Poll: Who wins
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Whitley Co.
43.33%
Corbin
56.67%
* You voted for this item.

•  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
#5 Corbin @ Whitley County 8/21
under_armour Wrote:What will be the biggest question mark for Corbin, the qb or the defensive backs "cb and safety" position. Ive seen the secondary in 7 on 7 and they look pretty good.

I've heard the quarterback and defensive backs are strong points.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:^
Im satisfied that if Corbins DB's can contain Whitleys receivers and stop Woods from taking off early and often, then theyre shouldn't be any concern about them being able to do the same to anyone in 3A.

Which teams in 3 A would have the strongest passing attacks? Boyle? Central? Lexington Catholic?
A 5A school should absolutely wipe the ground with a average to good 3A team. I don't know why anyone would think Corbin should be a favorite coming into the game. A Corbin win, would be a small upset in my eyes, and a nice start to the season.
The Spread Wrote:A 5A school should absolutely wipe the ground with a average to good 3A team. I don't know why anyone would think Corbin should be a favorite coming into the game. A Corbin win, would be a small upset in my eyes, and a nice start to the season.

"should" being the key word but that ain't the case in Kentucky.The 3 A team has way more players on the roster than the 5 A team including some of the 5 A team's playersConfusednicker: ...teams like Mayfield also didn't get the memo they are supposed to lose to 5 A and 6 A teams.
Corbin pulls away with ease..... Qb is coming along fast... OL is better than I had expected. DL is as good as any in 3A. Very solid at RB -3deep. Awfully athletic at CB and S. WR and LB are the Low Points as of now....
The Spread Wrote:A 5A school should absolutely wipe the ground with a average to good 3A team. I don't know why anyone would think Corbin should be a favorite coming into the game. A Corbin win, would be a small upset in my eyes, and a nice start to the season.
To say Corbin is an average 3A team is an understatment. Corbin beat 2 teams last year that beat Whitley. If jv games are any indications, the last 2 yrs the Redhounds have rolled them.
The wr are getting better. Mitchell was unbelievable in the 7 on 7 this past weekend at central hardin. Barton has improved and AJ Moore is as good as advertised. Sevier is an unbelievable blocker at tightend and has improved his hands. Also got some good reps out of a couple freshman who will get quality reps. Sams, Brock, and Jewell will lead the lb imo. Ellison cb and Murphy s have been interception machines for corbin in the defensive backfield.
HighViz Wrote:Corbin pulls away with ease..... Qb is coming along fast... OL is better than I had expected. DL is as good as any in 3A. Very solid at RB -3deep. Awfully athletic at CB and S. WR and LB are the Low Points as of now....

The mediocre at best defense from last year that couldn't defend a pass and choked in the playoffs is now as good as any in 3 A and has awfully athletic corner back and safety ?
I didn't stutter PJ
However I did say the DL = Defensive Line was as good as anyone in 3a.
HighViz Wrote:I didn't stutter PJ

actually you did. we'll soon see this dominating defense on the field.
pjdoug Wrote:The mediocre at best defense from last year that couldn't defend a pass and choked in the playoffs is now as good as any in 3 A and has awfully athletic corner back and safety ?

One of the corners (ellison) had alot of varsity minutes last year even started a couple of games and has had about 4 int in the 7 on 7's this year. The safety (murphy) played minutes last year at corner and has had close to 10 int in 7 on 7 this year. Both kids had pick 6 last year as reserves and look like they are adjusting well to the starting roles. Both are jrs this year.
under_armour Wrote:One of the corners (ellison) had alot of varsity minutes last year even started a couple of games and has had about 4 int in the 7 on 7's this year. The safety (murphy) played minutes last year at corner and has had close to 10 int in 7 on 7 this year. Both kids had pick 6 last year as reserves and look like they are adjusting well to the starting roles. Both are jrs this year.

:disappoint: now that's scary.
Where did I stutter? I don't get it.....
HighViz Wrote:Where did I stutter? I don't get it.....

You stuttered while you were blowing the tater sack up.in other words you're full of hot air.
I agree. I think the Hounds are gonna be a lot better than you think. Tommy is a great coach believe it or not. Ask Dudley. He has had a full year and off season. I still think Corbin's record will rely heavily upon their QB play. I think Sizemore will be a dandy
But it might take him a game or 3 to get the feel of the game.
Corbin 28
Whitley 14
The biggest advantage Whitley has in this game is its the first game of the year and they run an offense that's hard to defend. Chappell needs to use that to his advantage and come out with every play in the book while staying consistent enough to not let Corbin keep the ball.
Corbin wins easily and hopes are again crushed. 42-7. 0-1.
I think Corbin will rely heavy on its run game. Not to keep pressure off Sizemore, but bc its that good. With saying that Sizemore has one of the best wr in 3A to throw to in Aj Moore and Mitchell has been looking outstanding. Corbins def will play a huge roll in this game, and if jv games are any indication this jr class of Corbin has beaten whitley co. 3 times the last 2 years by at least 2 td each game. This game wont be a blowout. It will be a slobber knocker.
I think this game will actually be an entertaining game but the score won't indicate how good of a game it is. Of course, you never can tell what will happen in big games. Take 2005 for instance. Yes Corbin was missing a lot of key players but Williamsburg was so jacked up to finally get Corbin at home. Most would admit that on paper, Corbin was probably a 3 touchdown favorite, yet Williamsburg still won.

