•  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coach Salmons Out at Lawrence County!!!!
you all are missing the point, i played for salmons this year and i can recall him saying there's no place like Lawrence County, i love you guys and I WOULDN'T LEAVE THIS PLACE FOR ANYTHING. i was really close to coach more than you knew, he favored how LC was different, how everyone could have totally different stories but yet come together in not just athletics but how there was no diversity in the school as well. Coach would always say that in other places coaches didn't care about you and didn't try to get you in college..... but whats he saying now bonding with this senior class coming up that he had since freshman and now they have to adapt to a new coach and a new style of playing. not just athletics but i know every kid could go to salmons for anything and he'd look at them as a friend. bonding with these kids who he knows is way better than the kids at cabell and a totally different environment. he'll hate it there. i just don't see how u could bond with a group of kids then leave them like that. money or not in his shoes i wouldn't leave for anything. hes crushed kids heart s and hopes for a run in state this year in 3-A and now their dropped you can see because his best wrestlers have quit the team already.

catdawg- im a student at lc and for 1. its the staffs problem in education. not the kids. you can worry bout that but you think the boys give a hoot when the teachers are there for a paycheck and act like they dont. NO salmons and the football program is all they thrive on as well as the community people like you are only worried bout the education cause the staff is worried bout them loosing their jobs from the state.
I guess we will see if everyone is replaceable. I hate to see LC lose another very good coach. Good luck coach Salmons
batpuff Wrote:well he fought with the administration until he was blue in the face trying to get stuff done and look what happens ran another great person and coach off.
And for who they hire i hope its not copley.

if i had a choice it would be blake preece, or alan short. And copley would be a good one to i feel. But they don't need to try to teach the belly to this senior class. So i got to go with blake he is a winner all the way around and been there in the good and the bad if he would take it. I know they did him totally wrong but here is their chance to make it right. Kiser got a golden arm and need someone to let him use it. And i think lc gonna be better off without sammons not saying he is not a good person and all. But really didn't like his style can't run same play 95% of the time especially against teams like bell co. Don't believe me go back and watch the film stretch play to james over and over again all season long. Not sure if he knew any other play. And batpuff only reason you don't want copley is it because he won't let you stand on sidelines anymore.
SweetLemonade Wrote:you all are missing the point, i played for salmons this year and i can recall him saying there's no place like Lawrence County, i love you guys and I WOULDN'T LEAVE THIS PLACE FOR ANYTHING. i was really close to coach more than you knew, he favored how LC was different, how everyone could have totally different stories but yet come together in not just athletics but how there was no diversity in the school as well. Coach would always say that in other places coaches didn't care about you and didn't try to get you in college..... but whats he saying now bonding with this senior class coming up that he had since freshman and now they have to adapt to a new coach and a new style of playing. not just athletics but i know every kid could go to salmons for anything and he'd look at them as a friend. bonding with these kids who he knows is way better than the kids at cabell and a totally different environment. he'll hate it there. i just don't see how u could bond with a group of kids then leave them like that. money or not in his shoes i wouldn't leave for anything. hes crushed kids heart s and hopes for a run in state this year in 3-A and now their dropped you can see because his best wrestlers have quit the team already.

catdawg- im a student at lc and for 1. its the staffs problem in education. not the kids. you can worry bout that but you think the boys give a hoot when the teachers are there for a paycheck and act like they dont. NO salmons and the football program is all they thrive on as well as the community people like you are only worried bout the education cause the staff is worried bout them loosing their jobs from the state.
Thanks for sharing a player's perspective here. While I agree that schools can't bow to players - it is sure is nice to take their voice into consideration.

I'd expect any good coach to do his level best to build a rapport with his players. That makes him a better coach but it makes any sort of unexpected departure that much harder for the players (and the coach).
SweetLemonade Wrote:catdawg- im a student at lc and for 1. its the staffs problem in education. not the kids. you can worry bout that but you think the boys give a hoot when the teachers are there for a paycheck and act like they dont. NO salmons and the football program is all they thrive on as well as the community people like you are only worried bout the education cause the staff is worried bout them loosing their jobs from the state.

