Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Shaquille O'Neal Retires
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Just seen this on twitter. In his prime he was the most dominant center of all time.
:eyeroll:
LClion4life Wrote:Just seen this on twitter. In his prime he was the most dominant center of all time.

Indeed he was. :Thumbs:
Def. one of the top 5 players of all time in NBA history, IMO.
Gonna miss the big fella'...
One of the greatest players EVER, but it's time....
Definitely one of the most dominate centers of all time and my own personal favorite. Shaq is a beast, but it is time for him to hang his sneakers up at least when it comes to the NBA. He gave it all he had and u cant ask for more then that. NOW I look forward to seeing what he does next. A regular television show is almost certain in his future. Or perhaps UFC? I heard he wanted to try his hand at that. Idk for sure though. Whatever it is, he will still entertain millions no doubt.
Hate to see this, but it was definitely time!!
In his prime, he was incredible.
There was a time in Shaq's career when he was simply unguardable.
It was better to just triple team him and foul him.
If he could have gotten his free throws down he would have SERIOUSLY averaged around 40 a game.

Hate to see it end.
Kobe says thanks for the rings.
zaga_fan Wrote:There was a time in Shaq's career when he was simply unguardable.
It was better to just triple team him and foul him.
If he could have gotten his free throws down he would have SERIOUSLY averaged around 40 a game.

Hate to see it end.
Kobe says thanks for the rings.

I like what you have said here and I completely agree. I think Shaq was the most dominant player to ever play.

BTW-Shaq is the funniest guy to ever play the game that is for sure.
4 NBA Titles, 28,596 career points, 15 time All-Star, to go along with Rookie of the Year, and MVP n both regular season (2000), and the NBA Finals..Have been a big fan of the "Big Fella" since his days at LSU...
Sad day in the NBA for sure.

Shaq was awesome!
Sad news to hear but it was the best thing he could have done as his injuries were just adding up.

I will miss watching him play but, the legacy that he leaves is unmatched and he will always be known for being the most intimidating Big Man in the game!!
Anyone see the press conference today?

Shaq was naming off all the things, he was going to miss about the game and he ended it with " I'm really going to miss the free throws" LOL. I'm going to miss the big fella.
I like Shaq but he is not close to being the top center to ever play, which is a shame because he had the potential to end his career and being mentioned in the same breath as Wilt. Unfortunately, Shaq played out of shape for much of his career and never came close to playing up to his full potential.

Besides Wilt, Abdul-Jabbar, and Bill Russell all had much better careers than Shaq. I would rank Moses Malone and Olajuwon at least even with Shaq.

I know that Shaq was injured much of his career but packing extra weight on a 7 foot frame over a long NBA season is just inviting injuries. If he had not devoted so much time to his sideline careers such as police work, movies, and TV ads, maybe he would have enjoyed more injury-free years and learned to shoot free throws.
No way are Olajuwon and Malone equal to Shaq IMHO.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I like Shaq but he is not close to being the top center to ever play, which is a shame because he had the potential to end his career and being mentioned in the same breath as Wilt. Unfortunately, Shaq played out of shape for much of his career and never came close to playing up to his full potential.

Besides Wilt, Abdul-Jabbar, and Bill Russell all had much better careers than Shaq. I would rank Moses Malone and Olajuwon at least even with Shaq.

I know that Shaq was injured much of his career but packing extra weight on a 7 foot frame over a long NBA season is just inviting injuries. If he had not devoted so much time to his sideline careers such as police work, movies, and TV ads, maybe he would have enjoyed more injury-free years and learned to shoot free throws.

Maybe if people wasnt trying to kill him every play as well.

IMO shaq would have dominated every center u mentioned.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Maybe if people wasnt trying to kill him every play as well.

IMO shaq would have dominated every center u mentioned.
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar believes that you are wrong.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar CHECKS Scottie Pippen About Saying Lebron James & Michael Jordan Are Best Ballers Of All Time

Unlike Shaq, Wilt Chamberlain was still in great shape when he retired. Like Shaq, he was a bad free throw shooter but in his final NBA season, Wilt set the NBA record for FG% at 72.7% and averaged 18.7 rebounds per game and dished out 4.7 assists per game and added his second NBA championship to his resume.

