Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pikeville 2014
Pikeville only loses six seniors this year, but that represents three or four key line spots and one major skill spot. Pikeville had the benefit of some depth this past season, especially on the line. What's the outlook for 2014?
Pikeville is Pikeville, meaning they are always solid, well coached, and have total buy in from the kids. Some big shoes to fill with graduation but IMO it will be the Panthers and Raceland vying for the regional championship again.
I know this isn't the Paintsville 2014 thread, but while we're talking about it, I certainly expect the Tigers to be a major player next year with a year under Coach Chirico and staff under their belts.
Who will get the carries at HB?

Pikeville should be a very solid 1A team once more in 2014.
Great question EKUAlum05. Blake Charles was second string RB in the second half of the season. Kory Stevens could see some action there, senior Ben Maynard. No Chase Hall on the horizon right now, though.
The other Charles boy and Ben Maynard should see alot of carries. Is Maynard the brother of Tyler? I think Pikeville has to be the odds-on favorite from the region. Paintsville will be better, bit imo, are a year removed from being a factor. Fairview is a toss up as well. Raceland will struggle next year in places. Lots of tallent but the Raceland/Pikeville region lost alot of lineman and tallent. It will all boil down to who can replace the guys on the oline and dline. Both Pvilles and Raceland return tallent but not alot of size. Pikevilke returning Charles at QB and Estep have to make them the favorite in the region though.
Pikeville should be the favorite in the region.
^^agreed. But after what wehave seen the last 3 years out of this region is who really knows?! 2011 Pikeville come back down 3 scores to beat Fairview. 2012 Pikeville redeems it's regular season throttling to Raceland by way of a 26-20 final. Then this year Raceland gets over the hump and keeps the Pikeville offense in check. Limiting them to only 18 yards passing and around 60 yards rushing if you take away Hall's 69 yard run and a 48 yard scamper by Charles.

Imo Maynard and the other Charles kid will, by commitee, be able to fill the shoes of Hall. Couple that with Returning Estep at WR and DB as well as Charles at QB, Pikeville has to be the favorite.
Don't forget about Mr. Pugh.

Will be interesting to see how it works out. Definitely the biggest question mark.
True. Pugh is a tough player who could certainly change things up from a ground and pound stand point. What I saw from Pikeville was a lack of being able to drive down the field consistantly when the screen game got shut down. Imo, Wburg owes Pikevikke a great deal of credit. Bc anyone who watched the Pikeville's last 2 offensive series, should have seen what Pikeville was able to do from 7-10 yards throwing the ball. Which is exactly how Wburg had their success. Their short passing game became their run game. Then once we started playing up on them, thy managed to beat us deep.

With a healthy Pugh in the ball game next year, it toughens up that Pikeville offense a bit. Not that the others are soft, but they are speed/finess players. Pugh is a more straight ahead downhill runner.
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:True. Pugh is a tough player who could certainly change things up from a ground and pound stand point. What I saw from Pikeville was a lack of being able to drive down the field consistantly when the screen game got shut down. Imo, Wburg owes Pikevikke a great deal of credit. Bc anyone who watched the Pikeville's last 2 offensive series, should have seen what Pikeville was able to do from 7-10 yards throwing the ball. Which is exactly how Wburg had their success. Their short passing game became their run game. Then once we started playing up on them, thy managed to beat us deep.

With a healthy Pugh in the ball game next year, it toughens up that Pikeville offense a bit. Not that the others are soft, but they are speed/finess players. Pugh is a more straight ahead downhill runner.

Exactly.One game that comes to mind is the the season opener(PCB, against Hazard) very impressive in his running the ball. Loaded with talent, tough nose runner, and plays with so much heart.
E's Army Wrote:Pikeville should be the favorite in the region.

I would agree with this statement. They have the majority of talent returning from an already good team. I think other teams will be competitive in the region (Raceland, Paintsville, etc...) but would have to rate the Panthers the favorite going in to 2014.
I'm not going to count out Fairview until I see who the coach is and who stays and who goes. How did Pikeville match up with Raceland up front this year?
I would like to see a Pikeville vs Pike County Central series started. I think it would be great for both programs.
Outside of Charles' 48 yard run and Hall's 62 yard run, they had no offense. Risner, Boggs, and Manis are gone though. The only player on the line offensively that is left is Lucas Bradley on, dline it will be Isaac Wallace. Raceland's line eventually wore down Pikevilles. If not for Raceland's play calling in the final drive they woukd have scored again. They just started runnig the clock out.

