Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weights
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:Many of the kids do not voluntarily choose just football. There is an inherent, invisible, and intangible power that compels these kids to commit to football and football alone. The powers that be have a duty to encourage the kids to play other sports in their brief high school career. I personally think that what is going on at Highlands is a shame and that many of the kids suffer including the other sports programs. Yes, kids like Towles play another sport but don't think that it's going to interfere with weights. Weights and Basketball do not mix. Did you ever try shooting the rock after an hour of chest and legs? I think some powers that be hang an invisible cloud over the kids that don't commit fully (heart and soul) to football and the kids feel the pressure. They say it's not there, but it is. I've spoken to too many people who's kids have been slighted in one way or another for this very reason. The athletic director should do a thorough investigation and examine every facet of the football program and it's impact on the children. They will not do this b/c they are afraid of what they'll find.
Isn't the AD also the head football coach?
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:Many of the kids do not voluntarily choose just football. There is an inherent, invisible, and intangible power that compels these kids to commit to football and football alone. The powers that be have a duty to encourage the kids to play other sports in their brief high school career. I personally think that what is going on at Highlands is a shame and that many of the kids suffer including the other sports programs. Yes, kids like Towles play another sport but don't think that it's going to interfere with weights. Weights and Basketball do not mix. Did you ever try shooting the rock after an hour of chest and legs? I think some powers that be hang an invisible cloud over the kids that don't commit fully (heart and soul) to football and the kids feel the pressure. They say it's not there, but it is. I've spoken to too many people who's kids have been slighted in one way or another for this very reason. The athletic director should do a thorough investigation and examine every facet of the football program and it's impact on the children. They will not do this b/c they are afraid of what they'll find.

You gave your opinion; here's mine. Your's is silly. :thatsfunn
nky Wrote:Isn't the AD also the head football coach?

Not sure. I'm just waitin' for Chuck to chime in on this one.....:eyeroll:
nky Wrote:Isn't the AD also the head football coach?

Yeah, he sure is. He's the same fellow who met with a bunch of football players recently and told them to play baseball or run track if they wanted to. He's the same fellow who is the featured speaker for the baseball coach's upcoming youth baseball clinic. He's the same fellow who played college baseball and was drafted I believe by the Rangers out of high school. The guy loves baseball.

What causes this crud every year are some parents of kids who don't intend to play football, but rather will play other sports. Those other sports frankly suffer when other kids decide to concentrate on football. There's no denying it. But rather than just accept that the tradition of football causes kids to want to concentrate on football, they keep coming up with this "pressure from coaches" garbage. And it's garbage. I challenge any one believing it to get to know the baseball and basketball coaches and ask them if they believe Dale or any other coach pressures kids to concentrate on football. I know Mike and Jeremy extremely well. They are honest people and would not lie. Both of them have told me that Dale is extremely supportive of their programs and has encouraged football players to play baseball and football.
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:Not sure. I'm just waitin' for Chuck to chime in on this one.....:eyeroll:

You no longer have to wait.

I love getting the "know it all perspective" of some one not from Highlands or FT that didn't even play football at his high school telling everyone what supposedly happens involving Highlands football. You know about as much about Highlands football as I do Bellevue cross county, which is extremely little. :HitWall:
charlie22 Wrote:Yeah, he sure is. He's the same fellow who met with a bunch of football players recently and told them to play baseball or run track if they wanted to. He's the same fellow who is the featured speaker for the baseball coach's upcoming youth baseball clinic. He's the same fellow who played college baseball and was drafted I believe by the Rangers out of high school. The guy loves baseball.

What causes this crud every year are some parents of kids who don't intend to play football, but rather will play other sports. Those other sports frankly suffer when other kids decide to concentrate on football. There's no denying it. But rather than just accept that the tradition of football causes kids to want to concentrate on football, they keep coming up with this "pressure from coaches" garbage. And it's garbage. I challenge any one believing it to get to know the baseball and basketball coaches and ask them if they believe Dale or any other coach pressures kids to concentrate on football. I know Mike and Jeremy extremely well. They are honest people and would not lie. Both of them have told me that Dale is extremely supportive of their programs and has encouraged football players to play baseball and football.

