Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Breathitt Co. 20 Russell 17
FBALL Wrote:I disagree with some of this. The coaching staff does do an excellent job of putting players in place That I agree with.

However Russell has had as much talent as anyone. Coaching aside. You can't win without talent and what has made Russell so successful is that you have had great coaching and talent over the years. There may not have been many division 1 players but there have been alot of very good players. That includes this group.

Examples of some of players on the level with Jones and Haddix are recently are Nate McPeek played for Marshall, Gross is now at Georgetown, Clark is at Murray State. Going back further Brent Muncy I believe played for EKU, John Groves played for Alabama then transferred to UK, TJ Maynard played for UK, Drew Ramey went to Geortown, Robert Brown and Jeff Frazier played at Morehead State, Josh Wills is currently at Georgetown and I could think of more that went on to play college football. Thats not a bad talent pool.

You have to catch a break every now and then to keep advancing. Had they picked off one of those passes you were reffering to then it is likely Russell wins the game.

For those who question the play calling. Breathitt ran that same slant route many times. If the ball does get intercepted, which it probably should have been twice, does Holcomb get criticized for running the same play to many times? Coaches run what they think will give their team the best chance to win.

People have been critical of the Russell offense for years. It is not flashy. But it is effective.
You forgot Brian Mckenzie, Didn't he go and play for the Altlanta Falcons??
RUSSELL RED DEVILS
RedDevilRB Wrote:VERY true 36's were not working and we still continuted to run them why? simon kenton we lost from a field goal call that was not called.....breathitt we lost by a field goal call that was not called...state game last yr..we started passing...for what? our running game could have got us into field goal position...as it would have in this past fridays game...kinda ridiculus
When you start second guessing your coaches on a public forum(who have 30-40 more years experience than you do) maybe it's time for you to go somehwere else. Because you are not coachable.
DevilsWin Wrote:When you start second guessing your coaches(who have 30-40 more years experience than you do) maybe it's time for you to go somehwere else. Because you are not coachable.

were not second guessing the coaches..they pick the play and we execute..but what im saying is...we ran the same play over and over...and it was only going for a yard at a time
RedDevilRB Wrote:were not second guessing the coaches..they pick the play and we execute..but what im saying is...we ran the same play over and over...and it was only going for a yard at a time
Let me state this frist, DEVILS WIN don't be so harsh. there is truth to what he is saying. All the fans know that smash mouth wing -T football that we play is very predictable. Second, we are not the ones on the field. To us we see something old and something without change for over those 30-40 years. However, Saying that someone isn't coachable because they voice thier opinion is very closed minded. These kids have learned and will take with them a valuable lesson from the wing T. Solid fundimetals. Now the problem at hand second guessing a coach, isn't that what some of the best players in the world sometimes do? Maybe its the coach who is the one who doesn't listen to the players? Yes we all would like to have the last few minutes back but we can't. Even Mcglone stated it was his fault on a couple of plays. This is a great team they will learn from their mistakes. If they are not learning from those mistakes then they should consider another sport. But until then be a mentor not a judge.
RUSSELL RED DEVILS
Sorry JGrubby but we'll have to agree to disagree.

I don't care how good you are, when you get on a public forum and question your coaches, who go to clinic after clinic and watch film after film after film and want to win just as bad, it's just wrong. Year around. Their season never ends.
And it's not leadership. I expect more from someone who receives individual awards at the awards banquet.

All season long he's been on here telling us what we don't know and how wrong we were.

He's a player, and will be gone from this program after next year.

The program will live on, but he will be a hazsbeen. Just like us. He's not the first guy to wear those shoes.

Seems to me like he thinks its all about him and the other 10 guys on the field. Russell Football is bigger than any 1 player, person or coach. Ivan McGlone included.

It was here before them and it will be here after they're gone.
DevilsWin Wrote:Sorry JGrubby but we'll have to agree to disagree.

I don't care how good you are, when you get on a public forum and question your coaches, who go to clinic after clinic and watch film after film after film and want to win just as bad, it's just wrong. Year around. Their season never ends.
And it's not leadership. I expect more from someone who receives individual awards at the awards banquet.

