•  Previous
  • 5(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mayfield 28 Williamsburg 27 OT - 1A State Championship
Mayfieldsportsfan Wrote:Let me tell you some truth 64. My son was not LUCKY when he made that stop at the goal line. He was just that dang good. Don't you dare cheapen how he played by calling it luck just because you can't except that your team lost.

On a kick return a Mayfield player fumbles it directly into the hands of another Mayfield player...Skyler fumbles and recovers his own fumble...There is always a little luck or the bounce of the ball involved in any game...None the less there was a lot of great individual plays made on the field by both teams...
As a former Mayfield player and lifelong fan I want to congratulate the Williamsburg football team. They played a heck of a ball game and proved they belonged. They did win the statistical battle but came up one point short. For those people who are saying Mayfield was not as good reported dont let one game judge that team. They find a way to win just like they did today. They lost one game all year, to a 6A McCracken County team ranked 6th in the state and it was an overtime game. They won against a very good Williamsburg team who has nothing to hang their heads about. But don't sell MHS short.
Mayfieldsportsfan Wrote:Let me tell you some truth 64. My son was not LUCKY when he made that stop at the goal line. He was just that dang good. Don't you dare cheapen how he played by calling it luck just because you can't except that your team lost.

No matter what they say there will be a big 2014 on the wall when next august rolls around. Tell him i said thanks for him doing his part.
Again great job williamsburg. When a score is this close there is always the what ifs. I loved it when i realized mayfield had won, but hated it for yall.
Old_Jacket Wrote:I will say, I was a little worried when they broke the Wildcat out. I knew going into the game #4 was fast, and could score quick. I felt the Jackets hemmed Tyler and Bright very well. They'll be fun to watch next year.

Williamsburg was scary good. I really didn't see a weakness on that team. Our receivers got open because they ran good routes and our QB made the throws. The line was big but not fat big. They moved well. I think they would have beaten Beechwood fairly easy.

What some people forget is that Mayfield for the past 6 years has played in 15 games a year. That is 2 to 3 weeks extra practice that most teams don't get. It doesn't seem like much but those young players get reps against the starters and that helps them out greatly. It really adds up once they become seniors.

I do think that they need to toughen up their schedule. I think some tough games would help them in the mental part of the game. Not only the players but the coaches too. I think the more that you are challenged the better you will be.
Jordan Tyler is a senior. Trajon Bright will be back though and a whole host of other talent.
I assume you meant Williamsburg needed to toughen their schedule. I don't know if we could have handled it any tougher. We may have had more injuries. I would've like to have had the speed at receiver and cb that we missed in Colby Tucker since losing him in one of those tough games.
mysonis55 Wrote:I assume you meant Williamsburg needed to toughen their schedule. I don't know if we could have handled it any tougher. We may have had more injuries. I would've like to have had the speed at receiver and cb that we missed in Colby Tucker since losing him in one of those tough games.

Hell 55, you know I meant Williamsburg.
Just checking.
If ours gets any tougher we might be down to freshmen playing by playoffs.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Somebody needs to submit that Wburg catch to sportscenter for a top play nominee.
I don't have a twitter or I would.
Sine I'm the young one on here and probably the only one with a twitter... if someone can get me that catch ill send it in.
CS 17 it's on the Khsaa YouTube channel not sure how to link anything to here but if you could send it the kid would really be greatful. As far as the rest go it has been a pleasure to troll any thread about Williamsburg for the past two years and read 64 and 55 gripe like two 6 th graders. But hats off to Mayfield on the win We made a couple of mistakes and mayfield capitalized on them but that's what good teams do so congrats. But just like 64 tried to tell you all we where for real and you found that out just fall our way
I take the credit for teaching Tim McCampbell how to block a punt...
mayfield_9 Wrote:I thought the purpose of athletics was to mold young boys into men. So you condone breaking the rules?

I asked 64, after he made the statement that Williamsburg had 12 running clocks in 13 games; what happens in a tight game? When the pressure is on, how does your team respond?

We got the answer. Williamsburg was kicking field goals, or trying to, while Mayfield was scoring touchdowns. Mayfield had been there, done that, already. Mayfield had played from behind, and won many times during the year.

Williamsburg had talent to burn. Shelton and Lowrie made many outstanding catches in the game. Notice I said outstanding, not "lucky". But talent doesn't always win on the scoreboard.