I knew it wouldn't take long for this hot potato....:biggrin:
Winter weights at Highlands is "optional" lol.
charlie22 Wrote:Yeah, he sure is. He's the same fellow who met with a bunch of football players recently and told them to play baseball or run track if they wanted to. He's the same fellow who is the featured speaker for the baseball coach's upcoming youth baseball clinic. He's the same fellow who played college baseball and was drafted I believe by the Rangers out of high school. The guy loves baseball.

yet in another thread you posted "If you really want to start for Highlands varsity this coming year, the odds of that happening are greater if you concentrate on football this spring. If you really enjoy playing baseball, then you should play baseball and let the chips fall where they may concerning football. "
Originally Posted by charlie22 [Image: http://www.bluegrassrivals.com/forum/ima...ewpost.gif]
charlie22 [Image: http://www.bluegrassrivals.com/forum/ima...ewpost.gif]

nky Wrote:yet in another thread you posted "If you really want to start for Highlands varsity this coming year, the odds of that happening are greater if you concentrate on football this spring. If you really enjoy playing baseball, then you should play baseball and let the chips fall where they may concerning football. "
Originally Posted by charlie22 [Image: http://www.bluegrassrivals.com/forum/ima...ewpost.gif]

Looks as if we have exposed the forked tongue.:devilflam
nky Wrote:yet in another thread you posted "If you really want to start for Highlands varsity this coming year, the odds of that happening are greater if you concentrate on football this spring. If you really enjoy playing baseball, then you should play baseball and let the chips fall where they may concerning football. "

Sorry but I don't see your point. Enlighten me. What I told my nephew is the simple truth. If he's not lifting with the team and really concentrating on his upper and lower body strength and the his competitors for that position are doing so, the chances of him starting decrease. That's a fact. Do you really think he's going to put on the muscle mass needed to start on the O line playing baseball this spring? Because of the tradition, his desire to start for Highlands outweighed his desire to play baseball. It's that simple. Frankly, the kid understood the situation and made his choice. How is that contradictory with any thing in my other post that you quoted?
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:Looks as if we have exposed the forked tongue.:devilflam

I don't think so. But you've exposed your complete lack of knowledge of the game of football many, many posts ago. As a newcomer to FT, I don't expect you to understand life in FT, but keep them coming you are entertaining to me. :biggrin:
Do what??? That's about the goofiest thing I've ever heard. It's been made known you have never played football. Did you never play basketball either? You dont lift 15 minutes before tip off, just like you dont lift 15 minutes before kickoff. That is off season stuff to begin with, so I dont know where you are coming from.

Tiger Woods even goes through extensive weight training for golf. I've read that he can bench over 300 lbs.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I truly believe that if they did a study, healthier and more active students would be your best academic students.
It always appears that your sports players and fit kids are better at academics, dont know how or why, but it seems its a growing trend.

They have. The book is called "Spark". In it, it says exercise is like miracle grow for the brain. Very interesting book. Sometimes with academics and instuctional time, more is not better; but the quality of time engaged in the activity.
charlie22 Wrote:I don't think so. But you've exposed your complete lack of knowledge of the game of football many, many posts ago. As a newcomer to FT, I don't expect you to understand life in FT, but keep them coming you are entertaining to me. :biggrin:

you remind me of that movie the boy in the plastic bubble cuz you're obviously in your own little world. I think there's medicine you can take for that, Chuck. Who's starting to scare who?
Bob Seger Wrote:Do what??? That's about the goofiest thing I've ever heard. It's been made known you have never played football. Did you never play basketball either? You dont lift 15 minutes before tip off, just like you dont lift 15 minutes before kickoff. That is off season stuff to begin with, so I dont know where you are coming from.

Tiger Woods even goes through extensive weight training for golf. I've read that he can bench over 300 lbs.

