•  Previous
  • 6(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Letcher Co. Central 2010
^ no answer. I may what to apply.
They don't have to post it, if they are going to hire Whitaker.
Benchwarmer Wrote:^ no answer. I may what to apply.

Learn how to spell want first.
I am going to be honest here. I was kinda not in Coach Whitaker's corner, and still I am having doubts, but I will give him a chance. I learned from what I said after the regional championship game. I do disagree with some of the play calling, and I do think a lot of it was individuals who wasn't thinking about the team which has nothing to do with the coach. The only thing I wish was that individual get his butt on the sidelines for a half after the first unsportsmanlike penalty, then see how much his attitude changes. Nothing we can do about it now. I am willing to give this guy a chance. Don't forget he will not run this football program across the board. Terry Howard is still the man in charge of everything up to the 8th grade. Coach Whitaker better remember that. Good Luck Cougars! Am already getting excited for spring practice. By the way, how did the banquet go Sunday?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
Wow,
Cougarpride08 you give me way to much credit. I think that if Coach Whitaker told me to do something different I would have to do it. He's now the man in charge just like Hillard was in the past and it's his feeder program. Up until now I have been able to do things my own way but if Coach Whitaker chose to get involved I would have to do what he says. I know that if I were the high school head coach and I wanted something done in my feeder program I would expect it to get done. We have been very successful in the past several years and Hillard has allowed me to run my own offense and defense and it's no shocker to anyone that I like to run the ball to pound defenses but if Coach Whitaker tells me to start airing it out I will start airing it out.
You know what I am saying. Seems like there is no reason for you to change the way you have been doing things. All you have done is been to three straight big sandy championships. You know what you are doing. If it isn't broke don't fix it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Well successful programs such as Boyle and Lex Cath run the same offense and defense basically from birth. By doing this you get to install a little more of your offense each year. I'm just saying these programs are proven winners and by doing the same thing every year you get used to it and more comfortable as you go. Just throwing this out there.
We do have a lot of Coach Whitakers game plan in our system but some of it is a little to advanced for some of my kids. We try to use the same terms and vocabulary and work on the same pass routes so the kids will be prepared when they move up. A big part of Whitakers offense is ran out of the I-set but he tends to go out of the gun a lot more than I do. I agree with Launchpad completely, if you start teaching the system when they are young they will be ready when they do move up to the high school program. We have switched back and forth over the past 5 years because of new defensive and offensive coordinators and each one of them had different schemes and ideas so I have tried to use as much of what I can from each one of them. I think now that we have a new coaching staff that will be here for a while I will be able to implement more of their system in the future by getting my assistants trained by the high school staff and I think the transition to high school will be much easier. Cougarpride08, your comment about 3 straight Big Sandy Championships is correct but that's just a small part of the big picture. Our program is in place to make the High School program better. If I need to do something different to make my kids more prepared for that transition to high school I will do it. I do feel like we have been sending kids up to the next level with a winning attitude and fundamentally sound skill level. It may shock some people but I do think we need to work together from the lower elementary teams through the high school to make sure we are all on the same page for our Letcher County Central program. From what I can tell Coach Whitaker is a great coach with a huge wealth of knowledge when it comes to football. He is one of the most organized and detailed person I have ever met. The kids seem to be liking him and his winter weight program and I know the attendance in the weight room is higher now than it has ever been. He has worked with me closely over the past few months to make sure that I have whatever I need to field a good team next year and he has told me that he is always ready to step in and help me if I need anything. This is all that I could ever ask for as a Junior High Football Coach and I am lucky to be a part of this program.
Coach Howard Wrote:We do have a lot of Coach Whitakers game plan in our system but some of it is a little to advanced for some of my kids. We try to use the same terms and vocabulary and work on the same pass routes so the kids will be prepared when they move up. A big part of Whitakers offense is ran out of the I-set but he tends to go out of the gun a lot more than I do. I agree with Launchpad completely, if you start teaching the system when they are young they will be ready when they do move up to the high school program. We have switched back and forth over the past 5 years because of new defensive and offensive coordinators and each one of them had different schemes and ideas so I have tried to use as much of what I can from each one of them. I think now that we have a new coaching staff that will be here for a while I will be able to implement more of their system in the future by getting my assistants trained by the high school staff and I think the transition to high school will be much easier. Cougarpride08, your comment about 3 straight Big Sandy Championships is correct but that's just a small part of the big picture. Our program is in place to make the High School program better. If I need to do something different to make my kids more prepared for that transition to high school I will do it. I do feel like we have been sending kids up to the next level with a winning attitude and fundamentally sound skill level. It may shock some people but I do think we need to work together from the lower elementary teams through the high school to make sure we are all on the same page for our Letcher County Central program. From what I can tell Coach Whitaker is a great coach with a huge wealth of knowledge when it comes to football. He is one of the most organized and detailed person I have ever met. The kids seem to be liking him and his winter weight program and I know the attendance in the weight room is higher now than it has ever been. He has worked with me closely over the past few months to make sure that I have whatever I need to field a good team next year and he has told me that he is always ready to step in and help me if I need anything. This is all that I could ever ask for as a Junior High Football Coach and I am lucky to be a part of this program.

