•  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Final: Johnson Central 71 Paintsville 62
eaglehoops Wrote:I was just told by a member of the JC girls team that coach Starns was gonna be painted up for tomorrows game vs. Pville... ala UT's coach, this is awesome. I wonder if Bill Mike is gonna do this? :rockon:

This is true. They players also wanted to paint Darren Rice, and his wife. But all in a joking fasion! I wonder if he will wax the hair on his chest... now that would be funny! :lmao: Starns is a great guy.:thumpsup:
eaglehoops Wrote:Same here... can't wait to see it, I wonder if the coaching staff of the girls team will do the same for the boys? Anyone know if it would happen?

I really can't see Phillip Wireman getting painted.... LOL. What a show that would be!:popcorn:
In an earler thread, It said Paintsville and Shelby Valley only contenders for 15th Region Title. Just goes to show anyone can win on any given night!!! Been proved in prior years. Congrats to the Eagles and celebrate!!! You deserve it.
Mr.Mister Wrote:I really can't see Phillip Wireman getting painted.... LOL. What a show that would be!:popcorn:

The students would love it... You never know... what about the asst. coaches for both teams this would be awesome! Who are the asst. coaches for both teams anyway? My mind has went totally blank!
The coaches got out coached and the players got out played. THATS WHAT HAPPENED, IN THAT ORDER. Congratulations Eagles.
BlueBells Wrote:The coaches got out coached and the players got out played. THATS WHAT HAPPENED, IN THAT ORDER. Congratulations Eagles.
h

That's what it all boiled down too bluebells. The team that wants it the most will win and tonight JC wanted this game more than Pville did. Pville looked like they didn't even want to play early on and BMR was at a loss for words. He's a great coach but I really don't think he likes coaching this group for some reason.
eaglehoops Wrote:The students would love it... You never know... what about the asst. coaches for both teams this would be awesome! Who are the asst. coaches for both teams anyway? My mind has went totally blank!

I know for central.....

Head Coach: Mark Starns
Head Jv & Assnt.: Tommy Mckenzie
Jv & Assnt.: Darren Rice
Head Freshman & Assnt.: Jason Knott
Freshman & Assnt.: Randy Ward
Assnt. Coach: Ben Stephens

Then...
Head Coach: Bill Mike Runyon
Head JV & Assnt.: J.R. Vanhoose
Pville was down by 3 with 1 min and some odd seconds to go, had a chance and it slipped right thru the paws when JD Vanhoose did that stupid foul, sent Crum to the line, he made 2 which made Pville down by 5. At that point, I got my coat and nephew and started thru the crowd to get a head start.
eaglehoops Wrote:I was just told by a member of the JC girls team that coach Starns was gonna be painted up for tomorrows game vs. Pville... ala UT's coach, this is awesome. I wonder if Bill Mike is gonna do this? :rockon:

Ah cute, I saw Sheldon Clarks coach at the game tonight, he said he had some family members coming to the Paintsville vs. Eagle girls game tormorrow night. Starns better be painted up real good, maybe a wig and some dark glasses.

:thatsfunn
Congrats JC...
Good game Eagles, you needed this one. Maybe this will get you started on a tourny run.
[QUOTE=BlueBells]Ah cute, I saw Sheldon Clarks coach at the game tonight, he said he had some family members coming to the Paintsville vs. Eagle girls game tormorrow night. Starns better be painted up real good, maybe a wig and some dark glasses.