Congrats, Bob. You've just tied Charlie with the most hilarious post of the day. I can't even believe I'm responding to these. Oh well, keep the entertainment coming....Get with Charlie as they may have group discounts available.
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:Congrats, Bob. You've just tied Charlie with the most hilarious post of the day. I can't even believe I'm responding to these. Oh well, keep the entertainment coming....Get with Charlie as they may have group discounts available.

Haha.....Never played anything, did you???:lmao:
Bob Seger Wrote:Haha.....Never played anything, did you???:lmao:

I think the topic of the thread was weights, not wether Whack n' Stack played sports in high school. Someone got called out and they're not anwering......."Lucy, you got some splaining to do...." I think most folks reading this thread know that I have exposed something here....
charlie22 Wrote:Sorry but I don't see your point. Enlighten me. What I told my nephew is the simple truth. If he's not lifting with the team and really concentrating on his upper and lower body strength and the his competitors for that position are doing so, the chances of him starting decrease. That's a fact. Do you really think he's going to put on the muscle mass needed to start on the O line playing baseball this spring? Because of the tradition, his desire to start for Highlands outweighed his desire to play baseball. It's that simple. Frankly, the kid understood the situation and made his choice. How is that contradictory with any thing in my other post that you quoted?

Thanks for your support of my argument.
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:Thanks for your support of my argument.

If my post supports you argument, then you welcome, although for the life of me I don't know what your argument is. If it's that coaches put pressure on kids to play one sport, the argument is false. If it's that some kids want to specialize in one sport because they desire to be the best they can be in that sport, your argument is correct. Which is it?
tradition Wrote:Having two sons that have graduated from Highlands and are now attending the Number 14th ranked private college in the country, I will say that they didn't need to take lifting class during school hours. In all honesty, the workout they received after school everyday lifting left little room for any other activity or fitness. To the point when we actually hired a trainer for a Saturday workout , he basically told us it was a waste of time because it was mostly spent stretching them out from the Highlands football winter workouts.:biggrin:

Just out of curiosity, how far from school do most players live that attend Highlands. I know in the county schools you have a lot of players that live 25-30 miles away and have a difficult time staying after school to lift.
HAT51 Wrote:Just out of curiosity, how far from school do most players live that attend Highlands. I know in the county schools you have a lot of players that live 25-30 miles away and have a difficult time staying after school to lift.

That's a great point that a lot of people fail to appreciate. In small independent schools like Highlands, it's very easy for players to get to and fro school. Heck, there are no school buses at Highlands because the district is so small geographically, so most kids either drive or walk to school. At the rural schools, it's much more difficult if the school does not have an activity bus. If the kids have to lift after school, they miss the bus and getting a ride home afterwards becomes much more difficult.

The "issue" for some is that if kids are lifting during school and then doing football related drills after school, it (the additional practice time) can be considered an advantage. Unfair advantage? Like most advantages, that's in the eyes of the beholder. Frankly, I have no problem with in school lifting as long as it's open to all students and is not just an opportunity to get lifting out of the way so there is more time for practice after school. But even then, I'm probably okay with it. If the local school board is fine with it, that's their business.
East ridge has weight lifting classes 2nd and 5th for just football players
sstack Wrote:That is a very good point, but still not worth giving up your academic classes for PE.

Weightlifting, wellness, Exercise Science, Advanced PE, whatever it's called depeding on the school, are labled "elective" classes. As in, you can "elect" to take either of the classes offered. You can't substitute any of those for the following Core Content classes, though (the classes all students are required to take). Keep in mind that these are general names, each school may have some cutsie name that they come up with for specifics.

