Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prestonsburg Blackcats 2014
With only 3 seniors graduating this team will be one to watch out for.
Now a team to watch for next year will be the Middlesboro Yellow Jackets. 3 seniors graduating honestly wouldn't be surprised in a region if not state championship
Danville also returns a ton next year in Region 4. However, this is P-burg's thread (others can make their own Smile )...

Much higher expectations are unavoidable for the Blackcats in 2014 compared to pre-2013. There are many things this team improved upon though the year which resulted in P-burg being a legitimate 2A title contender by the end of the regular season.

Most apparent in order of improvement:

- defensive line (excellent gap discipline by end of year)
- offensive line (esp. run blocking)
- commitment to an effective run game by staff (missing over past few years)
- Frasure came into his own (has become a true north-south type back)
- linebackers (better job anticipating the hole)

These are the things I see P-burg needs to accomplish to reach the next level (many of these are mental prep things):

- must learn to play with urgency from the opening kickoff (this team has developed a notorious habit of laying back in 1st quarter, then adjusting to the opponent afterward)
- commit to punt returns (far, far too many yards lost in field position by not playing punts), if not then no need to drop anyone back
- receivers need to do a better job getting open in space in sight of the QB(this is most true on QB rollouts)
- better field awareness in secondary (too many pass plays given up laying off receivers just past the 1st down marker)
- better utilization of Ousley as a receiver out of the backfield (decent speed and size with good hands)
- cornerbacks need to improve technique on "jump balls" (play the ball with both hands as too many catches against happened when the ball was taken away from defender)
- Jarrell needs to improve his throwing mechanics (a ball brought from the hip and around comes out slow and low without adding strength, not to mention it's hard on the shoulder)
oneijoe Wrote:Danville also returns a ton next year in Region 4. However, this is P-burg's thread (others can make their own Smile )...

Much higher expectations are unavoidable for the Blackcats in 2014 compared to pre-2013. There are many things this team improved upon though the year which resulted in P-burg being a legitimate 2A title contender by the end of the regular season.

These are the things I see P-burg needs to accomplish to reach the next level (many of these are mental prep things):

- must learn to play with urgency from the opening kickoff (this team has developed a notorious habit of laying back in 1st quarter, then adjusting to the opponent afterward)
- commit to punt returns (far, far too many yards lost in field position by not playing punts), if not then no need to drop anyone back
- receivers need to do a better job getting open in space in sight of the QB(this is most true on QB rollouts)
- better field awareness in secondary (too many pass plays given up laying off receivers just past the 1st down marker)
- better utilization of Ousley as a receiver out of the backfield (decent speed and size with good hands)
- cornerbacks need to improve technique on "jump balls" (play the ball with both hands as too many catches against happened when the ball was taken away from defender)
- Jarrell needs to improve his throwing mechanics (a ball brought from the hip and around comes out slow and low without adding strength, not to mention it's hard on the shoulder)

The only thing I would add to that is I would like to also see more carries from Ousley. He is a hard nosed RB, and it would help to keep the defenses from keying in on Frasure & Jarrell every down.

If everyone stays healthy this could be a very dangerous team in 2014. A lot of youth that done a lot of growing this past year.
Jarrell seems like he has been there a decade. That is quite the luxury to have back at QB.
oneijoe Wrote:Danville also returns a ton next year in Region 4. However, this is P-burg's thread (others can make their own Smile )...

:please::thatsfunnDanville doesn't return enough to start a thread.
P-burg will be very good
I'm anxious to see what Prestonsburg does next year, and I can't imagine the anxiety from their fan base.

They weren't supposed to make a statement in 2013, but they started with the Betsy Layne game, and just steam rolled from there.

They will absolutely be a team that must be dealt with in 2014; exciting times in Prestonsburg!!
Granny Bear Wrote:I'm anxious to see what Prestonsburg does next year, and I can't imagine the anxiety from their fan base.

They weren't supposed to make a statement in 2013, but they started with the Betsy Layne game, and just steam rolled from there.

They will absolutely be a team that must be dealt with in 2014; exciting times in Prestonsburg!!

You need to come check us out on your bye week next year. :welcome:
Looking foward to see P-Burg making a run at the ring.!!!
#1 Blackcat Fan Wrote:You need to come check us out on your bye week next year. :welcome:

That's a promise, blackitty!!

And whomever they are playing, I will cheer for that team!!!
(you know what I'm talking about, too)
:biglmao:
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Jarrell seems like he has been there a decade. That is quite the luxury to have back at QB.

That's what happens when a player gets varsity time and makes an impact as a frosh (he was used as a slot receiver primarily that year).

It could even be possible you're confusing him with another - "Jarrell" is another of those family names that is common in Blackcat football history.

:biggrin:
oneijoe Wrote:That's what happens when a player gets varsity time and makes an impact as a frosh (he was used as a slot receiver primarily that year).

It could even be possible you're confusing him with another - "Jarrell" is another of those family names that is common in Blackcat football history.

