Poll: Who wins
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Whitley Co.
43.33%
Corbin
56.67%
* You voted for this item.

•  Previous
  • 5(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
#5 Corbin @ Whitley County 8/21
they been playing off and on since 1966. Whitley has never won.Hasn't been close since 1969. That one was only close for 3 quarters.
Junejett1 Wrote:they been playing off and on since 1966. Whitley has never won.Hasn't been close since 1969. That one was only close for 3 quarters.

Whitley County wasn't built until 1963 and haven't played Corbin in 30 years.
Junejett1 Wrote:they been playing off and on since 1966. Whitley has never won.Hasn't been close since 1969. That one was only close for 3 quarters.

:biglmao:

Gotta love the fake history nuts.

Can you tell us how many times the two have played? What years they were and the score?

Ill give you a hint.

Yes, Corbin is undefeated against Whitley.
If I recall, 15-0 to be exact.

95% of posters on this site weren't alive the last time they played.

So they played 15 times in Whitleys first 20 years of existence.
Back then the enrollment numbers were similar, Corbin was one of the best football powers in the state, and Whitley combined schools like Woodbine and Poplar Creek to form a high school of kids who had never played football.

YOU SHOULDA WON ALL 15.

Had the two played from lets say 93 to 02, there would have been some major catching up. Corbin may still be stuck on 15.

Now, if Corbin wins the next 15, ill put on the damn redhound shirt myself and switch sides. Until then, see you soon. :welcome:
wildcats fan Wrote:I'm going to go with Whitley County by 2 touchdowns

Just for that, ill give you Bell by 2 TD's over Corbin Confusednicker:
RunItUpTheGut Wrote::biglmao:

Gotta love the fake history nuts.

Can you tell us how many times the two have played? What years they were and the score?

Ill give you a hint.

Yes, Corbin is undefeated against Whitley.
If I recall, 15-0 to be exact.

95% of posters on this site weren't alive the last time they played.

So they played 15 times in Whitleys first 20 years of existence.
Back then the enrollment numbers were similar, Corbin was one of the best football powers in the state, and Whitley combined schools like Woodbine and Poplar Creek to form a high school of kids who had never played football.

YOU SHOULDA WON ALL 15.

Had the two played from lets say 93 to 02, there would have been some major catching up. Corbin may still be stuck on 15.

Now, if Corbin wins the next 15, ill put on the damn redhound shirt myself and switch sides. Until then, see you soon. :welcome:

I'm not sure,but I dont think Whitley County had a football team immediately after the school was built either.

It took Whitley a while to become competitive if football. I won't go as far as Gut went, but if they would have played over the last 15 years or so, the games would have been pretty even most years, and Whitley would have won their fair share of them.
pjdoug Wrote:I'm not sure,but I dont think Whitley County had a football team immediately after the school was built either.

They had a JV team that year and I was at the first practice...
Didn't Whitley county win a district title in like 1976? What was the score of the Corbin Whitley game that year. Idk if they even played. I just know that Whitley had one of their best teams before the mid 1990's that year.
pjdoug Wrote:I'm not sure,but I dont think Whitley County had a football team immediately after the school was built either.

Whitley played only JV football in 63. They started there varsity program in 64.

Sad to say most of those guys aren't around anymore.
Single Wing 77 Wrote:Didn't Whitley county win a district title in like 1976? What was the score of the Corbin Whitley game that year. Idk if they even played. I just know that Whitley had one of their best teams before the mid 1990's that year.

Whitley won two district titles from 64 to 01.

You are right about 1976. Whitley finished 9-2 that year and lost in the first round to eventual state champion Erlanger Lloyd.
Ill have to dig out the records later, but im pretty sure there only other loss was to Corbin, and it was something like 49-6? I believe that shows the difference in the gap between the two at the time. Corbin and Archie won a title that year.

As for the other year, ill also have to look. I think it was early 80's, but I may be thinking about the basketball district titles.

