Poll: Win?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Paintsville (29-3)
70.41%
Jeffersontown (26-5)
29.59%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jeffersontown vs. Paintsville - March 19 (State Tournament)
crazyfan4 Wrote:J-town will kill the tigers.....although i want the tigers to win, they jus dont stand a chance. but a great way for paintsville to end their season at rupp arena

I guess I'll have to repeat this again..

J-town is a team that Shelby Valley almost beat and ended up losing by 5 points. If Paintsville can keep up the intensity they showed in the Shelby Valley game the first quarter, you better believe they will win. Everybody is forgetting Paintsville is a great team, yea they had a few let downs this season, but this is still a team that only lost to South Charleston by 3 points and they are #1 AAA in the state of WV. Paintsville has as good a shot as any to make the final four.
Redneck Wrote:I was in Alabama tryin to keep up with the game on the computer in the hotel lobby but it was really jacked up. I knew they had a 20 point lead. "Blew it" probably aint the phrase I would use accordin to a few fans I have talked to from other schools. Once the refs started blowin their whistles out of their rearends Paintsville eased off on both ends so they wouldn't have 5 players with 3 fouls before halftime. And the sad part is, Paintsville had a 20 point lead and Landon wasn't even hittin anything. Had he even shot half as good as he usually does that lead coulda been 30+.
Landon wasn't even getting a chance to shoot due to the defense on him and Paintsville's guards turning it over with stupid passes or trying to drive between 2 or 3 defenders.

Slone didn't shoot well against Centrall, though.
I hope Paintsville wins, but they're not going to.

Slone is a great player in this region, but get him down state with the players on those teams and he's nothing special. Valley played Jeffersontown strong earlier in the year, but I don't think it would happen again that way. Jefferstown is just vastly more talented and a better overall team, with 2-3 players probaly better than Landon Slone. I'm from the mountains and I hope they win and represent well, but the problem is, they are completely outclassed in this one. Jeffersontown goes 9-10 deep, runs better than Paintsville, have a better half court game than Paintsville. Applies more pressure defense than Valley did that gave Paintsville trouble in the regional, but Jeffersontown's pressure d is better than Valley's. I don't see this one being close. If I had to predict a differenence in the score than I would have to take Jeffersontown by 15-20 points.

Good Luck Paintsville.
Good luck to Paintsville and BMR.

BMR better rely on Van Hoose, Slone, and Grim to get the ball up the floor. If the region games are any indication, Bundy and Murray won't be able to handle pressure. They sure didn't handle it from Valley.

PHS will go as far as Van Hoose, Slone, and Grim take them and if Bundy/Murray can keep it under 12 TO's between them.
Hope Paintsville wins. Im a Hazard fan and hope any team from Eastern Ky wins!!
kidatheart Wrote:Why can't we just be proud of the Tigers. They are going to Rupp and representing this area. No matter what school you are cheering for at least give the Tigers a fighting chance. This team has played their hearts out this season.
I am proud as punch!!
I think they have more than a fighting chance!
KyGurl Wrote:Hope Paintsville wins. Im a Hazard fan and hope any team from Eastern Ky wins!!
How about Paintsville / Hazard in the FINALS!
FloridaFan Wrote:I hope Paintsville wins, but they're not going to.

Slone is a great player in this region, but get him down state with the players on those teams and he's nothing special. Valley played Jeffersontown strong earlier in the year, but I don't think it would happen again that way. Jefferstown is just vastly more talented and a better overall team, with 2-3 players probaly better than Landon Slone. I'm from the mountains and I hope they win and represent well, but the problem is, they are completely outclassed in this one. Jeffersontown goes 9-10 deep, runs better than Paintsville, have a better half court game than Paintsville. Applies more pressure defense than Valley did that gave Paintsville trouble in the regional, but Jeffersontown's pressure d is better than Valley's. I don't see this one being close. If I had to predict a differenence in the score than I would have to take Jeffersontown by 15-20 points.

Good Luck Paintsville.

