Poll: Who to beat
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Shelby Valley
35.56%
Hazard
23.70%
Knott Central
19.26%
Letcher Central
7.41%
Other
14.07%
* You voted for this item.

•  Previous
  • 5(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who will be the better Mountain team for 2009?
Letcher central will surprise you next year. they only had one senior( Longworth) and they will be bringing up a group of sophomores and freshman that went 20-3 as a JV squad. They won the JV district and after a 0-2 start , they won 20 of their final 21.Add to that mix 6'4"Jr (to be) Cole Cornettwho missed the last half of the season with a broken hand and Brian Roark(6'3" soph to be ) who missed several games with a broke foot and the Cougars will be all right. A lot depends on the 6"8" Ison kid and how he progresses. Banks, Blair, Reynolds, and Proffitt give them a solid nucleus to start with. And after all, they took Hazard to ot @ Hazard, beat JBS in District, and tied for the 2nd most wins(20 with Cordia) in the 14th region after getting off to a 4-7 start because of football playes not getting out until late.. Let everybody overlook LCC and it may come back to bite them. Also, don't rule out Garrison Collins at LCC next year.
From last I heard, the only other place Collins could go and be eligible without the parents moving is Letcher central which would make them have a great inside presence to go with their guards that already took Hazard to over time without Collins. Look for them to be right at the top!
You have to remember also that Hazard will be better next year than this year.
I have to be go with Hazard Bulldogs, they have the most talent and the best coach in Al Holland.
Is there anyway next that SV and Hazard will play each other?
Tate Cox will be able to play for KCC now. That should make them alot better for next year.
You had better believe that will help them!! I say 1. Hazard 2. Knott Co. Ct 3. Letcher. and 4. Shelby Valley
Windsprint Wrote:Letcher central will surprise you next year. they only had one senior( Longworth) and they will be bringing up a group of sophomores and freshman that went 20-3 as a JV squad. They won the JV district and after a 0-2 start , they won 20 of their final 21.Add to that mix 6'4"Jr (to be) Cole Cornettwho missed the last half of the season with a broken hand and Brian Roark(6'3" soph to be ) who missed several games with a broke foot and the Cougars will be all right. A lot depends on the 6"8" Ison kid and how he progresses. Banks, Blair, Reynolds, and Proffitt give them a solid nucleus to start with. And after all, they took Hazard to ot @ Hazard, beat JBS in District, and tied for the 2nd most wins(20 with Cordia) in the 14th region after getting off to a 4-7 start because of football playes not getting out until late.. Let everybody overlook LCC and it may come back to bite them. Also, don't rule out Garrison Collins at LCC next year.

I had to come out of retirement for this one...You failed to mention that they lost to an average PCC team in the semi finals of the region when it counted most!
My vote goes to Valley. Even though some key players are gone, the injury to Taylor Newsome allowed for Curby Takett to step up and become a better player. Combined with another year of experience for Elisha Justice and Ashley Hatfield this team should be unstopable in the 15th region and the top team in the mountains.

With Elliot County and Hazard behind.
JBS still has two of the probably top 5 players in the 14th region. Don't count them out.
Survivor Wrote:I had to come out of retirement for this one...You failed to mention that they lost to an average PCC team in the semi finals of the region when it counted most!
On PCC's homecourt.
Elliott, SV, and Hazard are all three very close
pickandroll Wrote:JBS still has two of the probably top 5 players in the 14th region. Don't count them out.

I can only remember one that can be considered in the top 5 and thats Garrison.
UKisN1 Wrote:On PCC's homecourt.

It does not matter on which court you played, if your a good enough team, you should be able to win wherever you play!
The elevation in Lexington (1000 ft in most places) above sea level is actually higher than it is in downtown Paintsville or Pikeville (around 750 feet for both). Take a GPS and check it out.

That gives all the Fayette County schools a better claim to be "mountain schools" than anyone in the 15th Region then.

