•  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pikeville's Devan Adams to Shelby Valley
UKRULES Wrote:This was Deven's father earlier in another thread::

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Deven has been going to Shelby Valleys open gym. He likes the players there. It is just open gym. Nothing to worry about and most certainly nothing to have a whole thread about.

Wonder if things have changed??? There are those things that make you go hmmmmmmm........

BlueSky Wrote:Maybe not so honest with himself or others???????

Has it ever crossed you mind that when the post was made by UKRULES, maybe there wasnt a decision made at that time?

BballFan25 Wrote:Well, I think it wouldn't benefit Adams much or Valley much for him to go there. I think this would be kind of like Shaq was in Phoenix this year. They are a running team that wins because they just out hustle teams and run fast breaks, so tell me how Adams would fit in to that. He wasn't that affective in a slow down game, I don't see him even being the slightest bit affective when its run 'n gun. I hope I'm wrong because I would like to see Valley go to state and do good down there, but I think they'll be just as good without him. The one thing he can bring to Valley is shot blocking, but they are already so great at defense, I don't think it would be worth having him out there because he would slow them down. But good luck to Devan and whatever he does decides to do.
I think he did a pretty good job of running with them the last couple days.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It is the size of the fight in the dog.
BballFan25 Wrote:Well, I think it wouldn't benefit Adams much or Valley much for him to go there. I think this would be kind of like Shaq was in Phoenix this year. They are a running team that wins because they just out hustle teams and run fast breaks, so tell me how Adams would fit in to that. He wasn't that affective in a slow down game, I don't see him even being the slightest bit affective when its run 'n gun. I hope I'm wrong because I would like to see Valley go to state and do good down there, but I think they'll be just as good without him. The one thing he can bring to Valley is shot blocking, but they are already so great at defense, I don't think it would be worth having him out there because he would slow them down. But good luck to Devan and whatever he does decides to do.

Shelby Valley can run and gun. But in the big games they play smart basketball with many set plays. Devan and Shelby Valley will benefit when they play teams down state.

My guess is that Coach Booher will know how to use Devan...something Pikeville could never figure out...
Is it that Pikeville never figured it out OR the players wouldn't execute what they were coached to???
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:Has it ever crossed you mind that when the post was made by UKRULES, maybe there wasnt a decision made at that time?

I think he did a pretty good job of running with them the last couple days.

I must say that you have handled all of the unwarranted criticism that has been on here with a lot of class. I dont know you or your son, but if he is half as classy as you have been (again by what I read here), then you have a very fine son. It would be hard for any of us to stand back and let someone critsize one of our own sons, and not retort back.
According to the ones at Shelby Valley the decision was made a long time ago. Its just part of lessons of life. Sometimes people shown great interest in others, work very hard for them, and then when it is time they to really collect the benefits they let someone share in them..... Doing the right thing is not an option in our society anymore. We have had same problem in 14th...
It is strange that all we heard was how good SV is going to be before Devin. They would run away with region and be the best team in the mountains, and compete down state. And now all I am hearing is what a difference he is going to make, and now SV will really be good. When it is all said and done, it will be the intangibles the kids learn that will matter. Coachs will win with talent and lose without. They can help make a great a little less great, and a poor team a little better. But what a great opportunity they have to teach so much else. May we all encourage them to do this. From here to there good luck to all.....
If...Then Wrote:Coach Williams said at our practices that he was a tough loss down low but its not like college where u can make a phone call and say "hey we need a center here at PHS, why dont you come and play" but that we will have to work with what we got.

