•  Previous
  • 6(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mayfield 28 Williamsburg 27 OT - 1A State Championship
Good luck dealing w Louisville Metro and NKY next year MF...
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:Good luck dealing w Louisville Metro and NKY next year MF...
Do I smell sarcasm in the air?
NKYfootballfan91 Wrote:It took OT to beat a team that barely beat newport? This is a team ncc beat twice. Desales would have beat u guys 28-0. Depending on when u play them next year, enjoy ur trophy now while u can. U guys gonna be complaining like some of these other chumps out there about their numbers.

You forgot to add that ncc didnt beat newport by very much, but that wouldnt be convenient for your argument. You also missed that desales barely got by murray then steamrolled yall, this is the same murray mayfield beat.
CS17, you can also go to youtube, type in williamsburg vs mayfield and you will find that catch on there, mysonis55, 1995 was the best game lol I was there, remember the catch can be seen at
NCC got steamrolled by Beechwood.. Mayfield will have a heck of a challenge with Murray, OB Catholic and the 2 Louisville schools, just getting to the state title game, but, NCC isn't one of the teams we'll have any concern with. If we make it that far and get to the title going thru that gauntlet, then we should be well tested and more than capable of beating NCC. A team that racked up a whopping 50 yards on 50 plays and gets thoroughly man handled shouldn't come on here talking smack about the Cardinals. Matter of fact, NKy, in general, shouldn't be talking any smack, period. Unfortunately for Beechwood, they've had to be on the same side of the bracket as Mayfield, while NCC bows up there chest and acts like they're peaking at the right time, when, in fact, they've had the benefit of being in an awful region and side of the state as a whole. There were at minimum, 6 better teams from the west in 2a than NCC. They've had better teams and some that would rank them in the top 2-3, but, this year wasn't one of them.
When Shelton made that one-handed catch in the endzone, several Mayfield fans stood up and gave him a standing ovation. While that play very well could have cost Mayfield the game, the Cardinal fans appreciated the catch and how clutch it was under the circumstances. Unlike a couple of other pass plays they made, the DB was all over him and in good position, but, Shelton still made the play. So, while a couple of idiot Card fans come on here and stir the pot or behave with no class, as a whole, the Mayfield fans appreciate good football and shows a lot of respect when that respect is earned.
I just watched the catch again on Youtube and it was a great catch. Also watch the referees reaction. He says wow!!
KYHSFBFan Wrote:When Shelton made that one-handed catch in the endzone, several Mayfield fans stood up and gave him a standing ovation. While that play very well could have cost Mayfield the game, the Cardinal fans appreciated the catch and how clutch it was under the circumstances. Unlike a couple of other pass plays they made, the DB was all over him and in good position, but, Shelton still made the play. So, while a couple of idiot Card fans come on here and stir the pot or behave with no class, as a whole, the Mayfield fans appreciate good football and shows a lot of respect when that respect is earned.

I can confirm this, as well.
Mayfield, for the most part, is a class act.
KYHSFBFan Wrote:NCC got steamrolled by Beechwood.. Mayfield will have a heck of a challenge with Murray, OB Catholic and the 2 Louisville schools, just getting to the state title game, but, NCC isn't one of the teams we'll have any concern with. If we make it that far and get to the title going thru that gauntlet, then we should be well tested and more than capable of beating NCC. A team that racked up a whopping 50 yards on 50 plays and gets thoroughly man handled shouldn't come on here talking smack about the Cardinals. Matter of fact, NKy, in general, shouldn't be talking any smack, period. Unfortunately for Beechwood, they've had to be on the same side of the bracket as Mayfield, while NCC bows up there chest and acts like they're peaking at the right time, when, in fact, they've had the benefit of being in an awful region and side of the state as a whole. There were at minimum, 6 better teams from the west in 2a than NCC. They've had better teams and some that would rank them in the top 2-3, but, this year wasn't one of them.

I will add that Wiliamsburg had 18 penalties, 3 turnovers and played without 2 offensive line starters angainst Newport...Mayfield would destroy NCC...
kyhsfbfan Wrote:when shelton made that one-handed catch in the endzone, several mayfield fans stood up and gave him a standing ovation. While that play very well could have cost mayfield the game, the cardinal fans appreciated the catch and how clutch it was under the circumstances. Unlike a couple of other pass plays they made, the db was all over him and in good position, but, shelton still made the play. So, while a couple of idiot card fans come on here and stir the pot or behave with no class, as a whole, the mayfield fans appreciate good football and shows a lot of respect when that respect is earned.

i witnessed this first hand from the williamsburg side.....its ashame a few fans make others look bad or give a bad impression. Mayfield understands good football and acknowledged it as such. Even some of the players noticed it from the sideline.
^^
Yep, they sure did!
Mayfield understands and appreciates good football. For the most part they are a class act. Just lie everywhere else most fans are good solid people. It only takes a few to taint the opinion though. Good luck to Mayfield in 2A.
KYHSFBFan Wrote:When Shelton made that one-handed catch in the endzone, several Mayfield fans stood up and gave him a standing ovation. While that play very well could have cost Mayfield the game, the Cardinal fans appreciated the catch and how clutch it was under the circumstances. Unlike a couple of other pass plays they made, the DB was all over him and in good position, but, Shelton still made the play. So, while a couple of idiot Card fans come on here and stir the pot or behave with no class, as a whole, the Mayfield fans appreciate good football and shows a lot of respect when that respect is earned.

I also took notice of the Mayfield fans that stood and applauded...I will never forget that act of class and will always be a Mayfield fan...
NKYfootballfan91 Wrote:It took OT to beat a team that barely beat newport? This is a team ncc beat twice. Desales would have beat u guys 28-0. Depending on when u play them next year, enjoy ur trophy now while u can. U guys gonna be complaining like some of these other chumps out there about their numbers.

