Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Johnson Central @ Harlan County 9\19
HDE Wrote:Eight in the county district (James A. Cawood, Cawood, Wallins, Cumberland, Green Hills, Evarts, Black Mountain and Rosspoint).
Yes, Black Star closed in 65, I think. The elementary closed in 85 and burned down soon after.
I have a few clues.

None of the Whitley schools played football before consolidation.
Totally different story than what im referring to.
Whitley even played a JV schedule in there first year of existence, which was 63.

Cawood, Cumberland, and Evarts all had several quality teams with kids coming together at one point overloading the talent for the first few years. This is obvious. NOW, the schools have been consolidated long enough that those kids that would have played and developed later on are no longer sticking with it. I made this point 3 or 4 years ago on this site and its holding true. While Harlan County may dress 50 or 60 kids, they would of had over a 100 playing football had there still been three different football teams.

Consolidation changes everything, and now Harlan County is starting to feel the bad side effects from it. If Perry, Letcher, and Whitley were even semi capable of fielding a quality team (which apparently there not anymore) than Harlan County should be finishing 4th in this district this year. Luckily for them, the other three schools cant get there heads out of there....
Demarcus ware Wrote:and here comes my buddy GUT in 3....2....1....

Score. Set. Match.
bear claw Wrote:Back in the coal boom days Harlan County had like 10 (give or take a few) high schools. Harlan County used to be one of the wealthiest counties in the country. Now look at us, THANKS Obama!

I would almost bet money (assuming the white house stays democratic for another 8 years) that in the next realignment Harlan County will be one of the smallest 4A schools in the state. If things keep going the way there going, then I see them dropping in population big time.
eagles2011 Wrote:Warrensville heights broke the contract ,

maybe they will just play 9 then. I haven't heard.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:None of the Whitley schools played football before consolidation.
Totally different story than what im referring to.
Whitley even played a JV schedule in there first year of existence, which was 63.

Cawood, Cumberland, and Evarts all had several quality teams with kids coming together at one point overloading the talent for the first few years. This is obvious. NOW, the schools have been consolidated long enough that those kids that would have played and developed later on are no longer sticking with it. I made this point 3 or 4 years ago on this site and its holding true. While Harlan County may dress 50 or 60 kids, they would of had over a 100 playing football had there still been three different football teams.

Consolidation changes everything, and now Harlan County is starting to feel the bad side effects from it. If Perry, Letcher, and Whitley were even semi capable of fielding a quality team (which apparently there not anymore) than Harlan County should be finishing 4th in this district this year. Luckily for them, the other three schools cant get there heads out of there....

the whole district is weak this year for sure:truestory:
HC is not just feeling the effects of consolidation they are feeling the effects of a mass exodus of the working class from Harlan. There are very few jobs left here to replace all of the closed mining operations and a decrease of funding because a huge decrease in tax base. Anyone who has watched middle school football should have seen this drop off coming. The talent level in Harlan is not what it was. Not trying to bash the players in any way or defend the coaches either because I do have a few problems with what I see scheme wise from the coaching staff. You can not force a square peg into a round hole.
I'd love to see this game competitive. Hopefully Harlan Co. will show up ready to play
Eagle84 Wrote:I can see you did not take your medication today.

:yawn:
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I would almost bet money (assuming the white house stays democratic for another 8 years) that in the next realignment Harlan County will be one of the smallest 4A schools in the state. If things keep going the way there going, then I see them dropping in population big time.

It won't be just Harlan County....

Sheldon Clark, from what I've been told, has lost a lot of kids from their school system.

But all of the EKY counties will see a decrease in population.

Look at Pike County, the largest county in the state. And as their county lines say "America's Energy Capital"

Belfry - 3A
Pike County Central - 3A
East Ridge - 3A (as of the 2012 season, not in district play this season)
Shelby Valley - 2A
Phelps - 1A
Pikeville - 1A

6 high schools in the largest (786.83 sq. miles) county in Kentucky. But none of their schools are bigger than 3A. And don't say the schools are too close together because you've never drove around Pike County. All the while, The Lexington/Scott County/NKY/Louis. metro area schools are gaining numbers.