He will do fine at Midland because he'll have the resources. No one said it was the kids problem with the LC educational system. However, if people would worry half as much about the education side instead of the sports side our schools wouldn't be in the shape that they happen to currently be. I agree about the problem with some of the teachers and that is why the administration should be more worried about changing those problems instead of sports. Like I said I love sports and especially football but it is about time we start worrying about the education that our kids ARE NOT receiving. As for the last part of your comment I'm not sure what you were meaning but I understand that you and the team are upset and I would be if i were in your position. Furthermore, if Louisa is every going to have more than sports or football as one said we have to improve the educational system of the entire school district.
Mark 11:23 "For assuredly, I say to you, whoever says to this MOUNTAIN, `Be removed and be cast into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that those things he says will come to pass, he will have whatever he says. NKJ
Jerry Wrote:if i had a choice it would be blake preece, or alan short. And copley would be a good one to i feel. But they don't need to try to teach the belly to this senior class. So i got to go with blake he is a winner all the way around and been there in the good and the bad if he would take it. I know they did him totally wrong but here is their chance to make it right. Kiser got a golden arm and need someone to let him use it. And i think lc gonna be better off without sammons not saying he is not a good person and all. But really didn't like his style can't run same play 95% of the time especially against teams like bell co. Don't believe me go back and watch the film stretch play to james over and over again all season long. Not sure if he knew any other play. And batpuff only reason you don't want copley is it because he won't let you stand on sidelines anymore.
Ouch!!!........ lol

:popcorn:
SweetLemonade Wrote:you all are missing the point, i played for salmons this year and i can recall him saying there's no place like Lawrence County, i love you guys and I WOULDN'T LEAVE THIS PLACE FOR ANYTHING. i was really close to coach more than you knew, he favored how LC was different, how everyone could have totally different stories but yet come together in not just athletics but how there was no diversity in the school as well. Coach would always say that in other places coaches didn't care about you and didn't try to get you in college..... but whats he saying now bonding with this senior class coming up that he had since freshman and now they have to adapt to a new coach and a new style of playing. not just athletics but i know every kid could go to salmons for anything and he'd look at them as a friend. bonding with these kids who he knows is way better than the kids at cabell and a totally different environment. he'll hate it there. i just don't see how u could bond with a group of kids then leave them like that. money or not in his shoes i wouldn't leave for anything. hes crushed kids heart s and hopes for a run in state this year in 3-A and now their dropped you can see because his best wrestlers have quit the team already.

Coach Burchett is one of the best guys you will ever meet. If he is the next coach, the boys will love him. Trust me, Lawrence County wouldn't go anywhere but up with him as head coach.
So whats going on @ LC. Lost the B-Ball,Football,and saw on a different post that the Softball team has lost coaches. Need to figure this out. I realize that Education is what a high school is about, but take away the sports team and then you take the school pride. Just how i see it.
CatDawg Wrote:He will do fine at Midland because he'll have the resources. No one said it was the kids problem with the LC educational system. However, if people would worry half as much about the education side instead of the sports side our schools wouldn't be in the shape that they happen to currently be. I agree about the problem with some of the teachers and that is why the administration should be more worried about changing those problems instead of sports. Like I said I love sports and especially football but it is about time we start worrying about the education that our kids ARE NOT receiving. As for the last part of your comment I'm not sure what you were meaning but I understand that you and the team are upset and I would be if i were in your position. Furthermore, if Louisa is every going to have more than sports or football as one said we have to improve the educational system of the entire school district.

Just a honest question here no need for everyone to get defensive. But I have heard that If LC does not get their educational system back on track the state is going to take away competitave sports teams. Now Im not sure if this is possible for the state to do, but either way if the school is really that bad then there are alot bigger problems than sports.
Jerry Wrote:if i had a choice it would be blake preece, or alan short. And copley would be a good one to i feel. But they don't need to try to teach the belly to this senior class. So i got to go with blake he is a winner all the way around and been there in the good and the bad if he would take it. I know they did him totally wrong but here is their chance to make it right. Kiser got a golden arm and need someone to let him use it. And i think lc gonna be better off without sammons not saying he is not a good person and all. But really didn't like his style can't run same play 95% of the time especially against teams like bell co. Don't believe me go back and watch the film stretch play to james over and over again all season long. Not sure if he knew any other play. And batpuff only reason you don't want copley is it because he won't let you stand on sidelines anymore.
Well if you think thats all I did was stand on the sideline then so be it but people close to the program know different they know that I spent at least 14 hours a day at the locker, and trust me Copley is not what LC needs.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[YOUTUBE="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y2Ezx8SnN0"][/YOUTUBE]
WildDawg Wrote:Coach Burchett is one of the best guys you will ever meet. If he is the next coach, the boys will love him. Trust me, Lawrence County wouldn't go anywhere but up with him as head coach.

