•  Previous
  • 5(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russell 2014
Smith is out too btw
I hate that it's come to this.
FBALL Wrote:I hate that it's come to this.

Coach McGlone deserved to go out on his own terms. A class act and I'm proud to say I played for him.

Sometimes it's hard to define class in words, but you know it when you see it, and he's it.
Ivan is def a class act and that is not replaceable.
Wow.
Is this official?
Some sort if announcement supposed to be made today. It's been very tight lipped.
@DindependentQB: Coach Ivan McGlone will no longer lead Russell's football program, according to Russell Superintendent Sean Horne. More details to come.
Aaron Snyder just tweeted about it.. it's official
One of the best people I have ever known. I hope in some way they can keep him involved with the school and the football program he built.

God bless you Coach.
McGlone era over at Russell

Aaron Snyder
The Independent

FLATWOODS —

After 38 seasons, coach Ivan McGlone will no longer lead Russell High School's football program, according to a school press release.

The change took place on Tuesday, according to the release.

"We would like to think Coach McGlone for his unparalleled commitment to our football program, our schools, our children and our community," wrote Sean Horne, Superintendent of Russell Independent Schools. "Our District will remain committed to all of our students in providing both excellence in education and all athletic competitions."

McGlone was 316-151 since becoming the varsity head coach in 1976. He amassed 43 playoff wins and only five losing seasons, the last of which came in 1997.

The 75-year-old guided Russell to state titles in 1978 and 2005.

More details are to come on this story.
Russell with chance to make a big statement as to whether they are committed to having an elite football program. Will they go out of their way to meet the needs of a high profile coach or will they take whoever they can get for cheap... I don't know how important football is to the higher ups at Russell anymore. I guess we will see.
With this action taken they better make a great hire.
I don't see them bending over backwards for anybody.. But like I said, we will see how much football means to the Red Devils.
We will see how much it means to the administration. It means a lot to the community.
From a die hard Ams fan, who holds much distain for the Evils down the road(joking but seriously lol), I say I am sorry to those of the Russell community that feel like I do. I dont know exactly how it went down, but know for the most part, it wasn't his decision. After the man tried to resign 2 times in the last 5 years, they let him go in such a fashion as this. Really a crock. Good luck to Russell in replacing a legend. McGlone is class, loyalty, pride, and honor personified.
Allsports#1 Wrote:McGlone era over at Russell

Aaron Snyder
The Independent

FLATWOODS —

After 38 seasons, coach Ivan McGlone will no longer lead Russell High School's football program, according to a school press release.

The change took place on Tuesday, according to the release.

"We would like to think Coach McGlone for his unparalleled commitment to our football program, our schools, our children and our community," wrote Sean Horne, Superintendent of Russell Independent Schools. "Our District will remain committed to all of our students in providing both excellence in education and all athletic competitions."

McGlone was 316-151 since becoming the varsity head coach in 1976. He amassed 43 playoff wins and only five losing seasons, the last of which came in 1997.

The 75-year-old guided Russell to state titles in 1978 and 2005.

More details are to come on this story.

Coach McGlone ranks 7th in KY in all time coaching wins, and he is 2nd among active coaches.

Add in 4 seasons at Huntington WV, and his overall record is 42 years, 344-171-3.
Going to be interesting to see who Russell goes after
I think we all know who they should go after. Anybody else would be a poor choice.
I guess now the Maynard saga will begin. I can see why he would leave Raceland and go to Russell. It's his alma matre, Russell has good tallent, size, and speed coming in, his daughters go there.

I can see why Russell would want him. He is a very good defensive ball coach, likes his offenses spread out (both have been areas of common complaints by fans in recent years), he wins ball games and just recently got the big game monkey off his back.

I do not, however, think that he will leave. What he has done at Raceland, since becoming the head coach, has been great. Not just winning games, bit with building the program. Raceland's JFL was hardly mentioned, let alone worried about by the schools(because they are totally seperate), until Maynard took over. Running youth camps as well as being present almost ever saturday for atleast one game, has made a big difference in the feeder system. It makes the kids feel like they are apart of somethingbigger than just pee wee football. I would be suprised if he left Raceland. Especially with the season they just had, coupled with whats coming back and up through the feeder system, I think he will stay at Raceland. But like I mentioned before, I completely get why he would go to Russell and why Russell would want him.
Joey Cecil
Any substance to the Joey Cecil statement or just your opinion?
like I said in a post earlier I have been around this community and Russell football for a long time I hate it happen the way it did coach mcglone has had good teams over the years it going to be a little different on Friday nights not seeing coach mcglone on the sidelines he is a class act and a great coach I hate to be the one to try to feel those shoes
Where was Cecil at last?
He's still at Lawrence County.. Don't see that happening
Thats what I thought. I wasnt aware of him leaving or saying anything about leaving, so I was confused when I saw the name mentioned.
More money at Russell than Lawrence most likely. I'm sure he would listen if they show interest.
Not very familiar with the Russell program, but loved the trip we took up there this past season. The game day experience was awesome and clearly much of the tradition can be traced to Coach McGlone. Congratulations on a great career, coach!
Heard from a reliable source that Jim Matney has shown interest in the job.
I know most of today's conversation is about Coach and with good reason BUT I have to say this about all the WHINING I see on this and different sites about politics and playing time at Russell... Having coached there at the varsity level without any dogs in the fight I have to call BULL$hIT!!! STOP your whining and face the reality that your little Johnny or Susie just aren't that good if they aren't playing... I don't know of a coach over there who doesn't play the people who THEY believe give them the best chance to win night in and night out... I call this condition, Little League Parent Syndrome... Everybody believes their child is the next superstar and if they don't get the playing time they think they deserve it's because of politics... Varsity sports are NOT guaranteed play just because you're on the team... SHUT UP and GROW UP!!!

BTW, take a drive around area high schools and you'll see parents at EVERY practice... Drive by Paul Blazer... There are almost always chairs lining the upper parking lot overlooking their practice field during practice... It happens everywhere and TRUST ME, it doesn't affect playing time... You see it more at outdoor practices because it's an open area... Parents aren't at the indoor practices watching...
  •  Previous
  • 5(current)
  • Next