If we do have 8 more years of the way this country is going... Eastern and Southern Kentucky will be a ghost town.
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
KyRock Wrote::yawn:

See how much better you feel when you take your medication.Confusednicker:
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Cawood, Cumberland, and Evarts all had several quality teams with kids coming together at one point overloading the talent for the first few years. This is obvious. NOW, the schools have been consolidated long enough that those kids that would have played and developed later on are no longer sticking with it. I made this point 3 or 4 years ago on this site and its holding true. While Harlan County may dress 50 or 60 kids, they would of had over a 100 playing football had there still been three different football teams.

That's simply not true. There were no quality teams at either school when the consolidation happened.
Cawood hadn't won a playoff game since 1993. Evarts hadn't won one since 1990. Cumberland had won only one in the last 15 years and that was against Jenkins.
None of the guys who played on the 2011, 2012 or 2013 Harlan County teams had ever played a game for Cawood, Cumberland or Evarts. They are much better together than they were as three separate teams.
JC 34
Harlan co 22
jim rome Wrote:I will take HC in a big win. New play caller Gary Smiddy keeps JC guessing all night. 35-14 HC
Wrong. I'm disguising myself as the black bear mascot so I can be on the field to call plays. Just look for the bear with the headset Confusednicker:
I hope Harlan will find A way.
Demarcus ware Wrote:Wrong. I'm disguising myself as the black bear mascot so I can be on the field to call plays. Just look for the bear with the headset Confusednicker:

Or you could take a page from Saved By The Bell.... you could dress up as the Golden Eagle mascot. Maybe even put a microphone in your beak.

AND YES.... THAT IS A JOKE!!!!!!!
PLEASE DON'T PRINT THIS OFF AND POST IT UP IN THE JC COACHES OFFICE!!!!!
SOME PEOPLE WHO "CREEP" ON THIS SITE NEED TO GET A SENSE OF HUMOR!!!!!!!!
THE MEMBER Demarcus ware ISN'T GONNA DRESS UP IN THE GOLDEN EAGLE MASCOT COSTUME AND STEAL JC'S PLAYS!!!!!!!!!

Forget QQ, Stardust, RIUTG, zaga_fan, alfus21.... I have more people who "creep" what I post on here than the actual Admin's and Mod's can monitor in a month. :blabbermo
Eagle84 Wrote:See how much better you feel when you take your medication.Confusednicker:

Confusednicker:
topnotch Wrote:I hope Harlan will find A way.

me too.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Or you could take a page from Saved By The Bell.... you could dress up as the Golden Eagle mascot. Maybe even put a microphone in your beak.

THE MEMBER Demarcus ware ISN'T GONNA DRESS UP IN THE GOLDEN EAGLE MASCOT COSTUME AND STEAL JC'S PLAYS!!!!!!!!!

Forget QQ, Stardust, RIUTG, zaga_fan, alfus21.... I have more people who "creep" what I post on here than the actual Admin's and Mod's can monitor in a month. :blabbermo

Don't give Demarcus ware that much credit!! Do you think it would surprise anyone who knows him to see that Eagle with the headset in his beak??? :please:

Also, as far as "creeping" mods are concerned, you are looking in the wrong direction!!Confusednicker:

Demarcus ware....I have an old Halloween costume that you might want to use tomorrow!!!
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Or you could take a page from Saved By The Bell.... you could dress up as the Golden Eagle mascot. Maybe even put a microphone in your beak.