Overall I want to say Whitley has around 20 district runner ups. Mostly to Bell and Rock.

Old Jacket may remember the other one assuming there was one in the late 70's or early 80's. I know the basketball team won district titles in like 78 and 81 so they may be running together in my head. Ill have to look at my records later to confirm.
SEKYFAN Wrote:It took Whitley a while to become competitive if football. I won't go as far as Gut went, but if they would have played over the last 15 years or so, the games would have been pretty even most years, and Whitley would have won their fair share of them.

All joking aside, had the two never stopped playing, Corbin would have kept winning until around 92 or 93 then Whitley probably would have won almost all of them until around 01, then from 01 till present I could see it being about split.

Over all, id say Corbin would of had around 30 wins today to Whitleys 15.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:All joking aside, had the two never stopped playing, Corbin would have kept winning until around 92 or 93 then Whitley probably would have won almost all of them until around 01, then from 01 till present I could see it being about split.

Over all, id say Corbin would of had around 30 wins today to Whitleys 15.

I'm sure whitley would have won some games, but I doubt they would have won in 96, 2000, or 2001.
Good luck Corbin and Whitley on the 2015 season:Thumbs:
goBIGblue82 Wrote:I'm sure whitley would have won some games, but I doubt they would have won in 96, 2000, or 2001.

I may give you 96. I was actually at the game at Corbin when Madison southern upset them. One of my oldest memories of high school football. Whitley graduated a crap load of talent of the 95 team that went something like 11-2. I still think they won 8 or 9 games that year, but I remember write ups in the paper thinking Corbin was destined to win it all. That's why we went to watch the spectacle and just like that it was over. Ive been to 8 Corbin games in my life. 7 of them were at home, 6 of those were playoff games and I think 5 of them were losses. I must be bad luck for Corbin Confusednicker:

As for 00 and 01, no chance. Whitley all day. Corbin did have good years in both of those, but I remember more about those two years than any other in history. I should. They were my junior and senior years.

In 00, the only regular season game we lost was Rock by a couple of touchdowns. If not for Highlands there's a good chance Rock would have won the 3A title. Rock shut out 7 teams that year, put up 80 points in a single game, 70 and 60 in another if im not mistaken and killed every EKY team they played except us and another one loss team, Sheldon Clark. Finished 13-1. We lost to Sheldon Clark in the second round on the road who lost to Rock by 1 in the region championship. I remember Corbin losing 3 or 4 games, didn't even win there district, and having a extremely weak schedule, which was around the time everything reclassified and gave Corbin the easiest region in history for the next decade. I think Corbin made it all the way to semis that year before they played somebody good and got crushed. I was at the game, but cannot remember who it was. Glasgow maybe?

In 01 there is even a wider gap. We did lose to a bad Ryle team on a fluke play and screwed up punt, but had 5 or 6 starters out sick, including Lawson, or he may have played sick or injured, my memory is fuzzy on that. We also had a 320 pound punter that game who decided to run the ball every time it was snapped to him. Other than that we did not lose until Scott County in the playoffs. Had Brian Lawson not went down early in the game, we would have won that one too. Didn't have a backup that ever played a varsity down after Brian. Corbin had a good team that year as well. Lost one or may have even went undefeated, I cant remember for sure, but I know they lost in the first round. Only thing is, we beat Pburg that year who made it to the 2A state final, while Corbin didn't even win a playoff game. Didn't Corbin struggle with South some that year as well? I think they beat them pretty good, maybe 3 or 4 tds, but seems like it was close for a half or 3 quarters. We were putting frosh in during the first quarter of that one and taking knees out of mercy. I remember vividly we beat North and South both by a score of 49-0. Could have been 99-0 at the half. It was embarrassing. It was like a perfect storm for Corbin that year. Almost every team they played had like there worst teams in school history. Bell was even awful that year.

