Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shelby Valley. Best team in the 15th since?
Udon'tKnowMe Wrote:Let's not forget that last year in the regional game against SV Slone had a huge knot on his shooting elbow so he was no where near 100%, just throwing this out there since the Valley faithful seem to think injuries were a main reason for Valley not winning last year. I seem to think its because their coach held the ball after fighting like "wildcats" to overcome a 20 point disadvantage. Why not ride the horse that got you there and continue to be aggressive? Never mind the fact that Paintsville had no bench and 4 players on the court with 4 fouls.

Our boys were seriously injured, but nice try. You could basically see the bone in Jake's leg from the table he fell into, and Taylor tore his entire knee up. Knot on a shooting elbow, wow, this comes up a year later?
Who cares, that was last year.
PC_You_Know Wrote:Our boys were seriously injured, but nice try. You could basically see the bone in Jake's leg from the table he fell into, and Taylor tore his entire knee up. Knot on a shooting elbow, wow, this comes up a year later?

Does it really matter guys, I mean honestly. Paintsville still won the game, no matter if Bill Mike had an ingrown toenail. It don't matter if 10 years down the road, someone says "Well Landon's hamster passed away earlier that morning". The fact of the matter is it's over and Paintsville won. Nothing we say or do is going to change it.
Debating is great fun and allows posters to really support their team of choice. That being said, no one can know what woulda, coulda, shoulda happen if the two teams matchup (07/08 Paintsville vs 08/09 Valley)..it just can't happen..

The more important thing to remember is that we should enjoy what we have today and what we've had in the past. The mountains have produced some truly memorable teams from the 80's and 90's Paintsville great teams, the current Valley team, and many others that have been mentioned in recent posts..

Get out and support the teams and players as they play their final games for losing seniors and as winners look forward to the dream of bringing a state championship to the 15th.....

GO 15th!!!
Shelby Valley just happens to play in the weakest region in the state. If this team played in the 14th they probably wound not be the best team. You people get on here and talk like they are the best team ever and they are just average at best. To bad they didn't play in the 14th this year they probably would have ended up in 4th place behind Hazard, Pcc, and Knott.
zulu Wrote:Shelby Valley just happens to play in the weakest region in the state. If this team played in the 14th they probably wound not be the best team. You people get on here and talk like they are the best team ever and they are just average at best. To bad they didn't play in the 14th this year they probably would have ended up in 4th place behind Hazard, Pcc, and Knott.

I wish this were true, but when Valley is heathy, there better than any team in the 14th. However, I do think they would suffer a few loses in the 14th.
zulu Wrote:Shelby Valley just happens to play in the weakest region in the state. If this team played in the 14th they probably wound not be the best team. You people get on here and talk like they are the best team ever and they are just average at best. To bad they didn't play in the 14th this year they probably would have ended up in 4th place behind Hazard, Pcc, and Knott.

That is ridiculous. If they aren't that good why do you spend all that time hating on them. Also you do realize that BGR has a built in spell check?
InstantOffense Wrote:That is ridiculous. If they aren't that good why do you spend all that time hating on them. Also you do realize that BGR has a built in spell check?

Thanks for the BGR tip! I'll keep that in mind. Also, the next time you ask a question you should use a ? mark instead of a period, but I understand that you're much smarter than all the rest of us. :worthy:
zulu Wrote:Thanks for the BGR tip! I'll keep that in mind. Also, the next time you ask a question you should use a ? mark instead of a period, but I understand that you're much smarter than all the rest of us. :worthy:

Buddy, I'm deeply sorry we all don't speak Zulunese.
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:I would have to say the best team in the 15th from after the time Paintsville won the Sweet 16. My reasoning behind it is because they are the first team from the 15th to win a state tourney in basketball after Paintsville won it all. Other teams has been good and the debate can go on and on. But trophies mean more than talk on a sports forum internet site.

Paintsville 96-97 State Semi-Fianlist (got screwed royally in the semi's against Highlands)

Paintsville 97-98 State Runner-Up (Todd Tackett don't get hurt and miss the entire 2nd half, Paintsville wins this game easily)

98-99 Pike Central, 98-99 Pikeville, 99-00 Johnson Central, 99-00 Magoffin etc.

