Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shaquille O'Neal Retires
zaga_fan Wrote:So in his era he averaged 30/23 for his career.
But in this era you say he would do 30/20.
The disparity amazes me...
Try quoting me accurately and maybe you will be less amazed. I said that he would have averaged 25 to 30 points a game, depending on his supporting cast. Wilt's career average took a hit when he was traded to a Lakers team that was loaded with talent late in his career. He adjusted his game, and set the NBA FG accuracy record in his last season, as he continued to lead the league in rebounding and prove that he was one of the best passing big men to ever play the game.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Try quoting me accurately and maybe you will be less amazed. I said that he would have averaged 25 to 30 points a game, depending on his supporting cast. Wilt's career average took a hit when he was traded to a Lakers team that was loaded with talent late in his career. He adjusted his game, and set the NBA FG accuracy record in his last season, as he continued to lead the league in rebounding and prove that he was one of the best passing big men to ever play the game.

Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Quote:So in his era he averaged 30/23 for his career.
But in this era you say he would do 25-30(based on his supporting cast)/20.
The disparity amazes me..

Does that make baby feel better?
Are you quoted accurately now?

I assumed, since today's players have nothing on Wilt and the good ole' boys of his era, he would automatically be at the upper echelon of your little estimation.
I think that I will rest my case on this one. I will not convince fans of this generation that their beloved Shaq was not even close to being the best that he could have been or the best center in the history of the NBA.

One parting thought. Suppose Steve Nash had racked up the kind of numbers that he has but instead of playing today, he had played during the 60s and 70s. How many of you who are knocking Wilt would have ever considered it possible that Nash would have won multiple MVPs playing the game today? My guess is that almost none of you would have conceded that he would even be able to start on a "modern" NBA team because of his size and relative lack of athleticism for his position.

Great athletes and great basketball players did not suddenly appear on the scene in the 1990s or at the dawn of the 21st century, the way that many of you seem to believe the did. The best college center that I personally have ever seen play was Bill Walton. I don't like the guy and injuries kept him from having the kind of NBA career that he enjoyed at UCLA but when he was healthy he was scary good.
zaga_fan Wrote:Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Does that make baby feel better?
Are you quoted accurately now?

I assumed, since today's players have nothing on Wilt and the good ole' boys of his era, he would automatically be at the upper echelon of your little estimation.
Classy post. Sore loser. :lmao:
Aslan Wrote:Whether I agree with Hoot or not, he always makes a hell of an argument.

That he does...
that he does.
zaga_fan Wrote:That he does...
that he does.
The feeling is mutual. With all the shots that I have taken at Kobe the past few months, its says something that the two of you haven't put me on your ignore lists. :biggrin:

The thing is, I really like Shaq. He has always seemed like a genuinely nice guy, he has never been in any trouble during his career, and has been a great ambassador for the game. I am being sincere when I say that i wish that he had taken better care of himself so that we could have seen just how great of a player he could have been.

Wilt was really before my time and I have only a vague recollection of him playing for the Lakers near the end of his career - and you know that I am no Lakers fan. I would have loved it if Shaq had stayed healthy and broken some of Wilt's records.