I think what you're really looking for is "rural" vs "urban" schools. And if you're looking for "rural", it does not get any more rural than Elliott County, period.
Now that my Tigers are going to be out of the picture for a year or two, I can see Shelby Valley being a top 10 team in the state both preseason and post season. I think they will be the best representative of mountain basketball for the state next year. If they have a schedule this season like they did last season, should be a tough year for the Wildcats but that will only make them better come tourney time.
I think Shelby Valley will be in The KCC-Hazard Basketball Camp June 2-7 at the Knott County Sportsplex. I'll post the Schedule later!
KCC has played Hazard 4 times and beat them 3. I know summer ball is different but it feels good anyway.
I read these posts and can't help but think............pretty high praise (SV) for a team that didn't win their own region last year.
letthebighogroot Wrote:I read these posts and can't help but think............pretty high praise (SV) for a team that didn't win their own region last year.
I totally agree, they didn't even the get to the finals of the All A (drilled by Pikeville in the semi's) or the 15th Region (beaten by Paintsville after they had it won).
letthebighogroot Wrote:I read these posts and can't help but think............pretty high praise (SV) for a team that didn't win their own region last year.

bball fan Wrote:I totally agree, they didn't even the get to the finals of the All A (drilled by Pikeville in the semi's) or the 15th Region (beaten by Paintsville after they had it won).

If both of you think that Shelby Valley does not deserve the praise they are getting, then you must not have watched much basketball last year. SV was easily one of the top 3 teams in the mountains in 07/08, alongside Paintsville and Hazard.

And don't even try to use the "didn't make it to the region finals" argument. The bracket just happened to have SV and Paintsville meeting up before the finals, even though the two were head and shoulders above everyone else in the region. And as anyone who watched the 15th region tourney knows, SV lost a closely contested game to Paintsville in overtime, in a matchup between two teams about as evenly matched as could be.

The reason why they are regarded so highly for next year is that they return 4 of the 5 players who started for SV at the beginning of last year, in addition to a couple of decent bench players who logged significant minutes this year. While the losses of Jacob Bryant and Jonah Justice will hurt, I expect Valley to adjust and be the early favorite to win the 15th region.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
pickandroll Wrote:JBS still has two of the probably top 5 players in the 14th region. Don't count them out.
Id like to know who in the world you are talking about?
They might have 2 players in the Top 50 in the Region.
RavenBoy Wrote:Id like to know who in the world you are talking about?
They might have 2 players in the Top 50 in the Region.
Collins could help anybodies team, but he will have to set screens for Stepp who can be stopped by any good guard. They have nobody to get it down the floor.
Valley hands down, i mean how can you stop this?

-Elisha Justice
-Logan Bryant
-Ashley Hatfield
-Taylor Newsome
-Deven Adams
timeout Wrote:Collins could help anybodies team, but he will have to set screens for Stepp who can be stopped by any good guard. They have nobody to get it down the floor.
Ill give you Collins but I just dont think Stepp is all that good.
Everyone knows it will be SV and Hazard.
Hazard is tough especially Witaker saw him at Rupp great handles and shot he could be even better with some more muscle and work on his hops some. But i think Valley or Elliot will be ur state contenders this year
mjballer23 Wrote:Hazard is tough especially Witaker saw him at Rupp great handles and shot he could be even better with some more muscle and work on his hops some. But i think Valley or Elliot will be ur state contenders this year
It will be a good match up in the 14th Region with Hazard and Kcc. Ill take Hazard though.
Don't forget the other T. Newsome, heard he has been playing very well so far this summer.
I am telling you guys do not overlook letcher central. They have been working extremely hard this summer, especialy the isom kid. This team will catch some peopel's attention. They have been going to camps, and working alot. Charlie is going to basketball camps this summer, not just football. The freshman class is going to be solid for this team, and we have a decent bench if they work hard this summer. This all depends on the football team and how far they go, if charlie and the rest of them can get in there and practice.
Is there anymore news about Garrison Collins? Is he staying or leaving JBS?
  •  Previous
  • 5(current)
  • Next