I think Pikeville is almost all speedy guards. So if Shelby Valley has 4 quick strong players, then Pikevilles 5th on Devan will haved to out hustle him to get the boards and score some points for PHS

Bart Williams always has something up his sleeves-
Let's face it, next year Pikeville will be a run and gun, pressing, three-point shooting, transition basketball team. So if Deven is playing, he will have to be guarding a guard. So Valley would have to go zone with him in the game, something not to do against good shooting teams. As for SV on offense, We will just have to double down and use our quickness to steal the ball or knock it loose. Pikeville should have decent depth with Evans (who could make a huge impact this year). So fouls can be spread around and shouldn't be a big issue. Either way both Parties are probably better with the move.
He probably not fit in at Hazard, but I do not believe we would turn him down.. It is hard to teach 6'10"....... About the coaches at Pikeville not using him right, I find that pretty hard to believe when I saw there stats last year. I do remember from friends in Floyd talking about how much this kid had improved. As I continue to say, our coaches in the mountains do a good job with these kids. I am sure the best they can. Unless we are right there for each and every pratice and game, there is no way we can make a sound judgement. Just thankful I do not coach.....
Mr.Kimball Wrote:I must say that you have handled all of the unwarranted criticism that has been on here with a lot of class. I dont know you or your son, but if he is half as classy as you have been (again by what I read here), then you have a very fine son. It would be hard for any of us to stand back and let someone critsize one of our own sons, and not retort back.

Smile And that's all I've got to say about that. Pikeville's coaching staff did a great job with this kid and they are the ones who have handled this situation with class.

One more thing people won't like, and then I am out...
Trading a Pikeville education and diploma for a better chance to play a game or two at Rupp Arena will look incredibly stupid two years from now.

That's all, I'm out.Big Grin
jetpilot, I believe you broke the sound barrier with that.... And from where I am flying I understand.
jetpilot Wrote:Smile And that's all I've got to say about that. Pikeville's coaching staff did a great job with this kid and they are the ones who have handled this situation with class.

Trading a Pikeville education and diploma for a better chance to play a game or two at Rupp Arena will look incredibly stupid two years from now.

:thumpsup:
I feel sorry for this kid. He has taken so much flack from people on here, who hardly anything about what's really going on. Shelby Valley will find ways to use him. You have to when you have someone that big. Pikeville will be hurting without him, but that's life, and things like this happen. I went to high school with a kid who went to 3 different high schools in 4 years because his dad couldn't get along with any of the coaches, and somehow he was eligible every year, but he took a lot of flack from his community as well, and no one ever looked at him the same. It is a shame that this kid isn't going to be able to make a smooth transfer without everyone voicing their opinion on the negative side of it. The Pikeville faithful will say he wasn't that good anyway, he'll never play for them, and what a terrible person he is for leaving, but I bet you a million to one that if he decided to come back they would welcome him with open arms. However, at this point, and from what all has been said, if I were him I wouldn't dare go back. I wish him all the luck in the world because he is certainly going to be scrutinized for every little thing.
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:I feel sorry for this kid. He has taken so much flack from people on here, who hardly anything about what's really going on. Shelby Valley will find ways to use him. You have to when you have someone that big. Pikeville will be hurting without him, but that's life, and things like this happen. I went to high school with a kid who went to 3 different high schools in 4 years because his dad couldn't get along with any of the coaches, and somehow he was eligible every year, but he took a lot of flack from his community as well, and no one ever looked at him the same. It is a shame that this kid isn't going to be able to make a smooth transfer without everyone voicing their opinion on the negative side of it. The Pikeville faithful will say he wasn't that good anyway, he'll never play for them, and what a terrible person he is for leaving, but I bet you a million to one that if he decided to come back they would welcome him with open arms. However, at this point, and from what all has been said, if I were him I wouldn't dare go back. I wish him all the luck in the world because he is certainly going to be scrutinized for every little thing.

