•  Previous
  • 5(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Class 3 A Championship Belfry 30 Bell Co 20
Proud of Our Bobcats I knew that Belfry would be a tough out and most on here would agree I think both teams were better than expected Congrats to Belfry they are a good team and we are a good team was a great physical game to watch no one has any reason to hold their heads down!!
Being an original Harlan county resident and fan and now a current belfry resident and fan for the last 4 years or so, I’ve had and seen some battles with Dudley and Bell. The rivalry with HC and Bell was always nasty, this banter with Bell and Belfry has been pleasant. After last nights game we talked to a lot of Bell fans and they couldn’t have been more respectful and having good things to say about the Pirates. We walked by a group of middle schoolers and they was asking my wife if they could move to Belfry lol. It was a great night of football. As for the game, the better team won and that’s about it. I will ask this, why did Dudley go away from RPO’s? They was burning us with those and we had no answer for it. That’s a play you can run every single play and move down the field. Watching London play live was a treat because that was one elusive kid. Just when you think he’s cornered, he slips out and gone. I do think we did a better job in the second half with him but i really think Dudley helped us out by not running that RPO every chance he got. Bells offense goes the way of London, when we did stop him, we stopped Bell. Their running backs didn’t offer much which is a credit to Belfrys D. The way 3A is looking right now, IMO until the next realignment it’s going to be a 3 or maybe 4 team show. That’s Belfry, Bell, Desales, and CAL. Again hats off to Bell, you did shock me and the game itself was closer than i would have thought.
AtlPirateFan Wrote:Still feels good this morning. I will be less humble and gracious than most for the next few days, especially about the schedule conversation.

A good football team is born in practice but championship teams are made with strength through adversity. The strongest steel is forged by the fires of hell. Pounded and struck repeatedly before being plunged back into the molten fire.

To continue to deny that Bell County played a schedule that hurt them last night is shortsighted. A schedule like Bell played allowed two things, a nice win total and some big stats for your star athletes. What it does not do is sharpen instincts, humble your players or force your team to actually get better. Ask KCD how their schedule prepared them for Paintsville, better yet ask Eminence (one of the winningest programs in the state since 1986) how their regular season schedule and success prepares them for a run every year. Hint they've won a single playoff game, and consistently win 8 or more games every year.

Bell County was in last night's game by the sheer determination of London Stephany and London Stephany alone. Had that kid not been on the field it would have been a worse night for Dudely than it already was. 1400 yard rusher Brandon Baker was nowhere to be found, most of Bell's designed plays failed and Stephany was able to recover and turn it into something. Bad snaps all night long that he was able to make into something, the first fumble-TD for instance. All week we heard how he would be chasing down Belfry's backs and all I saw was Issac Dixon blow right by him several times. Hunter Bailey and the defense that recorded 72 TFL on the year could get nowhere near the backfield let alone disrupt the mesh point. The Bell D line was manhandled all night long, Belfry had guys in Bells backfield all night as well credit to Stephany for avoiding most of that pressure. Peyton Hensley quietly racked up 100 yards. Belfry did what they do and rushed for over 370 yards just like they have all year because they were prepared.

In the end, the great Dudley Hilton coached a bad game. He brought an ill-prepared team to Lexington that had not faced adversity and therefore did not know how to deal with it. Poor play calling and he left 3 timeouts on the field. He made a bad decision to receive to open the game because he knew the MO all year has been score first, score fast. When things started to break down it became the London Stephany show and had he passed more out of the RPO we may be talking about a different ball game this morning.

In the end, the 3A title game was a really good football team forged in the fires of adversity vs a really good football player whose coach failed to have his team ready to support him when the easy wins of the weak scheduled regular-season ran out and it was time to step up.

Some say this game was closer than the score, I say the opposite Bell is lucky it wasn't worse.

Enjoy the crow.

You are single handedly making your whole fan base look bad, congrats. None of us have said bad things about Belfry before or after the game, all we’ve ever said is we thought we could compete and we did.

I have no idea why you feel the need to get on here and run kids down or try and convince them a coach that cares about them “failed them”. It’s obvious you live a pitiful existence if you can’t just enjoy your win and feel the need to get on here and say the garbage you have today.
fridaynightfights Wrote:You are single handedly making your whole fan base look bad, congrats. None of us have said bad things about Belfry before or after the game, all we’ve ever said is we thought we could compete and we did.