How can you say their defense is that much better than Valley's if Valley scored 70 points against that defense, and only got beat by 5 points? Going 9-10 deep means nothing. Paintsville has conditioned themselves so well this year they can stay on the floor the entire game and keep up, they've been doing it all year. You know I heard another poster say that J-town was a running team, now your saying they are a half-court team. Personally it's obvious that everyone posting on J-town doesn't know alot about them, they are just assuming that because they are not from the mountains, they will win. Well you better reevalute your thoughts because BMR and the Tiger's don't just go to Lexington to be going...They go for a purpose!!!
OMG Wrote:I guess I'll have to repeat this again..

J-town is a team that Shelby Valley almost beat and ended up losing by 5 points. If Paintsville can keep up the intensity they showed in the Shelby Valley game the first quarter, you better believe they will win. Everybody is forgetting Paintsville is a great team, yea they had a few let downs this season, but this is still a team that only lost to South Charleston by 3 points and they are #1 AAA in the state of WV. Paintsville has as good a shot as any to make the final four.

OMG the truth of the matter is alot of people have not come to realize that Paintsville was the best team in the 57th this year and most Valley fans don't wanna seem to admit this to themselves so they are just bitter cause they know we can play with J-Town and it will kill their souls when we beat them.
SecretAgent Wrote:[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]hey....anything could happen!!! Who would have ever thought in 96 a bunch of kids from a TINY..TINy class A school would go to Lexington and take down the power houses..Scott County..Lexington Catholic..nobody picked PHS to win then but guess what ...Paintsville gave it H#LL and look what happened!!! This team has just as much if not more talent than the PHS team of 96....they just have to want it more than any of the other teams!!!I pick Paintsville to make it to FINAL FOur and thats as far as I can predict without seeing the other teams and viewing stats!!!
:biggrin:[/COLOR]

Uh, no, this team is not as talented as the 1996 team, not even close, 1996 had a UK Scholarship Signee, Marshall Scholarship Signee and Minor league baseball singee, this team has no athlete of that quality, sorry to disappoint you

This team is not as good as the Paintsville teams of 86-87, Pelphry (Mr Basketball), Couch (starting noseguard for UK football),

I did see Paintsville win in person in 1987, begged my dad to take me after we had watched Pelphry in the regionals at Virgie gym.
A-TRAIN Wrote:Uh, no, this team is not as talented as the 1996 team, not even close, 1996 had a UK Scholarship Signee, Marshall Scholarship Signee and Minor league baseball singee, this team has no athlete of that quality, sorry to disappoint you

This team is not as good as the Paintsville teams of 86-87, Pelphry (Mr Basketball), Couch (starting noseguard for UK football),

I did see Paintsville win in person in 1987, begged my dad to take me after we had watched Pelphry in the regionals at Virgie gym.

Who was the minor league baseball signee? I never said they were more talented, that would be taking it to another level, and the 96' team will be hard to beat as far as talent goes. Tackett could have went to UK on a baseball scholarship as well.
Ratliff
A-TRAIN Wrote:Ratliff

Matt Ratliff? I thought he went to Pikeville College on a golf scholarship. I also think that Mike Short might have played basketball for maybe a year. If i'm completely wrong, then i'm wrong. Maybe Guru can clarify this for me?
Best of luck guys.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
crazyfan4 Wrote:J-town will kill the tigers.....although i want the tigers to win, they jus dont stand a chance. but a great way for paintsville to end their season at rupp arena
:Clap: I abosolutely agree with you! Everybody is on here getting their hopes up on this game. Almost Everybody is predicting this game on their hearts instead of their heads.You can talk about how Pville got really close to beating J-Town, I have seen BOTH teams play and J-Town wins by far! Eastern High the 7th region runners up could by far beat Pville! Theres no question J-Town wins easily, I am feeling generous J-Town by 15.
OMG Wrote:Matt Ratliff? I thought he went to Pikeville College on a golf scholarship. I also think that Mike Short might have played basketball for maybe a year. If i'm completely wrong, then i'm wrong. Maybe Guru can clarify this for me?

It was Craig Ratliff.
ukfan24 Wrote::Clap: I abosolutely agree with you! Everybody is on here getting their hopes up on this game. Almost Everybody is predicting this game on their hearts instead of their heads.You can talk about how Pville got really close to beating J-Town, I have seen BOTH teams play and J-Town wins by far! Eastern High the 7th region runners up could by far beat Pville! Theres no question J-Town wins easily, I am feeling generous J-Town by 15.

