•  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's Wrong with Paintsville?
Kiffin Wrote:I think one of the main problems with the Paintsville football program is Bill Mike Runyon. I played ball for coach when he was an assistant for Brugh but I just don't think what he did was right to the program. He took the team that was loaded with talent just for personal gain and then quit for no reason. I think this lead to a chain of problems with the program because Paintsville was forced to hire Allen whom they really didn't want and then they ended up firing him. I just think Kinner will end up turning the program around if the school system will allow the time and allow him to get the right people around him.
You mean the "It's not about me" campaign slogan is all just a hoax?:Angry07:
I would like to clear some things up. As fas as academcis and competiton their is no one equal to JC in the state, just look at the banners. (This tradtion is also at the elementary and middle school.)

I case you have not looked around, the town of Paintsville is drying up everyday. The number of students and funding will effect all the programs, both sports and acedemics. Towns that have good Class A football teams, like Pikeville and Hazard, are larger and have a bigger student base to pick from. Given that the door to JC is closed and the declining condition of the town of Paintsville, I do not see any relief for the football program. Not trying to slam anything, these are just facts.
Gee whiz Blackcat Alum. here they go again.
MonsterMan Wrote:I case you have not looked around, the town of Paintsville is drying up everyday. The number of students and funding will effect all the programs, both sports and acedemics. Towns that have good Class A football teams, like Pikeville and Hazard, are larger and have a bigger student base to pick from. Given that the door to JC is closed and the declining condition of the town of Paintsville, I do not see any relief for the football program. Not trying to slam anything, these are just facts.

Hm I somewhat agree with this statement, it does seem as though Paintsville has been on a downward slope for the last few years, with the exception of the 05 season that is, and Paintsville does have a smaller student base to draw from than Pikeville or Hazard, but not by neough to make a huge difference in the amount of kids they could get on the field, so I dont think that is to blame, the talent is there at Paintsville im sure, its just not on the field, the coaches need to soften up the schedule, get a couple good wins for a season or two, and get kids interested in being a tiger again, and every Class A school has down years here and there, they'll bounce back sooner or later its just a matter of time, every small school has a good group of boys come along every couple years
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Tell you what. Perhaps we can swap out for a month or so. See if your as fuzzy nice as I am. Any of yours able to flash some of those college prep enhanced diplomas around? That would be a must. lol

I'm picking up sarcasm and a touch of conceit, but is there a point you're making ?

Mr.Kimball Wrote:Educated? Who me? Went to Central, remember.

Considering the obstacles that a county system has to overcome, it may be fair to say that they have perhaps, exceeded.

LOL... Don't bring out the self-deprecation for my sake. I know you're well educated and further, previously acknowledged Central is a good academic school (just not as good as Paintsville). It's the same difference as comparing UK to Transy - there's an innate advantage in being a smaller school.

Exceeded in spite of obstacles...maybe so. Like I said, Central is a fine school.

Mr.Kimball Wrote:Now.......

Academics not the culprit? Thanks for that confirmation..

Rest of the paragraph has merit.

I assume we are not going to acknowledge that the pipeline being shut down to a trickle has had no effect? None whatsoever?

I think we agree more than disagree here. The only difference may be in degree of cause and effect. I think the coaching changes, etc. effected the "pipeline being shut down", while I -think- you believe it had more to do with Central's asserting itself in athletics (hiring coaches, spending $$$ on facilities/equipment, etc.).

In other words, I think it was more Paintsville messing itself up than anything Central did. Fortunately for the Tigers, these kind of athletic problems can be corrected in time with coaching consistancy and parental/alumni/supporter patience (assuming I'm right, of course).
oneijoe Wrote:In other words, I think it was more Paintsville messing itself up than anything Central did. Fortunately for the Tigers, these kind of athletic problems can be corrected in time with coaching consistancy and parental/alumni/supporter patience (assuming I'm right, of course).

Agreed, Paintsville can get back on the right track no problem, but they are going to have to get the kids out to play, full support from the school,fans, and students to get it going again, Paintsville has such a rich tradition in sports its left a terrible taste in Paintsville supporters mouths as of lately and that can cause a real problem in support to the sports programs, so if everyone can get over the recent drop in athletics and get behind it again it'll be back to normal soon enough, but it will take time and lots of patience from everyone
oneijoe Wrote:I'm picking up sarcasm and a touch of conceit, but is there a point you're making ?

LOL... Don't bring out the self-deprecation for my sake. I know you're well educated and further, previously acknowledged Central is a good academic school (just not as good as Paintsville). It's the same difference as comparing UK to Transy - there's an innate advantage in being a smaller school.

Exceeded in spite of obstacles...maybe so. Like I said, Central is a fine school.