There have been quite a few teams since Paintsville won the state championship that this Valley team couldn't beat. Some people fail to realize the competition level then compared to now. Heck I can think of 3 teams in the 15th Region my senior year (2002-03)alone that this Valley team couldn't have beat (Paintsville, SV, and JC). Valley won the All "A" State Championship, congrats, heck I was down there cheerin for em in the Elliott County game. This thread should have waited til next year, IMO they will be even 15-20 points better then this years team.
since Joe MontanaSmile...I say we make a video game to simulate this SV team and region teams of the past. The strength of this region has changed tremendously and it's just not fair to compare SV to other teams and other teams to SV. But, I will say there's a few teams from Paintsville, Johnson Central, South Floyd, and even Shelby Valley that could give this team trouble.
If you only think of recent teams, then last years paintsville team and this years valley team are very good contenders. However, if you are old enough to remember the 70's then I think that you would agree that these teams or any other teams can compare to the caliber of teams or players of the past. Kids are no longer made to get into shape nor are they taught basketball stategy. All most of them know to do is to run and shoot the 3. Basketball teams are not what they used to be. My pick for best teams are the '76 Virgie Eagles and the '78 SC Cardinals.
If you only think of recent teams, then last years paintsville team and this years valley team are very good contenders. However, if you are old enough to remember the 70's then I think that you would agree that these teams or any other teams can compare to the caliber of teams or players of the past. Kids are no longer made to get into shape nor are they taught basketball stategy. All most of them know to do is to run and shoot the 3. Basketball teams are not what they used to be. My pick for best teams are the '76 Virgie Eagles and the '78 SC Cardinals.
Congrats to SV and good luck at Rupp, the 15th is behind you.

SV needs to worry about beating the next team they will face at Rupp. What is behind will not count for the next game. Make you own mark and show everyone how great you are.
Redneck Wrote:This thread should have waited til next year, IMO they will be even 15-20 points better then this years team.

Next year's SV team won't be as good as this year. SV will lose the 2 inside players (Curby Tackett and Deven Adams), and probably the top defender and secondary ballhandler (Logan Bryant). SV doesn't have players ready to step in and replace those three. SV will return 5 players that have seen significant playing time, and NOBODY else that has ever really played varsity ball. This year's SV team is the best that you will see them...
Congrats to Valley on a great season. It's tough for a team as talented as them to do as well as what they did when they carry a bullseye on their back the whole season. But for those that made the comparison to other teams such as the 1996-1998 Paintsville teams were off. In all honesty the 1997 Tigers were better than the 96 team, and the only reason the 1996 team had 10 losses were due to the games that they played out in Vegas and other national competition against the likes of current NBA star Mike Bibby. But tonight's game showed how truly difficult it is for a team to go down to Rupp on short periods of rest and put together 4 solid games against great competition. I would probably go out on a limb and say that this team is comparable to the 1999 Pikeville team that lost to Ballard, 2000 JC team that lost to Antwan Barbour, or last year's Paintsville team that lost to Holmes. Nothing to hang your heads about guys, great job and you made the 15th proud.
DALE Wrote:Congrats to Valley on a great season. It's tough for a team as talented as them to do as well as what they did when they carry a bullseye on their back the whole season. But for those that made the comparison to other teams such as the 1996-1998 Paintsville teams were off. In all honesty the 1997 Tigers were better than the 96 team, and the only reason the 1996 team had 10 losses were due to the games that they played out in Vegas and other national competition against the likes of current NBA star Mike Bibby. But tonight's game showed how truly difficult it is for a team to go down to Rupp on short periods of rest and put together 4 solid games against great competition. I would probably go out on a limb and say that this team is comparable to the 1999 Pikeville team that lost to Ballard, 2000 JC team that lost to Antwan Barbour, or last year's Paintsville team that lost to Holmes. Nothing to hang your heads about guys, great job and you made the 15th proud.

Great post, I completely agree
Best since Paintsville last year.
OverSeer Wrote:If you only think of recent teams, then last years paintsville team and this years valley team are very good contenders. However, if you are old enough to remember the 70's then I think that you would agree that these teams or any other teams can compare to the caliber of teams or players of the past. Kids are no longer made to get into shape nor are they taught basketball stategy. All most of them know to do is to run and shoot the 3. Basketball teams are not what they used to be. My pick for best teams are the '76 Virgie Eagles and the '78 SC Cardinals.

You must not have been around back then. The '75 Johnson Central team was the best team of the 70's to come out of the 15th region. The best I remember they beat that same Virgie team by 32 points in the regional finals. The '76 Virgie team didn't even make it to the regional finals the next year either. Betsy Layne was the regional champs that year.
They do play in the weakest region but in a few years it should be a pretty strong region with Pikeville, Betsey Layne, and Belfry coming up to be contenders
i know, right? Wrote:They do play in the weakest region but in a few years it should be a pretty strong region with Pikeville, Betsey Layne, and Belfry coming up to be contenders

16th looked the weakest this year. Elliott was blowing teams out, Vally was beating their opponents by less than 20, then Valley and Elliott split games, I would have to say the 16th is weaker than the 15th.