Raceland's line this next season has a big question mark by it
I thought Blake Charles looked good when he got some touches this season. Just a freshman, and dedicated time in the weight should pay off next season. Combine him with D.Pugh, and that could provide some power running when needed. Concerning the line, right now it appears Jordan Scott is the one with the most size. Both he and Tommy Webb could be a force on both sides of the line.
Pikeville hasnt had a big line in recent years though. Pikeville always has great team speed. Which is what propella momentum in the playoffs. More teams are adopting a smaller stronger faster line approach these days. With the up tempo offenses, you almost have to have gaurds that could double as FBs. Ur tackles can be bigger and a little slower but must still have good movement crom sideline to sodeline but gaurds must be abke to move north to south as well. The screen game has become a huge part of hs football
Defensively speed is a difference maker to. Because the scree game is such a factor, having OLBs and DEs that can move are a must.
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:Pikeville hasnt had a big line in recent years though. Pikeville always has great team speed. Which is what propella momentum in the playoffs. More teams are adopting a smaller stronger faster line approach these days. With the up tempo offenses, you almost have to have gaurds that could double as FBs. Ur tackles can be bigger and a little slower but must still have good movement crom sideline to sodeline but gaurds must be abke to move north to south as well. The screen game has become a huge part of hs football

True. There's a lot that can be said about speed. I remember in Pikeville's second championship game in 1988 against Harrodsburg, Pikeville had probably the biggest line ever. They were a ground and pound team. The point is, Harrodsburg was very quick, with a lot of team speed. Pikeville struggled with that having come into the game undefeated at 14-0. In fact , if I recall correctly they went into the half ,down by 3 points. I don't think the Panthers had played a team that season as small and as quick as Harrodsburg. Harrodsburg's biggest lineman was probably around 5-10'' 200lbs., while Pikeville's biggest lineman went 6-5'' 280lbs. Pikeville made adjustments at the half, and went on to win their 2nd championship, however, they were introduced to some team speed and quickness that day.
Pikeville wll be playing at home in playoff next season that's big Confusederiously:
64SUR Wrote:Pikeville wll be playing at home in playoff next season that's big Confusederiously:

That is a fact 64. Can't wait! :Cheerlead
Should be a very good football team next year.
We are coming Pikeville get ready don't disappoint me.You guys can play against our 2013 defenses, We will be better 64SUR Confusedmoke:
Confusederiously:
64SUR Wrote:We are coming Pikeville get ready don't disappoint me.You guys can play against our 2013 defenses, We will be better 64SUR Confusedmoke:

Be a while before you can come 64, but when the time comes, bring it on with the Jackets. Going to be too hard to win at the Hambley Complex. Coaches got the x's and o's, Johnnies and Joes, and Codys, and Darics, and Bens, and Blakes, and Austins, and Jordans, and Tommys, and on, and on, and on, an, and on.......................................................................................................
Confusederiously:
While we didn't lose many seniors numbers wise. Many intangibles like the leadership on defense of Austin Black. The reliability of Chase Hall. The stalwarts on the line Gage Morrison, Larry David Keene, and the Mullins kid must be replaced moving forward. With that said, Coach Mac and staff doesn't have a bare cupboard by ANY stretch. Lots of battle tested talent on this team both on the line and at the skill positions. Cody Charles has improved year by year and has many weapons at his disposal including arguably the most dangerous player in 1a in Cody Estep. Ben Maynard and Daric Pugh have potential to be a 2 headed monster @ RB. There will be some holes to fill along both lines but they have some capable kids to fill in. On defense, frankly, we stunk last year. But with all the youth we had on D last season should be better with a year under there belts and an off season to get stronger. This team should be a VERY tough out for anyone. We have a tough schedule again But having the playoffs at home will be a big adavantage for this Panther team. If this team buys in and Coach Mac and his staff does what they do. It won't be a surprise to see this team end their season in Bowling Green! GO PANTHERS!!!
^thy are my pick to win the East. Id love to see my Rams do it, but i think we wilk take some lumps. It will pay off in the 15/16 seasons though. I think Pikeville would have matched up better against Williamaburg. I dont think they could have won, but feel it would have been a closer game. Wburg had size and speed on the line, Raceland was just too slow. Pikeville was quicker upfront than Raceland.
MERRY CHRISTMAS PIKEVILLE FROM 64SUR. :truestory:
64SUR Wrote:MERRY CHRISTMAS PIKEVILLE FROM 64SUR. :truestory:

And a Merry Christmas and Happy New year to Williamsburg and you,64.
Didn't Pikeville lose a lot?
^yes they did. But they fill the holes with capable bodies. Comparitive to 2012 Pikeville. Everyone thought they were bottom dwellers. Thy took some lumps, but manaed to play their way back into another Regional Championship appearence. The difference in 2014 and 2012 will be the fact that they have an experienced qb to lead them. Hall will be replaced by committee, Black will be replaced by a more atheletic version of himself, the line will be the only question mark. But Pikeville is Pikeville, they always rebuild and compete. BUT, I am calling for them to win the East. I think they have the speed to compete with Wburg.