All in all, ill give you 96, but to be honest, I never said Whitley would win them all just that they would have dominated the same way Corbin would have up to that point and from a few years later. 02 would have went to Corbin, but if you give us both Lawsons back and id take Whitley. I think 03 threw 05 would have been pretty close. Both teams were nothing special in those days. 06 and 07 Corbin easy. 08 and 09 for Whitley, 10, 11, and 12 may have been close games, and Corbin in 13 and 14.

I still think the series would have been something like 30-15 for Corbin.

That means 15-15 since 85 which is why the game should have been played every year. Would have been a hell of a rivalry since 90.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I may give you 96. I was actually at the game at Corbin when Madison southern upset them. One of my oldest memories of high school football. Whitley graduated a crap load of talent of the 95 team that went something like 11-2. I still think they won 8 or 9 games that year, but I remember write ups in the paper thinking Corbin was destined to win it all. That's why we went to watch the spectacle and just like that it was over. Ive been to 8 Corbin games in my life. 7 of them were at home, 6 of those were playoff games and I think 5 of them were losses. I must be bad luck for Corbin Confusednicker:

As for 00 and 01, no chance. Whitley all day. Corbin did have good years in both of those, but I remember more about those two years than any other in history. I should. They were my junior and senior years.

In 00, the only regular season game we lost was Rock by a couple of touchdowns. If not for Highlands there's a good chance Rock would have won the 3A title. Rock shut out 7 teams that year, put up 80 points in a single game, 70 and 60 in another if im not mistaken and killed every EKY team they played except us and another one loss team, Sheldon Clark. Finished 13-1. We lost to Sheldon Clark in the second round on the road who lost to Rock by 1 in the region championship. I remember Corbin losing 3 or 4 games, didn't even win there district, and having a extremely weak schedule, which was around the time everything reclassified and gave Corbin the easiest region in history for the next decade. I think Corbin made it all the way to semis that year before they played somebody good and got crushed. I was at the game, but cannot remember who it was. Glasgow maybe?

In 01 there is even a wider gap. We did lose to a bad Ryle team on a fluke play and screwed up punt, but had 5 or 6 starters out sick, including Lawson, or he may have played sick or injured, my memory is fuzzy on that. We also had a 320 pound punter that game who decided to run the ball every time it was snapped to him. Other than that we did not lose until Scott County in the playoffs. Had Brian Lawson not went down early in the game, we would have won that one too. Didn't have a backup that ever played a varsity down after Brian. Corbin had a good team that year as well. Lost one or may have even went undefeated, I cant remember for sure, but I know they lost in the first round. Only thing is, we beat Pburg that year who made it to the 2A state final, while Corbin didn't even win a playoff game. Didn't Corbin struggle with South some that year as well? I think they beat them pretty good, maybe 3 or 4 tds, but seems like it was close for a half or 3 quarters. We were putting frosh in during the first quarter of that one and taking knees out of mercy. I remember vividly we beat North and South both by a score of 49-0. Could have been 99-0 at the half. It was embarrassing. It was like a perfect storm for Corbin that year. Almost every team they played had like there worst teams in school history. Bell was even awful that year.

All in all, ill give you 96, but to be honest, I never said Whitley would win them all just that they would have dominated the same way Corbin would have up to that point and from a few years later. 02 would have went to Corbin, but if you give us both Lawsons back and id take Whitley. I think 03 threw 05 would have been pretty close. Both teams were nothing special in those days. 06 and 07 Corbin easy. 08 and 09 for Whitley, 10, 11, and 12 may have been close games, and Corbin in 13 and 14.

That means 15-15 since 85 which is why the game should have been played every year. Would have been a hell of a rivalry since 90.

