Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shelby Valley. Best team in the 15th since?
The "08-09" SV vs "07-08" Paintsville thread got me thinking. Obviously some feel last years Paintsville team could have beaten this years Valley team and thats fine, but most disagree. So how many years do you guys think we have to go back in the 15th region to find a team better than this version of the Wildcats?
I'll go first. I think that this team and the SV team of "00-01" would have been a great matchup. Shannon Akers, Jeremy Akers, Terry Wright, etc... But this years team is probably a bit too big for them. I think the last team that would have beat this seasons Wildcats is the Paintsville team of "97-98".
why not last year's P-ville team
because last years paintsville team could not hang with this valley team. but i would like to see the paintsville team that jr vanhoose was on and this years valley team play. that would be a great matchup.
Paintsville Tigers '07-'08.
Agreed, you don't win 30 games for no reason.
Yeah last years Pville team as much as SV fans dont want to admit it
I would have to say the best team in the 15th from after the time Paintsville won the Sweet 16. My reasoning behind it is because they are the first team from the 15th to win a state tourney in basketball after Paintsville won it all. Other teams has been good and the debate can go on and on. But trophies mean more than talk on a sports forum internet site.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It is the size of the fight in the dog.
Well if you only went by trophies you aren't taking into account all factors (ie. caliber of other teams played, total win-loss records of all teams, etc). I mean somebody can win a trophy in a sport and be the only one who played/participated; so I think, logically, this post is similar to when we predict odds for who will win the Derby or Superbowl. It depends on the opinions and beliefs of observers (known as subjectivist theory of probability- look it up if you think I am full of crap). Different people observe different aspects about different teams and therby make their claim as to who they think is best, not based merely on trophies.
Apology for sounding nerdy
InstantOffense Wrote:I'll go first. I think that this team and the SV team of "00-01" would have been a great matchup. Shannon Akers, Jeremy Akers, Terry Wright, etc... But this years team is probably a bit too big for them. I think the last team that would have beat this seasons Wildcats is the Paintsville team of "97-98".

Was that the team the 58th runner-up AC knocked off in the first round of the reigion on SV's home floor?
gtowntiger Wrote:Well if you only went by trophies you aren't taking into account all factors (ie. caliber of other teams played, total win-loss records of all teams, etc). I mean somebody can win a trophy in a sport and be the only one who played/participated; so I think, logically, this post is similar to when we predict odds for who will win the Derby or Superbowl. It depends on the opinions and beliefs of observers (known as subjectivist theory of probability- look it up if you think I am full of crap). Different people observe different aspects about different teams and therby make their claim as to who they think is best, not based merely on trophies.
Apology for sounding nerdy
I agree with that. Some teams may have won that had a bad game in the All A regions. But in 10 years from now, it will be more of who brought home the hardware than anything else. I remember Paintsvilles team that won the state. I cant remember the details and who was supposed to win it anymore. I cant even remember the runner up now.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It is the size of the fight in the dog.
That is a good point to! No one remembers the losers later except probably those who lost and wish they hadn't. BTW, not saying SV didn't play good teams, just making a general statement
This years SV team is a really good team and a special one from the mountains but I do believe last years Paintsville team would at least give them a game if not beat them. They did last year. And the biggest difference this year is Justice is a little better and more experienced. I do not think Adams is a huge difference maker on this years team. Paintsville's inside game would have him in foul trouble early the way Grimm attacked the basket. SV had no answer for him last year.
Colonel Kill Wrote:This years SV team is a really good team and a special one from the mountains but I do believe last years Paintsville team would at least give them a game if not beat them. They did last year. And the biggest difference this year is Justice is a little better and more experienced. I do not think Adams is a huge difference maker on this years team. Paintsville's inside game would have him in foul trouble early the way Grimm attacked the basket. SV had no answer for him last year.
Last year when Deven was at Pikeville, they played Paintsville. In the game during the All A, Deven controled both side of the court in the paint. So to say that is kinda a false statement. I might have to get that game out and watch it again. It was a very good game.
I personally believe the Paintsville team of '96, was amazing & the '98, team was awesome. While I really like the "Valley" team this year... I can't see them taking either one of the afore mentioned Tiger teams. I do not see SV's big guys being as domineering as they could or even should be. (maybe I have not seen them play anyone who really challenged them to play their best). I do see the guards from Valley being very very good and a "joy to watch"... but then they always have been. Either way it goes... isn't it a wonderful thing to have such fine talent among us for so long!?
The difference between this years Valley team and last years Paintsville team is the depth of Valley. An argument can be made for the starting 5 but Valley plays about 9-10 kids regularly and Paintsville had 6. I think though that the comparisons need to start once the season is over and see how SV finishes up. That 00-01 SV team was great but have nothing to show for it. Lets see what kind of run this team has before any comparisons are made to any other teams that have already got it done.
I liked that post snake. There has been a ton of truly amazing players in the 15th over the years. As I am sure there will be in the years to come. The next great player could be playing little league now. Things that I really dont understand is before all the consolidation of the schools, the 15th used to have battles to first, get out of their district. then after a sigh of relief for winning the district, they had a even bigger battle to win the region. Off to the state tourney where they always represent well.

