Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Johnson Central 35 Belfry 19
Scott high school. See I got it right this time. Lol!
Matman great point at least we have 3 we can go with at anytime and very effective and dangerous with them
Nice win JC. Way to finally snap the streak!
Pond creek nation Wrote:QUOTE=MonsterMan;871208]A classic game between to classy teams. Congrats to the Eagles. You have shown you could take some early hard licks and still be fighting at the end. This one is behind both teams, the real season is starting so Monday. I hope Varney is not hurt too bad and as an Eagle fan I hope Belfry can hang another State Title in the trophy case. This is what makes Mountian Football special, great teams and rivalries. But come the end of the day we hillbillies stand up for and cheer for each other.

:rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon:

This game proved that varney is the heart and soul of the belfry pirates[/QUOTE]

well he does do a lot for us, but just having him in the game is like a threat. other backs do better when hes in there cause somebody keepin an eye on thomas. then when they start keying on the other backs and its thomas's turn. thought lovern did a great job kicking. very nice punts and kickoffs. i really wish we could have saw the real outcome.
Diogenes Wrote:They have the meeting and prayer circle on the field after just about every game. Some of them are happier occasions than others, admittedly.

u'd thought they won state championship. if it wasnt that big of a game, then y did they they all eat at pizza hut after the game. and matney say in the newspaper that with this win he thought that proved they could win state.:champ: i dont think belfry could matchup with a few of the 5a teams. much less, win 5a title.
but i will say that it was a good win for jc. not takin that away from u all. been a long time coming and maybe the series is in turnaround moad. jude had a good game, but i think hall had a great game also. jc line was the reason for being though. some holes was big enough 4 mack trucks. my opinion, game turning play was the fumble after the failed
4th down on about the jc 30 yd line. jc then takes it to score makin it a 13-13 game instead of a 20-6.thomas gettin hurt didnt help much either. anyways, that being said, good luck to all mountain teams. bring us home some state championships.
pirateman Wrote:but i will say that it was a good win for jc. not takin that away from u all. been a long time coming and maybe the series is in turnaround moad. jude had a good game, but i think hall had a great game also. jc line was the reason for being though. some holes was big enough 4 mack trucks. my opinion, game turning play was the fumble after the failed
4th down on about the jc 30 yd line. jc then takes it to score makin it a 13-13 game instead of a 20-6.thomas gettin hurt didnt help much either. anyways, that being said, good luck to all mountain teams. bring us home some state championships.

Better watch about saying what you thought turned the game around some people will take it the wrong way and tell ya to quit making excuses??...LOL!!!
I agree 100 % with what you said though. TongueirateSho TongueirateSho
nice job central.... that was a big win. anyone thats beats belfry can brag..and should!!
Never saw this one coming, Nice Win JC
Matman Wrote:How do you know that? That is pure speculation. What if Varney would have went out in the first? Would the margin of victory been larger? By the way KP is just as fast and strong as Varney but not as old. While i do admit Varney is probally better individually than SC's backs but not collectively. SC has 3 good running backs.

The flow of the game changed for Belfry, like it did for SC against Belfry. You could tell from the start of the Belfry/JC game that the defenses were going to struggle. JC moved the ball at will, but fumbled. Belfry exploded on JC with Varney, then he got hurt. Belfry scored initially after Thomas got hurt, but they had their leader out and it eventually caught up with them. The feeling though was that it was going to be a shootout, but after Varney went down, Belfry lost some of their "you score, I'll score" ability. Even with Varney out, Belfry hung in the game until JC just became too much. My point is that SC and Belfry would have been closer had SC been full strength, but Belfry still would have won. You say this is speculation, and maybe you are right. It is speculation backed by historical data. Belfry rarely loses to SC, and they didn't this year. As far as Mikie Moore, look back at my previous posts about Belfry/SC and see the respect I have for him. However, getting to watch Varney every week, you realize what a special player he is. SC has no one, even 3 backs combined, who have been as versatile as Thomas. 20 TDs scored, 1 TD thrown, a TD reception, a field goal, a fifty yard punt, an interception, numerous extra points, a fantastic defender, and booming kickoffs near or through the end zone. Plus he plays each game with a huge bullseye on him being the focus of everyone's defense. Skyles is a nice player and has the "combine" numbers, but maybe you can tell me, Does he have the "it" factor. I knew Varney had it the first scrimmage his sophomore year. Slone, A Ray, and the rest are good, but they are mainly complimentary type players.
Let me ask a purely fun, hypothetical question to the SC fans. Forgive me mods for being off subject. If a healthy Thomas Varney could swith schools to SC ,for one game, and replace your best back, would you take him?
pirateman Wrote:u'd thought they won state championship. if it wasnt that big of a game, then y did they they all eat at pizza hut after the game. and matney say in the newspaper that with this win he thought that proved they could win state.:champ: i dont think belfry could matchup with a few of the 5a teams. much less, win 5a title.

You guys don't eat pizza after the games? Man, we always eat pizza after the game.:popcorn: Does your coach think they can win a state championship? Every coach puts that thought in the kids head, because that should be every coach and teams goals from day one.
bucslover68 Wrote:Let me ask a purely fun, hypothetical question to the SC fans. Forgive me mods for being off subject. If a healthy Thomas Varney could swith schools to SC ,for one game, and replace your best back, would you take him?

i say they give you all 3 for varney
bucslover68 Wrote:Let me ask a purely fun, hypothetical question to the SC fans. Forgive me mods for being off subject. If a healthy Thomas Varney could swith schools to SC ,for one game, and replace your best back, would you take him?