I think the last Belfry/Pburg game just seems longer ago than it really was... and even last year I would have swore he was a Junior HAHA

I still have to wonder what kind of impact it would have had on Pburg this year if Grant Anderson decided to play football. All year it just seemed like Pburg was one play maker away.. especially in that Somerset game.
The Blackcats will have their best team in recent years, but I'm afraid their run in the playoffs will be similar to this year. The teams in the other district will return most of their talent as well. I hope I'm wrong, district 8 needs a regional title.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I think the last Belfry/Pburg game just seems longer ago than it really was... and even last year I would have swore he was a Junior HAHA

I still have to wonder what kind of impact it would have had on Pburg this year if Grant Anderson decided to play football. All year it just seemed like Pburg was one play maker away.. especially in that Somerset game.

He was the missing link all year, but he made the best decision for himself. He has several baseball offers and no need to risk injury over a free education.

Missed him on the field, but wish him the best.
sportscritic Wrote:The Blackcats will have their best team in recent years, but I'm afraid their run in the playoffs will be similar to this year. The teams in the other district will return most of their talent as well. I hope I'm wrong, district 8 needs a regional title.

I would have to disagree.

I didn't really look at LCA simply because they was not a factor this year.

Danville loses there 2 leading RB & WR. Somerset loses a ton of talent, 18 seniors. Middlesboro loses 8 seniors.

Prestonsburg basically is returning the entire team with the exception of Wallace. We lost 3 seniors, but Wallace was the only one seeing playing time.
I look for P'burg to have a Great Team as Always!!!!!
Granny Bear Wrote:That's a promise, blackitty!!

And whomever they are playing, I will cheer for that team!!!
(you know what I'm talking about, too)
:biglmao:

I did tell you before I came I would be pulling for Belfry. :igiveup:
Prestonsburg will be good next season.I believe they will be a contender,and I think Leslie county will be my sleeper team Confusederiously:
Prestonsburg and Middlesboro will have an eye on each other all year.
Look for p-burg to be really good team next year. Should really make a big run at that region title next year.
Does anyone know about our incoming freshman class?
#1 Blackcat Fan Wrote:I did tell you before I came I would be pulling for Belfry. :igiveup:

Which is exactly the reason that I gave YOU notice!!!
Confusednicker:
Granny Bear Wrote:Which is exactly the reason that I gave YOU notice!!!
Confusednicker:

While I surely don't have a dog in this...

I DO think it's pretty rotten of #1BCF to have rooted for Belfry. I'd never do such a thing after Granny made me feel at home in watching a game at her "place". That kind of thing reflects poorly on -other- P-burg fans, BCF.

Tell you what, Granny... When you come to watch a P-burg game, you can sit by ME. I'll supply all the hot dogs and coffee/hot chocolate you can eat.

Confusednicker:
BigDawgPrez Wrote:Now a team to watch for next year will be the Middlesboro Yellow Jackets. 3 seniors graduating honestly wouldn't be surprised in a region if not state championship

Don't be shocked when NCC is back in the finals.
strawberryshakeman Wrote:Don't be shocked when NCC is back in the finals.

You're in the wrong thread (as was BigDawgPrez)... :eyeroll: Confusednicker:
oneijoe Wrote:While I surely don't have a dog in this...

I DO think it's pretty rotten of #1BCF to have rooted for Belfry. I'd never do such a thing after Granny made me feel at home in watching a game at her "place". That kind of thing reflects poorly on -other- P-burg fans, BCF.

Tell you what, Granny... When you come to watch a P-burg game, you can sit by ME. I'll supply all the hot dogs and coffee/hot chocolate you can eat.

Confusednicker:

Come on Joe. We Blackcats have to stick together. :igiveup:
oneijoe Wrote:While I surely don't have a dog in this...

Confusednicker:

It's a DATE, oneijoe!!!

That's just how Blackitty rolls. Filled him AND his friend with homemade chicken salad croissants AND Ho-Ho cake. Even offered to fix them a bag for the road. THEN caught him cheering for Belfry!!! Tsk tsk!!!

Wink
Granny Bear Wrote:It's a DATE, oneijoe!!!

That's just how Blackitty rolls. Filled him AND his friend with homemade chicken salad croissants AND Ho-Ho cake. Even offered to fix them a bag for the road. THEN caught him cheering for Belfry!!! Tsk tsk!!!

Wink

oneijoe will cheer for Harlan County with his mouth....but his heart will be cheering for Belfry. He tries to push it deep down and lock it up..but we all know joe wishes there was a "Pirate Life for Him"
EKUAlum05 Wrote:oneijoe will cheer for Harlan County with his mouth....but his heart will be cheering for Belfry. He tries to push it deep down and lock it up..but we all know joe wishes there was a "Pirate Life for Him"

Now, now... it's not nice to bait old joe. :dontthink

Let me put it this way... I can appreciate what you S. Williamson folks have done and even cheer for Pirates as an "old colleague who's having success" kind of deal. It was good to see Belfry get their Titles as Belfry has been a true "football school" a long time (almost as long as P-burg). And there just aren't that many of those around here considering basketball's popularity.