Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Somerset
43.75%
Mayfield
56.25%
* You voted for this item.

•  Previous
  • 6(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Class 2A State Championship: Somerset vs Mayfield
mysonis55 Wrote:Rookie 57, no need to try to argue with PJ. He enlists the help of his momma for the replies.
write that down on your pocket protector so you don't forget it. rookie has me blocked.
I think the coaches are fully aware that Somerset poses problems and are working very hard to prepare for those very challenges. Don’t matter what any of us say. They will prepare like they always do.
pjdoug Wrote:Yeah but turnovers are forced sometimes. Johnson Central is on another level ,but Madisonville is not quite as strong as advertised. There's no doubt how good Mayfield is but some of you try to pump their opponents up to be better than they really are Smile. I think Somerset can cause them problems, but there's no doubt Mayfield could blow the game open in a hurry.

No inflation here... lol.. they avg 6'3 278lbs.... thats pretty big for a high school team.. the rest i agree with..
Anyone have any sizes available for Somerset?
ontopofthewest Wrote:Anyone have any sizes available for Somerset?

Majority of the o-line is over 6’1 and 230 plus.
pjdoug Wrote:Lol. Mayfield is the favorite but Somerset is pretty good. Are you going to the game?

No will be listening to it as always. I have a bad stat though that I hope changes. Mayfield is 4-0 in state games I attended. 1-4 when I sat at home, and listened like I'm doing this year I hope that stat improves.
I am going with the Cardinals 21-14.
killbilly usmc Wrote:No will be listening to it as always. I have a bad stat though that I hope changes. Mayfield is 4-0 in state games I attended. 1-4 when I sat at home, and listened like I'm doing this year I hope that stat improves.

I can counter that though. Mayfield is 2-2 at state when I’m on the sideline. They are 5-1 when I go but don’t stand on the sideline. This year, I won’t be on the sideline.
killbilly usmc Wrote:No will be listening to it as always. I have a bad stat though that I hope changes. Mayfield is 4-0 in state games I attended. 1-4 when I sat at home, and listened like I'm doing this year I hope that stat improves.

Oh hell..... no good killbilly... dont need any bad mojo... need to bring home 13
mysonis55 Wrote:These 2 only met one other time with MHS coming out on top 22-8, winning the state title for 2a.

Here's some game film from that 1978 Title Game. :Thumbs:
Both teams better strap it up tight. This should be a great High School Football Game. Teams are so even it's scary. Looking back one could easily add LCA to the talk if they had made it. Mayfield's Off. looks a little better to me, however Somerset has a real good passing game which looks to be Mayfield's weakness . Somerset's Def. looks a little better to me. Like I said before, should be a great game.
Little off topic on subject;
Was going to try an tailgate bringing a small grill an couple coolers of drinks.. 1st question.. does uk allow that? Second question.. which parking lot will we be in blu im assuming since we are home in the game?
I was wrong on my ratios above. I forgot about 2017 & 2018. So, that means we are 5-3 when I'm not on the sideline. So, maybe that doesn't offset KillBilly much.
Our linebackers are going to have to fill the gaps because they have some running backs that are big bulldozers.Saw them just bowl over Breathett county tacklers in their game the other night.
Somerset Defense May give up some big plays up early but they will adjust. Mayfield can not stop Somerset Running game. Jumpers are very physical and will dominate the Line of scrimmage!!!
Somerset-48
Mayfield-35
I don't see anyone on the jumpers D that can contain Neely and company... Somerset might have a better running game, but I think the D will get off the field on some 3rd and shorts that will determine the game.
ontopofthewest Wrote:Little off topic on subject;
Was going to try an tailgate bringing a small grill an couple coolers of drinks.. 1st question.. does uk allow that? Second question.. which parking lot will we be in blu im assuming since we are home in the game?