You should attend every Corbin game if you are bad luck for them. Whitley was the better team in 2000-2001. Lawson's should be playing in the county and not carrying Hounds through playoffs :biggrin:
pjdoug Wrote:You should attend every Corbin game if you are bad luck for them. Whitley was the better team in 2000-2001. Lawson's should be playing in the county and not carrying Hounds through playoffs :biggrin:

I will agree that 00-01 would have been very evenly matched and great games, but I still think Corbin finds a way to win. There wasn't a Lawson starting in the backfield during those years. In 2000 you had John Sizemore, Mike Neal, Cook, and Steely. With Mills and Hoover at wideouts. 2001 lost some of the backs, but gained Jarrod Lawson and the Oline was nasty. Lawson's carried a lot of the load for the hounds from 02-05.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I may give you 96. I was actually at the game at Corbin when Madison southern upset them. One of my oldest memories of high school football. Whitley graduated a crap load of talent of the 95 team that went something like 11-2. I still think they won 8 or 9 games that year, but I remember write ups in the paper thinking Corbin was destined to win it all. That's why we went to watch the spectacle and just like that it was over. Ive been to 8 Corbin games in my life. 7 of them were at home, 6 of those were playoff games and I think 5 of them were losses. I must be bad luck for Corbin Confusednicker:

The 2000 season goes to Corbin imho. That Glasgow team Corbin lost too in the semifinals was one of the fastest teams I ever saw. The 2001 season was probably a toss up. Both teams were as talented as any I ever saw in the tri county. I watched both play because I played at south that year. Both were VERY big VERY physical teams. I think it would have been a great game to watch. After that I transferred to Corbin. I have no doubt that Corbin would have won in 03, 04 would have depended on when we played in the season. We had a very cold streak early in the season because the injury bug plagued us. The Lawson's left Whitley because Campbell was a jerk. A LOT of players either quit or left Whitley because Campbell was a jerk and nobody wanted to play for him. The best thing that happened to Whitley county football was that Campbell left. After 04 I really don't know how it goes I'd say a coin flip most years and a couple years where Whitley would have won hands down and a couple years where Corbin would have won hands down. My guess at a series standing is 30-10 with ten years too close to call.

That being said I'm really glad the two schools decided to play again so we don't have to guess who would win. My prediction for this season is 35-28 hounds on top.
Good to see Greg D. Back around thE program.

Corbin 35
WC 14
goBIGblue82 Wrote:I will agree that 00-01 would have been very evenly matched and great games, but I still think Corbin finds a way to win. There wasn't a Lawson starting in the backfield during those years. In 2000 you had John Sizemore, Mike Neal, Cook, and Steely. With Mills and Hoover at wideouts. 2001 lost some of the backs, but gained Jarrod Lawson and the Oline was nasty. Lawson's carried a lot of the load for the hounds from 02-05.

2000 could have been a good game. I still think Whitley wins but Corbin could have hanged with us. In 01 I just don't see it. You think your line was nasty but we had the best oline Whitley ever produced that year. 6'6 and 315 was the norm. I'm no little guy but Hundley, Peters, and Young absolutely dwarfed me. And that has just on the o line. On defense we had guy like Partin at nose guard who were just as big and bigger. They played with weight that kids today max out with. The only lineman I remember from Corbin during that year was the Stradley? Kid if im rhinking of the right year, and that other big guy but I can't remember his name. They were small compared in size and I'm not exaggerating.
In 2000 we still had Gibbs who may be the best lineman to come out of this area since then with Blakely and Jarrod in the backfield. Plus all the juniors who were seniors that I mentioned above. So really our line may have been just as good or better in 00. We both killed Bell anyways and at the end of the day that's always a good thing. I remember the Cooke the most out of that Corbin backfield and of course sizemore. I'm trying to recall the Steely. I don't remember him unless he's actually one of the ones I'm thinking about.
As the Corbin poster above said, those two years were as good of football talent as a while this county has seen. 08 probably has the best winning percentage out of the bunch as a whole and won more but football in 00 and 01 in Corbin and Whitley was damn good football. If we could have combined teams in 00 and 01 and played Corbin 2A route I think we take state. Doubt 3A and 4A those two years that Whitley transitioned though. Highlands was loaded in 00 as usual and 4A was stacked in 01.
Single Wing 77 Wrote:The 2000 season goes to Corbin imho. That Glasgow team Corbin lost too in the semifinals was one of the fastest teams I ever saw. The 2001 season was probably a toss up. Both teams were as talented as any I ever saw in the tri county. I watched both play because I played at south that year. Both were VERY big VERY physical teams. I think it would have been a great game to watch. After that I transferred to Corbin. I have no doubt that Corbin would have won in 03, 04 would have depended on when we played in the season. We had a very cold streak early in the season because the injury bug plagued us. The Lawson's left Whitley because Campbell was a jerk. A LOT of players either quit or left Whitley because Campbell was a jerk and nobody wanted to play for him. The best thing that happened to Whitley county football was that Campbell left. After 04 I really don't know how it goes I'd say a coin flip most years and a couple years where Whitley would have won hands down and a couple years where Corbin would have won hands down. My guess at a series standing is 30-10 with ten years too close to call.