With your recent posts, making fun of people seems to be your THING. I Hope you are a kid and not a grownup. Lots of Class.Rolleyes
My thoughts......Paintsville came out Shootin treys....Van and Blake hit one apiece but they were 2 for 21 on treys alone in the first half!!! They went inside only five times in the first period and were 3-3 and got fouled twice.
After that, I went to pop, popcorn. came back to watch us get down by 23 and our entire coaching staff just sat there looking as if they would rather be shaving their butts.
Then...all on their own, Paintsville started getting more agressive and got the game going in the tempo that they play best at. JC started getting flustered and the lead kept getting smaller and smaller very quickly.....Paintsville got to within 7 points with over 4 minutes left, and for some ungodly reason we called a timeout from the bench!!! I guess we just can't stand prosperity?? JC was allowed to regroup and it cost us probably the biggest comeback in our history!
I asked an asst. after the game why we called the timeout? He said..."we were getting winded.....sometimes you just have to call a timeout". What mularky!!! Didn't they think JCHS was getting winded? When you get tired your shots not falling is the first thing to go....that wasn't us!!! That was JC. Our boys made a game out of it by heart, determination, guts, and adrenaline!!! The timeout clearly changed the momentum!
Personally, I just don't think we can coach a team that is suited for a running game.
I know there have been many wins by doing this, but IMHO, I think it might have more to do with just the kids.
I am not saying anything bad about our coaches, cause I feel we have the best. I just feel like a Danny Haney type would know how to get these particular kids on their game night in and night out.
Redneck Wrote:Well they called an intentional foul on Grimm I think it was after Justin Murray stood there and threw elbows then went flyin floppin around when nobody even touched him. I don't remember the other one, I know there should have been one when JD stole the ball and broke away then got rammed into the wall. The Murray boy is a hot head.

HAHA that is funny.!

But look at what u said JD stole the ball. which helps my theory of him being a good defender... LOL
I'd like to get a definition and/or clarification on "flyin' floppin'" from Redneck....Smile
IISnakE Wrote:I'd like to get a definition and/or clarification on "flyin' floppin'" from Redneck....Smile

Haha he seems to make up pretty good words.
Do you know him? He's hilarious! See... we really can laugh at ourselves and even though we'd rather do whatever it takes to win... we can respect a great effort, find ways to get past a setback, regroup, and come out swinging again!
Redneck is several generations deep in Tiger history and thankfully has mellowed somewhat... he says some things that are classic... but then he was coached by some "classics" too... so he's full of 'em... "Flyin' Floppin'"... if this site allowed or offered live camera feeds... I would guarantee that Redneck would offer up a "physical demonstration"...LOL!!!
IISnakE Wrote:Do you know him? He's hilarious! See... we really can laugh at ourselves and even though we'd rather do whatever it takes to win... we can respect a great effort, find ways to get past a setback, regroup, and come out swinging again!
Redneck is several generations deep in Tiger history and thankfully has mellowed somewhat... he says some things that are classic... but then he was coached by some "classics" too... so he's full of 'em... "Flyin' Floppin'"... if this site allowed or offered live camera feeds... I would guarantee that Redneck would offer up a "physical demonstration"...LOL!!!
I talked to him befor the game.....I would almost bet that he has already Flyin Flopped out by now!
The Guru Wrote:My thoughts......Paintsville came out Shootin treys....Van and Blake hit one apiece but they were 2 for 21 on treys alone in the first half!!! They went inside only five times in the first period and were 3-3 and got fouled twice.
After that, I went to pop, popcorn. came back to watch us get down by 23 and our entire coaching staff just sat there looking as if they would rather be shaving their butts.
Then...all on their own, Paintsville started getting more agressive and got the game going in the tempo that they play best at. JC started getting flustered and the lead kept getting smaller and smaller very quickly.....Paintsville got to within 7 points with over 4 minutes left, and for some ungodly reason we called a timeout from the bench!!! I guess we just can't stand prosperity?? JC was allowed to regroup and it cost us probably the biggest comeback in our history!
I asked an asst. after the game why we called the timeout? He said..."we were getting winded.....sometimes you just have to call a timeout". What mularky!!! Didn't they think JCHS was getting winded? When you get tired your shots not falling is the first thing to go....that wasn't us!!! That was JC. Our boys made a game out of it by heart, determination, guts, and adrenaline!!! The timeout clearly changed the momentum!
Personally, I just don't think we can coach a team that is suited for a running game.
I know there have been many wins by doing this, but IMHO, I think it might have more to do with just the kids.
I am not saying anything bad about our coaches, cause I feel we have the best. I just feel like a Danny Haney type would know how to get these particular kids on their game night in and night out.

