Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RUMOR--Big Changes For Pike Central Football 2009?
The kid could play.
I watched him get six td in one half.
Would have scored more but he did not play the 2nd half.
I think it might have been the game before he got hurt.
ComfortEagle Wrote:I will say this. I was at PHS when the episode with Chapman went down. And correct me if I'm wrong, but what did Chapman do at Pikeville that surpassed what Mac did? Chapman didn't make it to State either. And I remember when he came to Pikeville Chapman was heralded as the next guy to take PHS to the state championship and it was a disappointment the way things turned out.

I think McNamee is a better coach for high school, yes. He is a better person, has a better attitude, and is a better role model for kids in high school.

In high school, football is about learning teamwork and responsibility, not necessarily all about winning.

I did not go to Pikeville, so I do not know Coach McNamee as a role model. I just don't want you to sell Coach Chapman short as a person. In my opinion, it is a no brainer on who the best coach is. I played for Coach Chapman and I know what he is all about. I may not have finished High School and certainly would not have enrolled in or finished my college education if he had not been around to motivate and direct me. Winning games is not all I have to thank him for. Pike Central is very fortunate to get him. And whoever said they will practice hard is correct. They will practice hard and be prepared. No one can prepare like he can. He could coach your team when he gets finished breaking you down on film. I wish him the best. He is great coach and a great man, again I know this first hand. There is no rumor about that.
ComfortEagle Wrote:"If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we’d all have a merry Christmas”.

If Chapman hadn't been run off in '99 for not getting along with Keno and hurting a kid's feelings who had quit the team, Pikeville would have won it all and probably a couple more since then. Mac and Jason Howell had to finish the season and Pikeville lost in the semis when they were up by 10 over Beechwood with a couple minutes left and Beechwood hit 2 absolute wounded duck Hail Marys to win after most of their fans had left. Beechwood won the championship the next week by 30...Pikeville never was the same after Chapman left in the middle of '99.

I like Mac, but no way is he in Chapman's league...
HOPEFULLY THE NEW COACH WILL BE ABLE TO GET pIKEVILLE ON THE SCHEDULE.
Look at it this way. PC and Pikeville keep recycling coaches because they are not really that attractive of jobs. Why do you never hear of a Belfry coach applying for one of these jobs? Because they know it is a dead end, especially at PC. Pikeville still has some promiss but they have unrealistic expectations of winning the state title every year. They are not that juggernaut anymore. They are no better than any other district champion and are not in the class of Beechwood and some of the other heavy hitters anymore. Their district is among the worst in the state and they either refuse or burned too many bridges to play up and coming teams around them (Shelby Valley for example) so they are stuck playing the same teams over and over that they cannot beat and the cupcakes in their district. Its just a matter of talent. If you dont think that any of their state title teams wouldnt beat the teams over the last few years by 30 points you would be badly mistaken. A coach can only do so much. I understand that you have to have a high standard but Pikeville's is overblown. Until the people and powers that be understand that their program will continue to sink lower each year. You can't change coaches every 2 or 3 years and expect to be a powerhouse. It just doesn't happen.
NEWARKCATHOLICFAN Wrote:HOPEFULLY THE NEW COACH WILL BE ABLE TO GET pIKEVILLE ON THE SCHEDULE.

Chances of that are few far and between. Mac has tried since he arrived at Pike Central the first time and then Barry Birchfield did as well and then Mac again. The coaches never have a problem with it however the Pikeville AD has always vetoed the idea if you will. Hopefully though you are correct with the prestige as a coach that Chapman will bring. Has this been clarified yet because the last time I talked to David Rowe he was still uncertain of Mac leaving? I didnt have the time to read all 3 pages due to im going to class right now. If anyone could give me any more information that would be correct. Mac if you have left us again we will miss you.
Mac and Birtchfield are both definetely gone, they both told the players yesterday, they are both keeping it tight lipped, but the truth of the matter is they were forced out by the board for purely political reasons, had nothing whatsoever to do with job performance. Two really good role models getting screwed by the system. The bad thing is the program was ready to turn around, just about everyone returning and alot of talent and experience on the team, that Coach Chapman will inherit and reap the benefits of Mac and Barry's hard work.
Coach Mac is a class act and I personally would love for my son to play for him.
Quote:Mac and Birtchfield are both definetely gone, they both told the players yesterday, they are both keeping it tight lipped, but the truth of the matter is they were forced out by the board for purely political reasons, had nothing whatsoever to do with job performance. Two really good role models getting screwed by the system. The bad thing is the program was ready to turn around, just about everyone returning and alot of talent and experience on the team, that Coach Chapman will inherit and reap the benefits of Mac and Barry's hard work.

I guess what goes around comes around. Seems that the Coach before these two was done the same way. This must be common place at Central.
well breathitt will be losing he best defencive coach it could ever had. any ideas on who his replacement might be?
With Chapman leaving, Justin Haddix will step in and become the Defensive coach. Justin knows defense very well, he was the LB coach this past year and pick up very valuable experience in college.
Jay#4 Wrote:This is probably one of the truest statements that I have seen on here. I fully agree with the "You scratch my back, I scratch yours." Nothing but the cold hard truth.

For sure - mud has been slung at those hired by EM - it started last spring (resignations are PC's bow out to keep from getting blame) and so it continues - Super has altered many lives in his wake and I hope to live to see karma come back to take him down -

Mac is a great guy and so is Barry B - I wish them nothing but the best
I can't believe so many at Pike Central are satisfied with mediocrity, satisfied with losing season's every year. How can you argue for that? Not saying that people need to be let go, but at least changes would be necassary you would think.
Justin Haddix,the great QB?

