Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Predictions for Powell county football '07
F.N.L. Wrote:IMO both launchpad and middee are making corect statements! If I need to go in depth, get back to me. Big Grin
Are you quoting as yourself or AS THE WOLFE(LOL)Cool
RIP_28 Wrote:Are you quoting as yourself or AS THE WOLFE(LOL)Cool

As myself. Have you heard anything on Estill? Heard they were the best they have been.:confused:
F.N.L. Wrote:As myself. Have you heard anything on Estill? Heard they were the best they have been.:confused:

they have a good backfield. baber(i think) is their fullback, and ben benedict is their tailback. they r both hard runners but ben is the workhorse of the 2. idk about bein the best they have been. they was pretty awesome when they had matt richardson, i think is his name. i think it will be a toss up with powell though.
I don't think you guys should be so quick to mark Cawood as a win. Their new coach is a hell of a defensive coordinator, and they will absolutley knock your brains out. They will be a disciplined team this year.
Who are the scrimmages that Powell Co has this fall?
I Rule The World Wrote:I don't think you guys should be so quick to mark Cawood as a win. Their new coach is a hell of a defensive coordinator, and they will absolutley knock your brains out. They will be a disciplined team this year.

I will agree Cawood has a very good looking team. Have seen them practice.
VLW53 Wrote:I will agree Cawood has a very good looking team. Have seen them practice.
Boy, You guys sure like to get an EARLY SCOUTING REPORT.
Watching practices, Going to passing leagues. Alot need to be having CLOSED PRACTICES it looks like.
RIP_28 Wrote:Boy, You guys sure like to get an EARLY SCOUTING REPORT.
Watching practices, Going to passing leagues. Alot need to be having CLOSED PRACTICES it looks like.
lol... VLM I think Rip just sounds scared or jealous... not sure what his deal is, but I personally find it hilarious....
NEERSFAN2270 Wrote:lol... VLM I think Rip just sounds scared or jealous... not sure what his deal is, but I personally find it hilarious....

You guys need to get off the tit for tat deals. The boys are the one's playing the game. Why would anyone be jealous or scared on here? You should be jealous of the kids on the field playing the game!!!!! They are the one's who have busted their butts to get where they are at. Too many Downtown QB,s on here IMO.
be alot better 6-4 is within reach
Gold Charger Wrote:Who are the scrimmages that Powell Co has this fall?

all i know is that they play south floyd this friday at home. but other than that idk.
bluegrassballa Wrote:they have a good backfield. baber(i think) is their fullback, and ben benedict is their tailback. they r both hard runners but ben is the workhorse of the 2. idk about bein the best they have been. they was pretty awesome when they had matt richardson, i think is his name. i think it will be a toss up with powell though.

They were AWESOME in 1995 when they went 9-3. They got beat out of the playoffs by Danville who lost to Breathitt in the semi-finals that year. And of course, Estill played Breathitt as well. That team gave up only 73 pts. THE WHOLE YEAR, that is 6.0833 pts per game for those who would like to be technical. :Clap:
i believe they will have a pretty good season with whitaker but i am concerned with their depth and their first opponent even though it is only a second yr program is much approved. They have 3 possible d1 recruits and they have a stud who is 6'5 240 and runs 4.8 40. Then they have another running back who is 5'11 about 195, benches 300 with a consistent 4.4 40. Then on both sides of the ball they are averaging 281 across the board so this really does concern me but i expect the pirates to run away with this one just because it's a second yr program and they shouldnt even stay on the field with them. Athletes dont win games football players win games.
OLDTIMER#1 Wrote:They were AWESOME in 1995 when they went 9-3. They got beat out of the playoffs by Danville who lost to Breathitt in the semi-finals that year. And of course, Estill played Breathitt as well. That team gave up only 73 pts. THE WHOLE YEAR, that is 6.0833 pts per game for those who would like to be technical. :Clap:

Correction on my mistake!! :o The 95 team gave up 12 pts. per game. The year total was around 160.
OLDTIMER#1 Wrote:Correction on my mistake!! :o The 95 team gave up 12 pts. per game. The year total was around 160.
They were pretty good that year there old timer I do agree.
Big Andar was a hoss and Hoover Darrell is a hell of a football coach.
They lost to Rock, Breathitt and Danville. Breathitt did beat them 40-0.(lol)
But it was a war for a half. Very tough Estill team that year, Could have beat Danville.
Breathitt was 1 of the top 5 teams in the state that year in any class.Big Grin
jb05 Wrote:i believe they will have a pretty good season with whitaker but i am concerned with their depth and their first opponent even though it is only a second yr program is much approved. They have 3 possible d1 recruits and they have a stud who is 6'5 240 and runs 4.8 40. Then they have another running back who is 5'11 about 195, benches 300 with a consistent 4.4 40. Then on both sides of the ball they are averaging 281 across the board so this really does concern me but i expect the pirates to run away with this one just because it's a second yr program and they shouldnt even stay on the field with them. Athletes dont win games football players win games.
I agree, Powell don't need to overlook them or anyone else. I believe Jackson co. gets outcoached in this one.
RIP_28 Wrote:They were pretty good that year there old timer I do agree.
Big Andar was a hoss and Hoover Darrell is a hell of a football coach.
They lost to Rock, Breathitt and Danville. Breathitt did beat them 40-0.(lol)
But it was a war for a half. Very tough Estill team that year, Could have beat Danville.
Breathitt was 1 of the top 5 teams in the state that year in any class.Big Grin

The score was 41-6. :mad: The score at half was 14-6. :ChairHit: Then Breathitt started playing those pin stripe uniforms and it was all over. :moon:
if Whitaker can focus only on football then i belive they will have a great season. But that jackson co staff does have state championships on it and then Coach harris was in a dynasty with Boyle what has Whitaker done but coach Tim Couch. Plus i heard Coach harris added expericnced coaches on that staff plus last yr they only had people who have never been involved in football but they worked there butt off. They also didnt even have a field for them to practice so we will see. Line em up and let em play.
RIP_28 Wrote:I agree, Powell don't need to overlook them or anyone else. I believe Jackson co. gets outcoached in this one.

