Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Southeast Volleyball Showcase.
Joe Friday Wrote:There is a process in place in which the coaches are responsible for the nomination of players. No one else can or should be held responsible for his/her team. I suggest in future the players hold their respective coach's feet to the fire !

Well, for the coaches who didn't nominate any of their players, I only have one question. . . . HOW DO YOU SLEEP AT NIGHT?
Taylor Watkins
Audri Ray
& Keleigh Wagner
from Betsy Layne were all chosen for the 15th region Junior Team & received their letters today. does anyone know of anyone else on this or any of the other teams?
Congrats girls!
I recently heard that Anna Bevins, Belfry's coach, knew nothing of this team and that she had not been contacted about nominating any of her players...I also heard that Paige Thacker was not asked to play on this team last year and this seems a little odd to me considering that she was the 15th region player of the year....Can anyone elaborate on this?
As previously stated on this thread, this program will showcase what a bunch of loser coaches we have as a general rule in the 15th region. I'll bet not one coach from the district with Paintsville, Johnson Central, etc. sent in one ballot.
ImagineThat! Wrote:I recently heard that Anna Bevins, Belfry's coach, knew nothing of this team and that she had not been contacted about nominating any of her players...I also heard that Paige Thacker was not asked to play on this team last year and this seems a little odd to me considering that she was the 15th region player of the year....Can anyone elaborate on this?

1. The Director of Southeast Volleyball notified all coaches and Athletic Directors before the regional tournaments.

2. Coach Maynard sent a follow-up notification after being named the 15th Region representative.

3. Last year the 15th Region did not participate in the showcase. I do not know who was named as the representative.

4. Paige Thacker was named 15th Regional Player of the Year 2007/2008 volleyball season.

5. Brittany Hodge from Allen Central was named 15th Region Player of the Year 2008/2009
Maybe I can clear up some things on this showcase.

Any event which showcases top notch players from the 15th Region is well worth participating in...since it is about the players and not poor coaches. With that being said this event lacks organization. Coaches have coached a team there and never received info on the event the following two years and consistently emailed Jim McCallister for info. If the 15th didn't participate last year it wasn't due to not wanting to. Last year I saw probably the most talent in our region (I'm also counting Celena). As far as nominations it is the coaches responsibility to nominate, now if they don't receive ballots its hard to do. One poster was right when they said some coaches do not nominate any or turn their ballots in. So a coach is left to find what players they can. What school is in our region are we most likely to find a couple extra players to go play in Hazard--AC--therefore they tend to have more on it.

Also during this event basketball season has started...some bball coaches don't want their players playing for fear of injury. If there talented enough to make this team they are probably a contributor on the bball team.

The organizers of this event somewhat through it together at the last minute...they need to start and select the team at the region tournament, at least there you could get 8 coaches replies.

Girls named POY are done by the KY Volleyball Coaches Assc. They are the only ones to vote on this. Don't know the exact number now but there were only 4 members two years ago. You must be a KVCA to vote on POY and Coach of the Year. Not to take anything away from the POY and COY because all are very deserving and had outstanding careers.
Heard the first practice was today. Who showed? Who didn't? Who made the team or is it all a farce? Can someone shed some light on the teams selected????
BumpSetSpike Wrote:Heard the first practice was today. Who showed? Who didn't? Who made the team or is it all a farce? Can someone shed some light on the teams selected????

:Thumbs:

The 15th Region All-Stars had their first practice today and I heard it went well. There were a few who did not come because of other commitments but should join the team at their next practices. Also, some may not be able to participate because their basketball coaches don't want them to play.

The senior team consists of Beth Anders, Breanna Bentley, Bailey Hamilton, Kelsey Jones, Jaimie Mullins, Tara Spencer, Makala Slone, Jalisha Swafford, and Ashley Young.

The junior team has Tiffany Burdzilauskas, Megan Daniel, Taylor Deskins, Kes Moore, Rebekah Potter, Audri Ray, Keleigh Wagner, Taylor Watkins, Leigh Williams, and Sarah Williams.

It seems they all got along really well and were working well together. They are going to try to practice a couple more times.
Excellent! Should be a good game to watch. Thanks for posting Joe. Would like to have seen Sierra Little in the mix. I also thought there was gonna be a 3rd group of all players - not just juniors and seniors? Not enough nominations?
Zippidydoodah Wrote:Excellent! Should be a good game to watch. Thanks for posting Joe. Would like to have seen Sierra Little in the mix. I also thought there was gonna be a 3rd group of all players - not just juniors and seniors? Not enough nominations?

It is rather complicated but let me see if I can explain this. :yikes: The coaches were asked to nominate their top 3 seniors (if they had 3), and their top3 juniors (if they had 3 ), and their top 3 players (9-12). All teams have those and the 15th Region had the possibility of having 48 players to vote on as the top 10 players of the region.

The 15th Region has "Junior" All-Stars and "Senior" All-Stars that will play matches against the 13th and 14th Region's "Junior" All-Stars and "Senior" All-Stars. So, simply, only juniors and seniors can play.

There will also be a 1st Team All-Southeast Kentucky, a 2nd Team All-Southeast Kentucky, and a 3rd Team All-Southeast kentucky - these teams do not play a game.The names have not been released yet as far as I know. Each region gets a Most Valuable Player. Then each region will have 3 or 4 players on the 1st Team, 3 or 4 players on the 2nd Team, and 3 or 4 players on the 3rd Team All-Southeast Kentucky. These are players from any class (9-12) that were nominated by their coaches as their school's top three volleyball players and voted on by the coaches. Each region's coaches vote for the top 10 players with the one receiving the most votes being the number 1 player (MVP), the 2nd most votes, the number 2 player, and so on from the region.

So, a freshman or sophomore could be named to the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd Team All-Southeast Kentucky.

