting styles. I hope that Towles makes a speedy recovery and is available to play in the first round of the playoffs. I don't think any team would want to eliminate Highlands without its star quarterback in the game.
Blau Vogel Wrote:8 + or - I thought their QB was very good. He was cool under pressure and never seemed confused or overwhelmed.

Having watched Elder more than a few times this year, there isn't much of a drop off from their starter to backup quarterback. The Elder offense wasn't that much different than it would have been had the starting qb played. Bruns from Highlands was bringing the noise tonight.

I was wrong as the Highlands line gave the qb just enough time tonight to get the big plays.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:It sounds like it was a great game of contrasting styles. I hope that Towles makes a speedy recovery and is available to play in the first round of the playoffs. I don't think any team would want to eliminate Highlands without its star quarterback in the game.

Actually very similar styles. I was surprised Elder threw the ball just as much, if not more, than they ran the ball. They are a very well coached team and I can not remember any flags for the Elder team. Highlands had way to many penalties (three false starts in 1st quarter, very bad personal foul by Bruns, who was bench for that series and the next two, D holding, and several pass int.) Glad to see Highlands can win agianst top competition even when not playing their best and star QB out after only one series. Elder fans around us could not believe we had a backup QB as good and McCoy is.
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:Unfortunately had to leave the game let's hope this young man is ok.

I hope he is okay too, any word on what happen to him?
So much for reserved numbered seats at Elder. Happy with the win, but not sitting on concrete close to the end zone.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:It sounds like it was a great game of contrasting styles. I hope that Towles makes a speedy recovery and is available to play in the first round of the playoffs. I don't think any team would want to eliminate Highlands without its star quarterback in the game.

Is he out next week?
Congrats Highlands
The back-up QB for the Birds is a Sophomore, right? Just shows that the really good teams have really good back-ups, these kids can step right in and not miss a beat - Right Hoot?
10/21/2011
Highlands 34 Cincinnati Elder 29

Highlands 7 14 3 10 34
Cincinnati Elder 7 10 10 2 29
Scoring summary:
H--Patrick Towles 2 run (Carter New kick); E--Max Mazza 33 pass from Josh Moore (Sam Williams kick); E--Sam Williams 25 field goal; E--A.J. Burdine 5 run (Williams kick); H--Donovan McCoy 9 run (New kick); H--Austin Sheehan 4 pass from McCoy (New kick); E--Williams 29 field goal; H--New 40 field goal; E--Stephen Robben fumble recovery in end zone (Williams kick); H--New 27 field goal; H--David Christian 58 pass from McCoy (New kick); E--punt blocked in end zone.
Records: Highlands 9-0, Cincinnati (Ohio) 2-7.

Read more: http://www.kentucky.com/2010/10/15/13961...z1bUHADQrn
Highlands quarterback Patrick Towles, who has committed to Kentucky, scored the game's first touchdown in the first quarter but left right after, reportedly with a concussion. Donovan McCoy, a junior, came on in relief to go 11-for-26 for 245 yards and two touchdowns.

Read more: http://www.kentucky.com/2011/10/21/19303...z1bULU1Gjt
It was backups who took center stage for Elder and Highlands on Friday night and it was Highlands junior backup quarterback Donovan McCoy who stole the show.

McCoy, playing in place of senior standout Patrick Towles, who suffered a head injury early in the first quarter and didn’t return, completed 11 of 26 passes for 246 yards and two touchdowns, including a 58-yard touchdown pass to junior David Christian with 10:14 left that broke a 27-27 tie as Highlands went on to win, 34-29, at The Pit.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll...310220080/

It’s Highlands’ first win over Elder in five games dating back to 1999.

Elder (2-7) was playing short-handed due to missing multiple players who had been suspended earlier in the week for the season's final two games due to a violation of team rules, according to the Elder athletic department. It’s unclear how many of those were starters.

Towles, who has committed to the University of Kentucky and entered Friday’s game having completed 103 of 158 passes for 2,376 yards, 30 touchdowns and only one interception, played only the first series and accounted for all 68 yards (52 passing and 12 rushing) of a game-opening touchdown drive. He capped the drive with a three-yard touchdown run, but suffered a blow to his head when he dove into the end zone.

McCoy, who is expected to be the starting quarterback next season, but had primarily played wide receiver this season, entered the game having caught more passes (19) than he had thrown (seven).

“It was absolutely tremendous what he did,” said Highlands coach Dale Mueller. “We had not practiced him enough at quarterback. We haven’t practiced him enough in practice so we really put him in a bind. He just has such poise and character. He is just a man in the truest sense of the word. He is such a great role model. He was a guy you would expect to do that.”

McCoy, a left-hander who completed just 1 of his first 7 pass attempts, said when he was summoned to replace Towles he recalled the 2009 season when Towles replaced injured starter Will Bardo and led the Bluebirds to a 12-7 upset of Cincinnati St. Xavier.

“I didn’t think I would be playing quarterback and I had direct flashbacks to St. X when Pat got in it was kind of scary,” said McCoy, who also rushed for a team-high 56 yards on 15 carries. “It took me a couple of series to get warmed up.”

With Towles on the bench, Elder rallied to build a 17-7 lead with 4:11 left in the first half on two touchdown passes from junior quarterback Josh Moore, who started for the Panthers. Moore finished the game 18 of 37 passing for 182 yards, two touchdowns and one interception.

Highlands (9-0), which had won its first eight games this season by an average margin of 52.1 points, rallied for two touchdowns in the final 2:27 of the half to take a 21-17 halftime. McCoy ran eight yards for one touchdown and then passed four yards to senior Austin Sheehan for the other. Sheehan finished with seven receptions for 193 yards.

After Elder closed within 21-20 on Sam Williams’ 29-yard field goal a little over three minutes into the third quarter, Highlands’ Carter New answered with a 40-yard field goal with 4:11 left in the quarter to push the Highlands lead to 24-20.

Elder then got a defensive touchdown when McCoy was sacked in the end zone, fumbled and senior Stephen Robben fell on it in the end zone making it 27-24 Panthers.

Highlands tied it at 27-27 early in the fourth quarter when New made a 27-yard field goal.

The Bluebirds then forced a three-and-out and took over on their own 42-yard line. On the first play, McCoy hit Christian running free deep down the middle of the field for the touchdown.

“We had drawn it up where we switched the routes,” said McCoy. “The short side was running what the wide side was running and the plan was Dave, who was my main receiver last year on JV, I know how he runs his routes and the safety came up and he ran right by the defense.”

Elder closed within 34-29 with 5:42 left when it blocked a Highlands punt in the end zone that the Bluebirds were able to fall on.

The Panthers went three-and-out though, punted and Highlands was able to run out the clock.

“They were missing a bunch of guys, but a win’s a win and that’s what we were looking for,” said McCoy. “We’ve been getting ready for his game since December last year.”

Said Mueller: “There’s no excuses. We wouldn’t have made any excuses with Pat out. You line up and play the game and you have to do it.”
Congrats to Highlands on a big win.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]