Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Somerset
43.75%
Mayfield
56.25%
* You voted for this item.

•  Previous
  • 7(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Class 2A State Championship: Somerset vs Mayfield
killbilly usmc Wrote:I don't think Mayfield will be down as much as some may think next year. They will be young at the skill positions and may take a few losses, but id be surprised if they wasn't in the hunt by playoff time. Not saying they win at all, but think they will be a tough out. 2021 they will probably be pretty strong as they will return most of next year's team. I don't know about a talent drop coming up. Guys on the radio one night was talking how good the teams are from 3rd to 8th grade. Maybe they was wrong, but they talked like there was some good groups coming up. One thing I've always noticed is how Mayfield has some pretty good teams in middle school, but they never are usually world beaters that are going to win a title In 8th grade. Guessing just not quite enough talent in one grade compared to some schools. They get to high school and the coaching staff turns them into a machine when they piece all the classes together. Mayfield has zero middle school titles, but usually end up better than a lot of programs once they get to High School.

Mayfield is never down. :Thumbs:
I’ve not seen a lot of Mayfield film but what I have seen makes be feel that this will be a good one. Seems both teams run a similar offensive scheme and have many play makers to do it with. Will have to see which team has enough in the trenches to get the job done. Best wishes to both and congrats on great seasons!
We will be better defensively next year. We will have to become a run first team on offense. I don’t think they are confident in who they want at qb next year. We still have talented receivers. They will fix a line, they always do.
mysonis55 Wrote:We will be better defensively next year. We will have to become a run first team on offense. I don’t think they are confident in who they want at qb next year. We still have talented receivers. They will fix a line, they always do.

This is all for another thread.. but the 8th grade won this year in their tournament they were in .. 2 different ones from the way i understood it.. plenty of talent coming up in 8th for sure sn several of the classes under that.. just not going to be a offensive power for the next 2 years.. as far as Qb.. after watching the 8th grade team all year i would put him in at qb.. kid is a athlete.. he can run, has a arm, can just make plays an plays mlb on defense to give a idea of grit and is s head hunter at that position... imo he throws better than our current back up too.. next year we might make it to final 4 but thats our ceiling... dont get me wrong talent will be there in places, it just wont be gelled like it has been for several years..
cardsfan9051 Wrote:What are you smoking????? I guarantee you that somerset will not score 48 on mayfield. Somebody call this boy some help. He done got a hold of some bad weed or something

Madisonville was held to 28 or less 5 times this year and they put up a 50 piece on Mayfield. Now do I think Somerset will put up 48? No. I don't think they will even put up 40 but its definitely possible. Mayfield gave up 55 in the championship game in 09. I'm thinking something like 38-28 Mayfield.
ontopofthewest Wrote:This is all for another thread.. but the 8th grade won this year in their tournament they were in .. 2 different ones from the way i understood it.. plenty of talent coming up in 8th for sure sn several of the classes under that.. just not going to be a offensive power for the next 2 years.. as far as Qb.. after watching the 8th grade team all year i would put him in at qb.. kid is a athlete.. he can run, has a arm, can just make plays an plays mlb on defense to give a idea of grit and is s head hunter at that position... imo he throws better than our current back up too.. next year we might make it to final 4 but thats our ceiling... dont get me wrong talent will be there in places, it just wont be gelled like it has been for several years..

I agree with that. The 8th grade QB is awesome. I know it's a stretch to start a freshman but he's going to be the guy at some point in his career. Why not throw him in the fire from the start and let him build for 4 years straight.
What is the eighth graders name so i can keep up with his progress????
barnabus_c2001 Wrote:What is the eighth graders name so i can keep up with his progress????

First name is Ashton. Not sure about last name. For some reason I want to say Tynes. Heck of a basketball player too.
Somerset by 12

Mayfield will still be worried they lost to McCracken County.
Sims?
ontopofthewest Wrote:I wish we could keep laussane forever.. just need to get them mid year, a team like that from Memphis. Playing talent like that does nothing but get u better... just to bad next year we are going to suffer a downwards swing in our talent

People were saying we wouldn't win a title after Jonathan Jackson graduated but we did. Every Mayfield elementary team made the championship game this year with the 3rd grade winning it all. The 4th grade came with in 50 seconds of winning. 8th grade is very strong. We don't rebuild, we just reload.
Somewhere there's a 1st grader who will be an all pro. This kind of speculation is worthless.
Mayfieldsportsfan Wrote:People were saying we wouldn't win a title after Jonathan Jackson graduated but we did. Every Mayfield elementary team made the championship game this year with the 3rd grade winning it all. The 4th grade came with in 50 seconds of winning. 8th grade is very strong. We don't rebuild, we just reload.

