•  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coach Salmons Out at Lawrence County!!!!
What is going on at Lawrence County?
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:Just rumors I have heard the same thing about sheldon clark for years too and I do not think it is possible to take away aports teams. That wasn't really the point of my post I am just wanting to know the Lawrence County fans point of view on the whole subject. I am the kind of person that wants every child to suceed in every way possible. I just want to know if it is really that bad in Lawrence county for people from Bulldog country to say that, as the only people that have told me this rumor are current students in the system that tell me most of their teachers are there for little more than a Paycheck. I AM IN NO WAY TRYING TO TALK DOWN TO LC FANS OR OFFEND ANYONE. I just want to know if all of this is true, If it is really that bad.

I have a child in the LC school system. I also know several teachers. I can tell you that the kids that say the teachers are only there for a paycheck are not accurate. I wonder if these same kids tell their parents that they roam the hallways, skip classes, and do not complete homework? Yeah it is the teachers fault today. Blame someone else, the American way.

The state will not take away extra-curricular activities. From my understanding, the only thing they could potentially do is make some restrictions (ex. limit the distance on weeknights for teams to travel for games). The state does not have the power to strip a school of athletics simply because of test scores. This was a rumor started by someone that didn't know the situation entirely.

From what I've been hearing, the LC school system and especially the high school, is about to lose a few really good teachers if things do not straighten up. A couple more coaches too. This could be a rumor, but the people I am hearing it from have always had valuable inside information. I've heard a couple names, head coach and assistants. Sad times, indeed.
Came back today the committee said no to Copley. First because how bad he is as a coach green up should have beat lc but he couldn't get plays in and cost them the game and because at least five kids said they would leave if they hire a coach who hasn't had a winning season been fired from two jobs in three years and runs an offense that's 20 years past it's prime. LC needs to find a qualified coach who will motivate the kids
mr.charlie hustle Wrote:I do not believe that any rationale individual would hold that athletics should take presidence over education. Having said that,witholding money and support from sports is like telling your 4.0 quarterback with a 30 ACT that he can't play football until the mean average GPA for the school is 2.5 and the ACT is 20. With your opinion I don't suppose you would purchase a volleyball for P.E CLASS. We could not have class because we could not pay the teacher.
This is a problem in that our Ed. Curr. would be incomplete.
If you look at the team GPA's of say a Lexington Catholic or Louisville Trinity you will find them above average. Stanford and Duke team's have above average GPA's. The reason why is because everyone involved with these student athletes, parents, teachers and coaches will not accept mediocrity in the classroom or on the playing field. Many a great high school athlete has not been able to further their education because they did not have the grades to get into college. My point is that if everyone was forced to focus on the GPA, including coaches, more successful and well rounded individuals would be better prepared for the education and/or job market. As to the PE classes, these have turned into practice sessions for the various varsity programs. I agree that PE/Health should be a vital part of the curriculum available to all students on a daily basis.
Dawgeers,
I too have been hearing about a few more assistant coaches and head coaches upset with the situation and lack of support by the administration who are wanting to leave. I have heard from many reliable sources in the community that the baseball coach is on his way out too its a matter of time. My opinion is that he will stay for this season and leave after this year because baseball has nothing to look forward to.

As for the coaching search to replace salmons. Alan Shorts name has been thrown around quite a bit, would he be fit for the job? he is very young, not saying he doesn't know the game, but wouldnt' we want a coach lilke Hager from Sheldon Clark to take over, someone with deep playoff success, and has a history of winning?
I too heard late last night that Coach Hagar from Sheldon Clark has applied for the position. I would be satisfied with Hagar or Burchett being the head man for LC.
billnnn Wrote:Came back today the committee said no to Copley. First because how bad he is as a coach green up should have beat lc but he couldn't get plays in and cost them the game and because at least five kids said they would leave if they hire a coach who hasn't had a winning season been fired from two jobs in three years and runs an offense that's 20 years past it's prime. LC needs to find a qualified coach who will motivate the kids
lol. There is nothing wrong with that type of offense. It will win in high school. You think that either Burchett or Hagar runs something different (or Matney?, or Haywood?)?
Bob Seger Wrote:lol. There is nothing wrong with that type of offense. It will win in high school. You think that either Burchett or Hagar runs something different (or Matney?, or Haywood?)?