Being liked is overrated and doesn't always result in having a good football coach.
Brooks4Prez Wrote:Being liked is overrated and doesn't always result in having a good football coach.

I diagree, if the boys like you and are willing to play as hard as they can for you then it makes for a winning team. Fundamentals and desire is about it.
You can say all you want to about what players will or will not like the coach, if the players do not play. I've heard from many people and some of my former classmates and teammates at lawrence county that a few players on next years team are either going to transfer or go to midland with coach salmons. I could really see Combs being one of these people going to midland next year. I would hate to see this happen as I feel LC could be a good team, but if players do not come out next season or transfer out, we will be in big trouble. Has anyone talked to coach cecil, skinner, altobello, or bruce this week to see if they will be back next year?
I would hate to see some of the boys transfer. They have a chance to be a good team next year. I guess playing for Lawrence County doesn't mean as much to these boys as it use to. If Coach Burchett comes along Combs would be missing out on one of the best offensive line coaches in the mountains. Even better than Salmons IMO.

Great post. The players I have talked to are let down because a week ago he told them he was not going anywhere. I think he could have told his players that everyone should look closely at any opportunity that comes their way. They feel deceived by how this transpired. They understand about more money, better for family, etc. They do not understand how a coach can go from telling them on Tuesday how tough they are going to have it at football camp this summer to the very next day I'm going to Cabell Midland. Any coach deserving of the title must remember that he/she holds the hearts and minds of these kids in their hands and that is an awesome responsibility. I am not sure Coach understands how many folks are disappointed in him, not for improving his lot in life, but how he went about it.
Batpuff Wrote:Well if you think thats all I did was stand on the sideline then so be it but people close to the program know different they know that I spent at least 14 hours a day at the locker, and trust me Copley is not what LC needs.

JUST MESSING WITH YOU I KNOW YOU HAVE AND WE APPRECIATE ALL YOU DO FOR LAWRENCE CO. FOOTBALL. YOUR JUST TO EASY TO GET FIRED UP THATS WHY EVERYONE MESSES WITH YOU. :biggrin:
WildDawg Wrote:I would hate to see some of the boys transfer. They have a chance to be a good team next year. I guess playing for Lawrence County doesn't mean as much to these boys as it use to. If Coach Burchett comes along Combs would be missing out on one of the best offensive line coaches in the mountains. Even better than Salmons IMO.
No one said the Combs kid is leaving.
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:Just a honest question here no need for everyone to get defensive. But I have heard that If LC does not get their educational system back on track the state is going to take away competitave sports teams. Now Im not sure if this is possible for the state to do, but either way if the school is really that bad then there are alot bigger problems than sports.
PTF,certainly not to be defensive at all, but rather to expand somewhat on your concept. Could you share the origin of potential sports cessation as a result of educational difficulty with us? This is extremely hard to fathom in lieu of another system in EK recieving assistance by the State Dept. of Ed.on more than one occasion. Much could be said about that. This matter does not appear to be legally defendable. I just wonder if it has happened in Ky. or any other state or have I just taken the bait?
bulldog4life Wrote:You can say all you want to about what players will or will not like the coach, if the players do not play. I've heard from many people and some of my former classmates and teammates at lawrence county that a few players on next years team are either going to transfer or go to midland with coach salmons. I could really see Combs being one of these people going to midland next year. I would hate to see this happen as I feel LC could be a good team, but if players do not come out next season or transfer out, we will be in big trouble. Has anyone talked to coach cecil, skinner, altobello, or bruce this week to see if they will be back next year?
Anyone doing this is searching for fools gold. Unless you are going to transfer to a nationally ranked team most players that transfer only find disappointment. I have watched several players over the years transfer to other local schools for better recognition, more playing time, chance to be on a perceived championship team, going with coach etc. and it rarely works out in the players favor. If we spent 1/10 the time and money on worrying about academics instead of athletics more kids would get academic scholarships. There are 5 times as many academic scholarships handed out as athletic. My personal opinion is that until Lawrence County can improve academically not one single dime should be spent on sports.
How about this.........Burchett and Copley.......Burchett coached Copley and they are good friends to this day....If I was the AD I would get both. They would be happy coaching together.
VikingFan Wrote:How about this.........Burchett and Copley.......Burchett coached Copley and they are good friends to this day....If I was the AD I would get both. They would be happy coaching together.