I think we agree more than disagree here. The only difference may be in degree of cause and effect. I think the coaching changes, etc. effected the "pipeline being shut down", while I -think- you believe it had more to do with Central's asserting itself in athletics (hiring coaches, spending $$$ on facilities/equipment, etc.).

In other words, I think it was more Paintsville messing itself up than anything Central did. Fortunately for the Tigers, these kind of athletic problems can be corrected in time with coaching consistancy and parental/alumni/supporter patience (assuming I'm right, of course).

Well, it looks like we are good to go ,and pals once again.

Ex abundancia cordis, os loquitor.:Thumbs:
"And the beat goes on". Any one get feeling you are on Topix?
Mr.Kimball Wrote:You mean the "It's not about me" campaign slogan is all just a hoax?:Angry07:

:thatsfunn And they said you're a villain on here.
Im a student at phs and one of my teachers (who previously taught at jc) said every meeting they had they talked about what the people across the creek (phs) were teaching if that tells u anything
oneijoe Wrote:LOL... Don't bring out the self-deprecation for my sake. I know you're well educated and further, previously acknowledged Central is a good academic school (just not as good as Paintsville). It's the same difference as comparing UK to Transy - there's an innate advantage in being a smaller school.
Thats the point i was trying to make paintsville is moving on the path of deemphasizing athletics. There was a time Back in the day, in which Transy dominated UK in athletics. Im not trying to use this as a direct comparison I Am just saying that an athlete will go to larger school with better facilities 90% of the time. is there anyone that will disagree with that.
i dont think its nothing at all there just not that good.
MonsterMan Wrote:I would like to clear some things up. As fas as academcis and competiton their is no one equal to JC in the state, just look at the banners. (This tradtion is also at the elementary and middle school.)

I case you have not looked around, the town of Paintsville is drying up everyday. The number of students and funding will effect all the programs, both sports and acedemics. Towns that have good Class A football teams, like Pikeville and Hazard, are larger and have a bigger student base to pick from. Given that the door to JC is closed and the declining condition of the town of Paintsville, I do not see any relief for the football program. Not trying to slam anything, these are just facts.

First off let me say, this is NOT an attempt to put down ANYONE. Now...

Those banners that everyone keeps talking about are for some outstanding TEAMS, that has some great kids and coaches on them. NOT a school as a whole. And those kids, coaches, school and community SHOULD be proud of those. Hats off to them ALL.
But, to say that they are on the same level as Pikeville and Paintsville just isn't so. It is very hard for a school the size of JC to compete with the small schools. Especially when you have that many kids and when a lot of them are sent to school by parents who really don't care. All they see is a way to just get their kids out of their hair for the day and could care less how they do in school.
And I am NOT saying that the teachers aren't doing a good job either. They have done a fine job by turning things around in the last decade.
But, the scores don't lie. JC has finished in the middle of the pack in the Region in almost every type of test the state has had to offer. Pikeville and Paintsville will ALWAYS lead the Region when it comes to these test.
I can say this also. I am VERY proud to say that I am from Paintsville/Johnson County as everyone else should be also. We have two outstanding schools that we should be VERY proud of in all aspects, be it sports or academics.

As far as what is wrong with Paintsville...

I am very PROUD my kids go to Paintsville wether they win or lose at any sport. They are in a down period right now, as every school in this area goes through. They WILL, and I say with confidence, WILL have great teams again in the future. And I also have to agree with what OTH said earlier. A wrestling program would help the football program in the long run. If they would get Coach Kinner or whoever it may be to be involved with it and get their players involved.

Good Luck this weekend and Go Tigers!
monster_energy Wrote:i dont think its nothing at all there just not that good.

I wouldn't say that. We could be better. But, JMO.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:...

Ex abundancia cordis, os loquitor.:Thumbs:

:lmao: Are we going to start again with the Latin thing ? :lmao:

I haven't figured which of us is Doc Holliday and which is Johnny Ringo...
oneijoe Wrote::lmao: Are we going to start again with the Latin thing ? :lmao:

I haven't figured which of us is Doc Holliday and which is Johnny Ringo...
[COLOR="Blue"]

It's just my little way of lettin you know it's comin straight from the heart[/COLOR].:roses:

Tell ya what Joe, I'm feelin mighty good today. Never let it be said that Kimball aint the olive branch offerin kind. I'll let you be the "Huckleberry" for once.:king:

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:Thats the point i was trying to make paintsville is moving on the path of deemphasizing athletics. There was a time Back in the day, in which Transy dominated UK in athletics. Im not trying to use this as a direct comparison I Am just saying that an athlete will go to larger school with better facilities 90% of the time. is there anyone that will disagree with that.