The most talented teams don't always win. You have seconds, or split-seconds to react in a game. But football is a mental game too. There is a lot of time between plays, and on the sidelines, to think. Some players can block out the pressure, the adversity, and thrive. Some can't.

Golf has a famous saying: Drive for show, putt for dough. That describes this game. Williamsburg was fabulous between the 20's. But they couldn't finish. Mayfield's defense stopped them? Better coaching? Mentally ready? Able to handle the pressure? You decide.
I didn't realize you were such an arrogant @$$:flush:
[/QUOTE]
Granny Bear Wrote:I'm baaaaack.....
What a great weekend this was. I had a wonderful time!!!

Oh, I was screaming to the top of my lungs for them to do just that!!!

Me, too!

I though Mayfield was one of the best disciplined teams I have ever seen! Stayed poised and confident. Must have a great coach, I don't know him very well but his team speaks volumes for him.

Sometimes it's difficult to see a team give so much of their soul and end up having a lower score than their competition. The Burg lost this game after doing just this. In this loss, I hope life lessons can be learned that will help these kids along their journey. Great great game!!!

Awww, that's such a great story!! I'm sure Eli may have helped out a little, too.

Confusednicker:

I doubt it, but you're welcome to try!!

I believe I'm going to make this a tradition!! I saw four out of six games, and loved every one of them!! Some of the best skill and competition I've ever seen. Williamsburg played well enough to win, IMO, but sometimes things just happen....

So glad SUR's son is going to be okay!

I thought all of the mountain teams represented very well. I was proud ov every blessed one of them!!

So Monday, the kids start preparing for next year, and what a great year it will be!!!!
I do happen to know the best barbecue places if anybody is a barbecue lover like me,so you shouldn't doubt me Smile.if you get the chance go to Uno,KY and try Mama Lou's BBQ.
Jacket4Life Wrote:You are the one that started the smack talk! Everyone else on here was talking about a great game played by two teams of great players. There are things that happen in the pile that no one sees. They are a bunch of kids trying to fight for their team. I'm pretty sure that no one wants a player to break any rules. There were rules broken on both teams parts. Isn't that when they throw the flag? There were flags that could have been thrown on both teams yesterday that weren't so we could talk about that! I know this mom has spend the last 4 years hearing you say that we weren't worthy of being where we where. I think yesterday proved we did belong there. Both teams laid it all out on the field and gave their all. How about we congratulate both teams and remember what a heck of a game they played!!!

great post. I've watched a lot of games and the one I watched in Bowling Green yesterday was one of the best I've seen.so proud of the effort from the young men.they gave it all they had.

I got some news for you Mayfieldsportsfan I wasn't talking about your kid or anybody kids. Mrs.Mayfield_9 who was wanting to play flag football. Talking about twistering toe hold and pile playing on the carpet ( football surfaces ) Dang this was a great game. But Williamsburg was the better team in my eyes :CE_DP_Ste And I do except the lost. :truestory: Now to basketball give Williamsburg a call :phone::phone::phone: I can make this happen.
killbilly usmc Wrote:Again great job williamsburg. When a score is this close there is always the what ifs. I loved it when i realized mayfield had won, but hated it for yall.

:High5:
64SUR Wrote:I got some news for you Mayfieldsportsfan I wasn't talking about your kid or anybody kids. Mrs.Mayfield_9 who was wanting to play flag football. Talking about twistering toe hold and pile playing on the carpet ( football surfaces ) Dang this was a great game. But Williamsburg was the better team in my eyes :CE_DP_Ste And I do except the lost. :truestory: Now to basketball give Williamsburg a call :phone::phone::phone: I can make this happen.

Yeah you was when you started talking about luck. I don't get on here and trash talk like you and 55 but I will call you out when need be. We will agree to disagree with who the better team is. That is the main thing, you and I can still be civil.
Mayfieldsportsfan Wrote:Yeah you was when you started talking about luck. I don't get on here and trash talk like you and 55 but I will call you out when need be. We will agree to disagree with who the better team is. That is the main thing, you and I can still be civil.

:thanks: 55 talk out is :moon::moon: all year. :truestory:
64SUR Wrote::thanks: 55 talk out is :moon::moon: all year. :truestory:

You are going to pay for the bill that it will cost me to have the coke cleaned out of my laptop. I spit a mouth full out reading that post. :hilarious:
Mayfieldsportsfan Wrote:Williamsburg was scary good. I really didn't see a weakness on that team. Our receivers got open because they ran good routes and our QB made the throws. The line was big but not fat big. They moved well. I think they would have beaten Beechwood fairly easy.

