Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(5) Boise State 35 - (19) Georgia 21
Aslan Wrote:^I don't care about 10 years ago, right now. Yeah, everybody knows UK football has improved the past decade. We should be at the point now, were we can beat teams like WKU by as many as we want. Instead, WKU was in the game until late in the 4th. You do realize WKU has won a mere two games the last two years. Fact is Kentucky played awful, against an awful team. This looks like the worst team we've had since we started the bowl streak. I know it's just one game, but UK looked THAT bad.

Good lord this bunch couldn't look any worse than they did Mike Hartline's first year as a starter. There is alot of talent, Young talent on this team they will be fine this year. And will keep getting better.
Stardust Wrote:You are dead-on Aslan. This is like the Bengals, waiting for them to compete and compete consistently. The Wildcats have not made drastic steps forward. They improve, take two steps back, then one step forward. I'm tired of hearing that it's too tough to compete in the SEC and they will never be able to recruit to stay with the big boys. If that's really the case, then drop the program! It's a waste of money, money that could be put to other programs!

I'll give you an example of why this pisses me off so much.

It has taken Steve Spurrier something like 6 years to make South Carolina competitive. He doesnt even have to leave that state to recruit SC produces huge amounts of talent But he is just now barely getting the best from his state. South Carolina is in about the same place that Kentucky is. As far as having a football history in that they really don't have one. They have a nice stadium and facilities that help with recruiting but we all know they will probably never out recruit the big boys in the SEC. Much like Kentucky.

Now you are going to say that they are competing for championships in the SEC. Well this is because of the simple fact that SC has a lot of talent to go around in high school ball. Unlike kentucky. Kentucky's upper level is as good as anyone but every other level sucks in comparison. Therefore South Carolina could actually get a big name coach to come in because he knew that if he started winning the recruiting battle in his state he could win in the sec. It has taken Spurrier 6 years to do this, and he is a Hall Of Fame coach.

In kentucky on the other hand we have a basketball fanbase that doesn't realise that you cannot recruit 5 or 6 players and win championships. It makes our fans think that football should be like basketball where we could hire a football version of calipari and start getting #1 recruiting classes, because we would need one of those to actually win a SEC championship. It takes years, and years to build a team to SEC standards. And we are getting there. In the last five years how many teams can say they have beat a national champion in the regular season? How many can say that they have went on the road to Athens georgia, and Auburn Alabama and won a football game? How many can really say that they have a tougher schedule than Kentucky that aren't in this conference. Being in the SEC sucks when you are trying to build a football program and it really sucks at the end of the year when your team is beat half to death. But the game against WKU will have no bearing once SEC time starts.
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:Good lord this bunch couldn't look any worse than they did Mike Hartline's first year as a starter. There is alot of talent, Young talent on this team they will be fine this year. And will keep getting better.

This team looked worse.
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:I'll give you an example of why this pisses me off so much.

It has taken Steve Spurrier something like 6 years to make South Carolina competitive. He doesnt even have to leave that state to recruit SC produces huge amounts of talent But he is just now barely getting the best from his state. South Carolina is in about the same place that Kentucky is. As far as having a football history in that they really don't have one. They have a nice stadium and facilities that help with recruiting but we all know they will probably never out recruit the big boys in the SEC. Much like Kentucky.

Now you are going to say that they are competing for championships in the SEC. Well this is because of the simple fact that SC has a lot of talent to go around in high school ball. Unlike kentucky. Kentucky's upper level is as good as anyone but every other level sucks in comparison. Therefore South Carolina could actually get a big name coach to come in because he knew that if he started winning the recruiting battle in his state he could win in the sec. It has taken Spurrier 6 years to do this, and he is a Hall Of Fame coach.

In kentucky on the other hand we have a basketball fanbase that doesn't realise that you cannot recruit 5 or 6 players and win championships. It makes our fans think that football should be like basketball where we could hire a football version of calipari and start getting #1 recruiting classes, because we would need one of those to actually win a SEC championship. It takes years, and years to build a team to SEC standards. And we are getting there. In the last five years how many teams can say they have beat a national champion in the regular season? How many can say that they have went on the road to Athens georgia, and Auburn Alabama and won a football game? How many can really say that they have a tougher schedule than Kentucky that aren't in this conference. Being in the SEC sucks when you are trying to build a football program and it really sucks at the end of the year when your team is beat half to death. But the game against WKU will have no bearing once SEC time starts.

Well, it should piss you off that it has taken a hell of a lot more than 6 years! Try going all the way back to when Bear Bryant coached the Wildcats since UK was competitive in football! C'mon, really! Really! I'm not looking at this short sighted! UK has been doing this for a very, very long time and the best they can do is a Joker Phillips at this stage of the program. That's a long, long - actually VERY long time of not getting it figured out! Even the rest of the scrubs in the SEC have had their years of sustained success before trailing back off to obscurity!
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:Good lord this bunch couldn't look any worse than they did Mike Hartline's first year as a starter. There is alot of talent, Young talent on this team they will be fine this year. And will keep getting better.

How many times has this been the outlook over the past 20 years?
Kentuckys 4-8, MAYBE 5-7 this year. But I would bet anybody on BGR they DONT finish with a .500 record. People say one man dont make a team, but one man sure means a hell of a lot to a team, and Randall Cobb meant more to this team than anybody the last 50 years meant. UK will find out this year. As for Boise, everybody knows my absolute hatred for that team. They beat a 6-6 Georgia team, and gave them a pretty good whoopin. How would they fare against the SEC? Well lets have a look-
East- Florida-L, South Carolina-L, Kentucky-W, Vandy-W, Georgia-W, Tennessee-W
West-Alabama-L, Arkansas-L, LSU-L, Miss. State-L, Auburn-W, Ole Miss-W...so there you have it. They could beat half of the teams in the SEC, in my opinion..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
^ Great post TH32, I can't see BSU compete week-end and week-out with the SEC teams
Stardust Wrote:Well, it should piss you off that it has taken a hell of a lot more than 6 years! Try going all the way back to when Bear Bryant coached the Wildcats since UK was competitive in football! C'mon, really! Really! I'm not looking at this short sighted! UK has been doing this for a very, very long time and the best they can do is a Joker Phillips at this stage of the program. That's a long, long - actually VERY long time of not getting it figured out! Even the rest of the scrubs in the SEC have had their years of sustained success before trailing back off to obscurity!

We have had decent amounts of success in the past 50 years. Not like the rest of the SEC, and not like our own Basketball program but we have had quite a few good years. I agree we have problems, and would love nothing more than to be succesful but I know it won't happen. The fanbase in lexington won't allow for it. This state is so basketball crazy that it doesnt even matter if the football team wins or not that the vast majority of people don't even care. That is why we won't get a big name coach. That is why Kentucky who has a all time winning record is considered to be a bad program even though we really haven't been that bad. Especially comparing us to "Football Schools" like south carolina. Who has a comprable record to us over the past few years and really even all time. But even though they aren't that good they fill up a 80,000 person stadium every saturday because those people care about football. We have to realise that Kentucky will probably never be big time in football because honestly the fan base doesn't care once basketball season comes around. We could go to the sugar bowl every year and it still wouldn't matter. That is why UK is a love hate relationship for me. I love UK sports but cannot stand the stigma placed against the football program.
Go BS