Guru, I understand your arguments -- I wasn't at the game, and am pretty upset about the loss, but I want to remind you of the 28 point/3rd quarter deficit the Tigers came back on against South Floyd in 2002 regional semifinals.

As for the Tigers: I believe in these boys, and I love this coaching staff. I know they have what it takes, and I hope that they pull it together, rally around one another, and play like they can coming down the stretch -- perhaps a loss at home against your arch rivals is something that can be used positively.
WOW! Must have been one heck of a game.
My Tigers couldnt throw one in the ocean if they was in a 12 foot dingy. I think this loss could be a good thing for the team as strange as that may sound. Right before tourney time they have been shown they have to play or get beat. Losses can help a team more than a blow out win can on occasion.
He stepped or run over somebody to get into the passing lane, either way it was a hard foul. Anytime someone fouls like that it is intentional. I do agree that the foul may not have been on the Smith kid.
Nice win for JC. This will make the 57th district tourney much more interesting.
Congrats to the Eagles , wonder if the Welch kid will be at pratice today ?
IRISH4 Wrote:That's what I was about to ask...lol. Anyway, hats off to the Eagles. I guess for once the higher ups stuck their nose out of Starns face and allowed him to do what he was hired to do....coach. They deserved to win apparently, but what is it going to take to make the Tigers wake up and play a full 32mins of basketball? They should've won the All A but gave it away for the most part, and now losing this game to a struggling JC squad. Hopefully the Black and Gold can turn it around and use this win as a stepping stone. Would love to see a few upsets here and there during the District/Region tournaments. As for Paintsville....I'd drop them out of the Mt. Top 10 until they SHOW that they deserve to be there. Good luck to both teams.

In my opinion, anyone that can coach doesn't let a team come back from a 23 point deficit in a high school basketball game, where there's no shot clock or anything like that. There are things you can do in high school basketball to prevent those types of comebacks, and for whatever reason JC didn't employ those tactics in the 4th quarter when the Tigers were rallying. I was shocked listening to this on the radio! Great save and escape by the Eagles, though!
.houshmandzadeh. Wrote:HAHA that is funny.!

But look at what u said JD stole the ball. which helps my theory of him being a good defender... LOL

Anybody with basketball brains could have picked that ball off...
CheerVeteran Wrote:In my opinion, anyone that can coach doesn't let a team come back from a 23 point deficit in a high school basketball game, where there's no shot clock or anything like that. There are things you can do in high school basketball to prevent those types of comebacks, and for whatever reason JC didn't employ those tactics in the 4th quarter when the Tigers were rallying. I was shocked listening to this on the radio! Great save and escape by the Eagles, though!

I don't think having a team come back on you means you can't coach. I'm a firm believer in not holding the ball too much because you have to play to win not play to not lose. Holding the ball only allows you opponent to trap and press more which would allow them to make a comeback. Paintsville just decided to play like they were cabaple in the 4th quarter it wasn't that JC wasn't making adjustments it was just that Pville was playing like their season depended on it.
IISnakE Wrote:I'd like to get a definition and/or clarification on "flyin' floppin'" from Redneck....Smile

LOL, I meant to put a comma between the two words... But I like that now that I think about it, maybe start usin that more often...
I really thought Paintsville would win this one. Sometimes you forget these are still kids and anything can happen. Great win for JC and hopefully an eye opening loss for the Tigers.
This was a great game from both teams. The Eagles just seemed to want it just a little more! They played great team ball. I was really impressed with Mike Conley. He really stepped up last night and made some much needed early shots and got the team fired up. Congrats to all at JCHS on a great win!!!:1:
  •  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next