Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Johnson Central 35 Belfry 19
MiddlesboroAlumni Wrote:How would that even be an excuse? :what:

Why would you play the JV if you're losing? I don't understand. What am I missing here?

The JV went in a play or two after the last drive started. Belfry had already lost a couple of starters during the game and another got banged up and Haywood pulled the starters and put the JV in so no one else might get dinged. JC still had their starters in and drove down and pounded another TD in. To me it's not that big of a deal, but it would have been nice to see sportsmanship for sportsmanship. I am sure some of the young guys for JC would have liked to have been in such a historical game, but they did not get the chance. It should not take away from the game, because JC was the better team and that is all that mattered. Their O line was the big difference along with Varney getting hurt and taking away Belfry's quick-strike ability. BTW, regarding sportsmanship. Some of you may have read my post after the Belfry and JC game last year, and me talking to Matney after the game. Some Belfry fans won't talk to him, but I look at things differnet. I have never always agreed with everything Jim has done, but I look deeper than what you see on the surface and I will just leave it at that. This year, I walked over to their bench before the game and spoke to him for about 10 minutes, and I made it a point to walk on to the field and conratulated him and he hugged me after the game. I am not saying this to pat myself on the back, but rather to make the point that it's easy to seek someone out to talk to them when you win, but it says more about someone's character when you do the same after you lose.
bucslover68 Wrote:The JV went in a play or two after the last drive started. Belfry had already lost a couple of starters during the game and another got banged up and Haywood pulled the starters and put the JV in so no one else might get dinged. JC still had their starters in and drove down and pounded another TD in. To me it's not that big of a deal, but it would have been nice to see sportsmanship for sportsmanship. I am sure some of the young guys for JC would have liked to have been in such a historical game, but they did not get the chance. It should not take away from the game, because JC was the better team and that is all that mattered. Their O line was the big difference along with Varney getting hurt and taking away Belfry's quick-strike ability.

So the game was 28-19 when the starters for Belfry were pulled? I still am missing something. Was the game out of reach? 28-19 doesn't seem like an out-of-reach margin.
MiddlesboroAlumni Wrote:So the game was 28-19 when the starters for Belfry were pulled? I still am missing something. Was the game out of reach? 28-19 doesn't seem like an out-of-reach margin.

With only about 3 minutes left and JC with the football. Belfry had tried an onside kick and JC recovered.
bucslover68 Wrote:With only about 3 minutes left and JC with the football. Belfry had tried an onside kick and JC recovered.
This makes sense now, thanks for clearing that up.

Now I'm just wondering why this excuse was made?

phs1986 Wrote:the reason they possibly won by this much was JC's VARSITY scored on Belfry's JV... Freshmen and sophomores...
MiddlesboroAlumni Wrote:This makes sense now, thanks for clearing that up.

Now I'm just wondering why this excuse was made?
She wasn't making an excuse for getting beat, she was saying, I do believe i can speak for her even thought she will probably speak for herself in a minute lol, that the margin should have stayed at 28-19, instead of them going ahead for the final score against the JV. A knee at the 5 or 6 yard line, and a little more time to celebrate, would have made a bigger statement on the win IMO.
Really this horse is dead and doesn't need beat anymore. The score is what it is and the better team won.
First I hate that Varney got hurt and I hope for a quick recovery for him, and second I just dont feel he would have made that big of a difference it seems like when you guys played SC comments were made that them having there 3 starters suspended that ran the ball, and they also played a big roll on defense, not to mention the other 2 Moore and BJ, was injured shortly after that I dont care what team it is, here in the mountains you dont have that many on a team to step up and feel those type of positions. also I want to wish Belfry,SC,and JC the best in playoffs all three teams are here in the mountains so make us PROUD
The starters were pulled on the very next play after Lovern went down with a knee.
bucslover68 Wrote:She wasn't making an excuse for getting beat, she was saying, I do believe i can speak for her even thought she will probably speak for herself in a minute lol, that the margin should have stayed at 28-19, instead of them going ahead for the final score against the JV. A knee at the 5 or 6 yard line, and a little more time to celebrate, would have made a bigger statement on the win IMO.

Your correct bucslover... I wasn't making an excuse not at all... Just stating a fact that the last TD was scored on the JV.... and I do agree with you that it would have been nice to see some of those kids from JC who don't get any play time get a little in this game. It was MY son (who BTW is a barely 15 year old sophomore)who caught the final kickoff JC had to Belfry and he took a knee... Next play,at the snap, Belfry QB took a knee to end the game... They knew they weren't going to win so JV got in as bucs said if I'm not mistaken with about 3:37 left in the fourth. No excuses... Just stated a fact!! :biggrin:

If you need assistance feel free to e-mail me at:
[email=phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com]phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com[/email]
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Come on now PHS, dont go there. Your better than that. This whole thread has been full of nothing but class from all the Belfry fans. Please dont stoop to that stuff now. It's what makes you all a cut above the likes of say an Ashland or a Lawrence Co. fan. I think we have been very gracious and complimentary in victory as well. That was just uncalled for.