A senior or junior may not neccesarily be on the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd Team All-Southeast Kentucky.

I hope this clears it up a bit.
I think it clears it up, lol. Thanks for the post Joe.
I think if they add the 16th region to this next year like Joe Friday said they were trying to do then they should change the name to Eastern Kentucky Volleyball showcase because Southeast wouldn't sound right since the 16th region is Northeast,Ky.
Anyone know who all is on the 13th and 14th region and what teams are they from?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
cougarpride08 Wrote:Anyone know who all is on the 13th and 14th region and what teams are they from?

Letcher Central has girls competing in this and Coach Adams is one of the coaches I believe. I really do not know many details but I will find out.
hope the ds position is considered.
Thanks Orange!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

It was announced that two people from the 15th Region will be inducted into the Southeast Kentucky Hall of Fame this Saturday at Corbin for their contributions to the enhancement and promotion of volleyball in the 15th Region. They are Steve LeMaster, Sports Editor of the Floyd County Times and Pete Runyon, referee/umpire. There is a dinner scheduled for Saturday at 3:00p.m.

Congratulations to both !
Victoria Halcomb, Sierra Bates, and Brittany Sexton from Letcher Central will be playing on Senior team. Lisa Frazier and Myrika Begley will be playing on the Junior team.
Congratulation to all cougars.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

This is the schedule for Sunday's matches.

12:00 NOON : 14th VS. 15th JUNIORS

1:00 P.M. 14th VS. 15th SENIORS

2:00 P.M. 15th VS. 13th JUNIORS

3:00 P.M. 13th VS. 14th SENIORS

4:00 P.M. 14th VS. 13th JUNIORS

5:00 P.M. 13th VS. 15th SENIORS

Award Ceremony to follow.
Where will these matches be played at?
Harrison_0021 Wrote:Where will these matches be played at?

The showcase is being held at Perry County Central's volleyball court.
Can someone give a physical address to where the games are going to be held? I'm not familiar with the Perry County Central volleyball court and can't google it.
Zippidydoodah Wrote:Can someone give a physical address to where the games are going to be held? I'm not familiar with the Perry County Central volleyball court and can't google it.

I am trying to get that information. Will post it later this evening, probably around 10:00 p.m.
It is at the Sherman Neace Athletic Center at the old M.C Napier High School.
From Hwy 80, take Exit 59 (from Prestonsburg / Hindman – first exit after Wal-Mart, from Hazard / Manchester / London last exit before Wal-Mart).
Turn right onto KY 15/KY 80.
After passing Applebee’s on the right, exit right at the bottom of the hill (sign will tell you Perry County Central High School pointing right).
Turn left on KY 550 - Go past Perry Central on the right, then McDonalds, Pizza Hut and the Paul Ray Alexander Football Field all on the left. Travel approximately 1.6 miles to the next stop light and make a right. Sherman Neace Athletic Center is located at the next right turn.

Another way, from Martin, Prestonsburg, and Hindman – go past Allen Central High School on the right and travel west on Route 80 approximately 28 miles and turn left on KY 1146 S for BULAN. Turn right at KY—1146 S / KY-476S / KY-550 W. Continue to follow KY-476 S / KY-550 W for 2.2 miles. Continue past the KY-550W and MC Napier / Sherman Neace Athletic Facility will be on the right approximately 500 feet from the 550 turn to Hazard.

I was told local college coaches have been invited. Hopefully this will be a good day for volleyball in the mountains. Come out and enjoy the day!
Good Luck to all mountain ladies. Can anyone post a entire roster by school when they get a chance?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

It was a fun day at the Sherman Neace Athletic facility today. They had quite a few people show up and there were some great concessions - to include chicken and dumplings, pulled pork sandwiches, deep fried oreos, as well as the usual stuff. Enough about that - it was a great day for volleyball and the 15th Region All-Stars. It gives me great pleasure to say, that the 15th Region Juniors and Seniors won 'OVER-ALL' today. The juniors got 100 points overall and the seniors scored 95 overall. They only counted two games per match and it was based upon the overall points of 4 games.

You could tell that the teams were not used to playing together and some big mistakes were made but it was enjoyable and the girls really tried their best and got along quite well together.

Plaques and tees were given to the Junior and Senior All-Stars and medallions and certificates to the 1st, 2nd, 3rd Teams and Honorable Mentions.

I think Jim McAlister, the coordinator, did a great job of pulling such a huge event together. Michelle Pray, Perry Central's coach, also did a great job and her volleyball girls worked really hard - as did the volleymoms.

Looks like High School Volleyball is over for another year - great talking with you!
Joe Friday Wrote:It was a fun day at the Sherman Neace Athletic facility today. They had quite a few people show up and there were some great concessions - to include chicken and dumplings, pulled pork sandwiches, deep fried oreos, as well as the usual stuff. Enough about that - it was a great day for volleyball and the 15th Region All-Stars. It gives me great pleasure to say, that the 15th Region Juniors and Seniors won 'OVER-ALL' today. The juniors got 100 points overall and the seniors scored 95 overall. They only counted two games per match and it was based upon the overall points of 4 games.

You could tell that the teams were not used to playing together and some big mistakes were made but it was enjoyable and the girls really tried their best and got along quite well together.

Plaques and tees were given to the Junior and Senior All-Stars and medallions and certificates to the 1st, 2nd, 3rd Teams and Honorable Mentions.

I think Jim McAlister, the coordinator, did a great job of pulling such a huge event together. Michelle Pray, Perry Central's coach, also did a great job and her volleyball girls worked really hard - as did the volleymoms.

Looks like High School Volleyball is over for another year - great talking with you!

does anyone know who the girls were that made the 1st, 2nd, 3rd Teams & Honorable Mentions?