We will reload... iv already stated the upcoming talent,sure u seen that when u kept reading, just a two year gap before we are "Elite" again.. Stinson has a younger brother on the third grade team and they are loaded but that is some time away. Shifting back to this game.. i just seen on another site where someone posted sizes of these rabbits...
6'3" 270 johnson
6'3" 300 simmons
6'2" 290 harper
6'2" 250 cimala
6'2" 240 simmons
6' 225 speaks

.... thats pretty good size boys.. am i worried ..? Maybe just a lil .. mayfield is no where near this size...
Madisonville NH
G/DT Yates 6'00" 280
OL Kelley 6'3" 276
OL Hill 6'3" 257
OL/DL Vaughn 6'4" 265
DE/T Gobin 6'3" 230
Murray
TE/DE Lawrence 6'1" 265
G/DE Wortham 6'00" 205
T Jacobs 6'3" 265
T/DT Humphrey 5'11" 235
C Napier 6'2" 315
PT

DT Harmon 6'3" 255
T McDonald 6'6" 290
C/DT Flemons 6'2" 280
Lebuhn 6'1" 245
Lausanne

DT/NG Kidd 6'2" 315
C/G Webb 6'2" 265
DE/T Bell 6'3" 265

can't find height and weight on a bunch of them
blue55 Wrote:Somewhere there's a 1st grader who will be an all pro. This kind of speculation is worthless.

Kinda like some of the things you say.
Thanks 55.... you made me feel better..!!! 😁😁😁
The little LCA line did fine against the bunnies, we will be fine
MayfieldCardinal Wrote:The little LCA line did fine against the bunnies, we will be fine

Welcome back. I thought you retired from talking about the Cards state game.
ontopofthewest Wrote:Thanks 55.... you made me feel better..!!! 😁😁😁

May not mean a thing. But, i think it shows we have experience at that.
A couple of things from watching Breathitt and Somerset. Somerset takes plays off, they better hope they don't do that this week. They will get torched on a big play if they do. Breathitt wore down the Somerset D-line on their long scoring drive, those dudes were sucking wind. Sure Somerset had something to do with it, but many Bobcat players just used poor tackling technique throughout the game. Don't expect that this week. Mayfield linebackers will pop you a good one.
WHO'S NEXT? Wrote:A couple of things from watching Breathitt and Somerset. Somerset takes plays off, they better hope they don't do that this week. They will get torched on a big play if they do. Breathitt wore down the Somerset D-line on their long scoring drive, those dudes were sucking wind. Sure Somerset had something to do with it, but many Bobcat players just used poor tackling technique throughout the game. Don't expect that this week. Mayfield linebackers will pop you a good one.

Dude, what are you smoking?! The D-line was just getting started. And Breathitt couldn’t handle our running backs, that’s why they couldn’t tackle. Somerset will bring their A game, best believe that!
Bunnies big line was really special when Miller was running behind it. Mayfield by 7 in a dog fight. This is not Mayfield's first rodeo
WHO'S NEXT? Wrote:A couple of things from watching Breathitt and Somerset. Somerset takes plays off, they better hope they don't do that this week. They will get torched on a big play if they do. Breathitt wore down the Somerset D-line on their long scoring drive, those dudes were sucking wind. Sure Somerset had something to do with it, but many Bobcat players just used poor tackling technique throughout the game. Don't expect that this week.
Mayfield linebackers will pop you a good one.

Mayfield isn’t the best defense the jumpers have faced. Not even close. Also show me a high school game where kids don’t “take plays off”. Mayfield does it as well. Beechwood receivers running clean and wide open several times with 2-3 drops.
Remember the sideline to sideline approach that wore out an athletic d line to start the year?
Ya they were big an athletic with hardly a lick of fat on them... looked back on another site.. they avged 6'4" 285lbs... we looked like 8th graders against them..
..... i remember thanking oh $@!#
Real Badman Wrote:Somerset by 12

Mayfield will still be worried they lost to McCracken County.

About as much as PT was still worried about the 6 teams they lost to when they played the Jumpers for a title in 2009.
I must say.... being the last game of the year, i really expected more out of the Somerset faithful...
  •  Previous
  • 7(current)
  • Next