What happened was they just punched the last score in on some of the reserves. The drive and all the yardage gained was against the starters and that's what got them to that point. It wouldn't have mattered who was in the game at that point. We were racking up yardage @ 8-12 yards a crack against the VARSITY. Correct me if I am wrong.

You were not watching the same game as I then... I know for a FACT as my child is one of the ones who went in with a little over 3 minutes left to play and the yardage was NOT against the varsity........ I am NOT making an excuse and am NOT being classless as it may seem.... I just stated that yes, they did score another TD, BUT that TD was scored on the Belfry JV.... If you'd like I'll give you names, numbers, and grade level.... Yes, I'm above that and you'll find that I did congratulate JC earlier on in the thread... DARN... Just because I state a FACT about the game I'm classless??? I think NOT!

THE ROCK11 Wrote:First I hate that Varney got hurt and I hope for a quick recovery for him, and second I just dont feel he would have made that big of a difference it seems like when you guys played SC comments were made that them having there 3 starters suspended that ran the ball, and they also played a big roll on defense, not to mention the other 2 Moore and BJ, was injured shortly after that I dont care what team it is, here in the mountains you dont have that many on a team to step up and feel those type of positions. also I want to wish Belfry,SC,and JC the best in playoffs all three teams are here in the mountains so make us PROUD
I was just going to say something similar to this right before you posted. It seems like two weeks ago when SC lost two runningbacks/defensive starters, a wide rediever/defensive starter thrown out, it wouldntve made a difference in the outcome, let alone several hurt. But now that varney went down with an injury it wouldve changed the ball game.
Pink Flamingo Wrote:I was just going to say something similar to this right before you posted. It seems like two weeks ago when SC lost two runningbacks/defensive starters, a wide rediever/defensive starter thrown out, it wouldntve made a difference in the outcome, let alone several hurt. But now that varney went down with an injury it wouldve changed the ball game.

Varney wasn't the only player out/injured in this game... Bentley was out before the game started, Nate came out injured, Tom injured, Timmy injured, there are a couple more but I'll have to look back at the tape and see the sidelines to make sure and not post incorrect info... Don't know if this makes a difference to your guys argument but might seem to give you something more to discuss...

Mr.Kimball Wrote:Come on now PHS, dont go there. Your better than that. This whole thread has been full of nothing but class from all the Belfry fans. Please dont stoop to that stuff now. It's what makes you all a cut above the likes of say an Ashland or a Lawrence Co. fan. I think we have been very gracious and complimentary in victory as well. That was just uncalled for.

What happened was they just punched the last score in on some of the reserves. The drive and all the yardage gained was against the starters and that's what got them to that point. It wouldn't have mattered who was in the game at that point. We were racking up yardage @ 8-12 yards a crack against the VARSITY. Correct me if I am wrong.

Why only state two schools. You show me one school that does not have fans with no class. Every school has at least one bad apple, you should know that you guys have the apple festival. I couldn' resist.:Thumbs:
congrats JC on a good win.:Thumbs: best of luck in the playoffs. cant wait until next yearTongueirateSho
Would like to let all the pirate team know how much i have enjoyed friday nights. you guys have a whole lot to be proud of. hope you take the jc loss as a wake up call and get your mind set for what really counts now. Thomas will work hard and give it everything he can to get back. you guys can get thru the next couple weeks without him and hopefully he can get back to help bring home another state championship trophy for the showcase. best of luck TongueirateShoTongueirateShoTongueirateShoTongueirateShoTongueirateShoTongueirateShoTongueirateSho
CatDawg Wrote:Why only state two schools. You show me one school that does not have fans with no class. Every school has at least one bad apple, you should know that you guys have the apple festival. I couldn' resist.:Thumbs:

Yeah, but why is it some have a whole souring bushel of 'em? I guess you all do have dbcooper, though. Oh well, I guess I better go ahead and suck up and say CatDawg too. [I'll probably get Puffinated now].:biggrin:
Apple Festval! haha. Score one for CD. TongueirateSho
Mr.Kimball Wrote:I guess you all do have dbcooper. Oh well, I guess I better go ahead and suck up and say CatDawg too. [SIZE="3"](I'll probably get "Puffinated" over this):[/SIZE]biggrin:

Apple Festval! haha. Score one for CD. TongueirateSho

Kimball, you are up way too early. Oops, I am too. You should have eaten with us the other night. We took plates of food to the JC radio guys. I told them I expected them to return to the favor next year down in paintsville.:biggrin:
Pink Flamingo Wrote:I was just going to say something similar to this right before you posted. It seems like two weeks ago when SC lost two runningbacks/defensive starters, a wide rediever/defensive starter thrown out, it wouldntve made a difference in the outcome, let alone several hurt. But now that varney went down with an injury it wouldve changed the ball game.

