Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Closing of a Gillispie era. Why was he fired. Player relationships? A must read.
Kentucky Sports Radio Wrote:(4) PLAYER RELATIONSHIPS
While all of the above are very important, the most significant factor in the downfall of Billy Gillispie was his relationship with the players. It is not an exaggeration to suggest that with only a couple of exceptions, the players simply did not like their coach at all. With a group of young men who were extremely tight as a group, every slight and verbal assault on a teammate became an assault on them and over time, the players simply had no affection for the man in charge. Over the course of a season, countless acts occurred that ruined team chemistry and individual confidence. I am sure there are many more than this, but just a few that I know for certain:
— Coach told Jodie Meeks in a number of games to stop shooting and decried him for his selfishness, even during his 54 point performance in Knoxville. He told Meeks he should quit on a number of occasions and even threatened to kick him off the team in his last game ever, in South Bend during the NIT.
— At halftime of one game, he forced a player to sit in a bathroom stall with the door closed during the entire break because he said he couldnt stand to look at him.
— On more than one occasion, when a young player went into his office to ask for advice on how he could get better, he returned from the office having been berated by the coach and crying as he returned to Wildcat Lodge.
— On one road trip, a player who had been injured but was deemed to be too “soft” by the Coach was told to walk to the hotel from the arena, and only after teammates said that they would be get off the bus and walk with him, was he allowed back on.
— On another road trip, a player who felt the criticism was so strong that he locked himself in a room crying, while the team bus waited outside.
These are just a few of the countless incidents, which in

Read entire story below.

http://new.kentuckysportsradio.com/?p=16364
Yeah, just got done reading this before you started this thread. In this article, are 5 interesting points on why BCG was let go. I think some of the Gillispie defenders may change their minds if they read the entire article.

Barnhart and the administration absolutely made the right decision.
Is this a blog. Where are the quotes? Is this the same as if I would have wrote a story without quoting resources or where I got my information?
I tried to tell everybody since the beginning that he was trouble. Nobody wanted to hear it.

It was obvious to many here in Lexington who continued to hear several first hand accounts of his off the court antics with the team and by himself, that he was an absolute joke of a coach and a person. I wish I could say I wish Billy Gillispie luck, but I don't. In fact, I hope he fails miserably in his next endeavor as well.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The bathroom stall incident was with Josh Harrellson. Gillispie told Harrellson during the halftime of the Vanderbilt game (game where Harrellson didn't see the floor during the second half) that his play is ****, and **** belongs in the bathroom, so he made Harrellson stay in the bathroom the entire halftime. He was also rumored to have made Harrellson ride the equipment bus back to Lexington from Nashville.

This is exactly what I'm trying to tell some of the other members, but they fail to listen.

There is a line between teaching discipline and being a prick.
Matt Jones has been a hater of BCG since he was hired and has berated and written nothing possitive about BCG ever since BCG refused his interview request two years ago.
Stardust Wrote:Matt Jones has been a hater of BCG since he was hired and has berated and written nothing possitive about BCG ever since BCG refused his interview request two years ago.

So you think he simply made up ALL of those incidents?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Stardust Wrote:Matt Jones has been a hater of BCG since he was hired and has berated and written nothing possitive about BCG ever since BCG refused his interview request two years ago.

Isn't it ironic that these rumors are flying around everywhere and players are glad that Gillispie was let go?

It's not just Matt Jones, I was told the Harrellson story by a friend that lives in Lexington and is close to someone who is close to Patterson, and I hadn't read anywhere on the web about that incident until QQ posted it. So now, I have a strong belief that it is true.
Why do people continue to defend this man?
alfus21 Wrote:So you think he simply made up ALL of those incidents?

If you have read any of my posts, I've mentioned many times before that the father of the player that I know has mentioned many things but nothing of this magnatude. We just got this from a blogger. If it is substantiated byt the players, then we will have the other side of the story.
If true, I'm disgusted that he was ever the UK coach.
TheCandyManIsBack Wrote:If true, I'm disgusted that he was ever the UK coach.

But if not true????