Although that does sound like fun, I would rather call the plays as steal them. But that is interesting that someone would print things off and run to a coach. Sounds like a real go getter Confusednicker:
Granny Bear Wrote:Don't give Demarcus ware that much credit!! Do you think it would surprise anyone who knows him to see that Eagle with the headset in his beak??? :please:

Also, as far as "creeping" mods are concerned, you are looking in the wrong direction!!Confusednicker:

Demarcus ware....I have an old Halloween costume that you might want to use tomorrow!!!
Granny you know me all to well.
Granny I may need that Halloween costume, I'm getting to old and have to many injuries right now to go full stealth ninja so I can sneak into HC and back out Confusednicker:
Granny Bear Wrote:Don't give Demarcus ware that much credit!! Do you think it would surprise anyone who knows him to see that Eagle with the headset in his beak??? :please:

Not BGR Mod's or Admin's.... I'm talking about people who aren't even members of the site or people who rarely post on here.
Eagle84 Wrote:See how much better you feel when you take your medication.Confusednicker:

Much, Much Better Eagle I knew you had it in you. Or was it that Seger had it in you???????? Confusednicker::popcorn:
KyRock Wrote:Much, Much Better Eagle I knew you had it in you. Or was it that Seger had it in you???????? Confusednicker::popcorn:

:biglmao:
Ill make sure to stop in on this post game thread Confusednicker:
Bearclaw, I know Harlan County is on a major decline for the foreseeable future, but I never expected you to take up singing and even doing videos.

[YOUTUBE="Bearclaw"]2oH9WLBKN5A&feature=youtu.be[/YOUTUBE]
64SUR Wrote:Out of Respect for Granny Bear.

Johnson Central 35
Harlan County 21

:please:

I am changing my mind in Respect of Harlan County and Granny Bear.

Harlan County 28
Johnson Central 21

GO Black Bears...:Cheerlead
I went to this one last year in hopes of a good game and got diappointed. I like the Johnson Central stadium and the atmosphere and I would love to see the new Harlan County stadium but no way am I driving that far to see a slaughter!

[Image: http://www.mghelmets.com/high%20school%2...ral-ky.gif] 42

[Image: http://www.mghelmets.com/high%20school%2...nty-ky.gif] 14

Sorry Granny
HDE Wrote:Eight in the county district (James A. Cawood, Cawood, Wallins, Cumberland, Green Hills, Evarts, Black Mountain and Rosspoint).
Yes, Black Star closed in 65, I think. The elementary closed in 85 and burned down soon after.
I have a few clues.

I think you are a little off on the year on this one HDE. Loyal, Hall High and Wallins closed in the mid 60s to form Cawood. The first year Cawood was open most sports fans referred to the school as James A. instead of Cawood. Benham and Black Star closed several years earlier. I can actually remember my Evarts Wildcats beating up on Loyal, Wallins and Hall (the last year for Hall High, EHS beat them 78-0) but I have no memory of Black Star or Benham. I think Black Star closed around 61.

I can also remember going to Black Star Elementary in about 1982. I couldn't believe they were still having school in the building. It was very dark inside. Many of the windows were broken. The building was in sad shape.
I have a few clues.

bear claw Wrote:Back in the coal boom days Harlan County had like 10 (give or take a few) high schools. Harlan County used to be one of the wealthiest counties in the country. Now look at us, THANKS Obama!

High Schools that played football in Harlan County in the 1950s and 60s
1. Evarts Wildcats
2. Rosenwald Red Devils (Colored School)
3. Harlan Green Dragons
4. Hall High Gamecocks
5. Cumberland Redskins
6. Benham Rams (Colored School)
7. Benham Tigers
8. Lynch Pirates (Colored School)
9. Loyal Indians
10. Wallins Purple Devils
11. Black Star Eagles

Other former Harlan County High Schools that didn't field football teams
1. Pine Mountain Settlement School (I think they only had a couple graduating classes. Most of the years PMSS only went through 10th grade)
2. Highsplint (1930s. The only reason I know they had a high school is this school shows up in the 52nd district basketball archives)