So you are saying that an athlete will go to UK to pass a class since it is so much easier there and the professors will not teach as much? :popcorn:
Ridge Runner Wrote:First off let me say, this is NOT an attempt to put down ANYONE. Now...

Those banners that everyone keeps talking about are for some outstanding TEAMS, that has some great kids and coaches on them. NOT a school as a whole. And those kids, coaches, school and community SHOULD be proud of those. Hats off to them ALL.
But, to say that they are on the same level as Pikeville and Paintsville just isn't so. It is very hard for a school the size of JC to compete with the small schools. Especially when you have that many kids and when a lot of them are sent to school by parents who really don't care. All they see is a way to just get their kids out of their hair for the day and could care less how they do in school.
And I am NOT saying that the teachers aren't doing a good job either. They have done a fine job by turning things around in the last decade.
But, the scores don't lie. JC has finished in the middle of the pack in the Region in almost every type of test the state has had to offer. Pikeville and Paintsville will ALWAYS lead the Region when it comes to these test.
I can say this also. I am VERY proud to say that I am from Paintsville/Johnson County as everyone else should be also. We have two outstanding schools that we should be VERY proud of in all aspects, be it sports or academics.

As far as what is wrong with Paintsville...

I am very PROUD my kids go to Paintsville wether they win or lose at any sport. They are in a down period right now, as every school in this area goes through. They WILL, and I say with confidence, WILL have great teams again in the future. And I also have to agree with what OTH said earlier. A wrestling program would help the football program in the long run. If they would get Coach Kinner or whoever it may be to be involved with it and get their players involved.

Good Luck this weekend and Go Tigers!

I think what is being said here is a kid could go to JC and have the opprutunity to excel in either academics or sports due to their size and funding. Paintsvillle and Pikeville do have more high income families and shouold score hogher, but the they can not compete with the best at JC, case closed.

This thread is about Paintsville football and not how much better their acadmeics are than another school. What is wrong with Paintsville Football is they do not have the talent and numbers to compete on the field. I find blaming this on acadmeics as funny.
MonsterMan Wrote:I think what is being said here is a kid could go to JC and have the opprutunity to excel in either academics or sports due to their size and funding. Paintsvillle and Pikeville do have more high income families and shouold score hogher, but the they can not compete with the best at JC, case closed.

This thread is about Paintsville football and not how much better their acadmeics are than another school. What is wrong with Paintsville Football is they do not have the talent and numbers to compete on the field. I find blaming this on acadmeics as funny.

That's exactly what is wrong. Paintsville have a couple of players who could start on any team in this area, but that's it.

As far as all this academic stuff goes. Some keep saying to look at all the banners at JC. I don't think some of you realize that Paintsville's smartest kids are athletes and cheerleaders who don't even do the whole academic team thing cause they don't have time. I know JC has some kids like that too.
Notre Dame Football…GO IRISH
This thread has made me think. I have thought about my college experience. I went to one the worst academic schools in the state....SC. I went to college with many kids from Painstville. They never seemed to have any advantages over me. They were not better prepared nor did they receive better grades. Makes me wonder if in the end it comes down to personal responsibility. Holding yourself to the standard. I will tell you I have recently seen people who were ranked higher than myself working at walmart and some who still don't have a job. Those of us who balanced sports and academics along with a high level of participation in clubs seem to be the most successful.
Matman Wrote:This thread has made me think. I have thought about my college experience. I went to one the worst academic schools in the state....SC. I went to college with many kids from Painstville. They never seemed to have any advantages over me. They were not better prepared nor did they receive better grades. Makes me wonder if in the end it comes down to personal responsibility. Holding yourself to the standard. I will tell you I have recently seen people who were ranked higher than myself working at walmart and some who still don't have a job. Those of us who balanced sports and academics along with a high level of participation in clubs seem to be the most successful.

AMEN!!!! This just became one of my favorite post on this site! :Thumbs:
Matman Wrote:This thread has made me think. I have thought about my college experience. I went to one the worst academic schools in the state....SC. I went to college with many kids from Painstville. They never seemed to have any advantages over me. They were not better prepared nor did they receive better grades. Makes me wonder if in the end it comes down to personal responsibility. Holding yourself to the standard. I will tell you I have recently seen people who were ranked higher than myself working at walmart and some who still don't have a job. Those of us who balanced sports and academics along with a high level of participation in clubs seem to be the most successful.

Exactly!!!:graduate:
JOHNSON CENTRAL #24 Wrote:Is it the coaching staff?
Lack of talent?
Parents- Boosters?
Or nothing at all ?