Now, sometimes you have to win one game in the district to go to the regions. Some teams dont even have to do that. It is amazing the way it has changed.
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:Last year when Deven was at Pikeville, they played Paintsville. In the game during the All A, Deven controled both side of the court in the paint. So to say that is kinda a false statement. I might have to get that game out and watch it again. It was a very good game.

And who won that game?
Paintsville in 2 overtimes. But to say that he couldnt hold his own on the inside against Grimm and Vanhoose. If you dont think so, I will let ya borrow the film to watch.
South Floyd 02
How many time last year was he saddled in a game for foul trouble? I did not say he coould not hold his own just that Paintsville attack of the basket had many people in foul trouble. Slone was a master at getting to the foul line after driving to the basket. And I said Adams was not a huge difference maker on this SV team. I think SV's Tackett could have done just as good in the starting role if they did not pick up Adams.
Ok, I give up, Paintsville was the best team ever last year. So tell us their resume, what tourneys did they win last year?

My thoughts, this years Valley team beats last years Paintsville team by 25.
Oh no!!! Do not ever give up your position!! As I mentioned earlier, this is a logical comparison based on personal beliefs, you are just as correct as anyone else!
gtowntiger Wrote:Yeah last years Pville team as much as SV fans dont want to admit it

Go to the poll. SV this year leads over Paintsville last year. I don't ee how you can argue that. I mean SV had two key injuries, overcame a 20 point deficit, and lost in OT. I can promise you that this SV team is better than last years. Since SV and Paintsville were tied at the end of regulation that should say they were pretty even. This SV is at least 10 points better than last season.
Homer Simpson Wrote:South Floyd 02

SV won the region in 02. They only lost 1 game in region and it was to AC early in the season. Paintsville beat SF out of the All A and the Regional. SV was definitely the best team in 02.

The 01 SF team was much better than the 02 team in my opinion. However, the SV team that got upset in the region gave them a thumping 84-26 at SF on senior night...
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Paintsville Tigers '07-'08.

I agree 100%.
Ok, here is my statement. If you gather last years team right now and let the two play, have you forgotten Landon has been in a D-1 college program, one of the best in the nation? This is all my opinion, and by the way logically you cant argue with my point for it really isnt an argument. I stated a belief or personal opinion (ie no premise AND conclusion, ie not an argument, just as the poll is not an argument, just a subjective probability theory!!!!)
I think the thread says best team in the 15th since..... and does not say ever. That would be the '96 Paintsville Team. The Tigers won the 15th last year beating Valley head up and continued to Rupp and won there. They also won the 15th All A advancing to the semi's and gave champion University Heights their toughest game of the tourny. So how can you set there and say this Valley is better. This is the weekest 15th region I have ever seen. I am not even from Painstville but watched them play a lot of games over the years and my opinion is they were every bit as good as this years Valley team. Besides all we have to go on his that they did play last year with the same kids except Adams and Paintsville won the game. I think Valley is a great team but just because you have a personal bias for Valley doesn't make them the greatest team to ever play. I don't have that tie with Paintsville and think my opinion is a little more objective.
I have no problem if people think last years Paintsville team was better. I think it is pretty close. I can see the argument. No big deal, I enjoy the debate. I wasn't implying that Paintsville last year was a bad argument, I just wanted to see what other teams brought up from the past. Paintsville last season was a great team and represented the 15th very very well in every game they played.
Colonel Kill Wrote:Was that the team the 58th runner-up AC knocked off in the first round of the reigion on SV's home floor?
Yep, they were knocked off in the first round of the region. I believe this valley team would have beaten them.
And as for last years paintsville team being better than this years valley team, i'm also going to have to disagree with that. I mean, didn't it take paintsville 2 ot's to beat valley last year? And let's face it, with the returing players for Valley getting so much better and the additon of Adams, Valley is a much better team this year than last year.