You can tailgate with same rules that apply when tailgate at a IK game. We did it last year. The Blue lot is on the South side and that happens to be the home side and the side Mayfield will be on.
Hatz Wrote:

Here's some game film from that 1978 Title Game. :Thumbs:

This is the first game I have a memory of. I was a little fellow but can still recall a couple moments in my mind. The entire game footage is not intact anymore that I have ever found. I have this one myself. I recall the Somerset Back, a beast, #24 Venable, he went on to UK
I posted stats before they were updated. Here is the changes:

Rushing for 2a
Galbreath is #10 with 1,575 yds and 18 touchdowns

Passing for 2a
Stinson #3 with 3,506 yds and 48 touchdowns

Receiving for 2a
Neely #7 with 1221 yds and 20 touchdowns
Perry #18 with 738 yds and 10 touchdowns
Daniel #23 with 658 yds and 10 touchdowns

PAT for 2a
Haley #1 with 78 for 85

FG for 2a
Haley #3 with 5 for 7

Team scoring for 2a
Mayfield #3 with avg of 45.9 per game

Team defense for 2a
Mayfield #6 with avg of 17.4 per game

Scoring margin for 2a
Mayfield #2 with margin of 28.5 per game.
Statebound19 Wrote:Somerset Defense May give up some big plays up early but they will adjust. Mayfield can not stop Somerset Running game. Jumpers are very physical and will dominate the Line of scrimmage!!!
Somerset-48
Mayfield-35

What are you smoking????? I guarantee you that somerset will not score 48 on mayfield. Somebody call this boy some help. He done got a hold of some bad weed or something
what are the QB thrown interception stats
Tica Wrote:what are the QB thrown interception stats

Stinson 174-272 64% 3506 yrds 48 TD 10INT
Sheron 167-243 68.7% 3043 yrds 27 TD 5 iNT
In keeping along with the theme as to how close these 2 teams appear on paper, here is more. They both have one common opponent in Beechwood. The stats are almost the same for these teams when they faced Beechwood.

Somerset gained 194 yards and 2 touchdowns passing against Beechwood. They also gained 292 yards rushing and 4 touchdowns.

The defense gave up 100 yards passing and 102 yards and 1 touchdown.

Mayfield gained 188 yards passing and 2 touchdowns. They also gained 308 yards and 3 touchdowns rushing.

The defense gave up 56 yards rushing and 95 yards passing with 1 touchdown.

So that’s 486 total yards of offense and 6 touchdowns for Somerset.
That’s 496 total yards of offense and 5 touchdowns for Mayfield.

Somerset’s defense gave up 202 yards and 1 touchdown.
Mayfield’s defense gave up 151 yards and 1 touchdown.
Ya....and we did it slippin an sliding in the cold rain.... against a argumentatively " aged " Beechwood team..
ontopofthewest Wrote:Ya....and we did it slippin an sliding in the cold rain.... against a argumentatively " aged " Beechwood team..

I agree, I think we(Corbin) played Beechwood when they decided to wake up lol.
I saw on 13th region preps post that apparently Mayfield is considered a 2 point dog over there.
mysonis55 Wrote:I saw on 13th region preps post that apparently Mayfield is considered a 2 point dog over there.

I just asked my boy and looked it up, sure enough that's what they have put. I didn't know that. I see Mayfield as the Favorite in my opinion. Should be a fun one for sure. I have nothing but respect for the Mayfield program.
I wish we could still have Corbin on our schedule. I looked forward to that each year.
I wish we could keep laussane forever.. just need to get them mid year, a team like that from Memphis. Playing talent like that does nothing but get u better... just to bad next year we are going to suffer a downwards swing in our talent
ontopofthewest Wrote:I wish we could keep laussane forever.. just need to get them mid year, a team like that from Memphis. Playing talent like that does nothing but get u better... just to bad next year we are going to suffer a downwards swing in our talent

I don't think Mayfield will be down as much as some may think next year. They will be young at the skill positions and may take a few losses, but id be surprised if they wasn't in the hunt by playoff time. Not saying they win at all, but think they will be a tough out. 2021 they will probably be pretty strong as they will return most of next year's team. I don't know about a talent drop coming up. Guys on the radio one night was talking how good the teams are from 3rd to 8th grade. Maybe they was wrong, but they talked like there was some good groups coming up. One thing I've always noticed is how Mayfield has some pretty good teams in middle school, but they never are usually world beaters that are going to win a title In 8th grade. Guessing just not quite enough talent in one grade compared to some schools. They get to high school and the coaching staff turns them into a machine when they piece all the classes together. Mayfield has zero middle school titles, but usually end up better than a lot of programs once they get to High School.
  •  Previous
  • 6(current)
  • Next