Thank you for this post. I think this is a funny thread to read. All these people talking about things the KNOW but it is only something they have heard from someone else or read on here. I wouldnt care to bet that half the people on here that post about stuff they KNOW have not ever even talked to him or me about it. But they still know every reason why or how or when everything happens.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It is the size of the fight in the dog.
Panther Thunder Wrote:Let's face it, next year Pikeville will be a run and gun, pressing, three-point shooting, transition basketball team. So if Deven is playing, he will have to be guarding a guard. So Valley would have to go zone with him in the game, something not to do against good shooting teams. As for SV on offense, We will just have to double down and use our quickness to steal the ball or knock it loose. Pikeville should have decent depth with Evans (who could make a huge impact this year). So fouls can be spread around and shouldn't be a big issue. Either way both Parties are probably better with the move.

you cannot honestly say that pikeville is better off with the move, it will be another disappointing for the panthers
Panther Thunder Wrote:Let's face it, next year Pikeville will be a run and gun, pressing, three-point shooting, transition basketball team. So if Deven is playing, he will have to be guarding a guard. So Valley would have to go zone with him in the game, something not to do against good shooting teams. As for SV on offense, We will just have to double down and use our quickness to steal the ball or knock it loose. Pikeville should have decent depth with Evans (who could make a huge impact this year). So fouls can be spread around and shouldn't be a big issue. Either way both Parties are probably better with the move.

You gotta have good shooters to be a 3 pt shooting team. Pikeville has none. Most teams played zone this year against them, so i see the same for next year. If you are trying to say that losing devan won't hurt pikeville, your crazy. If he is worked with, and can fit into Valley's system, i see him getting a good scholarship and helping Valley alot. I just hope that happens. But devan was very important to pikeville and without him they wouldn't have been half as good as they were last year. Even though his stats might not have been great every game, he intimidated other teams and other teams had to adjust to his height. Without him, everyone will just collapse on Matt Clevenger and that kills pikeville. So good luck Devan in whatever you decide to do.
BballFan25 Wrote:You gotta have good shooters to be a 3 pt shooting team. Pikeville has none. Most teams played zone this year against them, so i see the same for next year. If you are trying to say that losing devan won't hurt pikeville, your crazy. If he is worked with, and can fit into Valley's system, i see him getting a good scholarship and helping Valley alot. I just hope that happens. But devan was very important to pikeville and without him they wouldn't have been half as good as they were last year. Even though his stats might not have been great every game, he intimidated other teams and other teams had to adjust to his height. Without him, everyone will just collapse on Matt Clevenger and that kills pikeville. So good luck Devan in whatever you decide to do.

Great post. Pikeville was only going to be a fair team at best next year with Adams.
Without him it will be a long year. But pikeville fans need to leave the kid alone and not blame him for his decision to play somewhere else. If it's not going to hurt you with him leaving then why make all the negative comments. Good luck Devan and I for one hope you have a fantastic senior season where ever you decide to play.
Capt. DH Wrote:My opinion is that he is leaving because he wants to make it out of district and have a chance to win region and go to state. That will never happen at Pikeville in basketball. I would leave Pikeville to play basketball at SV too. It also happens that some of you didn't read his fathers post about family reasons being why they moved. But he never said if his son was going to transfer. Nobody knows that for sure except for him and his family. SV would be stacked next year if he goes and I believe he would get more playing time than some wildcats may want. From a basketball standpoint Pikeville will never be SV and from a football standpoint SV will never be Pikeville. The coaching and the kids just aren't there at Pikeville for them to succeed in basketball. I know people say that DPM is a good coach, and he may be, but I do not know one basketball player at Pikeville that likes him. That being the case, good luck getting those kids to go all out for you. My last point is to Devan and his family, good luck at whatever you decide to do!

