Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pikeville 2014
Anyone know who and when Pikeville is scrimmaging?
PHSForever Wrote:Teams in the tourney were Henry Clay (2 teams), Lexington Christian, Paris, Lincoln County, and Pikeville. Opened against LCA and lost a tough close one, then lost again to Henry Clay team 1. That seeded them 3rd in Pool 2. Opened the tourney against Henry Clay team 2, and won. Then lost to LCA again. My opinion, their tight end was the difference for them all day. Excellent receiver. Good hands, good height. Goes up and really gets the ball. Then in the 3rd place game, beat Lincoln County. Overall a good day, got lots of reps in against quality competition from class AA, 5A, and 6A. The game against Henry Clay team one was very very close. But a great day with a lot of positives overall. I like our team. On a side note, Henry Clay defensive backfield is extremely aggressive, I would almost bet my last dollar that at the end of the year they lead the state in interceptions. Quality athletes and speed across the board. I don't know the scores of the games. Pool 1 game scores were all posted, pool 2 scores were not and I did not know the point system for TD's, interceptions, etc.
It wasn't the tight end all day it was the running back from LCA.
Henry Clay team 2 was JV team....I think the first game against LCA the score was like 27-23 I may be wrong.second game against LCA was like 31-10. :HitWall:
64SUR Wrote:It wasn't the tight end all day it was the running back from LCA.
A 6'2 rb lined up in a slot position? Impressive. I couldn't keep up with all of them. They ran an empty backfield on just about every play, so I didn't know he was a rb. Thanks.
64SUR Wrote:Henry Clay team 2 was JV team....I think the first game against LCA the score was like 27-23 I may be wrong.second game against LCA was like 31-10. :HitWall:
I assumed team 2 was JV, I just listed how I know it. Still impressive and good competition. I do know that the qbs played on both teams, so they got looks against the Henry Clay 1 and 2 qbs.
PHSForever Wrote:I assumed team 2 was JV, I just listed how I know it. Still impressive and good competition. I do know that the qbs played on both teams, so they got looks against the Henry Clay 1 and 2 qbs.

I didn't go to the game my Cousin who help coach at LCA.......Said pikeville was the team to beat in 1A in the east. And I told him he was wrong Williamsburg was the team to beat in the east. One of us will be wrong or both of us could be wrong.......Family disagreement. Confusednicker:
64SUR Wrote:I didn't go to the game my Cousin who help coach at LCA.......Said pikeville was the team to beat in 1A in the east. And I told him he was wrong Williamsburg was the team to beat in the east. One of us will be wrong or both of us could be wrong.......Family disagreement. Confusednicker:
I think your cousin is a very smart person. Confusednicker:
Scrimage will be against Perry county at perry friday aug 15.
Its all going to boil down to defense and home field advantage. I think all of the easts contenders will score in bulk through the regular season and first 2 weeks of the season. Once Wburg, Pikeville, Hazard, and Raceland see each other, you will see scores plumit into the 20s and whoever can keep their offense on the field the longest and play keep away from the other team. Lots of points are going to be scored this year. Could be the most passing yards gained in a single season. All of the easts premier teams will be throwing. ALOT
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:Its all going to boil down to defense and home field advantage. I think all of the easts contenders will score in bulk through the regular season and first 2 weeks of the season. Once Wburg, Pikeville, Hazard, and Raceland see each other, you will see scores plumit into the 20s and whoever can keep their offense on the field the longest and play keep away from the other team. Lots of points are going to be scored this year. Could be the most passing yards gained in a single season. All of the easts premier teams will be throwing. ALOT

According to the KHSAA scoreboard site Pikeville rushed for 3446 yds last year. They will rush for a similar number this year.
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:Its all going to boil down to defense and home field advantage. I think all of the easts contenders will score in bulk through the regular season and first 2 weeks of the season. Once Wburg, Pikeville, Hazard, and Raceland see each other, you will see scores plumit into the 20s and whoever can keep their offense on the field the longest and play keep away from the other team. Lots of points are going to be scored this year. Could be the most passing yards gained in a single season. All of the easts premier teams will be throwing. ALOT