Its not the offense I dont believe was the problem, it was the way it was prepared and ran. Trying to run that type of offense with a wristband and a " check with me " on the sidelines before each snap style just didnt work.
Came back today the committee said no to Copley. Total Joke if they don’t think Copley is not a good fit for this program.

because how bad he is as a coach green up should have beat lc but he couldn't get plays in and cost them the game and because at least five kids said they would leave if they hire a coach who hasn't had a winning season been fired from two jobs. First It’s really sad to think we are contemplating letting kids decide anything about who’s good for this position. Sounds like a spoiled brat. Second he never was fired from GC, he choose to leave. Third you better check your stats, his offense was top 5 in the state in rushing. The Belly is what LC was built on. in three years and runs an offense that's 20 years past it's prime. LC needs to find a qualified coach who will motivate the kids

COPLEY IS A PERFECT FIT!!!!!!
TSSI Wrote:Came back today the committee said no to Copley. Total Joke if they don’t think Copley is not a good fit for this program.

because how bad he is as a coach green up should have beat lc but he couldn't get plays in and cost them the game and because at least five kids said they would leave if they hire a coach who hasn't had a winning season been fired from two jobs. First It’s really sad to think we are contemplating letting kids decide anything about who’s good for this position. Sounds like a spoiled brat. Second he never was fired from GC, he choose to leave. Third you better check your stats, his offense was top 5 in the state in rushing. The Belly is what LC was built on. in three years and runs an offense that's 20 years past it's prime. LC needs to find a qualified coach who will motivate the kids

COPLEY IS A PERFECT FIT!!!!!!

Stats dont matter when you have a lousy season. Copley is unproven at Pikeville and at Greenup. LC can do better than Copley and I believe they will. The smart hire is to bring in someone who has been successful as a Head Coach, this is why you keep hearing the names Hagar and Burchett come up repeatedly.
Unproven is correct. He has never been around long enough at both programs to see what he can do given three or so seasons. The job he did at GC was a good one, given what he had to build on.
He would stay around at LC and be here for a long time. Just my thoughts. I do know that Burchett is not interested... I heard this from a reliable source. Hager i truly cannot speak to, I dont know enough about him to comment.
Burchett wont apply. Copley will, and he being friends with Cook will get the job.
If Copley gets the job, he will bury the program to the ground. In a way that wouldn't surprise me bc it seems like the administration loves to make decisions that bury our sports programs and give all the money to tennis and band!!!
Kosar Wrote:Burchett wont apply. Copley will, and he being friends with Cook will get the job.

I hope for Hagar or Burchett and would be really dissapointed with anyone else that was mentioned besides these two. Honestly I wish LC could find a coach that would stay around for 30+ years like Lutz at Ironton. LC needs to build some consistency.
Well until everyone starts to get along and gets football off this pedestal things are not going to get better. We have a good football program but we have had other good programs in the past before that have never received the recognition that they deserved. Until every organization begins to work as one school these problems will continue.
Mark 11:23 "For assuredly, I say to you, whoever says to this MOUNTAIN, `Be removed and be cast into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that those things he says will come to pass, he will have whatever he says. NKJ
Coach Hager has not applied for the job and that is a fact
Jed Clampett Wrote:Coach Hager has not applied for the job and that is a fact

As I had mentioned on an earlier post, I had heard that Coach Hager had applied, but it was not confirmed, so I would have to classify it strictly a rumor.
how have the numbers been in the weight room? What coaches have been overseeing the weightroom activities?
bulldog4life Wrote:how have the numbers been in the weight room? What coaches have been overseeing the weightroom activities?

Good question.
Anyone close to the program in the know?
As a member of the upcoming senior class for the dawgs, we have been hit with alot in the last couple of weeks. Most of you may not know this, but coach salmons has not been our coach since our freshman year....hes been our coach since 7th grade. He got the job when we were freshman, so we have been with salmons for 5 years. We were all deeply shocked when he announced to us that he was resigning and now would be the hc at cabell midland. There was alot of mixed emotions. Some people understood, and some people hated him for it. Thats just the way it is. The seniors called a team meeting, the next day after he made his announcement, to discuss who would be tranfering and how we felt after all this (coach preece had announced he would be leaving just days before). From what ive heard, alot of things had happend between salmons and the school district behind closed doors and none of the adults want us to get involved in the politics. We are not asking to choose our next coach....we just want to be as involved as possible. This is our senior year. As any football player knows, u want ur senior year to be ur best and to go out with a bang. None of us are going anywhere. Count on it.
Defiant, i appreciate your message and good to hear that you as a team are sticking together. I've played with some of you in the past and I will always support you.