I agree....Powell has done nothing to be able to over look anyone....I wouldnt overlook Jackson County because they have a few kids that could actually go somewhere and play D-1 football....Their defensive end is 6'5, 245 lbs., and runs a 4.8 40 and benches well over 300 lbs...This kid could easily be the best defensive end in the state if he wanted to be....I'm not so sure about Whitaker because from what I hear he usually has his mind on other things besides football....This could pose as a problem for the Pirates....I also am not sure about Jackson County being out coached because I was told that Harris just added 3 pretty good assistants this year....He got 2 guys from Danville and one from Elkhorn City....Last year he had nothing but natives of the county who had no football experience what so ever...Someone said that they actually practiced on blacktop and gravel....They finally found a patch of grass to practice on this summer....From what I hear there is a lot of excitement in Jackson County this year....I would watch out for the Generals .....They may surprise you!!
jb05 Wrote:I agree....Powell has done nothing to be able to over look anyone....I wouldnt overlook Jackson County because they have a few kids that could actually go somewhere and play D-1 football....Their defensive end is 6'5, 245 lbs., and runs a 4.8 40 and benches well over 300 lbs...This kid could easily be the best defensive end in the state if he wanted to be....I'm not so sure about Whitaker because from what I hear he usually has his mind on other things besides football....This could pose as a problem for the Pirates....I also am not sure about Jackson County being out coached because I was told that Harris just added 3 pretty good assistants this year....He got 2 guys from Danville and one from Elkhorn City....Last year he had nothing but natives of the county who had no football experience what so ever...Someone said that they actually practiced on blacktop and gravel....They finally found a patch of grass to practice on this summer....From what I hear there is a lot of excitement in Jackson County this year....I would watch out for the Generals .....They may surprise you!!
I agree...I have also heard that the Brumback kid who is the defensive end, could really be a big time D-1 prospect...I have saw him on the basketball court and he really is a monster...I would really like to go and see this kid play on the gridiron....I have heard that he really has all the tools to take away half of the opposing team's offense....I talked to Todd the other night and he said his 3 new guys along with the old ones were a great addition....He said one of the Danville guys coaches the O and D line, the other coaches LB's and RB's , and the guy from Elkhorn City coaches his QB's and secondary....He also told me he had 2 running backs that could probably play somewhere....One runs about a 4.4 40 and the other just runs hard and has great hips....He also told me they had a new QB this year who could throw it a mile and was really smooth....From what I hear you are right jb05, there is a lot of excitement in Jackson County....Can't wait to see what the Generals can do in their second season....Should be exciting....Good luck to Todd, his staff, and the Generals....This bunch coud sneak right up on you if you arent carefulConfusedhh:
jb05 Wrote:I agree....Powell has done nothing to be able to over look anyone....I wouldnt overlook Jackson County because they have a few kids that could actually go somewhere and play D-1 football....Their defensive end is 6'5, 245 lbs., and runs a 4.8 40 and benches well over 300 lbs...This kid could easily be the best defensive end in the state if he wanted to be....I'm not so sure about Whitaker because from what I hear he usually has his mind on other things besides football....This could pose as a problem for the Pirates....I also am not sure about Jackson County being out coached because I was told that Harris just added 3 pretty good assistants this year....He got 2 guys from Danville and one from Elkhorn City....Last year he had nothing but natives of the county who had no football experience what so ever...Someone said that they actually practiced on blacktop and gravel....They finally found a patch of grass to practice on this summer....From what I hear there is a lot of excitement in Jackson County this year....I would watch out for the Generals .....They may surprise you!!
Mike Whitaker is 100% a 100% football coach. I have no clue to him having his mind on other things as to you refer. I can asure you he is concentrating on winning games at Powell county. Not only did he bring Tim Couch out of nowhere, He also coached at Eastern Ky. university, He had a great seasons at Corbin with a couple of 11-2 records and was responsible for the KY.-Tenn. allstar game MVP quarterback this past year from Christian co. Mike Holcomb at Breathitt was taught his offense he used to win 3 state championships by Mike Whitaker.
Only after Whitaker beat Breathitt 56-0 in '94 but then he went to Corbin.
Whitaker played for UK, transferred to Eastern where he was an All american and then went on to play for the patriots. He is a coach with many great accomplishments it sounds to me.
RIP_28 Wrote:Mike Whitaker is 100% a 100% football coach. I have no clue to him having his mind on other things as to you refer. I can asure you he is concentrating on winning games at Powell county. Not only did he bring Tim Couch out of nowhere, He also coached at Eastern Ky. university, He had a great seasons at Corbin with a couple of 11-2 records and was responsible for the KY.-Tenn. allstar game MVP quarterback this past year from Christian co. Mike Holcomb at Breathitt was taught his offense he used to win 3 state championships by Mike Whitaker.
Only after Whitaker beat Breathitt 56-0 in '94 but then he went to Corbin.
Whitaker played for UK, transferred to Eastern where he was an All american and then went on to play for the patriots. He is a coach with many great accomplishments it sounds to me.