How bad did NCC beat Newport the first time?
Congratulations to Mayfield.
go mayfield in 2a continue the championships
That catch got me to applaud as well. It was something you just don't see at the HS level. Late in the game the Williamsburg QB was playing out of his mind as for his pass accuracy. Several balls were caught with good coverage due to him hitting his receivers in dead stride. He was just one of those guys that refused to lose and brought his A game when it mattered the most. Hats of to the QB and receivers. Talking to #55's son last night who is a starting LB for Mayfield and he said he and Shelton jawed some during the game but afterward they exchange contact info and talked yesterday. Said that several of the Cardinal and Jacket players are now friends on social media and talked. Seems they do a better job of getting along than many do on here
KYHSFBFan Wrote:NCC got steamrolled by Beechwood.. Mayfield will have a heck of a challenge with Murray, OB Catholic and the 2 Louisville schools, just getting to the state title game, but, NCC isn't one of the teams we'll have any concern with. If we make it that far and get to the title going thru that gauntlet, then we should be well tested and more than capable of beating NCC. A team that racked up a whopping 50 yards on 50 plays and gets thoroughly man handled shouldn't come on here talking smack about the Cardinals. Matter of fact, NKy, in general, shouldn't be talking any smack, period. Unfortunately for Beechwood, they've had to be on the same side of the bracket as Mayfield, while NCC bows up there chest and acts like they're peaking at the right time, when, in fact, they've had the benefit of being in an awful region and side of the state as a whole. There were at minimum, 6 better teams from the west in 2a than NCC. They've had better teams and some that would rank them in the top 2-3, but, this year wasn't one of them.

U ppl never cease to amaze me. No one is disputing how bad the east was this year. I have never said this was a good NCC team, not once. I said exactly what was going to happen in the playoffs and the 2A title game. Desales was better than NCC last year, but the game was close and if not for a phantom hold call on a KOR for a td, that game may have ended differently. Lets not forget, the east had one 4 straight titles in 2A. 3 by NCC and 1 by Holy Cross, oh btw, both schools from NKY.

It will be a challenge to make it to the semis in 2A. Fact remains, u struggled with a team that barely beat a bad, but talented newport team. U mayfield ppl always want to talk about who played who 'except when it bites u in the arse. Truth remains, Beechwood was the better team, they handed u guys the game and Beechwood will be winning it next season. Even if u guys were still there in 1A, Beechwood wins it easily.
Congratulations to Mayfield.
Jet Piolet if it had been Pikeville in place of the Burg I would have been one of the best Fans there. We in the Mts are better than any true A team in the west.
They had A well coached group of talented players, WE DID ALSO
Mayfield 9 you are messing with 64 you will never reach his popularity, he has forgotton more football than you will ever know. I would not want his friends on BGS afterme.

It's amazing to me how quickly people forget that Mayfield has been there done that in 2A. If I'm not mistaken, they have 5 2A state titles, and if it were not for some really good Danville and Corbin teams they would have 10 titles in 2A. I think 4 out of the 5 runner-up finishes they had in 2A were decided by less than 6 points, and a couple by one point. Everyone can act like they don't care that Mayfield is going to 2A, but in reality you're all shaking with fear.
Shaking with fear? Not hardly. Yeah Mayfield has been there, and done that in 2A before. But it's been awhile. 2A has changed a lot since they were last here. i think we'll be able to hang with them.
I don't know why we have to even be concerned with all of this. We should be able to enjoy the state title, instead we have to hear how we don't have a chance next year. All I can say about that is, we will see. We have a ton returning.
I will admit that I was standing for that second great catch of the game, but I was wanting it to not be a catch. I was worried that it might be the game. I almost clapped but the dad in me wanted to cry. You talk about taking ones breath away. That was a dagger. Now, the relief feeling that came over me when the pat sailed through was much more emotional.
I do happen to know the best barbecue places if anybody is a barbecue lover like me,so you shouldn't doubt me Smile.if you get the chance go to Uno,KY and try Mama Lou's BBQ.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure you do, but the problem is, my husband and I are too old to process spicy stuff. Sooo, we have to look for BBQ that's not hot. I used to LOVE strong BBQ, but can't do it anymore!!
Confusednicker:
This was the biggest emotional game I have ever watched live at this level of highschool football....Thanks to 1A Williamsburg and 1A Mayfield. :truestory:
1a football was exceptional this year. Mayfield, Williamsburg, Beechwood, Pikeville. They could all beat you at anytime, anywhere. Frankfort, Russellville, Raceland, Hazard, Paintsville, Holy Cross and Paris were all solid teams. It just seemed a lot deeper with quality teams than in past years. I was sitting in the rain Friday night watching Pulaski and Graves and thinking to myself that Mayfield could beat either one of those teams. They already did beat one for real, and the other was pretty even with them. Just didn't think either had the speed to keep up. After watching W'Burg, I think they could have beaten either one of them too.
64SUR Wrote:This was the biggest emotional game I have ever watched live at this level of highschool football....Thanks to 1A Williamsburg and 1A Mayfield. :truestory:

64 I thought you were going to have a break down in the closing minutes. You are a true blue fan. I hope your boy is fine. You were as invested as anybody in this team. You are orange through and through.
E's Army Wrote:64 I thought you were going to have a break down in the closing minutes. You are a true blue fan. I hope your boy is fine. You were as invested as anybody in this team. You are orange through and through.
64 is the man...
  •  Previous
  • 6(current)
  • Next