Please don't tell me your gonna try and defend him.
(2) Derrick Jasper:
It cannot be overstated the impact that the Derrick Jasper situation had on the UK program. Derrick Jasper was a player loved by his teammates and all of those around the program. Jasper is a great kid and the type of player that helps a team both on and off the court. Derrick came to Kentucky for Tubby Smith, and was skeptical of staying in Lexington when a change in leadership occurred. But Gillispie sold Derrick on the idea of being the cornerstone of the new program, and Jasper decided to stay. However from the very beginning, the marriage was doomed to failure. Derrick is a very soft-spoken, mild-mannered kid who doesnt take over criticism well (much like Jodie Meeks). Gillispie’s style of coaching, which includes tremendous criticism and pitches to a player’s manhood destroyed Jasper’s confidence and made him very uncomfortable in practice and games.
Jasper was also of course dealing with his injury that continued to linger. Derrick did not want to return to the court, but after a trainer gave the opinion that he could, Jasper found himself playing again. I have never gotten a clear story on how Jasper ended up on the court (some say Gillispie pressured him into playing, some say that Jasper felt he had to when given the clearance from the trainer), but what is clear is that Derrick regretted his decision to come back. After returning, those close to Derrick have told me that Gillispie challenged the young man a great deal on his “toughness” and if he was going to keep “letting his injury be an excuse.” The treatment turned Jasper off and he made the decision to transfer….thus taking away Kentucky’s best point guard prospect and, potentially even more importantly, a teammate that was well-liked. This team with Jasper on it is a different basketball team, but Gillispie only has himself to blame for Derrick’s departure.

This is also from the same blog.
Honestly, this doesn't suprise me.
Our team this season had a lot of potential, and it was obvious something was holding them back.
I've always felt that there had been problems between the coach and the players.
I think they're very relieved he's gone,
and maybe next season will be a different story.
torQQue Wrote:Read entire story below.

http://new.kentuckysportsradio.com/?p=16364
Just got done reading this blog. It was great and at first i said he needed another year, but if this is true, then he is better off gone!
Stardust Wrote:Is this a blog. Where are the quotes? Is this the same as if I would have wrote a story without quoting resources or where I got my information?

This is not the first place this has been posted. The other requires premium membership.
:Thumbs: :worthy: :Clap:
BlackcatAlum Wrote:The bathroom stall incident was with Josh Harrellson. Gillispie told Harrellson during the halftime of the Vanderbilt game (game where Harrellson didn't see the floor during the second half) that his play is ****, and **** belongs in the bathroom, so he made Harrellson stay in the bathroom the entire halftime. He was also rumored to have made Harrellson ride the equipment bus back to Lexington from Nashville.

This is exactly what I'm trying to tell some of the other members, but they fail to listen.

There is a line between teaching discipline and being a prick.
Quote: Originally Posted by Kentucky Sports Radio
(4) PLAYER RELATIONSHIPS
While all of the above are very important, the most significant factor in the downfall of Billy Gillispie was his relationship with the players. It is not an exaggeration to suggest that with only a couple of exceptions, the players simply did not like their coach at all. With a group of young men who were extremely tight as a group, every slight and verbal assault on a teammate became an assault on them and over time, the players simply had no affection for the man in charge. Over the course of a season, countless acts occurred that ruined team chemistry and individual confidence. I am sure there are many more than this, but just a few that I know for certain:
— Coach told Jodie Meeks in a number of games to stop shooting and decried him for his selfishness, even during his 54 point performance in Knoxville. He told Meeks he should quit on a number of occasions and even threatened to kick him off the team in his last game ever, in South Bend during the NIT.
— At halftime of one game, he forced a player to sit in a bathroom stall with the door closed during the entire break because he said he couldnt stand to look at him.
— On more than one occasion, when a young player went into his office to ask for advice on how he could get better, he returned from the office having been berated by the coach and crying as he returned to Wildcat Lodge.
— On one road trip, a player who had been injured but was deemed to be too “soft” by the Coach was told to walk to the hotel from the arena, and only after teammates said that they would be get off the bus and walk with him, was he allowed back on.
— On another road trip, a player who felt the criticism was so strong that he locked himself in a room crying, while the team bus waited outside.
These are just a few of the countless incidents, which in