GREAT POST COACH HOWARD--- this is total team concept, which will pay off in the long term if everyone is on the same page. Coach Whitaker is a straight shooter and will give you all the support you need.
Coach Howard I wasn't trying to call you out or say you did things the wrong way. I was trying to show cougarpride that you can't have all the levels of a successful program running different styles of offense and defense. There is alot to be said about how winning middle school programs lead to winning high school programs and I think you do a great job with your team and it helps the high school tremendously. But I was trying to prove a point to cp08 that you can't develop a consistently successful program without everyone on the same boat. This is evident in once good programs such as Madison Central where they have to role in the feeder systems and you have all the youth and middle school leagues running different types of systems.
I just can't wait to see our freshman next year. I know it is early, but I think we will have one of the best freshman classes coming in. I do agree with you Coach Howard, and Launchpad, but I am just biased to the old running style. I know that you are always taken care of here in Letcher Co. I would like to see more of your games on the school channel. They have really lacked in consistent changes in programing. You see the same program for a month, and I wish they would get more programming in. Back to Letcher Central, any work on our receiving cor?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Get real guys this is just a game. It is not life or death.
launchpad4 Wrote:Well successful programs such as Boyle and Lex Cath run the same offense and defense basically from birth. By doing this you get to install a little more of your offense each year. I'm just saying these programs are proven winners and by doing the same thing every year you get used to it and more comfortable as you go. Just throwing this out there.

One little problem. What if a head coach is hired and he decides to make everybody below him run his offense and then he leaves five years later? The new head coach has entirely different offense and then expects you to run that one. The kids that have learned so much about the first head coaches offense is now left out in the cold. So what good has it done for them. I personally don't think everybody should have to do the same exact things. There are some basic plays and terminology that should be taught, but not every single thing the high school coach is teaching.
tcb Wrote:Get real guys this is just a game. It is not life or death.

Really? It may not be life or death, but it seems to be more than just a game. Start losing and see how long you hang around. Start treating someone the wrong way and see how long you last.
HAT51 Wrote:Really? It may not be life or death, but it seems to be more than just a game. Start losing and see how long you hang around. Start treating someone the wrong way and see how long you last.

:Thumbs:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Hey, all I am saying is that if I can do anything as the Junior High Coach to make our LCC high school team better I will try to do it. I will always put some of my own stuff in on both sides of the ball but I do think the terminology and basics of the high school offense/defense needs to be taught to the younger kids. Just because you teach it doesn't mean that you have to always run it. I would like to think that after 18 years of coaching some of my own stuff is pretty good and worthy of being taught to my kids. I think that if you teach kids how to win, develop skills and bring them along fundamentally, teach sportsmanship, good citizenship skills, play a tough schedule year in and year out, get them in the weight-room and have them in great physical shape they will be ready for high school football regardless of what offense or defense you have taught them.
Coach Howard Wrote:Hey, all I am saying is that if I can do anything as the Junior High Coach to make our LCC high school team better I will try to do it. I will always put some of my own stuff in on both sides of the ball but I do think the terminology and basics of the high school offense/defense needs to be taught to the younger kids. Just because you teach it doesn't mean that you have to always run it. I would like to think that after 18 years of coaching some of my own stuff is pretty good and worthy of being taught to my kids. I think that if you teach kids how to win, develop skills and bring them along fundamentally, teach sportsmanship, good citizenship skills, play a tough schedule year in and year out, get them in the weight-room and have them in great physical shape they will be ready for high school football regardless of what offense or defense you have taught them.