Believing in your team means alot and having heart will take you a long way !!! I think you may be surprised on the outcome.
FloridaFan Wrote:I hope Paintsville wins, but they're not going to.

Good Luck Paintsville.

He's been playin against guys from down state in various tourneys his whole career and held his own. There is a reason Mike Fields picked him as one of five guards across the entire state he could win a state championship with. He has seen Landon play against Lex Cath, UHA, Bardstown etc. Fields is a very respected sports writer and has been around long enough to know talent when he see's it.
There is a reason why Hopson is getting recruited by D1 schools and Slone isnt. There is a reason! He is better.
yes when u get down to state every team has a "lando" most have 2 or 3 as good or better than him...
.houshmandzadeh. Wrote:yes when u get down to state every team has a "lando" most have 2 or 3 as good or better than him...

Housh, you can't be serious. "Lando the Cammando" is one of the best in the state. :muscleman
kidatheart Wrote:Why can't we just be proud of the Tigers. They are going to Rupp and representing this area. No matter what school you are cheering for at least give the Tigers a fighting chance. This team has played their hearts out this season.
It's just like always,... "Anybody BUT Paintsville."
Every year I go to state wishing the 15th will do good. But they never do. I was watching when SV had an awesome team with Tackett and Friend and all of them and some older guy that probably goes every year said the 15th region was the worst region in the state. Pville may have a good team but this being their first year making it after about 5 tries for these seniors I think they will not be ready to play and come out like a lot of eastern KY teams and get beat up by a quick and athletic Louisville or Lexington team. If Pville had any kind of bench they may have a small chance but due to their lack of depth and the lack of a big man I think they will get beat up by J-town who did win state a couple of years ago. J-town by 17.
ukfan24 Wrote::Clap: I abosolutely agree with you! Everybody is on here getting their hopes up on this game. Almost Everybody is predicting this game on their hearts instead of their heads.You can talk about how Pville got really close to beating J-Town, I have seen BOTH teams play and J-Town wins by far! Eastern High the 7th region runners up could by far beat Pville! Theres no question J-Town wins easily, I am feeling generous J-Town by 15.

I couldn't agree with this any more. You hit the nail on the head. :Thumbs:
Tigers by enough!
Trust me, we all root for the mountain teams and always will, the 13th, 14th and 15th region kids are "our kids, friends, nephews, nieces, brothers, sisters", but it comes down to the reality of the situation, I honestly thought SV had a chance to win last year when they drew the 16th region and was so disappointed that Coach Booher could not change his defensive philosophy as they fell futher and futher into foul trouble. We all loved the Clay Co teams with Richie Farmer, didnt matter what school we went to. Same with the Paintsville team that brought home the crown in 96. We have not seen that quality of a team come from the mountains in a long time and this year is not that year either. The only quality win that Paintsville has all year is Valley, they did beat an injured Tates Creek team early in the season, got beat by 18 by Lexington Catholic, besides that, they beat up on eastern KY teams that were not of their caliber.

With this group of seniors that they had, they should have tried to vary their schedule and actually invite teams to their Tigers Classic that could have competed at a higher level.
A-TRAIN Wrote:Trust me, we all root for the mountain teams and always will, the 13th, 14th and 15th region kids are "our kids, friends, nephews, nieces, brothers, sisters", but it comes down to the reality of the situation, I honestly thought SV had a chance to win last year when they drew the 16th region and was so disappointed that Coach Booher could not change his defensive philosophy as they fell futher and futher into foul trouble. We all loved the Clay Co teams with Richie Farmer, didnt matter what school we went to. Same with the Paintsville team that brought home the crown in 96. We have not seen that quality of a team come from the mountains in a long time and this year is not that year either. The only quality win that Paintsville has all year is Valley, they did beat an injured Tates Creek team early in the season, got beat by 18 by Lexington Catholic, besides that, they beat up on eastern KY teams that were not of their caliber.

With this group of seniors that they had, they should have tried to vary their schedule and actually invite teams to their Tigers Classic that could have competed at a higher level.

Excellent post.
Jeffersontown by 12
RavenBoy Wrote:There is a reason why Hopson is getting recruited by D1 schools and Slone isnt. There is a reason! He is better.

Who in the **** said anything about Hopson?
Redneck Wrote:Who in the **** said anything about Hopson?
You did. About city boys