I have no idea why you feel the need to get on here and run kids down or try and convince them a coach that cares about them “failed them”. It’s obvious you live a pitiful existence if you can’t just enjoy your win and feel the need to get on here and say the garbage you have today.
I don’t see where he’s running kids down. Recapping a game and telling what a player did or didn’t do isn’t running one down. I don’t see where he’s said one bad thing about a kid. As far as coaches go, they’re adults and will be praised as well as criticized.
Demarcus ware Wrote:I don’t see where he’s running kids down. Recapping a game and telling what a player did or didn’t do isn’t running one down. I don’t see where he’s said one bad thing about a kid. As far as coaches go, they’re adults and will be praised as well as criticized.

When a kid looks up to a coach and they coaches have helped the kid it’s BS to tell them they should go ask them why the coach why did you abandon us and failed them. You can talk about the schedule, but reality is knox a Central was coming off a state semi final appearance so I don’t think anyone saw them regressing like they did, Harlan Co and whitley co have been on schedule for years. We played a bowl game against Collins who frankly was abnormally bad and we have half the schedule tied up by a weak district we can’t control. I get maybe it could’ve made a difference, but enjoy your win and move on, don’t build yourself up tearing us down. A lot of our kids have very hard lives, as I’m sure some of hours do, constantly tearing down some of the few people in their lives that do all they can for them is garbage.

To be honest I wasn’t that mad until I read the go ask coach why you did you abandon us garbage.
No matter what anyone says on here it was a great game between two good teams. Bell has nothing to hold their heads down about. Parents and fans should be proud from both sides of the field. Except the woman from bell holding the sign that said, “I keep setting my DVR to record the biggest loser, but it keeps recording Belfry football games”. Haha. I thought it was funny but some didn’t take it so well haha. Belfry fans did find the sign after the game and made a FB post about meeting us under the red lights at 3am and they would return her sign with autographs. That was hilarious.
Bell folk have a hard time with reality. It’s new to Belfry folk. They are the best, even when second place. Their coach kinda rubs off on them.
fridaynightfights Wrote:You are single handedly making your whole fan base look bad, congrats. None of us have said bad things about Belfry before or after the game, all we’ve ever said is we thought we could compete and we did.

AltPiarate is one fan, who has the right to his or her opinion. It’s categorically wrong to lump the Belfry fanbase into their position on last nights game. Whether you agree or disagree with the opinions expressed is one thing, but don’t make the situation more than what it really is. It’s one poster, who expressed their opinion.....whether right or wrong is irrelevant.....The Belfry fanbase as a whole has been very gracious in victory ( which is an easy thing to do). The Bobcat faithful have been very gracious in defeat( which we know from DeSales last week, that’s not always the case).

Let it be what it is.....one posters opinion. Nothing more, nothing less.
Demarcus ware Wrote:No matter what anyone says on here it was a great game between two good teams. Bell has nothing to hold their heads down about. Parents and fans should be proud from both sides of the field. Except the woman from bell holding the sign that said, “I keep setting my DVR to record the biggest loser, but it keeps recording Belfry football games”. Haha. I thought it was funny but some didn’t take it so well haha. Belfry fans did find the sign after the game and made a FB post about meeting us under the red lights at 3am and they would return her sign with autographs. That was hilarious.

I agree and people can hate Dudley, but to several of our kids over the year he’s the only thing close to a father any of them ever had and that is true of a lot of coaches in multiple sports I don’t like people insinuating he intentionally tried to abandon his kids or failed them, and I would defend almost any coach on that. It’s completely uncalled for.
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:.

AltPiarate is one fan, who has the right to his or her opinion. It’s categorically wrong to lump the Belfry fanbase into their position on last nights game. Whether you agree or disagree with the opinions expressed is one thing, but don’t make the situation more than what it really is. It’s one poster, who expressed their opinion.....whether right or wrong is irrelevant.....The Belfry fanbase as a whole has been very gracious in victory ( which is an easy thing to do). The Bobcat faithful have been very gracious in defeat( which we know from DeSales last week, that’s not always the case).

