Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's Wrong with Paintsville?
Is it the coaching staff?
Lack of talent?
Parents- Boosters?
Or nothing at all ?

There has to be something wrong, this is not the typical Tiger team!!!:please:
JOHNSON CENTRAL #24 Wrote:Is it the coaching staff?
Lack of talent?
Parents- Boosters?
Or nothing at all ?

Coaching. stupid mistakes. We have the talent they just don't have the motivation.
Also i think truly Paintsville is startin to Deemphasize athletics. PHS is the best school in the mountains academically The CATS and ACT result for this year where unreal. i think Paintsville independent was 2 or 3 percentile points away from being the #1 district in the state this year. So i guess what im saying is that the tough curriculum is killing the athletics especially football. just my .02
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:Coaching. stupid mistakes. We have the talent they just don't have the motivation.

I don't think coaching is the current problem. I DO think all the coaching changes Paintsville has had over the past few yrs had a terrible effect on student participation in the Grade and Jr. High levels through that period. When parents/boosters don't stand behind the head coach for whatever reason (ie..."politics"), some of that indignancy rubs off on the children.

When coaches are changed frequently, there's little consistant guidance and encouragement in off-season conditioning and strengthening. This is magnified in its effect with Paintsville being such a small school.
Its hard for a small school that is so close to a larger one to attract the best players in the area. I remember when Paintsville was top in Johnson County. Like any other program that has had down years, it will bounce back it just takes alot of hard work.
For Paintsville to have a good team year in and year out they have to milk some talent out of the county school system. With the emergence of the sports program at Johnson Central it is more difficult for them to do that. Too many rich kids. They will bring your academics up but drag your sports program down.
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:Coaching. stupid mistakes. We have the talent they just don't have the motivation.
I dont think it is the Coaching at P-ville. He has only been there for 2 years and thats not enough time to put a system in at a school that was struggling before he got there. If p-ville supporters will get behind there coach and team and loose some of the negative attitudes things will turn around. I believe the real problem lies with the parents. There are a few that want there kids to be the star of the team instead of being apart of the team.
the problem is JC a huge school football program is good every year the tigers up an down years to be good every year those kis from JC who dont play or 3rd an 4th teamers need to become a tiger then you would stat becoming what you once was:thatsfunn
There has always been problem parents. It is just natural. And if academics are causing the trouble, then I wouldn't worry about it.
I dont see how academics could effect a football program. unless the players cant make the grades to play.
You know what the problem with Paintsville football is? Jim Matney. That's all there is to it. If you're good at football, why on Earth would you play at Paintsville when one of the states best coaches is just 2 miles down the road?
I think there are really several factors that are causing Paintsville to play the way they are. First, I think the main problem is with the coaching staff. I don't think a good game strategy is put into plan by the coaching staff. I feel like they don't know their opponent inside and out like they really should. Also, I feel like the coaching staff is on the buddy system and they really don't bring much to the Tigers. Coach Kinner if I'm not mistaken played defense on those good Georgetown teams but yet he doesn't control the defense. I think he should be in control of that before of offense but at the same time he would be the best choice for calling plays. Next, I think the BIGGEST downfall is the players attitudes and how they carry themselves. When I played in the late 80's and early 90's you had everyone wanting to come out to play football for the Tigers. I don't know these kids personally but it seems like they are so much softer these days then when I was there. From what I've heard you've had players get their little feelings hurt and quit the team because they think they're getting done wrong. I remember when kids would get fired up if they weren't playing where they wanted to and come bring it to practice every single day because they were going to take the next guys spot. That battle in practice is what made the team better in the long run and in most cases both kids that were battling for the position would end up playing. So I think the kids need to get a little bit tougher because talent only takes you so far. Are kids from Allen Central more talented than the Tigers? No, but they get tired of just being another game on a teams schedule and they want to be out there playing for their school. I just feel that if the kids would toughen up and put the nintendo down then it will make all the difference in the world.
Lack of talent?
Parents- Boosters?
Or nothing at all ?