I'm not sure of hazards rushing numbers but they were a running team last year. This year I hope there a little more balanced.
PHSForever Wrote:Really, all of them are. I hate to seem vague, but they are all showing signs of improvement over last year. Obviously, when it gets to hittin' time, that's when people separate themselves from the pack, but Maynard is showing quite a bit of improvement, and it was hard for me to tell who was who yesterday in some situations, so I won't go too in depth on that. But the backs improved a LOT on catching out of the backfield from the UPike tourney I watched. I don't know if they were just having a bad day then or if it is improvement from the reps. I suspect it is a little of both. Estep was his typical self. Against Henry Clay team 2 he really abused their corner, dusted him a couple times, but he was solid against all the teams. He caught the game winner against Lincoln Co. on a corner fade in the end zone. Good for about 40 yards. Also caught the 2 pt conversion while heavily covered. Charles put the ball in the one spot only Estep could catch it on that play, so kudos to him as well. Ben Maynard had some really impressive catches, and on Defense, I have to give a shout out to Pikeville's CB (I couldn't see who it was). Made the most impressive interception if the day IMO. Went up in coverage, and one handed the ball while falling down. Beautiful play.

Great analysis. I knew Estep would be solid but I would like to know who will be the featured back.?
Mastadon89 Wrote:Scrimage will be against Perry county at perry friday aug 15.

Thanks for the info and I will be in attendance to watch and give my 2 cents.
PHSForever Wrote:I think your cousin is a very smart person. Confusednicker:

Well he will good a good look at Williamsburg this week at Morehead end of the week.....Just sayin. :popcorn:
bac2369 Wrote:Great analysis. I knew Estep would be solid but I would like to know who will be the featured back.?
I can't speak for the coaches, but I think it will be a little more varied this year. But if my arm was twisted to pick one, I'd say it will probably be Pugh who will see the bulk of the carries, but I've seen several running in practice, so really I could be way off. There is depth in the stable.

Not worried about Williamsburg defense will be the best defense in the east.just don't know if Williamsburg will be a passing team or rushing team....not kidding QB Dalton Sizemore will be hard to replace....backup QB only threw the ball 12 time last year for 55 yds Confusedhh:
I was thinking the Pugh kid would be because he's a hard kid to bring down.
bac2369 Wrote:I was thinking the Pugh kid would be because he's a hard kid to bring down.

And very fast. Check this out from regional track (100 meter dash):

Section 1
1 Nuttle, Zach 08 Owsley County 14.82
2 Rowe, Dalton 10 Elliott County 15.52
3 Watkins, Seth 08 Magoffin County 17.74
Section 2
1 Ackerman, Michael 09 Lee County 13.19
2 Davis, Drew 10 Magoffin County 13.85
Section 3
1 Mullins, Austin 09 Shelby Valley 12.40
2 Machniak, C j 12 Jenkins 12.66
3 Havens, Trevor 08 Morgan County 12.99
4 Samples, Joe 10 Lee County 13.17
5 Shepherd, David 10 Prestonsburg 13.26
6 Wells, Cameron 10 Prestonsburg 13.71
Section 4
1 West, Will 11 Betsy Layne 11.82 6
2 Dixon, Maverick 11 Raceland 12.02 1
3 Reynolds, Nathan 11 Rose Hill Christian 12.78
4 Young, Josh 11 Raceland 12.92
Section 5
1 Pugh, Derrick 10 Pikeville 11.57 10
2 Brown, Braden 10 West Carter 11.70 8
3 Trimble, Luke 10 Paintsville 11.88 4
4 Leadford, Chris 12 Elliott County 12.02 2
5 Newsom, Cole 12 Shelby Valley 12.34
6 Bentley, Dylan 11 Jenkins 12.49

:yikes:
He has the fastest time out of all of them. If I remember coorectly he's not small.
bac2369 Wrote:He has the fastest time out of all of them. If I remember coorectly he's not small.

Yes, those times are from the regional track meet when he won the 100 meter dash. Not small at all. Big and strong.
Which kid broke his leg or had an injury again?
Some Returners:

#8 Austin "Squeak" Charles

[YOUTUBE="#8 Austin Charles 2013"]Kc3DIDuJcNY[/YOUTUBE]

#13 Cody Estep

[YOUTUBE="#13 Cody Estep 2013"]A7jjRUMXuA4[/YOUTUBE]

#2 Ben Maynard

[YOUTUBE="#2 Ben Maynard 2013"]5TkT9b1pbv0[/YOUTUBE]
How many on the Pikeville team? Rosters up on KHSAA site for Paintsville, Hazard, Beechwood, Prestonsburg but not Pikeville as of yet.
jetpilot Wrote:How many on the Pikeville team? Rosters up on KHSAA site for Paintsville, Hazard, Beechwood, Prestonsburg but not Pikeville as of yet.

Not for sure, but I've been told around 40,