Comparing Football and the perception of success in that sport to success in basketball is like comparing apples to oranges. It is much more difficult to win a regional basketball championship than a regional football championship in most any year.
As for coaching, Pikeville's Basketball coaches have plenty of skills, wins, knowledge, state tournament experience etc to win at this level. Talk with people who really know the game. Some people like to make wild statements when they really have no clue or maybe they have a slight clue and have an agenda that includes destroying basketball altogether at PHS. Why else would you try and blames Adams leaving on the coaches. Sad
I have read this pretty close and to be honest Adams is making a good move. He will get to play one on one in the post because of SV's perimeter, he will be soon by college coaches due to schedule and he will be a big impact on both ends. Too many young people on here play the blame game when in reality it is his decision. Good luck Devan and hang tough. P.S. A diploma is the same at all schools, colleges do not turn you down if it does not say Pikeville on it. Trust me on this one.
SpyDa Wrote:Comparing Football and the perception of success in that sport to success in basketball is like comparing apples to oranges. It is much more difficult to win a regional basketball championship than a regional football championship in most any year.
As for coaching, Pikeville's Basketball coaches have plenty of skills, wins, knowledge, state tournament experience etc to win at this level. Talk with people who really know the game. Some people like to make wild statements when they really have no clue or maybe they have a slight clue and have an agenda that includes destroying basketball altogether at PHS. Why else would you try and blames Adams leaving on the coaches. Sad

Regardless of what sport you are talking about Pikeville had a down year all together. Football went 9-4 with a very mediocre schedule. Those wins came against very weak opponents, and the quality teams they did play beat them very easily. Basketball had a mediocre year as well. It was Paintsville and Shelby Valley's year in that sport. Baseball was a failure as well. Pikeville use to own the 15th region in baseball and now they struggle even winning the district tournament. They were 19-12, and that was playing one of the weakest schedules in the region. The got smoked in the first round of the regional tournament. Not too mention they went into the regional tournament as a loser. It has been a very down year for the boys sports at Pikeville, and it may be a few years before they are able to even come close to building anything back up. I honestly do not blame any kid that wants to transfer to a school that can win, and I don't think anyone should knock him for doing so.
Well now this is the bash Pikeville thread. But once again what ever happened to Loyalty? What happened to Pride? If it comes down to being all about winning anywhere else, and losing at Pikeville, I'll take the latter everyday for the rest of my life.
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:Regardless of what sport you are talking about Pikeville had a down year all together. Football went 9-4 with a very mediocre schedule. Those wins came against very weak opponents, and the quality teams they did play beat them very easily. Basketball had a mediocre year as well. It was Paintsville and Shelby Valley's year in that sport. Baseball was a failure as well. Pikeville use to own the 15th region in baseball and now they struggle even winning the district tournament. They were 19-12, and that was playing one of the weakest schedules in the region. The got smoked in the first round of the regional tournament. Not too mention they went into the regional tournament as a loser. It has been a very down year for the boys sports at Pikeville, and it may be a few years before they are able to even come close to building anything back up. I honestly do not blame any kid that wants to transfer to a school that can win, and I don't think anyone should knock him for doing so.
That's a ignorant statement. You can't help the district, but non-district was a traditional power schedule.
Panther Thunder Wrote:Well now this is the bash Pikeville thread. But once again what ever happened to Loyalty? What happened to Pride? If it comes down to being all about winning anywhere else, and losing at Pikeville, I'll take the latter everyday for the rest of my life.

I guess you don't have any other choices, so just because Adams has skills then don't blame him for taking advantage of them and playing somewhere else. College isn't free by no means so if he can better his chances to get a free scholarship then I say go for it. When he graduates he has to worry about his future not the future of the high school he just left. If anyone in his shoes were honest about their choices of just playing for loyalty sake or having a much better chance to go to play in the state tournament they would have to choose the latter. Remember he is not the only kid to have ever transfered from one high school team to another. Again good luck Devan.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:I must say that you have handled all of the unwarranted criticism that has been on here with a lot of class. I dont know you or your son, but if he is half as classy as you have been (again by what I read here), then you have a very fine son. It would be hard for any of us to stand back and let someone critsize one of our own sons, and not retort back.

I was just getting ready to say the same thing, but you already did it. Great post. :Clap:
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
new o Wrote:P.S. A diploma is the same at all schools, colleges do not turn you down if it does not say Pikeville on it. Trust me on this one.