I can remember Boiste State trying to get him to play QB there.
i don't know how much truth this has, but what i can understand is coach chapman is going to pike central. which really sucks.... He's the best dc ive seen and ive been to many schools. I mean the guy isn't going to have dinner with you or come over for chirstmas but he's a great coach. If he's leavin to go to pc then he will be missed! He is the best dc in eastern ky and one of the tops in the state..
[quote=johnnydufflebaghead]I guess what goes around comes around. Seems that the Coach before these two was done the same way. This must be common place at Central.[/quote

No Comparison !

The coach before these two was living in the shadow of Coach Hilton, the program was already in TROUBLE when the new staff took over.
HAWKMAN Wrote:[quote=johnnydufflebaghead]I guess what goes around comes around. Seems that the Coach before these two was done the same way. This must be common place at Central.[/quote

No Comparison !

The coach before these two was living in the shadow of Coach Hilton, the program was already in TROUBLE when the new staff took over.

I dont know if I can agree with you there, under Johnny "trickery" Poytner the program finished in their highest seed ever with a district of more than just a 4 team district. The district was tougher at that point in time no doubt about it. I love Mac and Barry but to say Poynter ran the program in the ground is no fair. He had virtually zero help or support and that limited his success IMO. Not to mention yes the score looks lop sided in the playoff game his last season but Pike Central made their best showing ever in a playoff game and if they had a few calls go their way could have very well been in the game going into the 4th. I agree that Barry and Mac are being done wrong but your argument has no base. IMO
Any info on why he would leave Breathitt anyway? I'm pretty shocked by this.
SportsKing Wrote:I can't believe so many at Pike Central are satisfied with mediocrity, satisfied with losing season's every year. How can you argue for that? Not saying that people need to be let go, but at least changes would be necassary you would think.

WOW!!!!!! You didn't have that attitude about the mediocrity at Pikeville.:confused:
NEWARKCATHOLICFAN Wrote:Justin Haddix,the great QB?

I can remember Boiste State trying to get him to play QB there.

Aren't you the one that was in contact with me trying to get him as an OHIO BOBCAT?
jetpilot Wrote:WOW!!!!!! You didn't have that attitude about the mediocrity at Pikeville.:confused:

If you're referring to when Coach McNamee was at Pikeville, he did a great job!

If you're referring to the last four years at Pikeville, since McNamee went to Pike Central, then: Pikeville's record in regional play has been: (2005: 6-2) (2006: 7-1) (2007: 8-1) (2008: 7-1).

Compared to Pike Central's: (2005 2-4) (2006 2-4) (2007 2-3) (2008 2-3)

Regular season: Pikeville 2005-2008 (32-18)
Pike Central 2005-2008 (12-26)
....and I think Pikeville played just a little tougher schedule. I don't think there's a comparison, as far as mediocrity is concerned! However, I do think the tide will start to turn now, Chapman will make a huge difference!
I like Pikeville so when I ask this I do so because I want to know what you all think.

By playing in the wesk district they do, doyou think this hurts them come playoff time?
Part two to my question.
By playing in such a weak district do they over load the nondistrict schedul so much that it hurts them?
Jesus people this is a "Sports Forum" forums are supposed to full of rumors and sometimes things that are incorrect. This is not the Lexington Herald and hopefully most people realize it's just's other peoples opinions at times.
SportsKing Wrote:If you're referring to when Coach McNamee was at Pikeville, he did a great job!

If you're referring to the last four years at Pikeville, since McNamee went to Pike Central, then: Pikeville's record in regional play has been: (2005: 6-2) (2006: 7-1) (2007: 8-1) (2008: 7-1).

Compared to Pike Central's: (2005 2-4) (2006 2-4) (2007 2-3) (2008 2-3)

Regular season: Pikeville 2005-2008 (32-18)
Pike Central 2005-2008 (12-26)
....and I think Pikeville played just a little tougher schedule. I don't think there's a comparison, as far as mediocrity is concerned! However, I do think the tide will start to turn now, Chapman will make a huge difference!

LOL!!! Take out Allen Central, Betsy Layne, South Floyd, Jenkins, Paintsville (who is now horrible), Phelps, Harlan (horrible) and the like and what is Pikeville's record?

Pikeville's mediocrity (and everyone but you seems to realize that they are mediocre or worse) is much harder to take than Pike Central's because Pikeville was a powerhouse for many years and PC is trying to build a program.
Breathitt Bobcat Wrote:Aren't you the one that was in contact with me trying to get him as an OHIO BOBCAT?
You must be the older brother. Yep Ohio and Boise State. According to the coach he had Boise State but they received the tape a day late and would only offer a grey shirt his first season.
NEWARKCATHOLICFAN Wrote:You must be the older brother. Yep Ohio and Boise State. According to the coach he had Boise State but they received the tape a day late and would only offer a grey shirt his first season.

No I'm not kin at all.He comitted to Clemson and backed out when they signed another bigtime recruit at QB and was promised to start at WKU and did for 4 years.
Breathitt Bobcat Wrote:No I'm not kin at all.He comitted to Clemson and backed out when they signed another bigtime recruit at QB and was promised to start at WKU and did for 4 years.
My bad.
johnnydufflebaghead Wrote:I guess what goes around comes around. Seems that the Coach before these two was done the same way. This must be common place at Central.

That sure is right and those two together never worked as hard at it as the coach before them

:letsparty Go Chapman
BleedsBlue Wrote:For sure - mud has been slung at those hired by EM - it started last spring (resignations are PC's bow out to keep from getting blame) and so it continues - Super has altered many lives in his wake and I hope to live to see karma come back to take him down -

Mac is a great guy and so is Barry B - I wish them nothing but the best

EM also altered a few lives of a good guy and also slander his name.