Why being a JC fan would you even start this thread?
BCF4L Wrote:You know what the problem with Paintsville football is? Jim Matney. That's all there is to it. If you're good at football, why on Earth would you play at Paintsville when one of the states best coaches is just 2 miles down the road?
You have a point! but the tigers have had success with Matney there, just look at 2005! Also you would think that with as many kids that we have at JC some of them would get tired of siting the bench and go somewhere else.
AmazingFan Wrote:Why being a JC fan would you even start this thread?
First of all there is no more apple bowl and when these two teams arent playing against each other I like to see the other Johnson county team do well. We are all apart of the same communtiy!
As previously stated, I agree and think that most of the talent that would be at Paintsville is playing at JC, if paintsville could put together a good season or two I think it may encourage a few kids to decide to stay and play at paintsville instead of JC, but when your in HS playing football you want to win, no one likes to lose, and JC has been a consistently winning program for the last 4-5 years, so if I had to decide between PHS & JCHS I would go to JCHS, but if I didnt think I would start I would play at PHS, but thats jus my opinion, would love to see PHS playing like they use to though
Lack of talent?
Parents- Boosters?
Or nothing at all ?

One word, TALENT at the skill positions. Other than Doderer and Brown you have no skill players.
coach5050 Wrote:the problem is JC a huge school football program is good every year the tigers up an down years to be good every year those kis from JC who dont play or 3rd an 4th teamers need to become a tiger then you would stat becoming what you once was:thatsfunn

That made absolutely no sense at all. As rifle said, they are lacking talent in the skills position and just about everywhere else. One reason the talent in the skills area may have dropped off was due to the loss of Joe Chirico to Prestonsburg. That man knew the game like no one else and was fun to be around. Not only was he a valuable asset to the defensive side but to the offensive side as well.
JOHNSON CENTRAL #24 Wrote:You have a point! but the tigers have had success with Matney there, just look at 2005! Also you would think that with as many kids that we have at JC some of them would get tired of siting the bench and go somewhere else.

wow... for a JC fan you have only postd about P-ville...but I guess you can have as many user names as you want....Dont forget to throw out there about players quiting.....havnt heard that one in awhile....or the QB being a minnie van....:eyeroll:
Now What Wrote:wow... for a JC fan you have only postd about P-ville...but I guess you can have as many user names as you want....Dont forget to throw out there about players quiting.....havnt heard that one in awhile....or the QB being a minnie van....:eyeroll:

Sorry, BUT , I'm still here and that isn't me. I have just been keeping my mouth shut. I promised a friend that I would and I HAVE. So throw your accusations in other directions...ok.:beg:

Good Luck this weekend Tigers!

Wish I could be there....OTH said he was making a big pot of Deer Chili! His chili is Off The Hook! :worthy:
DALE Wrote:That made absolutely no sense at all. As rifle said, they are lacking talent in the skills position and just about everywhere else. One reason the talent in the skills area may have dropped off was due to the loss of Joe Chirico to Prestonsburg. That man knew the game like no one else and was fun to be around. Not only was he a valuable asset to the defensive side but to the offensive side as well.
Joe Chirico is a great coach good point bringing that one up. I agree 100%
oneijoe Wrote:I don't think coaching is the current problem. I DO think all the coaching changes Paintsville has had over the past few yrs had a terrible effect on student participation in the Grade and Jr. High levels through that period. When parents/boosters don't stand behind the head coach for whatever reason (ie..."politics"), some of that indignancy rubs off on the children.

When coaches are changed frequently, there's little consistant guidance and encouragement in off-season conditioning and strengthening. This is magnified in its effect with Paintsville being such a small school.

Totally agree.

As for the whole Jim Matney impact, sure there are parents who will take their kids to JC to play for him cause everyone loves a winner. But there are hardcore Paintsville parents that will stay true and to be honest, if a child is good at football, why not go to Paintsville and start ASAP and get immediate attention instead of falling in line at JC?
jammin' jamey Wrote:Totally agree.

As for the whole Jim Matney impact, sure there are parents who will take their kids to JC to play for him cause everyone loves a winner. But there are hardcore Paintsville parents that will stay true and to be honest, if a child is good at football, why not go to Paintsville and start ASAP and get immediate attention instead of falling in line at JC?