Well said RIP!! :thumpsup: Hopefully people will ACKNOWLEDGE YOU and what you have just said. :Clap: Powell needs to overlook NO ONE........... If talk worked, sounds like Jackson Co. will be playing in the semi's. That would be GREAT, love Eastern Ky FOOTBALL!!!!!
If talk worked then powell county should be 15-0 right now rocking the bling with Tim Couch starting at quarterback. But I believe he is umm trying out for the jags. Plus with the record powell county had last yr they better be calling the bengals, steelers, and the bucs and borrowing some of those receivers so they can have other weapons do go along with Tim couch starting at quarterback in the spread . Also to say that Tim Couch came out of no where is like saying Lebron James couldn't shoot basketball as a freshman, he went to the N.F.L. Plus remember hype is something thats not real and i believe thats what Powell is going off of right now.
jb05 Wrote:If talk worked then powell county should be 15-0 right now rocking the bling with Tim Couch starting at quarterback. But I believe he is umm trying out for the jags. Plus with the record powell county had last yr they better be calling the bengals, steelers, and the bucs and borrowing some of those receivers so they can have other weapons do go along with Tim couch starting at quarterback in the spread . Also to say that Tim Couch came out of no where is like saying Lebron James couldn't shoot basketball as a freshman, he went to the N.F.L. Plus remember hype is something thats not real and i believe thats what Powell is going off of right now.
hahaha...I couldnt have said it better myself....How does an NFL QB just come out of nowhere?....That isnt something you can just teach...That is God-given talent...I wasnt doing any talking about how good they were and saying they were going to win the 3A state championship or anything, I was just saying that they have a few pretty good kids from what I can gather...I was also saying that for a second year program this could be a pretty decent team and that I wouldn't overlook them....I wasnt talking anything...I was just stating facts...The fact is that the Brumback kid is a beast....I think if you are 6'5 and 250 that makes you a very large kid....Who knows they may not even win a game but I was just saying that they have a chance with these kids from my inside source
Tim Couch came out of Hyden Ky. He came from the mountains of eastern Ky.
Mike Whitaker brought Tim Couch out of nowhere. You Jackson countians talk awefully big to have a coach from Berea(lol) and to be a second year program. I don't care if you do have a 6-5 240, Powell has a 6-3 330. Match big Elam up against him any day.
We'll see come first game.
TarHeel_Fan15 Wrote:hahaha...I couldnt have said it better myself....How does an NFL QB just come out of nowhere?....That isnt something you can just teach...That is God-given talent...I wasnt doing any talking about how good they were and saying they were going to win the 3A state championship or anything, I was just saying that they have a few pretty good kids from what I can gather...I was also saying that for a second year program this could be a pretty decent team and that I wouldn't overlook them....I wasnt talking anything...I was just stating facts...The fact is that the Brumback kid is a beast....I think if you are 6'5 and 250 that makes you a very large kid....Who knows they may not even win a game but I was just saying that they have a chance with these kids from my inside source
Ok, Whitaker's teaching had nothing to do with it. HOW DUMB.
If Tim would have had a coach that ran the football and controled the clock Tim would have never been heard of. Whitaker's offense is what enabled Tim to be able to showcase his talents. Whitaker taught Couch how to read coverages. If Couch would have been let's say at BEREA he would never have been taught anything. For every great player, There has been a great teacher. You talk about TALENT, There has been a whole lot of talent in High school football that's sitting at the house right now because they had some YAHOO as a head coach. Tim was a great talent but it took Whitaker to teach him how to use it. Whitaker taught Tim the game, BOTTOM LINE.
ALL KINDS OF TEAMS WITH A TON OF TALENT THAT NEVER MAKE THE PLAYOFFS DUE TO BAD COACHING.
RIP_28 Wrote:Ok, Whitaker's teaching had nothing to do with it. HOW DUMB.
If Tim would have had a coach that ran the football and controled the clock Tim would have never been heard of. Whitaker's offense is what enabled Tim to be able to showcase his talents. Whitaker taught Couch how to read coverages. If Couch would have been let's say at BEREA he would never have been taught anything. For every great player, There has been a great teacher. You talk about TALENT, There has been a whole lot of talent in High school football that's sitting at the house right now because they had some YAHOO as a head coach. Tim was a great talent but it took Whitaker to teach him how to use it. Whitaker taught Tim the game, BOTTOM LINE.
ALL KINDS OF TEAMS WITH A TON OF TALENT THAT NEVER MAKE THE PLAYOFFS DUE TO BAD COACHING.
Yes, I agree...There is no doubt in my mind that he coached him up a little bit...What I am saying is that a coach can't give a kid an arm....God gave Tim that rocket that's attached to his body...That can't be taught...If it could every coach would make their QB an NFL prospect....You are 100% right when you say Coach Harris is from Berea but what you probably aren't aware of is that he wears a state championship ring....I'm pretty sure that he was the OC at Boyle County a few years back when they won the state championship...So if you are implying that Coach Harris is a yahoo, you had better do some research on that...I dont think Boyle lets yahoos on their staff:thumpsup:
RIP_28 Wrote:Ok, Whitaker's teaching had nothing to do with it. HOW DUMB.

How many state titles has Whitaker won? That necessarily don't make him a bad coach, but when you have a system you can implement with athletes, you can be successful. It don't matter where you coach or where you have coached, you always want to teach a kid the fundamentals of the game and help them be successful in life.

IMHO - Whitaker may be successful, but I do believe that any guy who so desires to teach/coach and kids listen and perform, anyone can win. Any one who doesn't want to teach/coach will lose. simple as that my friend.
Haha im not even from Jackson County so lets get things straight i was just stating facts and when yall can get a championship ring down there in powell county come holla at me cuz i rock something that 85 percent of the state wants. So gets ya mind right.
I was told coach Harris worked with the freshman some at Boyle and really didn't have any responsibility at all. Just what I was told comming from Danville. Iwas at Rowan co. when Coach Harris and Berea came to town, IT WASN'T PRETTY. WE RUSHED FOR 400 YARDS AGAINST THEM. He was never the offensive coordinator at Boyle, never.