There has to be something wrong, this is not the typical Tiger team!!!:please:

I'll tell you for sure after reading the last two pages. Quite simply it's "drugs,sex and rock in roll". There is also pot holes, occupational taxes,restruant taxes and beer joints. Now how about the pigskin??????
Eagle Eye Wrote:So you are saying that an athlete will go to UK to pass a class since it is so much easier there and the professors will not teach as much? :popcorn:

No im saying that UK has a bigger school and much better facilities and alot more opportunities for athletes.
Eagle Eye Wrote::lmao::lmao::lmao: Call and ask them who their source is and then we will talk. All of that was garbage and they know it. They are one sided and that is why I will never buy a paper. They take jabs at our school system anytime they can even if it is true or not. The bottom line is that when I was in school Paintsville had the better sports programs and they had every advantage when they wanted one of JC's better athletes. Now we have great coaches in place and the better programs. Kids are staying put, bottom line.

http://www.kentucky.com/infocenter/story...argets_met
I don't think the lexington herald is biased against Johnson Central. They failed NCLB standards. This is free information look at any source and it will tell you the same thing.
I agree totally with Matman on this one. As a graduate of Paintsville High School there has always been a reputation that Paintsville is one of the better schools to prepare a child for college but honestly I don't feel that way. In high school I made great grades, scored a 28 on the ACT and moved on to college thinking I was at an advantage compared to some of my other classmates. I found out quick that was not the case. Never once did I have an AutoCAD class, a Physics course or even a Calculus class until I started my major. Depending on a child's aspirations going into college when graduating from Paintsville really determines whether or not they are ready for college. JC on the other hand has a really solid program that allows a child to choose what type of career path they are interested in and a curriculum to meet that student's needs. If a student wants to go into the medical field, become an engineer or a teacher they have a program that is valuable in enabling the student to get a some sort of concept of what they will see when they start college. That is one benefit that a large school like JC has over a small school similar to Paintsville. As a future parent when choosing a school for my children I will look for those things first instead of how good their athletic teams are. No matter how successful they may possibly be playing sports, if they don't have any knowledge about what they want to become after high school and are not prepared to take that next step in their life, I will feel that I have failed as a parent.
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:http://www.kentucky.com/infocenter/story...argets_met
I don't think the lexington herald is biased against Johnson Central. They failed NCLB standards. This is free information look at any source and it will tell you the same thing.

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize that our middle school scored that high!
Let's put it this way,who is going to start at superintendent for the ville against Harlan? Oh by the way education is a matter of individual endeavor. The end!!!!!!!!!
DALE Wrote:I agree totally with Matman on this one. As a graduate of Paintsville High School there has always been a reputation that Paintsville is one of the better schools to prepare a child for college but honestly I don't feel that way. In high school I made great grades, scored a 28 on the ACT and moved on to college thinking I was at an advantage compared to some of my other classmates. I found out quick that was not the case. Never once did I have an AutoCAD class, a Physics course or even a Calculus class until I started my major. Depending on a child's aspirations going into college when graduating from Paintsville really determines whether or not they are ready for college. JC on the other hand has a really solid program that allows a child to choose what type of career path they are interested in and a curriculum to meet that student's needs. If a student wants to go into the medical field, become an engineer or a teacher they have a program that is valuable in enabling the student to get a some sort of concept of what they will see when they start college. That is one benefit that a large school like JC has over a small school similar to Paintsville. As a future parent when choosing a school for my children I will look for those things first instead of how good their athletic teams are. No matter how successful they may possibly be playing sports, if they don't have any knowledge about what they want to become after high school and are not prepared to take that next step in their life, I will feel that I have failed as a parent.
Thank You!!!
DALE Wrote:I agree totally with Matman on this one. As a graduate of Paintsville High School there has always been a reputation that Paintsville is one of the better schools to prepare a child for college but honestly I don't feel that way. In high school I made great grades, scored a 28 on the ACT and moved on to college thinking I was at an advantage compared to some of my other classmates. I found out quick that was not the case. Never once did I have an AutoCAD class, a Physics course or even a Calculus class until I started my major. Depending on a child's aspirations going into college when graduating from Paintsville really determines whether or not they are ready for college. JC on the other hand has a really solid program that allows a child to choose what type of career path they are interested in and a curriculum to meet that student's needs. If a student wants to go into the medical field, become an engineer or a teacher they have a program that is valuable in enabling the student to get a some sort of concept of what they will see when they start college. That is one benefit that a large school like JC has over a small school similar to Paintsville. As a future parent when choosing a school for my children I will look for those things first instead of how good their athletic teams are. No matter how successful they may possibly be playing sports, if they don't have any knowledge about what they want to become after high school and are not prepared to take that next step in their life, I will feel that I have failed as a parent.

Great Post! Unless an economic miracle occurs in Paintsville, funding for the Paintsville school system will become difficult. This will effect all the programs, both academic and sports. Do not blame the kids or coaches, it is not their fault.
  •  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next