All season long he's been on here telling us what we don't know and how wrong we were.

He's a player, and will be gone from this program after next year.

The program will live on, but he will be a hazsbeen. Just like us. He's not the first guy to wear those shoes.

Seems to me like he thinks its all about him and the other 10 guys on the field. Russell Football is bigger than any 1 player, person or coach. Ivan McGlone included.

It was here before them and it will be here after they're gone.

this has nothing to do with what i was saying?? i was just saying we should have kicked a field goal...coach mcglone is a great coach better than anyone around here...all you guys have done all year is diss our secondary and told us how we would never get anywhere with our secondary...but if it was so bad why didnt coach morris change it? because it was the best we had..he felt the people that were there could get the job done and throughout the season we got better
Check My Posts. I never dissed anyone on the team or the coaching.
DevilsWin Wrote:Check My Posts. I never dissed anyone on the team or the coaching.

im not talking about you...im talking about everyone in general..
Yes! Congrats Breathitt Co!!
Way to represent the mountains!!! Good job Breathitt
RedDevilRB Wrote:im not talking about you...im talking about everyone in general..
For what its worth, I thought the defense and the secondary in particular played a pretty darn good game. If the ball takes a couple of different bounces then the play calling is not an issue and Russell would have won. The defense held a very good offensive team well below what they normally put up as far as yards and points. But the ball doesn't always bounce your way. Its always tough to lose a game, especially for the seniors. Those of you returning have a bright future. Get ready for next year and hopefullly a rematch with Breathitt in the playoffs.
Really wanted to play Russell again, but still, bring on the Bobcats![/quote]
me to badly
but come on bobcats
this should be a good matchup and game
FBALL Wrote:For what its worth, I thought the defense and the secondary in particular played a pretty darn good game. If the ball takes a couple of different bounces then the play calling is not an issue and Russell would have won. The defense held a very good offensive team well below what they normally put up as far as yards and points. But the ball doesn't always bounce your way. Its always tough to lose a game, especially for the seniors. Those of you returning have a bright future. Get ready for next year and hopefullly a rematch with Breathitt in the playoffs.

yes breathitt was averaging 50points a game and russell held them to 20, thats a pretty darn good job
It is easy for all of us to make calls after the fact, I second guess myself aftercalls all the time. When we loose I tell my kids it was becasue of me, I made some bad calls. Doesnt take the L away or give you a win, but it makes right-right and that is what matters. Players- give your all !!!!!!!!. coaches- keep the boys learning and coach what you have, do your best and the rest to GOD!!!!
Romans 14:11
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:It is easy for all of us to make calls after the fact, I second guys myself aftercalls all the time. When we loose I tell my kids it was becasue of me, I made some bad calls. Doesnt take the L away or give you a win, but it makes right-right and that is what matters. Players- give your all !!!!!!!!. coaches- keep the boys learning and coach what you have, do your best and the rest to GOD!!!!