Do you think that Wilt was not constantly hacked because of his career 51.1% free throw percentage? And as a rebounder, Shaq's numbers don't even come close to matching those of a much smaller Dennis Rodman, and they are not even in the same area code as Wilt's.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar believes that you are wrong.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar CHECKS Scottie Pippen About Saying Lebron James & Michael Jordan Are Best Ballers Of All Time

Unlike Shaq, Wilt Chamberlain was still in great shape when he retired. Like Shaq, he was a bad free throw shooter but in his final NBA season, Wilt set the NBA record for FG% at 72.7% and averaged 18.7 rebounds per game and dished out 4.7 assists per game and added his second NBA championship to his resume.

Do you think that Wilt was not constantly hacked because of his career 51.1% free throw percentage? And as a rebounder, Shaq's numbers don't even come close to matching those of a much smaller Dennis Rodman, and they are not even in the same area code as Wilt's.

Nice stats.
But we all know how reliable comparing stats from different eras with different sets of rules and players.
No one you mentioned in their prime could consistently guard Shaq in his prime.
zaga_fan Wrote:Nice stats.
But we all know how reliable comparing stats from different eras with different sets of rules and players.
No one you mentioned in their prime could consistently guard Shaq in his prime.
Wilt would have run Shaq into the ground and there is no way that Shaq would have shut him down defensively - Shaq is no Bill Russell and the best that Russell could do was slow Chamberlain down.

Although I was never a Kareem fan, nobody who has ever walked this planet could defend the sky hook. Players just tried to push him further away from the goal and pray that he had an off night.

As I said, it is a shame that Shaq spent so much of his career out of shape and injured. He has been a great player but he had the potential to be much, much better than he was.
[quote=Wildcatk23]Maybe if people wasnt trying to kill him every play as well.

IMO shaq would have dominated every center u mentioned.[/QUOTE]

Words of wisdom from a kid who has not only not seen any of the afore mentioned play, but is too young to even remember when O'Neal came into the league. :yawn:
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Wilt would have run Shaq into the ground and there is no way that Shaq would have shut him down defensively - Shaq is no Bill Russell and the best that Russell could do was slow Chamberlain down.

Although I was never a Kareem fan, nobody who has ever walked this planet could defend the sky hook. Players just tried to push him further away from the goal and pray that he had an off night.

As I said, it is a shame that Shaq spent so much of his career out of shape and injured. He has been a great player but he had the potential to be much, much better than he was.

Hoot believe it or not, I did once see Wilt block one of those sky hooks. This was when Wilt was with the Lakers and Kareem was with still with the Bucks.

Still ,as you said even in the latter years of Kareems career all of the young modern day up and comers could still not defend the old dinosaur and the sky hook.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Wilt would have run Shaq into the ground and there is no way that Shaq would have shut him down defensively - Shaq is no Bill Russell and the best that Russell could do was slow Chamberlain down.

Let me rephrase.
None of these guys could guard Shaq.
Shaq got a few blocks in his day but most of the time he was lucky to be at half-court by the time the ball was coming back the other way.
Shaq's size in strength simply isn't something those guys ever had to play against.
zaga_fan Wrote:Let me rephrase.
None of these guys could guard Shaq.
Shaq got a few blocks in his day but most of the time he was lucky to be at half-court by the time the ball was coming back the other way.
Shaq's size in strength simply isn't something those guys ever had to play against.
In a purely half court game, I agree that Shaq was a terror offensively - but so was Chamberlain and Wilt could also run the floor with any big man who has played the game. Those who say that Shaq was the most dominant big man ever to play sound silly.

Milwaukee finished dead last in its division the year before the Bucks drafted Kareem and won the NBA title. That is dominance. Kareem is the NBA's all time leading scorer and he says that Wilt was the greatest scorer that he has ever seen play.

That should end all discussion of whether Shaq was the most dominant big man of all time - but kids will be kids and nobody wants to believe that somebody from their grandfather's generation could have possibly been better than any of their contemporaries.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:In a purely half court game, I agree that Shaq was a terror offensively - but so was Chamberlain and Wilt could also run the floor with any big man who has played the game. Those who say that Shaq was the most dominant big man ever to play sound silly.

