Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prestonsburg Blackcats 2014
Anyone know what the backfield will look like for the Blackcats? And more importantly the o line and defense? Any changes?
On the O-line everyone is back except left tackle Eric Collins. Look for White, Holbrook, Click, Kidd or Newsome to fill the spot. The backfield will be the same with Frazier, Jarrell, Reed and the other two Jarrell's splitting duties. Don't be surprised to see Marcum get quite a few carries throughout the season. On defense they have to replace Wallace at right defensive end. You'll see Walker move from defensive tackle or E. Jarrell move up from outside linebacker.
What happened to the Ousley kid he looked good at times in the backfield? He was a linebacker on defense I think also.
Brancher1978 Wrote:What happened to the Ousley kid he looked good at times in the backfield? He was a linebacker on defense I think also.

He is still there. Frasure will be the feature back, but I think we will have several interchangeable pieces to go along with him. I think Ousley is best suited for short yardage situations he is load to bring down. You will probably see more of either Jarrell, Reed, or Marcum simply to have that change of pace back. I love the way Ousley runs though, tough kid.
64SUR Wrote:I hope Leslie County win 2A.But if they don't I will pick Prestonsburg Blackcats ....64SUR :Cheerlead

Come on SUR, pick the Breds and set your heart free!:Clap:
#1 Blackcat Fan Wrote:He is still there. Frasure will be the feature back, but I think we will have several interchangeable pieces to go along with him. I think Ousley is best suited for short yardage situations he is load to bring down. You will probably see more of either Jarrell, Reed, or Marcum simply to have that change of pace back. I love the way Ousley runs though, tough kid.

What will the defense look like and who will play what and who will be key players?
Brancher1978 Wrote:What will the defense look like and who will play what and who will be key players?

I just wrote about 4 paragraphs to answer your question, but I'm at work and done it over a 2 hour period. When I hit the submit button it had logged me out. I will get back with you on that asap.
strawberryshakeman Wrote:Come on SUR, pick the Breds and set your heart free!:Clap:

my heart is free and leslie county is my sleeper team. Prestonsburg i think play at leslie this year.Go Eagles. :Cheerlead
I hope I am in attendance when they play hazard this year..
#1 Blackcat Fan Wrote:I just wrote about 4 paragraphs to answer your question, but I'm at work and done it over a 2 hour period. When I hit the submit button it had logged me out. I will get back with you on that asap.

Any word on how the defense will look this year and who will be the key guys? Thanks #1 Blackcats Fan
Brancher1978 Wrote:Any word on how the defense will look this year and who will be the key guys? Thanks #1 Blackcats Fan

I will keep it short. In my opinion (if we stay healthy) our defense could be our strong point this year. They looked very good the last half of the season last year. With the exception of the Somerset game this defense didn't allow over 16 points the last 6 games of the year.

The coaching staff done a wonderful job bringing along a young defense last year. We only lose Wallace from last years D. We return our top 3 tacklers in Goble, Ousley, and White. I don't really want to get into naming names because I don't think any one or two players just stand out alone. This group simply plays well as a unit. I think we are solid at each position across the field. I'm really looking forward to watching this years team. I have high expectations for this group.
The Blackcats are close to being able to avoid playing players both ways. Ousley, Goble and White playing only on the defensive side of the ball, or with sporadic offensive plays will help tremendously.
I can't wait too see p-burg @ hazard this year...
I'm hearing we have close to 40 out as of now.
Does that 40 include upcoming freshmen?
hawg laig Wrote:Does that 40 include upcoming freshmen?

I'm not sure hawg.
Jarrell should put up some big numbers this year
What all do they have coming back ??
Iron Horse Wrote:What all do they have coming back ??

All but 1 starter returns.
#1 Blackcat Fan Wrote:All but 1 starter returns.

Thats a good sign.Just glad prestonsburg travel to Leslie county. We may have a shots. Confusederiously:
#1 Blackcat Fan Wrote:All but 1 starter returns.

That is impressive. I dont remember off the top of my head, but who beat prestonsburg in the playoffs last year, and what was the score. Im thinking it was regional finals, was it somerset.
killbilly usmc Wrote:That is impressive. I dont remember off the top of my head, but who beat prestonsburg in the playoffs last year, and what was the score. Im thinking it was regional finals, was it somerset.

Somerset
28-21 in Regional Finals in a game that was very closely contested
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Somerset
28-21 in Regional Finals in a game that was very closely contested

Being from the other side of the state, i dont know alot about the teams on that side of the state, but i would feel good about my team if im a blackcat fan. I hear somerset may be alittle down this year, so i think prestonsburg will be battling ncc in the semis, but im not very familiar with what ncc has returning. Looks like this will be a good season for prestonsburg.
killbilly usmc Wrote:Being from the other side of the state, i dont know alot about the teams on that side of the state, but i would feel good about my team if im a blackcat fan. I hear somerset may be alittle down this year, so i think prestonsburg will be battling ncc in the semis, but im not very familiar with what ncc has returning. Looks like this will be a good season for prestonsburg.

Pburg will have a very good team. They really improved a lot last season. The Pburg team at the start of the year was struggling with conditioning, razor thin depth, and was basically Jarrell running all over the field trying to make a play and Dalton Frasure being the only guy who could bail him out and assist.

By November Pburg's defense was much more consistent. The Ousley kid was playing great ball. Chatlin Jarrell emerged as their third playmaker on both sides. They started winning games and gaining confidence then had a favorable matchup against a Danville team that they really matched up well with.

The key to Pburg this year is developing that depth even further and finding one more guy on offense to create matchup problems. As long as they stay healthy Frasure and Jarrell alone makes Pburg a strong contender to reach the Semi's... especially with Somerset taking a step back and a very good Middlesboro team being set back a bit due to coaching change.

When Pburg's offense works the best is when they have a duel threat RB (Frasure), a duel threat QB (Jarrell), and that slot WR who can not only catch a lot of the underneath stuff, but is a home run threat anytime he takes the jet sweep. Pburg actually had that guy last year walking their halls, but he chose to focus on baseball.

The Eastern side of 2A has been highly entertaining and pretty balanced, but by and large I think it is not entirely break neck difficult. NCC continues to field a quality product every year, but with each year it seems they are coming back to the pack more and more. It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see Pburg make a run to the Finals, but until someone proves they can beat the Breds they have to get the edge.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Pburg will have a very good team. They really improved a lot last season. The Pburg team at the start of the year was struggling with conditioning, razor thin depth, and was basically Jarrell running all over the field trying to make a play and Dalton Frasure being the only guy who could bail him out and assist.

By November Pburg's defense was much more consistent. The Ousley kid was playing great ball. Chatlin Jarrell emerged as their third playmaker on both sides. They started winning games and gaining confidence then had a favorable matchup against a Danville team that they really matched up well with.

The key to Pburg this year is developing that depth even further and finding one more guy on offense to create matchup problems. As long as they stay healthy Frasure and Jarrell alone makes Pburg a strong contender to reach the Semi's... especially with Somerset taking a step back and a very good Middlesboro team being set back a bit due to coaching change.

When Pburg's offense works the best is when they have a duel threat RB (Frasure), a duel threat QB (Jarrell), and that slot WR who can not only catch a lot of the underneath stuff, but is a home run threat anytime he takes the jet sweep. Pburg actually had that guy last year walking their halls, but he chose to focus on baseball.

The Eastern side of 2A has been highly entertaining and pretty balanced, but by and large I think it is not entirely break neck difficult. NCC continues to field a quality product every year, but with each year it seems they are coming back to the pack more and more. It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see Pburg make a run to the Finals, but until someone proves they can beat the Breds they have to get the edge.

Very nice review, my friend !! :popcorn:
Cat Daddy Wrote:In my opinion, the blackcats have a good chance at making it to Bowling Green. They have the experience and the talent to make a run at a state title. My only concern is, when Prestonsburg is expected to have a big year they don't, and when they are expected to be down, they over achieve. So hopefully they have a strong year as expected. Good luck Blackcats!!!!

It's called senioritis. A particularly virulent strain is known to exist in the halls of PHS. Have seen a number of senior-laden Blackcat teams have its expected leaders do far too little running and lifting (aka "work"...as done previous seasons) and far too much strutting and lip service. But if the team can avoid it, the opportunity exists for this team to have a VERY good year.

:popcorn:
Found out the 40 includes freshmen. Has anyone seen a schedule for the upcoming season? When this group of seniors were freshmen they saw what senioritis and superstar syndrome created; a team that got their butt handed to them, so I just don't see it happening with this bunch.
Finally a schedule.

Aug 22, 14 Pikeville away 7:30 PM
Aug 29, 14 Sheldon Clark home 7:30 PM
Sep 5, 14 Clay County away 6:15 PM Appalachian Bowl
Sep 12, 14 Powell County home 7:30 PM
Sep 19, 14 Pike County Central home 7:30 PM
Sep 26, 14 Betsy Layne home 7:30 PM
Oct 3, 14 Hazard away 7:30 PM
Oct 10, 14 Shelby Valley away 7:30 PM
Oct 24, 14 Leslie County away 7:30 PM
Oct 31, 14 Lawrence County away 7:30 PM
I for one, would love to see Raceland and Prestonsburg start a series. Our part of the state isnt exactly loaded with stout enough competition to prepare us for the playoffs, a game with Prestonsburg's speed and atheleticism is just what we need around week 4.
#1 Blackcat Fan Wrote:Finally a schedule.

Aug 22, 14 Pikeville away 7:30 PM
Aug 29, 14 Sheldon Clark home 7:30 PM
Sep 5, 14 Clay County away 6:15 PM Appalachian Bowl
Sep 12, 14 Powell County home 7:30 PM
Sep 19, 14 Pike County Central home 7:30 PM
Sep 26, 14 Betsy Layne home 7:30 PM
Oct 3, 14 Hazard away 7:30 PM
Oct 10, 14 Shelby Valley away 7:30 PM
Oct 24, 14 Leslie County away 7:30 PM
Oct 31, 14 Lawrence County away 7:30 PM

I see 4 toss up games on there schedule which is could go either way and that's Pikeville, Pike Central, Hazard and Lawerence Co. The rest should be wins.