I think that Whitley will be extremely pumped up to finally get a shot at the Hounds. I'm not saying that Corbin is above any school but the fact is, in this area, most schools are in Corbin's shadow when it comes to football. That in itself will provide extra motivation.

I think that Corbin will probably win the game 34-14 or 34-20 but it will be a good one and hopefully the start to a great rivalry. I can't wait.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:The biggest advantage Whitley has in this game is its the first game of the year and they run an offense that's hard to defend. Chappell needs to use that to his advantage and come out with every play in the book while staying consistent enough to not let Corbin keep the ball.

I agree with that and most agree Corbin is the favorite,but they are going to have to play to beat Whitley County.
under_armour Wrote:I think Corbin will rely heavy on its run game. Not to keep pressure off Sizemore, but bc its that good. With saying that Sizemore has one of the best wr in 3A to throw to in Aj Moore and Mitchell has been looking outstanding. Corbins def will play a huge roll in this game, and if jv games are any indication this jr class of Corbin has beaten whitley co. 3 times the last 2 years by at least 2 td each game. This game wont be a blowout. It will be a slobber knocker.

huge roll of what? slobber knocker?sounds unsanitary Confusednicker:. J V is never an indication.
^
If JV and Middle School football were ever any indication of how the kids will do when they got to Varsity there were several years Whitley should have been undefeated. I think the middle school only lost 3 or 4 games in about a 7 year span back in our day.
BigRedFan24 Wrote:To say Corbin is an average 3A team is an understatment. Corbin beat 2 teams last year that beat Whitley. If jv games are any indications, the last 2 yrs the Redhounds have rolled them.

Take it easy. I'm a Corbin fan and alum. Just tempering some expectation after losing 20 seniors. The Whitley game would be a nice start, but the sights have to be set on getting back to Central. WC is just a team inbetween that goal. I understand that we beat 2 teams last year that beat Whitley, but I'd say Whitley was below "average" last year, right?

All the tools are in place. Kids are a hard working bunch, we have a staff who will put them in positions to win, and we have a lot of raw talent...all over the field.

In august, being average isn't a slight on the Hounds, or anyone else. It's a starting point. Lots of lot of work to do, 1 game at time. I think it's a pretty honest assessment. Until someone can crack Central/ Belfry, we cannot say we are among the elite.

All in all, this game will be a nice first outing for both teams, but neither should define their seasons.
Tommy G Defense vs Jason C Offense!!!!! Not a fan of Tommy, Think Jason is a very sound Signal caller but I have to go with the red hounds by 3 24-21!!!! But pulling for Whitley
BigRedFan24 Wrote:The wr are getting better. Mitchell was unbelievable in the 7 on 7 this past weekend at central hardin. Barton has improved and AJ Moore is as good as advertised. Sevier is an unbelievable blocker at tightend and has improved his hands. Also got some good reps out of a couple freshman who will get quality reps. Sams, Brock, and Jewell will lead the lb imo. Ellison cb and Murphy s have been interception machines for corbin in the defensive backfield.

What about French? I know that Coach Greer was very high on him, will he play defense or will he be on the offensive side as RB?
I love first games of the year when nobody can make a sound argument Confusednicker:
It makes the guessing games that much more fun.

If you had to choose, would you think this will be a high scoring game or a short close one? I could see it going either way, but at the tempo Whitley plays now, it would be hard to think anything other than a shootout would happen.
Whitley has to come up with a way to stop Lambert from completely blowing up their passing game. This kid is a total beast on defense. Probably the best defensive ends in SEKY. They will have to double or even triple team him. 6'4 265 and strong as a ox. A motor that just wont stop.
if Whitley can control him their passing game is going to be in big trouble. Want matter how young the db's are if Woods doesn't have time to throw he cant pick them apart.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Living The Dream!!
panther nation Wrote:Whitley has to come up with a way to stop Lambert from completely blowing up their passing game. This kid is a total beast on defense. Probably the best defensive ends in SEKY. They will have to double or even triple team him. 6'4 265 and strong as a ox. A motor that just wont stop.
if Whitley can control him their passing game is going to be in big trouble. Want matter how young the db's are if Woods doesn't have time to throw he cant pick them apart.

I think Whitley has a big strong lineman that might be able to slow him down and they have quite a bit of speed in the backfield.so the key for Whitley is definitely to stop that big mean defensive line from wreaking havoc Smile
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/4253575/dawson-powers The only video I can find lol
  •  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next