Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry 7 Ashland Blazer 6
They say its a shame soneone had to lose, if you didnt enjoy this game you are not a football fan, goodluck to both teams from here on out
When does Ashland play Johnson Central? I figure that game (assuming JC gets by Rowan this weekend) will decide who wins the district 4A championship.
Check out this fumble that wasn't.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fb...=1&theater
I couldn't figure out how to post the picture.

That whole photo album is a good one. Check it out.
Buc-a-roo Wrote:Check out this fumble that wasn't.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fb...=1&theater

[Image: https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hph...9110_n.jpg]
QUOTE=EKUAlum05;1273356][Image: https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hph...9110_n.jpg][/QUOTE]

Recovered by the Pirates BUT given back to the Tomcats.... HUM....:biggrin:
Ghormley really lit that guy up on that play. Such a good hard hitting game. Love the photo.
gapman Wrote:I agree with all that you have said. If his foot goes out that's the spot. I was thinking the footplant was inbounds and then his momentum carried him on out of bounds about like a punt that goes out. It's a judgement call at that point, yes or no?
It has been bugging me since we had this discussion, so I had to go back and watch it again to find out about this call.

On the replay, especially if you slow it down, you can see that the ref nailed it. Withrow stepped out of bounds as he was stretching forward. His foot goes out right between the 30-31 yd lines and the ref spots it right at that spot.

It was also right in front of the whole Ashland coaching staff and they didn't say boo to the ref. It must have been obvious to them.

I'm not posting this to gloat or say I told you so, I really wanted to see it for myself. If the call had been bad, I was prepared to say so, but this time they got it right.
I have really enjoyed this thread. You can have a civil discussion about a game without chest thumping and trash talking. There have been a few in this thread that have tried to turn it ugly but for the most part it has been a mature exchange. I have never understood why some feel they have to come into every thread with a chip on their shoulder and take every opportunity to degrade, name call and antagonize the opposition.

Kudos to the Belfry and Ashland fans for being civil and mature and discussing this great game with a little bit of intelligence.

This is a game we are discussing played by our kids. Show a little class and respect. If we lead by example a little bit more often, then maybe the youngsters out there will follow suit and learn that you don't have to be an ass to post on here with fans from other teams.
I also want to say that whoever the PA announcer was for this game I hope we can keep him. He did a good job of relaying the important particulars without being a clown or a cheerleader. For one night it was a pleasure to watch the game without having the PA guy call attention to himself.

I did hear him say once it was "3rd down and a fur piece" though Big Grin
PaytoPlay Wrote:Ghormley really lit that guy up on that play. Such a good hard hitting game. Love the photo.
44 played a great game. I didn't realize how good until I watched the replay but he was all over the place on defense.
fieldofdreams Wrote:QUOTE=EKUAlum05;1273356][Image: https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hph...9110_n.jpg]

Recovered by the Pirates BUT given back to the Tomcats.... HUM....:biggrin:[/QUOTE]

Yeah it does like the ball is coming out. It also looks like a possible facemask?
I agree with you on the pic. But I would say if there were more stills of the game we could probably pic the game an refs apart? All in all I think they let them play. IMO bad calls both ways an missed calls both ways.
Great defensive efforts by both teams!
BADCAT74 Wrote:Yeah it does like the ball is coming out. It also looks like a possible facemask?
I agree with you on the pic. But I would say if there were more stills of the game we could probably pic the game an refs apart? All in all I think they let them play. IMO bad calls both ways an missed calls both ways.
Great defensive efforts by both teams!
No question about it, if you freeze every frame you can pick out a lot of things refs miss, and you should be able to. That is true of any game, any crew.

Overall I thought the officiating was pretty good, not perfect, but you can't expect them to be. This game wasn't decided by the officials, it was decided on the field, the way it should be.
I went to the Belfry facebook page to check out the photo album. There was 150 or so pictures if I remember right, and just about every defensive play had #44 Ghormley nailing the ball carrier or receiver.

I don't know how many tackles the young man had, but if he continues to play as such a high level, it only makes the Pirate defense that much better.
Belfry's defense has some studs. Messer, Ghormley, and Mullins are three incredible juniors.
^ Sorta seems weird to keep this thread going because it has turned into a discussion by Belfry fans about our excitment over some of our guys. Perhaps its better in a newer thread.

That said, If Messer just decided to commit 100% this offeseason to developing his body and skills, kid has some ridiculous potential. If there is a single player on Belfry's team who has D1 type accumen, it is him.
PaytoPlay Wrote:^ Sorta seems weird to keep this thread going because it has turned into a discussion by Belfry fans about our excitment over some of our guys. Perhaps its better in a newer thread.

That said, If Messer just decided to commit 100% this offeseason to developing his body and skills, kid has some ridiculous potential. If there is a single player on Belfry's team who has D1 type accumen, it is him.

i said that from day one of him playing football or basketball, kid used to stay at my house,and besides beening a good ball player,he was a gr8 kid,havent been around the last couple of yrs,but i bet he hasnt changed...
First I will apologize on posting so late after this game was over, but I watched it today and wanted to add my thoughts on it, and my first post was nothing more than saying nice job Belfry.
First defense was awesome for both teams.
This one had so many hard hits in it and I can imagine both teams were sore as heck the day after.
I have read where Hunter is a athlete playing QB, I M O he looks like a quarterback who is very athletic. I like the way he throws the ball and love the way he can make guys miss when running.

I really liked the way Trey Willis ran the ball. The young man can run hard and uses every ounce he has to make it hard on those trying to tackle him.

I also liked the way Justin Johnson ran the ball also..

The play by #13 Belfry Thacker knocking that pass away in the 4th quarter was awesome and clean. The play right after where Hunter scrambled to his left and hit his rec on 4th down, but the rec stepped out of bounds before getting the first down was "the right call"

I did not thing the Refs were the reason Belfry won or the reason Ashland went down.
NEWARKCATHOLICFAN Wrote:First I will apologize on posting so late after this game was over, but I watched it today and wanted to add my thoughts on it, and my first post was nothing more than saying nice job Belfry.
First defense was awesome for both teams.
This one had so many hard hits in it and I can imagine both teams were sore as heck the day after.
I have read where Hunter is a athlete playing QB, I M O he looks like a quarterback who is very athletic. I like the way he throws the ball and love the way he can make guys miss when running.

I really liked the way Trey Willis ran the ball. The young man can run hard and uses every ounce he has to make it hard on those trying to tackle him.

I also liked the way Justin Johnson ran the ball also..

The play by #13 Belfry Thacker knocking that pass away in the 4th quarter was awesome and clean. The play right after where Hunter scrambled to his left and hit his rec on 4th down, but the rec stepped out of bounds before getting the first down was "the right call"

I did not thing the Refs were the reason Belfry won or the reason Ashland went down.
Congratulations Belfry on the win. But Ashland while a good team, was a bit overrated.
Twitter: @tc_analytics