Not a chance. I think Belfry's biggest asset is their line play and coaching. Their backs get big numbers due to the line. I don't know if this line is as good as past lines but the line usually make the backs famous over there. But theres no way i would trade Skyles. He has all the ability in the world. Just remember, hes a sophmore. I think in two years he will be just as good as any back in the state.
I just want to add i do think Varney is a very good High School running back. I wouldn't trade him for anyone in the state this year. But you have to keep an eye on the future.
cuppett777 Wrote:i say they give you all 3 for varney

Let me put it this way if you was a coach would not want this kid he can do everything.
Matman Wrote:Not a chance. I think Belfry's biggest asset is their line play and coaching. Their backs get big numbers due to the line. I don't know if this line is as good as past lines but the line usually make the backs famous over there. But theres no way i would trade Skyles. He has all the ability in the world. Just remember, hes a sophmore. I think in two years he will be just as good as any back in the state.
I just want to add i do think Varney is a very good High School running back. I wouldn't trade him for anyone in the state this year. But you have to keep an eye on the future.

I have all the respect for Skyles. I talked to his dad when we came over to broadcast the SC/ Pburg game. His best days are definitely ahead. When Thomas was a sophomore ,he was starting on D in a state championship game. He had an interception with a return of 23 yards. He carried 2 times for 22 yards. He had 3 kick returns for a 21 yard average, and he punted 7 times for an average of 30 yards with a long of 44. He also led Belfry with 6 tackles. Interesting FYI, Tim Patterson, who is the big stud recruit for Central this year, led the Jackets with 7.5 tackles that afternoon.
Just got back home.

First and foremost I want to say congratulations to a well deserved win for JC. This is a major win for Matney both on a personal level and in the aspect of helping to continue to grow the Johnson Central name. The Eagles were obviously the better team, varney or not, and I hope that they build off this win for another long playoff run!

My hope is Thomas is OK. I think Belfry can take care of business the first two weeks without him, but this kid is one of the elite players in the state and when you lose him you lose so much statistically on every side of the ball, as well as his leadership and ability to make plays in the clutch.

Belfry needs to build off this. The young DL and LB's got shredded by JC and they need to learn from this and improve because it won't be the last time they see some of the things JC did.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Just got back home.

First and foremost I want to say congratulations to a well deserved win for JC. This is a major win for Matney both on a personal level and in the aspect of helping to continue to grow the Johnson Central name. The Eagles were obviously the better team, varney or not, and I hope that they build off this win for another long playoff run!

My hope is Thomas is OK. I think Belfry can take care of business the first two weeks without him, but this kid is one of the elite players in the state and when you lose him you lose so much statistically on every side of the ball, as well as his leadership and ability to make plays in the clutch.

Belfry needs to build off this. The young DL and LB's got shredded by JC and they need to learn from this and improve because it won't be the last time they see some of the things JC did.

Hey EKU, why didn't you call some of the plays for the 'CATS against the Bulldogs?
nice win JC, Congrats.
bucslover68 Wrote:Hey EKU, why didn't you call some of the plays for the 'CATS against the Bulldogs?

I did... they just wouldn't listen! :biggrin:
Matman Wrote:Not a chance. I think Belfry's biggest asset is their line play and coaching. Their backs get big numbers due to the line. .

Regarding the line...your statement simply isn't accurate this year. Our line is young, inexperienced and unless Haywood goes really young...this line is small. JC looked like a college team lined up against us Friday. In Haywood's system...overall the line and Fullback play drive the offense. Unfortunately that hasn't been the case this year. Too many plays having to be "created" by the ball carrier. Belfry's had more 2nd and 3rd and long plays that we've had in the past two seasons combined. This isn't a knock on those kids...it's just is what it is....

When Belfry has to go to 3rd and 4th down..inside the 5 yrd line and has to resort to passing the ball to score...twice in the same game....you know you got issues up front.
A win in a game between two fine teams, regardless of class is something to be respected. This is especially true when the game is relatively close and the players have gutted themselves for their colors. Oh by the way after reading this thread the grapes are not always sweet.

a win in a game between
mr.charlie hustle Wrote:A win in a game between two fine teams, regardless of class is something to be respected. This is especially true when the game is relatively close and the players have gutted themselves for their colors. Oh by the way after reading this thread the grapes are not always sweet.

I haven't gotten the sense of sour grapes.......

Nothing to be sour about if your a Belfry fan.. We were beaten by a better team. You try to build off it......and improve. Thats the moral of the story.

End of discussion.
:moon:
Codeman Wrote:nice job central.... that was a big win. anyone thats beats belfry can brag..and should!!

Heck yeah because God knows they would be.:moon:
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:I haven't gotten the sense of sour grapes.......

Nothing to be sour about if your a Belfry fan.. We were beaten by a better team. You try to build off it......and improve. Thats the moral of the story.

End of discussion.

We will be waiting on you.
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:I haven't gotten the sense of sour grapes.......

End of discussion.

posts: 66,69,70,73,74. TongueirateSho:good team,great school and above all afantistic coach.
BobcatStuckInPowell Wrote:We will be waiting on you.

Where at?? The ticket line? If ya'll get there before we do....save us a place in line...
Any word yet on Thomas Varney's injury?
phs1986 Wrote:See underlined portion:

Yes, they did win by that much but I want to add that the reason they possibly won by this much was JC's VARSITY scored on Belfry's JV... Freshmen and sophomores...

Ok, now i know. Thanks
JC is on a mission now.. :eyeroll: :biggrin: