Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Russell
18.92%
Belfry
81.08%
* You voted for this item.

•  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russell @ Belfry 11/28(State Semi-final)
skully03 Wrote:05' was a good game between the two up at RUSSELLs place. Close one that came down to the wire. Great atmosphere too.

Froze my kabooty off that night. No heat in the press box and Belfry stunk up the first half. Actually, Russell played lights out in the first half and should have led by 4 scores instead of 3, save for a great defensive play by Belfry's Matt Maynard. Belfry dominated the second half, but came up short by a score.
bucslover68 Wrote:How about a little Belfry and Russell talk. First game I saw these two play was 77 or 78. I remember 78 vividly as the Pirates lost a close one in controversial style 7-6. Russell went on to win the state that year and in 79 it was Belfry 6-0 at Belfry. These two teams need to play IMO no doubt and I believe they will meet up in the playoffs in the next few years.
I agree 100%. I believe Belfry makes Russell better. In '04 Russell got an up close and personal look at what it takes to be a champion. I think that loss helped propel the Devils to their own title in '05. You guys are a great measuring stick.
Lynch47 Wrote:Belfry doesn't have a weakness that you can continually key on to be successful. A breakdown here or there but nothing that can give an outright edge. Russell needs to be disciplined and tackle.
Big question with Belfry is as always is can they throw if need be? Belfry usually doesn't have to and even in normal passing situations the Pirates can usually pick up first downs on the ground. Limiting Belfry to very few yards on first and second downs could be key for Russell. The only problem most teams have is limiting Belfry on the ground. I will say one thing, and I know this is not relative to this game, but the Russell win at Belfry,19-0 I believe in 2006, was the most dominant a team has been against Belfry in recent memory as far as just shutting down their running game.
I wasn't at that game in '06, but I listened on the radio. I kept waiting for the Pirates to come roaring back like they did in '05, but it never happened. That Russell team was great. It would be awesome to see the Devils get back on Belfry's level again... such a great rivalry when both programs are up.
19-0 was the score in 06. The most recent between the two was in 2010 and the pirates took that one handily with a score of 42-14.
Pirates 46-14
skully03 Wrote:19-0 was the score in 06. The most recent between the two was in 2010 and the pirates took that one handily with a score of 42-14.
You guys cleaned our clock another year too... '08 maybe? It's incredible how much consistency the Pirates have displayed over the last 10 to 12 years. Legendary coach, classy fans, and a top notch program... NOW, having said that, I hope the Devils go down there and kick some butt... lol. In all seriousness I admire Belfry and hope they bring out the best in Russell.
samson81 Wrote:You guys cleaned our clock another year too... '08 maybe? It's incredible how much consistency the Pirates have displayed over the last 10 to 12 years. Legendary coach, classy fans, and a top notch program... NOW, having said that, I hope the Devils go down there and kick some butt... lol. In all seriousness I admire Belfry and hope they bring out the best in Russell.
You are correct. The score in 2008 was 42-0.
Belfry should win this game but it will be a close game I'm going to say 21-12
bucslover68 Wrote:Froze my kabooty off that night. No heat in the press box and Belfry stunk up the first half. Actually, Russell played lights out in the first half and should have led by 4 scores instead of 3, save for a great defensive play by Belfry's Matt Maynard. Belfry dominated the second half, but came up short by a score.

^^^because of bogus false start, and it was real cold..
Belfry's biggest weakness this year is self inflicted gun shots. When Belfry is on offensively watch out. Power, speed, and one of the biggest lines in the Astarte regardless of class. The problem though has been Belfry's pension for killer penalties and putting it on the ground. Against Southwestern Belfry wiped out hundreds of yards and at least 2 TDs with unnecessary penalties. Against LC the first time it was the 5 yard variety that kept it close as well as fumbles.

The other critique with Belfry as mentioned is the passing game. Keaton Taylor is a lot of really good things but a passer isn't the first thing that pops to mind. This was painfully obvious against Pikeville. Last year Taylor was a game breaker at SE and had to be respected every play but so far Belfry hasn't shown that threat.

The final weakness is the loss of Woolum. Woolum was the starting SE but more importantly was a darn fine place kicker. He was consistently the source of touchbacks and rarely stumbled on XPs. He also has range to about 40 yards on FGs which was a valuable weapon. The soccer players who joined late in the season have done an admirable job but Woolum is a big time loss.

How about Russell? Where are their biggest concerns?
bucslover68 Wrote:I guess my idea of good stats and yours are different. Bottom line 2 years. 2 losses for your boys. 23 total points with a bend but dont break TD at the end of the game last year. Step up and play a representative schedule and you will indeed get my props. As far as Pope goes, nice player and I said so last year many times, but Belfry has seen many better over the years. Not a knock on Pope, just the truth.
What better QB?? Names??
IronMan86 Wrote:Judging by your posts...you may want to consider dropping the "football" from your screen name and simply go with "junky". Because with the nonsense I've seen you post on here, you're clearly high on something.
And I bet your a real "iron man" just like the movie, eh??
Demarcus ware Wrote:Ouch. Debunked.
Still better than most on a broken leg. Back at u
EKU, Russell seems to have shored up some of their mistakes lately... but then again they haven't seen a team like Belfry since maybe Pikeville, and that night didn't end so well. The past two weeks, offensively, have been hard to figure. A lot of drives have stalled because of a missed block here or there. Lately, they have been penalty and turnover free. It will be interesting to see if they can keep a clean sheet if Belfry's strength and speed forces Russell to tighten up in key situations. Physically, the closest team Russell has seen to Belfry is Ironton, but the Devils have come a long way since that game. You all know a thing or two about Ironton down on Pond Creek... btw I appreciate the detailed critique.
Football Junky Wrote:What better QB?? Names??

Guffey from Wayne County and Smith from CAK have been the two best Belfry has seen the past three years. Smith being the best of the group.

Guffey and Pope were real close.

Over the years like he said in his post:
Tim Couch
Chris Todd
Zach Bernard
Justin Haddix
Dante Wright
.... Just to start the list off
samson81 Wrote:EKU, Russell seems to have shored up some of their mistakes lately... but then again they haven't seen a team like Belfry since maybe Pikeville, and that night didn't end so well. The past two weeks, offensively, have been hard to figure. A lot of drives have stalled because of a missed block here or there. Lately, they have been penalty and turnover free. It will be interesting to see if they can keep a clean sheet if Belfry's strength and speed forces Russell to tighten up in key situations. Physically, the closest team Russell has seen to Belfry is Ironton, but the Devils have come a long way since that game. You all know a thing or two about Ironton down on Pond Creek... btw I appreciate the detailed critique.

Ironton is as good of a warm up to Belfry's physicality as you will find! Glad to see the Tigers starting to regain their form.

Have tremendous respect for Russell and think this is the tip of the iceberg with Maynard at the helm and the youth of their roster. One of my favorite fan bases to interact with by far. I legitimately was a fan of the 04 and 05 Russell teams. Was legitimately upset that the 05 team got the shaft by having to play Mercer because that was a bogus deal. That team never should have been in 2A.

If only you all could get rid if the FBALL guy... But I hear he is more of a Raceland fan now anyway and probably will go to their game Friday instead Wink
I should also add that Russell's special teams haven't been so special this year. I don't know if it's by design or not, but almost every kickoff is short. They have also given up some big returns. Extra points and field goals are iffy so I don't fancy a kicking contest.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Guffey from Wayne County and Smith from CAK have been the two best Belfry has seen the past three years. Smith being the best of the group.

Tim Couch
Chris Todd
Zach Bernard
Justin Haddix
Dante Wright
Disagree!! Saw guffy, no where close!!! If you saw Pope healthy last year you would say the same thing!!! I can't speak of out of state schools. You are grabbing straws with that. Tim couch.... How far you going back? He's older than me. How about Johnny Unitas or Bear Bryant's QB's at UK back in the day. Better than Todd. Todd couldn't run. Haddix was pretty good, never heard of Bernard
Football Junky Wrote:Still better than most on a broken leg. Back at u
This thread isn't about a has been that still couldn't beat Belfry. Get over it and start your basketball practice cause your football season is over. Its about teams that are actually still playing and are relevant. Nice trip down memory lane of Belfry beating your team though. I guess since he was as great as you think that just makes Belfry look that much better. Thanks.
Football Junky Wrote:Disagree!! Saw guffy, no where close!!! If you saw Pope healthy last year you would say the same thing!!! I can't speak of out of state schools. You are grabbing straws with that. Tim couch.... How far you going back? He's older than me. How about Johnny Unitas or Bear Bryant's QB's at UK back in the day. Better than Todd. Todd couldn't run. Haddix was pretty good, never heard of Bernard
How bout you quit hijacking the thread now. Did you see the title up top. This for the teams that is still playing. Go back to basket ball practice.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Ironton is as good of a warm up to Belfry's physicality as you will find! Glad to see the Tigers starting to regain their form.

Have tremendous respect for Russell and think this is the tip of the iceberg with Maynard at the helm and the youth of their roster. One of my favorite fan bases to interact with by far. I legitimately was a fan of the 04 and 05 Russell teams. Was legitimately upset that the 05 team got the shaft by having to play Mercer because that was a bogus deal. That team never should have been in 2A.

If only you all could get rid if the FBALL guy... But I hear he is more of a Raceland fan now anyway and probably will go to their game Friday instead Wink
Actually it was '06 that we lost to Mercer. I want to see Russell get back to Belfry's level because there is so much potential over the next 4 years for some epic showdowns, being in the same region. This has been a great post season for our area with the Devils and Rams still playing, and yes I'll admit, it was even nice to see the Tomcats push the Bluebirds.
Football Junky Wrote:Disagree!! Saw guffy, no where close!!! If you saw Pope healthy last year you would say the same thing!!! I can't speak of out of state schools. You are grabbing straws with that. Tim couch.... How far you going back? He's older than me. How about Johnny Unitas or Bear Bryant's QB's at UK back in the day. Better than Todd. Todd couldn't run. Haddix was pretty good, never heard of Bernard
Smith will be a major D1 prospect. Belfry has seen him this year and last year.

Better than Todd?!?!?! C'mon man. Obviously Pope is a relative but don't make yourself look ignorant. We are talking about a 2 year starter at Auburn.

Zach Bernard was the OCath QB in 04. Was going to Marshall but had some off the field issues.

Where is Pope playing his college ball?
I hate to pick against either team. Have lots of respect for both programs. with that said i don't see a team beating belfry if they are on and clicking. Anything can happen on a friday night though. belfry 35 devils 14.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Guffey from Wayne County and Smith from CAK have been the two best Belfry has seen the past three years. Smith being the best of the group.

Tim Couch
Chris Todd
Zach Bernard
Justin Haddix
Dante Wright
:Thumbs:
I like both of these teams and it has impressed me how far the Red Devils have come since the scrimmage against LC. After that scrimmage I thought Russell must be having a down year but I was completely wrong. I watched the Ashland game and was very impressed with how hard those kids played and beat Ashland down. Just don't think Belfry can be stopped this year and I have to root for them to keep the championship in our district. Go Pirates! TongueirateSho
skully03 Wrote:You may have faced bruising fullbacks before but I guarantee you haven't faced one like MR. HATFIELD!!!! By far the best full back I have seen in HS football. Majority of the time it's takes 2-3 players to bring him down and he carries them for 4-5 yards.

I would agree with that but I have to put LC'S Shane Pack in the conversation. I can't quite remember if he was the actual fullback though. Hatfield is a bulldozer though and it is fun to watch that kid run the ball.

EKU stole my thunder. I had Bernard, Couch, and Chris Todd. All better than Pope and on just as good or better teams. If you don't know who Zach Bernard is, Owensboro Catholic, Marshall signee out of high school. Don't ask questions if you don't want answers. Pope had a great career, but to say he played well against Belfry is just not true. Be glad you didn't play Belfry this year.
mysonis55 Wrote:I think this is a down year for the Pirates with the loss to Pikeville so, I say Russell in an upset.

cupcake
bucslover68 Wrote:If you base a score on a team with 6-7 starters out or nowhere near 100
% then you don't know a whole lot about HS football!

How many starters were out when you lost to a lowly 1A team?:biggrin:
  •  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next