what a worthless piece of S***. if other schools are smart they won't take his a**, he shouldnt even get another chance to coach not even in high school or any other kind of school for that matter
I read this on the Cats Pause premium forum as well as many other places. I defended him to the end, and I said he deserved one more year. But after all of this has come out, I am soo glad he's gone. He doesn't need to coach again. It's a miracle that we even won 20 games, and an even bigger one that our players had the heart to stick through it and win 20 games.
I cant wait for a turnaround next year.
I saw this in a post last night I beleive it was, and started to do some digging, I found some on cats pause. Its unbeleivable what people on there are saying that Billy G did. Some say he hit players at practice and I also read about the bathroom incident. Seems kinda crazy that noone has spoken up on behalf of the players and said anything about this. And how wouldnt the admin know about things such as these going on? Did they just turn their heads and pretend not to see anything or did they even care. As I watched Barnhart yesterday in his press conference, he kept on mentioning the "student athletes experience". What the heck kinda experence would it be if the coach bet on you and never had anything good to say. I mean I understand a coach being hard on players and I agree that a coach should be hard on players they are getting thier college paid for but making a kid walk to the hotel from an arena is just ludicris. If the rest of the stories are true and I really hope they are not, Billy G wont be coaching anymore.
Can someone please post some of the things that they are saying on cats pause? Some people might not have read them yet. Thanks.
Brittany0121 Wrote:I read this on the Cats Pause premium forum as well as many other places. I defended him to the end, and I said he deserved one more year. But after all of this has come out, I am soo glad he's gone. He doesn't need to coach again. It's a miracle that we even won 20 games, and an even bigger one that our players had the heart to stick through it and win 20 games.
I cant wait for a turnaround next year.

This is exactly what I was talking about. People that haven't looked into all these off-court events don't understand that the firing had really nothing to do with wins and losses. These blogs about BCG relationships with his players are becoming more public now and everyone can see what this man is really like.

Yet, a few people still defend him?
C.Clair Wrote:I saw this in a post last night I beleive it was, and started to do some digging, I found some on cats pause. Its unbeleivable what people on there are saying that Billy G did. Some say he hit players at practice and I also read about the bathroom incident. Seems kinda crazy that noone has spoken up on behalf of the players and said anything about this. And how wouldnt the admin know about things such as these going on? Did they just turn their heads and pretend not to see anything or did they even care. As I watched Barnhart yesterday in his press conference, he kept on mentioning the "student athletes experience". What the heck kinda experence would it be if the coach bet on you and never had anything good to say. I mean I understand a coach being hard on players and I agree that a coach should be hard on players they are getting thier college paid for but making a kid walk to the hotel from an arena is just ludicris. If the rest of the stories are true and I really hope they are not, Billy G wont be coaching anymore.

I think that Barnhart was referring to Gillispie's verbal abuse to the players when he said "chemistry".

As in there was no chemistry between the coach and the players.
C.Clair Wrote:Can someone please post some of the things that they are saying on cats pause? Some people might not have read them yet. Thanks.

We can't share their premium info, however, all the info will eventually make its way to the public very soon. There are more allegations than just what Matt is reporting. But his post covers most of what was shared at catpause.
There's no crying in basketball! THERE'S NO CRYING IN BASKETBALL!!!
jetpilot Wrote:There's no crying in basketball! THERE'S NO CRYING IN BASKETBALL!!!

That's exactly right.
jetpilot Wrote:There's no crying in basketball! THERE'S NO CRYING IN BASKETBALL!!!

Unless you have a coach that does nothing except demean and berate you...
From the first day he was hired I defended him and was a huge supporter, but now I feel like a idiot and I am glad he is gone.

On a side note I see Patterson and Meeks both coming back, is there any word on this just yet.
Captain_44 Wrote:From the first day he was hired I defended him and was a huge supporter, but now I feel like a idiot and I am glad he is gone.

On a side note I see Patterson and Meeks both coming back, is there any word on this just yet.

Neither have stated that they are for sure coming back, both have said that their intentions are on coming back, but I say they are going to wait until UK makes a hire before the make their final decision.