That being said I'm really glad the two schools decided to play again so we don't have to guess who would win. My prediction for this season is 35-28 hounds on top.

I can respect your opinion. It's refreshing to talk good football and history with fans like myself who are either lying or trolling every other post. 2000 was a memorable year for me because of some of the guys we played against. Some of them are referred to as legends at Rock and SC. I might be a little biased the same as anyone as that comes straight out of my body of work. I know Campbell tried to schedule Corbin in the 00 and 01 seasons. The closest we got was playing in the pigskin against Conner in 00 and Campbell wanted to play Corbin in 01 in the pigskin at Corbin with no return game but it of course fell threw. That was the only reason we played in the pigskin in 00. It's also why we had to pick up Ryle in 01. Had they went threw we wouldn't be debating the winner of 01. I wish that game would have happened.

As for the Campbell comments I couldn't disagree more. Every person I've heard say that Campbell was a jerk was either someone who had never met him or a student he jumped on to. But again what high school coach, especially during that Era didn't puff there chest out and act egotistical. I've heard the same and worse about Jewel but I reserve my judgement because I personally have never talked to him. If you played for Campbell you would have done anything for him. For some reason Campbell always got an unreasonable and unfair judgement maybe because of his life style and being so much different than coaches like Jewel or others. I mean the guy went and got a red storm lightning bolt tattoo for us. Couple other coaches did too. At the end if the day though he would have done anything for any kid that played for him and gave it all they had. There isn't anything I wouldn't do for Campbell, Cotton, Ysidro, or Black who fun fact left as D Coordinator at Whitley to take the Wburg job. He was replaced by none other than Greer. Greer was a different type than those guys. He didn't fit that mold, at least for me.I thought he was a good coach but he wasn't nearly demanding or tough enough compared to the others. Maybe it's because if what we were use to but Greer seemed resistant to engage kids when they screwed up. I stead of chewing you out it was usually a sly remark.
As for the Lawson situation I think popular belief has always been he left because of Campbell. Same way with Brad. I don't know what others think but both would have got the touches they wanted and started in the back field. Most think Campbell preferred Adkins over those two when in fact he would have used all three in 01 and in 00 Jarrod was starting and got a lot of touches but he was just a sophomore. Blakely was a senior and better. I even heard Campbell told Lawson that Adkins was going to be the back and he better be ready to block. That's bull. If anyone knows Campbell it didn't matter if you were the best player to play the game he wouldn't prop anyone up. That's why I know he wouldn't have said that. He undertalked everyone. That was his way of going about it though.
As for Brad we played him quite a bit in 01. He ran the ball several times but we had older players ahead. The sour taste about that is when he left it finally made Campbell mad enough and he fought it which is why Brad didn't play in 02. I never understood that one though. A lot of people get confused and thought they were related when Jarrod want related to any of the other Lawsons. That's what confuses me about Brad. I was aleeady gone so never got the full story but Bobby Joe was a Whitley legend and loved by everyone. Hell he is the principal at Whitley now. Same way with Brian. If Campbell ever did have a pick he was it. I just can't fathom how you could leave the school your two brothers were stars at.
Either way it doesn't matter now and everybody growed up to realize Whitley and Corbin football wasn't the end all.