You might have trouble convincing some people on here of that, but thanks for saying what needed to be said. My H.S. diploma didn't say Pikeville either, and I believe I have done pretty well for myself.

Now please, let this be the end of comparing which school has better academics. If you want to discuss class offerings or test scores, create a new thread in the off-topic forum. But, if you want to discuss how this potential transfer might affect each team next year, then by all means post on this thread.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:Regardless of what sport you are talking about Pikeville had a down year all together. Football went 9-4 with a very mediocre schedule. Those wins came against very weak opponents, and the quality teams they did play beat them very easily. Basketball had a mediocre year as well. It was Paintsville and Shelby Valley's year in that sport. Baseball was a failure as well. Pikeville use to own the 15th region in baseball and now they struggle even winning the district tournament. They were 19-12, and that was playing one of the weakest schedules in the region. The got smoked in the first round of the regional tournament. Not too mention they went into the regional tournament as a loser. It has been a very down year for the boys sports at Pikeville, and it may be a few years before they are able to even come close to building anything back up. I honestly do not blame any kid that wants to transfer to a school that can win, and I don't think anyone should knock him for doing so.

Excuse me, but i do believe everyone that Pikeville lost to went to the state championship in their own class (ecxpet P-burg who went to the semi's I THINK)...how can you say anything when they only lost to the eventual 4-A state champion, 3-A state runner up (undefeted until state championship game), 2-A semifinalist, and the 1-A state runner up, so dont you dare critizie their non district schedule and them losing to those quality teams.
jetpilot Wrote:Smile And that's all I've got to say about that. Pikeville's coaching staff did a great job with this kid and they are the ones who have handled this situation with class.

And its quotes like this that turn it into a Pikeville bashing thread. Devin can get a good education any where he wants to go in our county. Its just the ******** comments like these that **** people off.

Most kids would kill to play sports at a school that does this:
Football 9-4
Basketball 16-12
Baseball 19-12
....and you call it "mediocre". Sure it wasn't a great year for Pikeville, but how about you post the records of any other school from the 15th region and compare them to these numbers. I would say it is hard to find better records in all 3 sports and remember the Panthers were "down" this year!
Panther Thunder Wrote:Well now this is the bash Pikeville thread. But once again what ever happened to Loyalty? What happened to Pride? If it comes down to being all about winning anywhere else, and losing at Pikeville, I'll take the latter everyday for the rest of my life.
As far as basketball is concerned I think the "Pride Factor" would weigh more heavily in Shelby Valley's court. Other than in the Chase Gibson years, Pikeville has not been much in basketball for the last 20-25 years. If Adams went to Pikeville all 4 years, do you really think that the first year after he graduated that any person associated with the Pikeville school system would give a crap either way about him? Loyalty from any school system ususally involves a "What are you doing for me now" mentality. Kudos for the Adams family for doing what they think is best for their son. They have done nothing to damage the Pikeville basketball program. I'm sure he put it all on the line 100% every day in practice and in the games since he has been there. If that is the case then whatever debt that was owed Pikeville for their sweat and tears was repaid in full. He owes them nothing.
Perhaps Devon has the same say so in where he goes to school, much in the same manner that you do yourself. Which looks like it is none. I do believe that you are enrolled in one of the other local PHS schools yourself that is not geographicly located in Pike County if I am not mistaken. Where's your own loyalty and pride?
bball fan Wrote:Most kids would kill to play sports at a school that does this:
Football 9-4
Basketball 16-12
Baseball 19-12
....and you call it "mediocre". Sure it wasn't a great year for Pikeville, but how about you post the records of any other school from the 15th region and compare them to these numbers. I would say it is hard to find better records in all 3 sports and remember the Panthers were "down" this year!
Right off the top of my head I can think of Belfry and Johnson Central that has them outclassed if you want to talk about all 3 sports.
  •  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next