What some people forget is that Mayfield for the past 6 years has played in 15 games a year. That is 2 to 3 weeks extra practice that most teams don't get. It doesn't seem like much but those young players get reps against the starters and that helps them out greatly. It really adds up once they become seniors.

I do think that they need to toughen up their schedule. I think some tough games would help them in the mental part of the game. Not only the players but the coaches too. I think the more that you are challenged the better you will be.

It was definitely a learning experience, but it's unfortunate that our players and coaches had to learn in this scenario. There is room to improve the schedule and I honestly don't believe the coaches knew two years prior that the teams we played this year would be as unsuccessful as posted. We have the opportunity to be very good in the near future, but not surrounded with this many athletes, so in a way the schedule helped in some ways and hurt in others.
Hell of a game really either team deserved the Title but only one can win and it took a OT to decide the winner and a missed PAT had to cost the game. The Burg has now earned respect through the state good luck to all seniors on both teams Hopefully see some of them on saturdays!!!
I cant decide if this one or the 1995 state championship against Beechwood was the best I ever watched.
Football fan 0 Wrote:Wow great game . Turnovers cost Williamsburg the game . Thanks Panter Nation for the play by play on the other thread .

The turnovers where costly, but The Jackets had 1st and goal from the 1/2 yard line and could not pick it up(had to settle for three). On another possession the Jackets had 1st and goal inside the 5 and had to settle for three.
Sound like an unbelievable game. Congrats to Mayfield.
mysonis55 Wrote:the sting will stick with the burg faithful for years. I wouldn't recommend making it worse. It happened but i don't think it effected the game. The players that had issues were probably just amped up or frustrated. Let's leave it at that. This was a great game, plz don't cheapen it.

you are absolutely correct.......this was one of the greatest high school games i have ever witnessed. People like mayfield 9 needs to keep mouth shut if he doesn't have something positive to say about the game. Its over.....mayfield found a way to win and everyone got to witness 2 heavyweights go at it for +4qtrs.....dont start crap that doesn't need to be started by either set of fans. Two great sets of kids playing with everything they had to win a state title. Leave it at that.
Congrats to Mayfield on yet another State Championship. Very fine program you have.

Congrats on a great season Williamsburg. You proved to the entire state and cupcake 55 that you belonged in this game.

This was one of the best high school football games I have ever seen.

To any poster who has been saying Mayfield wasn't as good as they thought, you don't know football. Mayfield proved throughout the year and in this game they are as good as advertised. Williamsburg was simply much better than most everyone thought and they proved it on the field in this game.
It took OT to beat a team that barely beat newport? This is a team ncc beat twice. Desales would have beat u guys 28-0. Depending on when u play them next year, enjoy ur trophy now while u can. U guys gonna be complaining like some of these other chumps out there about their numbers.
mayfield_9 Wrote:i thought the purpose of athletics was to mold young boys into men. So you condone breaking the rules?

I asked 64, after he made the statement that williamsburg had 12 running clocks in 13 games; what happens in a tight game? When the pressure is on, how does your team respond?

We got the answer. Williamsburg was kicking field goals, or trying to, while mayfield was scoring touchdowns. Mayfield had been there, done that, already. Mayfield had played from behind, and won many times during the year.

Williamsburg had talent to burn. Shelton and lowrie made many outstanding catches in the game. Notice i said outstanding, not "lucky". But talent doesn't always win on the scoreboard.

The most talented teams don't always win. You have seconds, or split-seconds to react in a game. But football is a mental game too. There is a lot of time between plays, and on the sidelines, to think. Some players can block out the pressure, the adversity, and thrive. Some can't.

Golf has a famous saying: Drive for show, putt for dough. That describes this game. Williamsburg was fabulous between the 20's. But they couldn't finish. Mayfield's defense stopped them? Better coaching? Mentally ready? Able to handle the pressure? You decide.

i can decide you may be the biggest punk on this site.......can you not leave things alone. You spend more time figuring out how williamsburg didn't win than you do celebrating your title. Grow up or take up bottle cap collecting.
  •  Previous
  • 5(current)
  • Next