Milwaukee finished dead last in its division the year before the Bucks drafted Kareem and won the NBA title. That is dominance. Kareem is the NBA's all time leading scorer and he says that Wilt was the greatest scorer that he has ever seen play.

That should end all discussion of whether Shaq was the most dominant big man of all time - but kids will be kids and nobody wants to believe that somebody from their grandfather's generation could have possibly been better than any of their contemporaries.

Fogies will be fogies and nobody wants to believe that someone from their grandson's generation could possibly better than any of their contemporaries.
This man has destroyed more basketball goals that we have probably played on.
We can argue until the end of time but no one will ever win this one.
I don't care if you have been watching basketball since it was played with peach baskets. It is impossible to make comparisons across generations like that.
IMO the way things have evolved over time you can't make a definitive argument for either side.
zaga_fan Wrote:Fogies will be fogies and nobody wants to believe that someone from their grandson's generation could possibly better than any of their contemporaries.
This man has destroyed more basketball goals that we have probably played on.
We can argue until the end of time but no one will ever win this one.
I don't care if you have been watching basketball since it was played with peach baskets. It is impossible to make comparisons across generations like that.
IMO the way things have evolved over time you can't make a definitive argument for either side.
What you can do is watch video clips and see with your own eyes that Wilt showed up for work in shape to play basketball and Shaq...not so much. Like it or not, the opinions of guys like Kareem who played against Chamberlain and have remained involved with the game their entire lives matter far more than those of today's fans who think the number of shattered backboards a player left in his wake is a measure of how "dominate" they were.
Kareem never played against Shaq either. No center that has ever played the game could stop Shaq in his prime on the offensive end. Nobody. And in today's game or even in te 80s or 90s, there is no way that someone could average in the 20s in rebounds and that includes Wilt and Russell.
Shaq was a 15-time All-Star & played w/ 6 different teams. Only 10-time All-Star to play w/ more teams was Moses Malone (7).
He is also 1 of 4 players to average 23 PPG, 10 RPG & 50.0 FG pct. Others are Kareem, Wilt & Karl Malone.
As well as 13 seasons of 20 PPG and 10 RPG, more than any other player in NBA history. Kareem/Wilt/Hakeem had 12 each.
LClion4life Wrote:Shaq was a 15-time All-Star & played w/ 6 different teams. Only 10-time All-Star to play w/ more teams was Moses Malone (7).
He is also 1 of 4 players to average 23 PPG, 10 RPG & 50.0 FG pct. Others are Kareem, Wilt & Karl Malone.
As well as 13 seasons of 20 PPG and 10 RPG, more than any other player in NBA history. Kareem/Wilt/Hakeem had 12 each.
Wilt was the only player to average 50 points and 25 rebounds in a season. Wilt averaged 18.5 rebounds per game in his worst season. Shaq averaged 13.9 rpg in his best season.

Shaq's number of All-Star appearances during his career is a reflection of the number of years he played. It took Shaq 19 years to accumulate career stats that still do not compare to the one's that Wilt put up in 14 years. Wilt retired while he was still in great physical condition.

Wilt led the NBA in minutes played per game 8 times. In Wilt's 14th and last season, he played 43 minutes per game. Shaq only managed to average 40 minutes per game (40.0 to be exact) once in his entire career. He could have hung around the league for many more years as his skills declined like Shaq did, but instead he retired after a great season.

You guys who think that Shaq, who was overweight and under-conditioned for most of his career, would have dominated a well conditioned, skilled, 7-1, 275 lb. center like Wilt Chamberlain are just kidding yourself. Wilt would have scored at will against Shaq, just as he against the centers who tried to guard him in his day. Wilt would have been too quick for Shaq and he would have consistently beaten Shaq up and down the floor.

As I said, I really like Shaq, but it is a shame that he never played up to his full potential. Wilt did play up to his potential and he was the most dominant center in the history of the game by a wide margin. Instead of sticking around for a paycheck as his skills declined, Wilt retired with many good seasons ahead of him following a very productive season.
Glad I got to see Shaq as I grew up..the NBA wont be the same.
Pages: 1 2 3