It would have made a difference in the margin of the Belfry/SC game, not in the winner. In the Belfry/JC game, IMO, it would have made it closer, it was actually 28-19 until the last minute of the game when JC scored their final TD. Also, with all due respect to all those good SC players that were out, none of them is in the same ballpark with Thomas Varney.
bucslover68 Wrote:Kimball, you are up way too early. Oops, I am too. You should have eaten with us the other night. We took plates of food to the JC radio guys. I told them I expected them to return to the favor next year down in paintsville.:biggrin:
To be honest Buc, I woudn't have been able to keep it down. I just wasn't feeling very well. Still dont. That's why I'm up now.

I still appreciate the offer. We'll hook up next year for sure.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:To be honest Buc, I woudn't have been able to keep it down. I just wasn't feeling very well. Still dont. That's why I'm up now.

I still appreciate the offer. We'll hook up next year for sure.
I hope you feel better. You can gouge the needle to your Belfry workers for the next year. Good Luck to the Eagles in the playoffs.
phs1986 Wrote:You were not watching the same game as I then... I know for a FACT as my child is one of the ones who went in with a little over 3 minutes left to play and the yardage was NOT against the varsity........ I am NOT making an excuse and am NOT being classless as it may seem.... I just stated that yes, they did score another TD, BUT that TD was scored on the Belfry JV.... If you'd like I'll give you names, numbers, and grade level.... Yes, I'm above that and you'll find that I did congratulate JC earlier on in the thread... DARN... Just because I state a FACT about the game I'm classless??? I think NOT!
Then accept my apology. Apparently I just took it wrong.
bucslover68 Wrote:I hope you feel better. You can gouge the needle to your Belfry workers for the next year. Good Luck to the Eagles in the playoffs.

Yeah, well it's hard to stick the needle in much when your still down 25-1.:yikes:

Heck,they dont pay much attention to me anyways.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Yeah, well it's hard to stick the needle in much when your still down 25-1.:yikes:

Heck,they dont pay much attention to me anyways.

I appreciate the good banter back and forth. You always give credit for good, objective discussion (they have that on here), even if it does not square up with what you think. That is the way I try to be. I want people to give their opinions, but back them up with some insight or facts to make them stronger.
bucslover68 Wrote:I appreciate the good banter back and forth. You always give credit for good, objective discussion (they have that on here), even if it does not square up with what you think. That is the way I try to be. I want people to give their opinions, but back them up with some insight or facts to make them stronger.

Thank you very much Buc. Most take me waaayyy to serious. This is all just for fun. Your a good example of why you guys are a cut above the rest.

Get healthy and best of luck in the playoffs.
I will admit that with Varney playing Belfry was a much better and more dangerous football team. Without him they had little or no perimeter or option threat and were limited to the big fullback and passing.

Having said that I don't think the outcome would have changed. The better team won. The only team stopping JC's offense was JC. Belfry had no way to stop it and they run at will. I think the last drive we run the exact same play every time and Coach Haywood didn't become a legend by not seeing that. And lets remember it was only a 9 point game and crazy things can happen in a game with 2 great teams with great coaches.

I hope Varney heals quickly and you guys go all the way.
bucslover68 Wrote:It would have made a difference in the margin of the Belfry/SC game, not in the winner. In the Belfry/JC game, IMO, it would have made it closer, it was actually 28-19 until the last minute of the game when JC scored their final TD. Also, with all due respect to all those good SC players that were out, none of them is in the same ballpark with Thomas Varney.

bucslover to say theres not a player on SC thats not in the same ballpark as Thomas Varney is not even right i'd put Mikie Moore against him any day, seems like no one could even catch him on there first touchdown, he had a bad night on fumbles I grant you that, usually that doesnt happen with him but the main thing is they dont just rely on him the rest of the night, because out of the 3 that was suspended you dont know who's coming at you with the ball, not to metion they had a sophmore starter kristen skyles that is quicker than any 3 of them he was out with a broke foot but to say that they have no one that would be in the same ballpark is an understatment and to me.
Congrats to Coach Matney and this group of young men on a big win. Proud to say I was wrong in my pre game assertion of this one, frustration of losing 25 in a row was wearing on me lol. JC is appearing to get to that level we all expected from the start of the season, but a young squad mixed with a brutal schedule and key coaching absence would be hard for any team to overcome, but these young men kept believe and are now reaping the benefit of their hard work. Now on to Scott.
bucslover68 Wrote:It would have made a difference in the margin of the Belfry/SC game, not in the winner. In the Belfry/JC game, IMO, it would have made it closer, it was actually 28-19 until the last minute of the game when JC scored their final TD. Also, with all due respect to all those good SC players that were out, none of them is in the same ballpark with Thomas Varney.

How do you know that? That is pure speculation. What if Varney would have went out in the first? Would the margin of victory been larger? By the way KP is just as fast and strong as Varney but not as old. While i do admit Varney is probally better individually than SC's backs but not collectively. SC has 3 good running backs.
who does jc play first round?
Well the Sheldon Clark @ belfry rematch is shaping up to be game not to miss. Hope this one happens and everyone is healthy.