Amen brother and that what everyoen should do!
let me put my 2 cents in on the secondary this year, was the secondary young and inexperienced this year? YES! did they show their inexperience some this year? YES! was I critical of some of the play calling and how they performed during some of the games? YES! BUT, did they improve over the season? YES very much so. I know it is easy for us HASBEENS to sit in the stands and be critical of how they are performing and what they need to be doing during the game, but remember we are talking about 15,16,and 17 y/o KIDS that are trying to make not just their parents but their fans proud of them and that is a lot of pressure for these kids. I for one am proud for what they accomplished (especially since know one knew what to expect) this year. So just remember that most of the secondary (if not all) will be back next year. GOOD LUCK and work hard this off season and be ready next year!!!!
We lost what 26 seniors, had 5 returning senior starters. I would say that is impressive for a team, to do that. I also want to point out that we are getting use to winning and advancing. At what point is our kids rewarded for winning, while not making the state game. Yea I know we as fans put high expectations on our football team, but come on guys/gals, when is having a winning season the highlite, when is winning the regular season district the highlite, when is beating the other teams in the district championship the highlite, when is making the GREAT 8 the highlite, when is making the Fantastic 4 the highlite???? At what point can we look at our kids and say....You know,,,we are proud of you beyond everygame you win, thank you for playing and allowing us to watch you grow,mature and learn to grow as young men. I am thankful for the boys and the games I get to see. Thank You for a wonderful year once again. We love you guys.
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
congrats
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:We lost what 26 seniors, had 5 returning senior starters. I would say that is impressive for a team, to do that. I also want to point out that we are getting use to winning and advancing. At what point is our kids rewarded for winning, while not making the state game. Yea I know we as fans put high expectations on our football team, but come on guys/gals, when is having a winning season the highlite, when is winning the regular season district the highlite, when is beating the other teams in the district championship the highlite, when is making the GREAT 8 the highlite, when is making the Fantastic 4 the highlite???? At what point can we look at our kids and say....You know,,,we are proud of you beyond everygame you win, thank you for playing and allowing us to watch you grow,mature and learn to grow as young men. I am thankful for the boys and the games I get to see. Thank You for a wonderful year once again. We love you guys.

There was a time when it was the goal of a football team to make the playoffs. If you could make it into the playoffs that was a great accomplishment. KHSAA has taken that away from the kids. I guess now it's Louisville or nothing.
Devils had many opportunities in this game. Second play from scrimmage we fumble. Next to last drive had QB sacked and he got away from our DE. Barely missed two interecptions. Just did not make a big play like Kasey did in 05 vs Belfry.
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:It is easy for all of us to make calls after the fact, I second guys myself aftercalls all the time. When we loose I tell my kids it was becasue of me, I made some bad calls. Doesnt take the L away or give you a win, but it makes right-right and that is what matters. Players- give your all !!!!!!!!. coaches- keep the boys learning and coach what you have, do your best and the rest to GOD!!!!

That is how it should be in every sport. I heard one coach tell his players after a big loss, that as bad as it hurts now, the sun will come up in the morning and it will be a new day.

Nice post Big "D".
Rumor is one of starting LBS got headbutted by a teammate before the game to get fired up and that caused the concussion. Not sure how true it is.
Sounds similar to Ted Ginn injury in BCS title game last year?
RHS78Champs Wrote:Rumor is one of starting LBS got headbutted by a teammate before the game to get fired up and that caused the concussion. Not sure how true it is.
Sounds similar to Ted Ginn injury in BCS title game last year?
What concussion? What team?
DevilsWin Wrote:What concussion? What team?

If I recall correctly one of our starting LBs went out early in the game according to the radio announcers. I watched them standing in line to go down the steps and there were a couple of players bashing helmets very hard just before they went down.
Kamron Smith one of our good sophomore linebackers. #59 I think. He tried to play in the first half but could not go in the second half.
He will learn for next year.
Are they any of you Russell fans that have a copy of this game on film??? I would love to watch it... PM me if you do... Thanks...
RHS78Champs Wrote:Kamron Smith one of our good sophomore linebackers. #59 I think. He tried to play in the first half but could not go in the second half.

he was head butted by Adam Foster before the game
DEVIL89 Wrote:let me put my 2 cents in on the secondary this year, was the secondary young and inexperienced this year? YES! did they show their inexperience some this year? YES! was I critical of some of the play calling and how they performed during some of the games? YES! BUT, did they improve over the season? YES very much so. I know it is easy for us HASBEENS to sit in the stands and be critical of how they are performing and what they need to be doing during the game, but remember we are talking about 15,16,and 17 y/o KIDS that are trying to make not just their parents but their fans proud of them and that is a lot of pressure for these kids. I for one am proud for what they accomplished (especially since know one knew what to expect) this year. So just remember that most of the secondary (if not all) will be back next year. GOOD LUCK and work hard this off season and be ready next year!!!!
Well said!!! I agree 100%.
highschoolfootballfan Wrote:he was head butted by Adam Foster before the game

Why would he be head butting another player? If he wants to head butt someone come up in the stands and head butt that guy that sits behind me and yells at number 88 all game long.