English I
English II
English III
English IV

Algebra 1
Geometry (sometimes called 'Data and Measurements', same thing, though)
Algebra II

American Government
U.S History
World Civilization
Arts and Humanities

Intergrated Science (aka 'Earth Science', Intro to Chem/Phys)
Biology
Chemistry

Health and PE (most take this in their freshman year or soph at the latest)

I might be missing some, but outside of those 15 classes that are required, the rest of a students credits are made up of electives, which include:

Marketing
Computer Information Systems (typing, Microsoft Office programs, etc)
Business
Sociology
Psychology
Foreign Language
Drama/Theatre
Chorous
Equine Science
Small Engine Tech
Technology (CO2 Cars, graphics, video editing, etc.)
Art 1, 2 and 3
..and, tons of others depending on whatever the individual high schools offer.

Now, we can sit here and be politically correct, saying that those elective classes listed above do so much for education; or we can call it like it really is and acknowledge that in the grand scheme of things, the classes above are no more "academic" than weightlifting. FYI, I'm for all of these classes, including weightlifting. I graduated from a high school noted for it's strong academics, double majored in college with a minor and have a Master's degree while also taking Weightlifting for three years as an elective and I've come out alright. However, I'm sure had I taken that Equine Science class instead, that I would have been much more prepared for the world. :flame:
Harry Doyle Wrote:Weightlifting, wellness, Exercise Science, Advanced PE, whatever it's called depeding on the school, are labled "elective" classes. As in, you can "elect" to take either of the classes offered. You can't substitute any of those for the following Core Content classes, though (the classes all students are required to take). Keep in mind that these are general names, each school may have some cutsie name that they come up with for specifics.

English I
English II
English III
English IV

Algebra 1
Geometry (sometimes called 'Data and Measurements', same thing, though)
Algebra II

American Government
U.S History
World Civilization
Arts and Humanities

Intergrated Science (aka 'Earth Science', Intro to Chem/Phys)
Biology
Chemistry

Health and PE (most take this in their freshman year or soph at the latest)

I might be missing some, but outside of those 15 classes that are required, the rest of a students credits are made up of electives, which include:

Marketing
Computer Information Systems (typing, Microsoft Office programs, etc)
Business
Sociology
Psychology
Foreign Language
Drama/Theatre
Chorous
Equine Science
Small Engine Tech
Technology (CO2 Cars, graphics, video editing, etc.)
Art 1, 2 and 3
..and, tons of others depending on whatever the individual high schools offer.

Now, we can sit here and be politically correct, saying that those elective classes listed above do so much for education; or we can call it like it really is and acknowledge that in the grand scheme of things, the classes above are no more "academic" than weightlifting. FYI, I'm for all of these classes, including weightlifting. I graduated from a high school noted for it's strong academics, double majored in college with a minor and have a Master's degree while also taking Weightlifting for three years as an elective and I've come out alright. However, I'm sure had I taken that Equine Science class instead, that I would have been much more prepared for the world. :flame:

Just out of curiostiy, what college did you attend?
Harry Doyle Wrote:Weightlifting, wellness, Exercise Science, Advanced PE, whatever it's called depeding on the school, are labled "elective" classes. As in, you can "elect" to take either of the classes offered. You can't substitute any of those for the following Core Content classes, though (the classes all students are required to take). Keep in mind that these are general names, each school may have some cutsie name that they come up with for specifics.

Great post. :1:
tradition Wrote:just out of curiostiy, what college did you attend?

espnu
tradition Wrote:Just out of curiostiy, what college did you attend?

I was thinking the same thing. When I was in HS, I only had to take 4 Math/English, 3 Science/Social Sciences, 1 Physical/Health Education, 1 Art/Humanities. + Electives

He listed classes that I'm taking in college....
Real Badman Wrote:I was thinking the same thing. When I was in HS, I only had to take 4 Math/English, 3 Science/Social Sciences, 1 Physical/Health Education, 1 Art/Humanities. + Electives

When did you graduate?
Real Badman Wrote:I was thinking the same thing. When I was in HS, I only had to take 4 Math/English, 3 Science/Social Sciences, 1 Physical/Health Education, 1 Art/Humanities. + Electives

Well , judging by his answer to my simple question, I'll take his comments with a grain of salt.:eyeroll:
Harry Doyle Wrote:When did you graduate?

Couple of years ago.