Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Closing of a Gillispie era. Why was he fired. Player relationships? A must read.
Nothing yet for the blogger's story to be substantiated. I sure hope this was not just a heteful slander due to this guys agenda because he didn't like Gillispie. He for two years has done nothing but pisparage Gillispie after it was well known that BCG did not grant him interview time. I'm still open to whatever comes of this, but nothing, absolutely nothing from anything in the past can substantiate this guys slanderous attack.
Stardust Wrote:Is this a blog. Where are the quotes? Is this the same as if I would have wrote a story without quoting resources or where I got my information?

This information is not only in the blog. Drummond, May, and other credible sources on HOB, and Rivals have confirmed this.

And as for the player crying locked in the room. It was not Harrellson. That player being talked about was Darius Miller. Miller was also the player involved in the incident where the player was called soft, because during a play in practice, he hit his head, and was complaining of his head hurting, and Gillispie jus said he was soft.
mrfootball03 Wrote:This information is not only in the blog. Drummond, May, and other credible sources on HOB, and Rivals have confirmed this.

And as for the player crying locked in the room. It was not Harrellson. That player being talked about was Darius Miller. Miller was also the player involved in the incident where the player was called soft, because during a play in practice, he hit his head, and was complaining of his head hurting, and Gillispie jus said he was soft.

and Darius's dad told him he needed to be tougher and if he wants to be a leader, he needs to step up. not much compassion from his own father.
Stardust Wrote:and Darius's dad told him he needed to be tougher and if he wants to be a leader, he needs to step up. not much compassion from his own father.

Who cares? lol Gillispie is gone. Nobody but you liked him anyways. Lets face it, the truth is, its all about wins. You miss the NCAA tournament, you'll miss next season coaching at Kentucky. The bar is set high, and to stay elite, you have to keep it that way. At Kentucky, the pressure is high, I guess Billy Gillispie just wasn't "tough enough" Confusedhh::lmao:
jetpilot Wrote:Mark Story said in the HL today that Gillispie "did not have a poor relationship with the vast majority of the Kentucky news media,"
that he "never one time saw Gillispie be abusive toward a member of the local media corps," and that "Rick Pitino was harsh toward more reporters in almost any week from his UK tenure than Gillispie was in two years."

The media thing is way overblown, as is the "abuse" of players.

He's right about that too. Pitino was brutal. But it was his charm and more importantly his entertaining style of play when all in UK land were desperate that got him to deity status.

Remember at the time slick Rick was not the first choice for the UK job. Lute Olsen and PJ Carlesimo both turned it down before it fell to Pitino and he jumped at it to get out of the situation that he had gotten himself into in New York.
mrfootball03 Wrote:Who cares? lol Gillispie is gone. Nobody but you liked him anyways. Lets face it, the truth is, its all about wins. You miss the NCAA tournament, you'll miss next season coaching at Kentucky. The bar is set high, and to stay elite, you have to keep it that way. At Kentucky, the pressure is high, I guess Billy Gillispie just wasn't "tough enough" Confusedhh::lmao:

I like him.
mrfootball03 Wrote:Who cares? lol Gillispie is gone. Nobody but you liked him anyways. Lets face it, the truth is, its all about wins. You miss the NCAA tournament, you'll miss next season coaching at Kentucky. The bar is set high, and to stay elite, you have to keep it that way. At Kentucky, the pressure is high, I guess Billy Gillispie just wasn't "tough enough" Confusedhh::lmao:

That was dumb, he didn't quit or hide?????
FBALL Wrote:He's right about that too. Pitino was brutal. But it was his charm and more importantly his entertaining style of play when all in UK land were desperate that got him to deity status.

Remember at the time slick Rick was not the first choice for the UK job. Lute Olsen and PJ Carlesimo both turned it down before it fell to Pitino and he jumped at it to get out of the situation that he had gotten himself into in New York.

What situation was that exactly, a playoff team with the Knicks. And as for being our third choice that year, he wasn't he was our first. He initially turned down UK, then we went to Olson and PJ, but ultimately came back to Pitino and convinced him otherwise.
Also, regardless if he was a harda*$ or not, the one thing he wasn't was a professional. Plain and simple, he was not professional at anything he did while he was at UK. I watched him at a camp in eastern KY that my nephew attended and he showed up wearing a UK pullover, a dirty white undershirt, a pair of shorts, and wearing a pair of loafers with no socks. Now maybe the first three are acceptable as practice attire, but loafers with no socks, its obvious he wasn't taking the camp very seriously, and it was also obvious that he didn't care if everybody else knew it. Later that night, he was rumored, and I say rumored, to have showed up at a house party thrown by a bunch of college kids and spent the rest of the night drinking and partying. I'm not saying that its unacceptable to have abrew every now and then, but isn't this pretty much the same thing that got Huggins in trouble. To me Billy G was and still is very unprofessional.
EKY_Basketball Wrote:What situation was that exactly, a playoff team with the Knicks. And as for being our third choice that year, he wasn't he was our first. He initially turned down UK, then we went to Olson and PJ, but ultimately came back to Pitino and convinced him otherwise.

The situation was he wasn't nearly as successful in the NBA as he was in college. A lesson it took at least twice to learn.

Olson #1, Carlisimo#2, Pitino #3 and glad to get a return to the college game. C.M. Newton was all over the first two before he got to Pitino. It was a live soap opera then just as it is now.
FBALL Wrote:The situation was he wasn't nearly as successful in the NBA as he was in college. A lesson it took at least twice to learn.

Olson #1, Carlisimo#2, Pitino #3 and glad to get a return to the college game. C.M. Newton was all over the first two before he got to Pitino. It was a live soap opera then just as it is now.

Well they offered to Pitino first and he turned them down and then after the others were offered they came back to Slick Rick and he took the offer.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[YOUTUBE="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y2Ezx8SnN0"][/YOUTUBE]
The article was well-written and had to contain some facts. I only wish the players names were given that were treated like that. But I still have my own criticism about some of the topics that were brought up.
First Off I understand that the Kentucky job ac
Batpuff Wrote:Well they offered to Pitino first and he turned them down and then after the others were offered they came back to Slick Rick and he took the offer.

Thanks for the back up.
BCG is old news now. Havent you all heard from the fifty million news stations that we now have JC?