I dont think that is much of a factor to begin with. Paintsville kids have always for the most part stayed at Paintsville. JC kids that are staying at JC has been a huge blow to Paintsville's football proram IMO, however. Even the '05 Paintsville Regional Runner up squad had a bunch of JC kids that had transferred to the city school before Matney arrived. They of course then could not transfer back if they had wanted to, without sitting out for a year.
JOHNSON CENTRAL #24 Wrote:First of all there is no more apple bowl and when these two teams arent playing against each other I like to see the other Johnson county team do well. We are all apart of the same communtiy!
Exactly i love it when the two schools make our county proud. i was at the Ashland game cheering you guys on. and I see plenty of central kids at our games now.
Ridge Runner Wrote:Sorry, BUT , I'm still here and that isn't me. I have just been keeping my mouth shut. I promised a friend that I would and I HAVE. So throw your accusations in other directions...ok.:beg:

Good Luck this weekend Tigers!

Wish I could be there....OTH said he was making a big pot of Deer Chili! His chili is Off The Hook! :worthy:

Confusedhh:
coach5050 Wrote:the problem is JC a huge school football program is good every year the tigers up an down years to be good every year those kis from JC who dont play or 3rd an 4th teamers need to become a tiger then you would stat becoming what you once was:thatsfunn
I think you are right, Paintsville has lost some good players that have went to JC, and that has dropped their talent level, a small school that loses 2 or 3 kids, it really kills them, more than a larger school like JC, and it is harder to replace good players that leave, with players that don't have much experience, it's not about X's and O's, it's about Tommy and Joe's. :biggrin:
the watcher Wrote:As previously stated, I agree and think that most of the talent that would be at Paintsville is playing at JC, if paintsville could put together a good season or two I think it may encourage a few kids to decide to stay and play at paintsville instead of JC, but when your in HS playing football you want to win, no one likes to lose, and JC has been a consistently winning program for the last 4-5 years, so if I had to decide between PHS & JCHS I would go to JCHS, but if I didnt think I would start I would play at PHS, but thats jus my opinion, would love to see PHS playing like they use to though
The problem for Paintsville is not that kids are not staying in the district to play for the Tigers. The problem is that kids who live in the Johnson County district are no longer opting to play for Paintsville when they enter high school. I might have made the same decision back when Paintsville was able to compete with JC. Hiring Matney was a game changer.

There may still be a few players disgruntled over playing time who transfer to Paintsville, but Matney will try to put his best talent on the field and that has not always been true in the past at Johnson Central. Consequently, JC no longer loses enough good players to Paintsville for it to matter to the Eagles.

One thing that many Tiger fans failed to recognize about the glory days under Walter Brugh was that Coach Brugh worked tirelessly to recruit players within the Paintsville system to play football. Anybody who attended Paintsville Elementary when he coached knows what I am talking about.

Brugh made not playing football uncomfortable for you if you attended Paintsville because he would personally tell you what a fine football player you would make and he would personally invite you to spring practice when you entered high school. If you were an athlete at Paintsville, you almost certainly ended up playing football for Coach Brugh. Walter Brugh was part coach and part football ambassador and that is an important part of the job, especially at a school with a small enrollment.
I beleive that if paintsville had just some of centrals 3rd and 4th stringers that it would make a big difference!!!
Mr.Kimball Wrote:I dont think that is much of a factor to begin with. Paintsville kids have always for the most part stayed at Paintsville. JC kids that are staying at JC has been a huge blow to Paintsville's football proram IMO, however. Even the '05 Paintsville Regional Runner up squad had a bunch of JC kids that had transferred to the city school before Matney arrived. They of course then could not transfer back if they had wanted to, without sitting out for a year.

If memory serves me correct, I think there were four players on that team that were from outside the city school district. Wes Ward came to Paintsville his sophomore year I think, with Matt Blevins, H. Doderer and Subby enrolling their freshman year.
Something has got to be done with the Paintsville Football Team. I don't know where the problem is, but it is up to the Administration to find out what it is and then fix this problem. If something is not done quickly, they will start to lose kids that love football. That will trickle down and affect the entire sports program and the school as a whole. Maybe it is lack of talent, or the coaching staff or some other factor. I don't know what it is, but something must be done.:please:
  • 1(current)
  • Next