I want to ask a question to you if you may know any information. Are any of the assistant coaches going to hang around or have they been in the weight room at all since coach salmons left?
Defiant Wrote:As a member of the upcoming senior class for the dawgs, we have been hit with alot in the last couple of weeks. Most of you may not know this, but coach salmons has not been our coach since our freshman year....hes been our coach since 7th grade. He got the job when we were freshman, so we have been with salmons for 5 years. We were all deeply shocked when he announced to us that he was resigning and now would be the hc at cabell midland. There was alot of mixed emotions. Some people understood, and some people hated him for it. Thats just the way it is. The seniors called a team meeting, the next day after he made his announcement, to discuss who would be tranfering and how we felt after all this (coach preece had announced he would be leaving just days before). From what ive heard, alot of things had happend between salmons and the school district behind closed doors and none of the adults want us to get involved in the politics. We are not asking to choose our next coach....we just want to be as involved as possible. This is our senior year. As any football player knows, u want ur senior year to be ur best and to go out with a bang. None of us are going anywhere. Count on it.
That is what a TEAM does. Stick together and control what you can. Stay positive. Great post.
Defiant Wrote:As a member of the upcoming senior class for the dawgs, we have been hit with alot in the last couple of weeks. Most of you may not know this, but coach salmons has not been our coach since our freshman year....hes been our coach since 7th grade. He got the job when we were freshman, so we have been with salmons for 5 years. We were all deeply shocked when he announced to us that he was resigning and now would be the hc at cabell midland. There was alot of mixed emotions. Some people understood, and some people hated him for it. Thats just the way it is. The seniors called a team meeting, the next day after he made his announcement, to discuss who would be tranfering and how we felt after all this (coach preece had announced he would be leaving just days before). From what ive heard, alot of things had happend between salmons and the school district behind closed doors and none of the adults want us to get involved in the politics. We are not asking to choose our next coach....we just want to be as involved as possible. This is our senior year. As any football player knows, u want ur senior year to be ur best and to go out with a bang. None of us are going anywhere. Count on it.

Great post

Transfer??? To where? Just a bunch of idle, unknowledgable, and frustrated threatening talk here. Do you not realize that the KHSAA requires that you have to actually move to a residence in another school district and actually live in that residence before you even enroll at the new school to be eligible? Only then can you even begin to be considered by the KHSAA to be an eligible transfer and play the next year. Of course you can always sit out a year if you dont want to do that , but that makes it all highly unlikely that any senior is going to go anywhere to begin with. You're trying to make it sound like all you have to do is just quit one school one day and then you can automaticly play at another school the next day. It doesn't work that way.
Bob Seger Wrote:Transfer??? To where? Just a bunch of idle unknowledgable talk here. Do you not realize that you have to actually move to a residence in another school district and actually live in that residence before you even enroll at the new school? Only then can you even begin to be considered by the KHSAA to be an eligible transfer and play the next year. Of course you can always sit out a year if you dont want to do that , but that makes it all unlikely that any senior is going to go anywhere. You make it sound like all you have to do is just quit one place one day and play at another place the next. It doesn't work that way.

I know it doesnt work that way. we are just talkin about who would go with salmons. Unknowledgeable talk?? I'm just stating the facts. Maybe next time u can come and moderate our conversations.
Batpuff usually has a lot to say regarding Lawrence County but I have not heard hardly anything out of him. Batpuff, what coaches from the staff will be back and which will be gone?
Defiant Wrote:I know it doesnt work that way. we are just talkin about who would go with salmons. Unknowledgeable talk?? I'm just stating the facts. Maybe next time u can come and moderate our conversations.
Moderate? What's there to moderate? You're just (understandibly) stating frustration at the situation more than anything. You are either not thinking about what all is involved in transferring or you don't even know what all is involved in the first place. Follow him anywhere you want, go anywhere else you want, it's not going to matter. The bottom line is that if you don't do what I just outlined, your not going to be able to play anywhere, anyways. Just food for thought.
Not that it has anything to do with this form but I can give you a list of people who has transfered to other school and got by with it. Several from LC some to LC and around the other county's. So it can and has been done. ALOT in all sports
dawgbyte02 Wrote:If you look at the team GPA's of say a Lexington Catholic or Louisville Trinity you will find them above average. Stanford and Duke team's have above average GPA's. The reason why is because everyone involved with these student athletes, parents, teachers and coaches will not accept mediocrity in the classroom or on the playing field. Many a great high school athlete has not been able to further their education because they did not have the grades to get into college. My point is that if everyone was forced to focus on the GPA, including coaches, more successful and well rounded individuals would be better prepared for the education and/or job market. As to the PE classes, these have turned into practice sessions for the various varsity programs. I agree that PE/Health should be a vital part of the curriculum available to all students on a daily basis.
The two High Schools are private and can pick and choose students and athletes at will. The two colleges are very exclusive in their own right. I am afraid you can't force anything. You can only encourage and stimulate.
Burchett will stick with Powell Co. I thinks he owns a home near there, and his wife works in the Lexington area. I don't see him uprooting for another head coaching job.
If Hager is as smart as I think he is, he will stay with Sheldon Clark. He has a top rate facility, great fan support, and what appears to be an administration who support the football program.
In my opinion Copely would be an excellent choice for Lawrence. Given time I believe he could take Lawrence to the next level.
However I don't have any say in who is hired, but I do think Lawrence needs to look at home grown coaches because they will stick around to continue to develop the program. Good luck Bulldogs in your search.
  •  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next