Let it be what it is.....one posters opinion. Nothing more, nothing less.
Well said!!
As for my opinion of the Game. They are both legit mountain football powerhouse teams. Lots of tradition. I believe Belfry had been tested during the season and had seen great athletes play on both sides of the ball. That experience without a doubt made them who they were at week 15. Bell was a much better team offensively than in the past. London is a freak athlete, smooth, and a smart player.
Every game the loser could have done something different in hindsight to make the game go their way. We as fans question coaches decisions in the loss, but if it works it’s not usually brought up. But. I feel like Dudley should have punted, used timeouts, passed the football. It’s hard to wrap my head around the fact that he took 3 timeouts back to Bell county to the postgame party he promised at 1230 when he got home.
fridaynightfights Wrote:When a kid looks up to a coach and they coaches have helped the kid it’s BS to tell them they should go ask them why the coach why did you abandon us and failed them. You can talk about the schedule, but reality is knox a Central was coming off a state semi final appearance so I don’t think anyone saw them regressing like they did, Harlan Co and whitley co have been on schedule for years. We played a bowl game against Collins who frankly was abnormally bad and we have half the schedule tied up by a weak district we can’t control. I get maybe it could’ve made a difference, but enjoy your win and move on, don’t build yourself up tearing us down. A lot of our kids have very hard lives, as I’m sure some of hours do, constantly tearing down some of the few people in their lives that do all they can for them is garbage.

To be honest I wasn’t that mad until I read the go ask coach why you did you abandon us garbage.

Look , I’m sorry your feelings are hurt. You can like my analysis or not, don’t really care. Call it how I see it and I saw Dudley be Dudley. London wasn’t enough and he tried to ride that kid. If Coach Haywood would have conceded like Dudley did I would be just as critical.

As for the “we have to play” , our district is pretty terrible too. Haywood makes up for that where he can.

Good luck next season, hope we get to see the Bobcats again, regardless of my opinion of Dudley, mountain football is better all around when Bell is good.
Wins outweighs preparation for Dudley. Bottom line.
Congrats to your boy 55Piratefan!! I’m sure it was an awesome experience getting to see first hand, every day the progress that team made to achieve what they have!! No & forever you’ll be the proud papa of a State Champion!! I couldn’t be happier for you bud!!
Boomer_Sooner Wrote:Congrats to your boy 55Piratefan!! I’m sure it was an awesome experience getting to see first hand, every day the progress that team made to achieve what they have!! No & forever you’ll be the proud papa of a State Champion!! I couldn’t be happier for you bud!!

Thanks buddy, I appreciate that.
2016 4-8 (year before Coach Hilton returner)
2017 7-4 (Coach Hilton’s first year)
2018 11-2
2019 14-1

Coach Hilton is a champion. The program literallly had no hope until he came back.
All is not lost for Dudley Hilton. He is outside Kroger Field scalping tickets. Truth all most bought some just to make him feel better. Sad really.
They had a great year, but it isn’t as much a great return as you get excited about. Bell will win the region the next 3 years for sure and RPI will decide how they do because of realignment. After the next realignment in 2023 I think, you then can see how much of a turn around he does. Not playing cross districts makes it easy for them to continue winning.
7-4 before recruit from Knoxville. Take him away and what do you have the last two years? Dudley is a great coach, but many wins have been against weak opponents.
Cattleman Wrote:All is not lost for Dudley Hilton. He is outside Kroger Field scalping tickets. Truth all most bought some just to make him feel better. Sad really.