But I am in 100% agreement with you on the playing. I don't care if Whitley wins none of the next 15 but the game should be played.
It's two good for both school and will resemble nothing like the South/Corbin series or the Whitley/Lynn camp series that should have never been played after 90.

Should be pretty exciting. I'm rooting for both. I'm Whitley to the core and always have been but I've got a little nephew playing for Corbin and will be cheering for him just as much. I just hope Whitley brings some extra bleachers over. The one thing i would like To See changed there is the visitors side bleachers running down the entire sideline. Your right on the field at Whitley and it's hard to miss anything. Good luck.
Single Wing 77 Wrote:The 2000 season goes to Corbin imho. That Glasgow team Corbin lost too in the semifinals was one of the fastest teams I ever saw. The 2001 season was probably a toss up. Both teams were as talented as any I ever saw in the tri county. I watched both play because I played at south that year. Both were VERY big VERY physical teams. I think it would have been a great game to watch. After that I transferred to Corbin. I have no doubt that Corbin would have won in 03, 04 would have depended on when we played in the season. We had a very cold streak early in the season because the injury bug plagued us. The Lawson's left Whitley because Campbell was a jerk. A LOT of players either quit or left Whitley because Campbell was a jerk and nobody wanted to play for him. The best thing that happened to Whitley county football was that Campbell left. After 04 I really don't know how it goes I'd say a coin flip most years and a couple years where Whitley would have won hands down and a couple years where Corbin would have won hands down. My guess at a series standing is 30-10 with ten years too close to call.

I have to agree with most of what you said :biggrin:
What a great match up to start the season for both teams. It will makes summer practice a lot easier when you have this for motivation. Both teams are gonna have a lot of new starters and newer coaches getting there systems put in. I give Corbin the edge but Whitley makes a game of it.....

Corbin by 7
I am just glad that Campbell, Jewell, the jealousy, animosity and all else bad are gone, and these kids are gonna put it on the field. There is NO loser here. Good for the community, good for the teams. Should be played every year!
The Spread Wrote:I am just glad that Campbell, Jewell, the jealousy, animosity and all else bad are gone, and these kids are gonna put it on the field. There is NO loser here. Good for the community, good for the teams. Should be played every year!

Go Colonels!
Putting on the finishing touches of summer.....

No matter what happens or what the team looks like, you have to feel good knowing Cotton Adams is still running the sleds daily....
[Image: https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hph...e=564E78FD]

I feel it only appropriate with this being the Corbin/Whitley thread to show Cotton as head coach of Corbin during practice back in 83....

[Image: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B21n6O8CYAArzNJ.jpg]

Two legends of the area. Cotton Adams and Dave Mitchell. Over a 100 years of coaching right there.....
(I feel bad for the kid in the center and left guard. Unless Cotton has found some softness in his heart, id imagine that technique got them some quality up downs)

[Image: https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hph...e=5635F9F8]

Colonel Stadium looking ready to go in the background...

[Image: https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hph...e=56490C3E]

[Image: https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hph...e=5647A181]
Hounds will just be too much for them..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Living The Dream!!
Ol Dave Mitchell!! Question is, is there any Defense in Chappell Land?
I thought that Cotton was up at Taylor County with Dudley these days?
HAROLD Wrote:I thought that Cotton was up at Taylor County with Dudley these days?

Nope, hes back home.
I think whitley will win this game. Corbin lost all of their playmakers on offense and its going to take some time for the new guys to gel. The colonels are at home and should win by a score of something like 27-21.
  •  Previous
  • 5(current)
  • Next