And you have done this better than anyone.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Coach Howard Wrote:Hey, all I am saying is that if I can do anything as the Junior High Coach to make our LCC high school team better I will try to do it. I will always put some of my own stuff in on both sides of the ball but I do think the terminology and basics of the high school offense/defense needs to be taught to the younger kids. Just because you teach it doesn't mean that you have to always run it. I would like to think that after 18 years of coaching some of my own stuff is pretty good and worthy of being taught to my kids. I think that if you teach kids how to win, develop skills and bring them along fundamentally, teach sportsmanship, good citizenship skills, play a tough schedule year in and year out, get them in the weight-room and have them in great physical shape they will be ready for high school football regardless of what offense or defense you have taught them.
I concur!
Everything is great in LCC land. I wonder if all will be well at the end of the year? I don't think most will be happy with the new situation. Time will tell.
It all boils down to winning!
Winning cures alot of ills.
Yep, I've always said that winning cures everything and keeps the nay'sayers quiet for a little while. I hope all goes well for the new staff and it's a happy marriage for years to come.
We hope
should be pretty good with the transfer of joey moore from knott co hes finally getting his shot to do something in football and get his name for hisself rather if he was playing for knott
14thregionrules Wrote:should be pretty good with the transfer of joey moore from knott co hes finally getting his shot to do something in football and get his name for hisself rather if he was playing for knott

So this was a sports transfer?
Whitaker will not last 2 years. Self destruction everywhere he has been.
[quote=Paul Crewe]Whitaker will not last 2 years. Self destruction everywhere he has been.[/QU

Get over it Whitaker has built every program he has been at.
1.)Leslie County made them a power 0 losing seasons
2.)Corbin had 1 losing season that being his first year
3.)Took over a Christian County program that was rock bottom had won only
3 games in the prior 2 years.Had a losing season his first year and then
returned them into one of the top programs in the state

4.) Powell County in just 2 years gave them their first
winning season in history
146 win-65 loses (3 total losing seasons)
He has won at every school he has coached,Letcher will get their 1st regional championship under Coach Whitaker. One thing for sure they will not be no coaching from the barber shop or stands,and he will never be out of a coaching job. Letcher got lucky getting this coach, by the way who would you hire if you had to replace Coach Howard? seems they are a lot of good coaches out there just ask some of these schools trying to find one.
Wait and see. Not very good under pressure....plays weak schedules....and loses early in playoffs. Time will tell. Many at LCC are already tired. He hasn't even coached the first game. Time will tell. See ya at the end of the season Cherokee, let me know then how most feel.
Paul Crewe Wrote:Wait and see. Not very good under pressure....plays weak schedules....and loses early in playoffs. Time will tell. Many at LCC are already tired. He hasn't even coached the first game. Time will tell. See ya at the end of the season Cherokee, let me know then how most feel.

We make it to the third round for the past three years. Do you really call that early? I bet there is a lot of teams wishes they make it that early in the playoffs. Don't get me started on the schedule.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Paul Crewe Wrote:Wait and see. Not very good under pressure....plays weak schedules....and loses early in playoffs. Time will tell. Many at LCC are already tired. He hasn't even coached the first game. Time will tell. See ya at the end of the season Cherokee, let me know then how most feel.

You didn't answer my question on who you would have hired. Whitakers is a proven winner that sends a lot of kids to the next level. Yeah, I bet somewhere down the line he has spanked you either as a coach or a player. You seem to be posting on every thread that pertains to a football coaching job opening; acting like you are a South Laurel fan until that job was filled, then concerned about Estill County's job, etc. ****, send Whitaker a resume he may give you a shot since you are so knowledgable. I guess now you are a Cougar fan and have a lot of concerns up there.
  •  Previous
  • 6(current)
  • Next