Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spring Practice
nky Wrote:just going by what the coach told the newspaper

With all respect, if you are referring to what Dale told the newspaper in the linked article, I did not read in the article that Dale said spring football was mandatory. He said almost all players attended spring football, including those that participate in track and baseball but he did not say those multi sport athletes attended every Spring football practice.

Dale works closely with the baseball and track coaches to coordinate schedules. I hate talking in absolutes because there is usually an exception that gets thrown up in my face, but from what I've observed over the many years I've watched Highlands Spring football, most of the baseball players miss a large majority of the Spring Football practices. They might make 3 or 4, but that's about it. Most attend on the days that the baseball coach doesn't have baseball at all or when the weather is so bad that the baseball coach tells his players that also play football to go to football practice.
Anyone wonder why the Highlands coach would want to mandantory practice for the team? One reason: Highlands @ Boyle to start the season.

Every day in practice Coach French and Co. are getting our boys ready for that game. The Highlands boys had better be going to every practice because the BC boys are out to make a statement when the season opens.

Don't forget: Black/White game tonight @ 6:00. Go Rebels!
Will the impression be similiar to the impression your freshmen left last year?
Touche. I hope the showing the next time is better............that game was a slaughter.

Honestly speaking, after last year's attrition I have reservations about this season. However, I will reserve judgement until I can see them on the field. Anytime you put 10 starters on the all area team, including your entire offensive line, and lose 8 of them to graduation there are significant voids to fill, and replacing an O-line takes time to gell.

Overall, by the 2-deep at the state tourney we will be losing 8 starters on offense, 6 on defense, with a couple of those spots boys going both ways.
How does Highlands look from last year to this year?
jackal405 Wrote:Touche. I hope the showing the next time is better............that game was a slaughter.

Honestly speaking, after last year's attrition I have reservations about this season. However, I will reserve judgement until I can see them on the field. Anytime you put 10 starters on the all area team, including your entire offensive line, and lose 8 of them to graduation there are significant voids to fill, and replacing an O-line takes time to gell.

Overall, by the 2-deep at the state tourney we will be losing 8 starters on offense, 6 on defense, with a couple of those spots boys going both ways.
How does Highlands look from last year to this year?

Just looked at the 2-deep on the State Tournament site, and by that, Highlands is losing 7 on both sides of the ball, but none were going both ways. Due to injuries last season, there were a lot of players who saw significant playing time during the season and should be really comfortable starting this year.
After several days of mulling over the black/white game Thursday I am still not sold on what the 2011 season will be like for Boyle. The one area of greatest concern in my opinion continues to be the O-line. The skill positions appear well, D-Line looked decent. However, the running game suffered as a result of the line. If boys don't step up it could be a rough year. If the line can come together the rest of the pieces are there.

If anyone has Highlands info it would be appreciated.