I think its a better chance of seeing Burchett and Alan Short instead of Copley.
dawgbyte02 Wrote:Anyone doing this is searching for fools gold. Unless you are going to transfer to a nationally ranked team most players that transfer only find disappointment. I have watched several players over the years transfer to other local schools for better recognition, more playing time, chance to be on a perceived championship team, going with coach etc. and it rarely works out in the players favor. If we spent 1/10 the time and money on worrying about academics instead of athletics more kids would get academic scholarships. There are 5 times as many academic scholarships handed out as athletic. My personal opinion is that until Lawrence County can improve academically not one single dime should be spent on sports.
I do not believe that any rationale individual would hold that athletics should take presidence over education. Having said that,witholding money and support from sports is like telling your 4.0 quarterback with a 30 ACT that he can't play football until the mean average GPA for the school is 2.5 and the ACT is 20. With your opinion I don't suppose you would purchase a volleyball for P.E CLASS. We could not have class because we could not pay the teacher.
This is a problem in that our Ed. Curr. would be incomplete.
mr.charlie hustle Wrote:PTF,certainly not to be defensive at all, but rather to expand somewhat on your concept. Could you share the origin of potential sports cessation as a result of educational difficulty with us? This is extremely hard to fathom in lieu of another system in EK recieving assistance by the State Dept. of Ed.on more than one occasion. Much could be said about that. This matter does not appear to be legally defendable. I just wonder if it has happened in Ky. or any other state or have I just taken the bait?

Just rumors I have heard the same thing about sheldon clark for years too and I do not think it is possible to take away aports teams. That wasn't really the point of my post I am just wanting to know the Lawrence County fans point of view on the whole subject. I am the kind of person that wants every child to suceed in every way possible. I just want to know if it is really that bad in Lawrence county for people from Bulldog country to say that, as the only people that have told me this rumor are current students in the system that tell me most of their teachers are there for little more than a Paycheck. I AM IN NO WAY TRYING TO TALK DOWN TO LC FANS OR OFFEND ANYONE. I just want to know if all of this is true, If it is really that bad.
Football1 Wrote:Thanks for sharing a player's perspective here. While I agree that schools can't bow to players - it is sure is nice to take their voice into consideration.

I'd expect any good coach to do his level best to build a rapport with his players. That makes him a better coach but it makes any sort of unexpected departure that much harder for the players (and the coach).

Thank you FB1. I didn't mean completely listen to them. I meant take their want into consideration. At least keep all the assistants that you can.
Brooks4Prez Wrote:Being liked is overrated and doesn't always result in having a good football coach.

:Thumbs:
VikingFan Wrote:How about this.........Burchett and Copley.......Burchett coached Copley and they are good friends to this day....If I was the AD I would get both. They would be happy coaching together.

I don't think that either one would be happy not being the man in charge. I dint think they would want to share the HC job and neither of them would ant to be an assistant under the other if they've both been HC's before.
I was told that Shawn Hager has applied for this opening
Patriots12 Wrote:I was told that Shawn Hager has applied for this opening

I have heard that, also, but I do not know that for a fact. We all know how rumors can get started. Is it a rumor?
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:Just rumors I have heard the same thing about sheldon clark for years too and I do not think it is possible to take away aports teams. That wasn't really the point of my post I am just wanting to know the Lawrence County fans point of view on the whole subject. I am the kind of person that wants every child to suceed in every way possible. I just want to know if it is really that bad in Lawrence county for people from Bulldog country to say that, as the only people that have told me this rumor are current students in the system that tell me most of their teachers are there for little more than a Paycheck. I AM IN NO WAY TRYING TO TALK DOWN TO LC FANS OR OFFEND ANYONE. I just want to know if all of this is true, If it is really that bad.
I am sure the students point of view is pretty accurate... in his mind. But, the reality is, LC is just like every other school in the area... As a student, that has went to LC their whole life, it's hard to have any clue as to how other schools are or how other teachers are. I know people that have left LC schools to go to "greener" pastures, both students and teachers, only to learn that it is much of the same in this area... some just do a much better of selling themselves and their school to the public. :popcorn:
Good luck to all.
  •  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next