:thatsfunn

The few interactions I’ve had with coach Hilton have been very good as he was very kind & a class act every time. What’s so funny about your post is the first of those interactions was the ‘04 2A title (Belfry’s second) when I was a senior. My friends & I are walking through the parking lot to the stadium to watch the game & Coach Hilton walks right up to the 6 of us & says “I got 6. Half of what your gonna pay @ the window “. Haha. I couldn’t believe the great Dudley Hilton, who I had briefly mistaken for Tom Larkey, was in the parking lot of Papa John’s stadium trying to scalp a roll of tickets!! Still get a nice chuckle out of it!!
Congrats to Bell County on a great season. Keep up the work and you will be back. Belfry what can I say y'all are a beast. Congrats on another state title.
Congratulations to the Pirate Nation
Don't know if I said it already but Congrats Belfry and Coach Haywood!!
Congratulations to both teams. Bell County was as good as advertised. I got to see 3 games this year, Knox, Whitley and Belfry games. A good looking team. I was really impressed with Belfry. I think Belfry is the only 3A team beating Bell this year with that DEFENSE. Hats off to there offense, man, looked like a well oiled machine and with Dixon running like he did, they was just hard to stop. My boy plays on the line and I typically watch the line play and I have to say I was really watching ole 55 for Belfry. He did his job. I don't know how many times I saw a back go up the gut on a cutback for big yardage. I remember reading earlier in the year about 55 for Belfry's dad possibly not getting to watch his son for this season. I thought of that at the game. Ill say for both fan bases, enjoy the moment. These two titan programs have coaches that will go down in history as the greatest of all time, and that means the programs as well. It was a good show and I was proud of our mountain teams! Again Congratulations to Belfry and Bell on a Classic.
ArJay Wrote:2016 4-8 (year before Coach Hilton returner)
2017 7-4 (Coach Hilton’s first year)
2018 11-2
2019 14-1

Coach Hilton is a champion. The program literallly had no hope until he came back.

It’s hard to argue with this and some of the other comments made about Dudley...While I enjoy the banter with some of the Bell Co faithful and gouging ole Dud in the process he’s prolly done more for some of the young men of Bell Co than any one educator or coach in that area in the last few decades...No doubt he can build a football team and get kids to play for him...Congrats to both teams on great seasons, btw anyone know if Stephney has any offers at the next level?
single shot Wrote:It’s hard to argue with this and some of the other comments made about Dudley...While I enjoy the banter with some of the Bell Co faithful and gouging ole Dud in the process he’s prolly done more for some of the young men of Bell Co than any one educator or coach in that area in the last few decades...No doubt he can build a football team and get kids to play for him...Congrats to both teams on great seasons, btw anyone know if Stephney has any offers at the next level?

I've heard, nor sure, that he has a couple offers from Army and Air Force, I believe. I know one thing, with his style of play, he'd be a perfect fit in that West Point offense.
single shot Wrote:It’s hard to argue with this and some of the other comments made about Dudley...While I enjoy the banter with some of the Bell Co faithful and gouging ole Dud in the process he’s prolly done more for some of the young men of Bell Co than any one educator or coach in that area in the last few decades...No doubt he can build a football team and get kids to play for him...Congrats to both teams on great seasons, btw anyone know if Stephney has any offers at the next level?

Some of Bell posters are clueless . Ask any player what happen when they finished their senior year football season..... kick out of locker room. Not allowed in weight room. Never helped in recruiting process.....just a few facts. Some adults can’t see for cheeks of his azz is why you get these statements. Wins and Dudley is ALL Dudley cares for. There were two games that could have been scheduled that would have helped but South Laurel was a better fit for Dudley . So you have what we have not tested because of a weak schedule. Get it right.

And your fan base doesn’t. Your fan base are the worst about bad mouthing a certain program and coach. You ran from him and yet still bad mouth him and his team. So don’t like your halo is a one size fits all. I could have acted like you all acted the past two years. But I congratulated you all for your season. Runner up do mean something to the programs.
Bossdaddy 4115 Wrote:And your fan base doesn’t. Your fan base are the worst about bad mouthing a certain program and coach. You ran from him and yet still bad mouth him and his team. So don’t like your halo is a one size fits all. I could have acted like you all acted the past two years. But I congratulated you all for your season. Runner up do mean something to the programs.

Don't judge a whole fan bas on what everyone has to say cause I for one don't judge others on one in their fan base
Bossdaddy 4115 Wrote:And your fan base doesn’t. Your fan base are the worst about bad mouthing a certain program and coach. You ran from him and yet still bad mouth him and his team. So don’t like your halo is a one size fits all. I could have acted like you all acted the past two years. But I congratulated you all for your season. Runner up do mean something to the programs.

There is a few of ours that does run mouth about other ones that's for sure
  •  Previous
  • 5(current)
  • Next