Poll: Who Wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Belfry Pirates
78.46%
Prestonsburg Blackcats
21.54%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry @ Prestonsburg (Aug. 21)
I know too!! LOL.... Smile

If you need assistance feel free to e-mail me at:
[email=phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com]phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com[/email]
K
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Key Losses for Belfry:
RB/DE Ivan Lee
QB/CB Andrew Elkins
FB/LB Charlie Dotson
OL/DL Corey Coleman
DE/TE Gary Hall
NG/OL Randy Webb
OL Casey Whetstone
DB Shawn Dotson

Starters Lost:
Offense: 7
Defense: 7

Starters Returning:
Offense: 4
Defense: 4

Key Returning Players:
HB/DB/P/K Thomas Varney (1622 all purpose yards, 20 TD, leading rusher and receiver last season)
OL/DL Chancey Cisco
HB/DB Chase Maynard (516 total yards, 8 TD)
HB/DB Timmy Lovern (253 total yards, 2 TD)
WR Corey Charles
LB/FB Gary Runyon
LB/TE Shane Blackburn

Pirates have major holes to fill on both lines and at QB. Belfry had a stable of very talented halfbacks with speed who will return led by Varney who IMO will be the 2nd best player in the mountains behind Fugate at Breathitt. The rumor is Varney is being moved to QB this year so they can get all their speedy HB's on the field. Belfry will be srong in the offensive and defensive backfield, Blackburn and Runyon will be a great LB dupo by the end of the season but they are young right now.

If Belfry is installing a new offense this season as rumored, coupled with the Pirates pension for starting slow, and pburg's homefield advantage, this game could be too close to call entering Week 1.

Shane decided to devote his time to some christian bands that he is plays in. He hasn't practiced the first day! As for KEY players, well those that you have mentioned are quality players and athletes;however, you have neglected some very talented players. Nathan Carroll, AJ Patrick, Morgan Bentley, and Cameron Tackett all started last year and made their presence known. Casey Lester started when Cameron had an ankle injury and represented quite well. Big James Hardin cannot be overlooked nor can Garett Francis or Josh Francis. These are guys that not only have the ability, but play with more heart and determination than ever. They are in full throttle mode and ready to play! Yes Coach is switching them up but they are putting in the extra time and are willing to do the time for the end result! What this team lacks in size they make up in speed, athleticism, and intelligience! Have a great year Belfry Pirates!
Pond Creek Wrote:I knowConfusedhh:!!!!!!!!!

I would say you do, Ha Ha...should be fun. We will let the cat out of the bag sometime soon. Maybe Joe can join us come playoff time. BTW, there will be more food at the Pirate tailgate now!!!!!!
phs1986 Wrote:SHHHHHHHH....... Please don't tell people that I travel with him!! LMAO...

What are they doin with you and Joe? Joe goin to Matewan or WV games? You KNOW you can't not be at Belfry on a "tailgate Friday night" boy!!!

Just a little change of scenery for Joe. Ole Shake and Bake is no more. A new sidekick will be unveiled on 96.5 WXCC. Stay tuned to find out the new addition to the Sports Guys staff.
bucslover68 Wrote:Just a little change of scenery for Joe. Ole Shake and Bake is no more. A new sidekick will be unveiled on 96.5 WXCC. Stay tuned to find out the new addition to the Sports Guys staff.

I have a "source" on the inside... TongueirateSho

I know what's "shakin" your way!! HAHA...

phs1986 Wrote:I have a "source" on the inside... TongueirateSho

I know what's "shakin" your way!! HAHA...

I just hope it is someone that understands the Belfry tradition. :please:
EKUAlum05 Wrote:New KHSAA rule. Belfry chose to play in "Week 0" and forego the right to have another scrimmage. The Pike County Bowl is the following week.

ok thanks....do u know were east ridge plays and wat time...thanks
FootballFreak Wrote:I just hope it is someone that understands the Belfry tradition. :please:

Tradition will continue on!!!

But we're gonna have to send Joe some dirt cake and soup by his ex- partner in crime!!!

phs1986 Wrote:Tradition will continue on!!!

But we're gonna have to send Joe some dirt cake and soup by his ex- partner in crime!!!

He'll never get it that way.
Pirates roll away big in this one. Too much offnse i think. 36-13
I would love to see the Blackcats pull it out, but I think Belfry has a big advantage

Belfry-42
Pburg-20
FootballFreak Wrote:I just hope it is someone that understands the Belfry tradition. :please:

Oh believe me they do!!!!:1::1:
Well, its that time of the year again. A lot of questions to be answered, but I'll take Belfry by 2 TD.

Belfry 35
P-Burg 21
BelfryPirates Wrote:Well, its that time of the year again. A lot of questions to be answered, but I'll take Belfry by 2 TD.

Belfry 35
P-Burg 21

i think there answering those ? hear there looking good
cuppett777 Wrote:i think there answering those ? hear there looking good

Against who? Air? I'm pretty sure they haven't played anyone yet, so they have not answered anything . Nobody has.
Judging from the predictions of folks posting a score, a Prestonsburg win would be a BIG-time upset. Not ONE person has picked the Blackcats. Heck, few have called it closer than 2 scores. Kind of funny for a game so many claim will be close and hard-hitting.

I'll take the Blackcats 14-7.

I also think there could be 10 turnovers in the game considering all the new skill players, the rumors of each team changing up offenses, and how hard these teams like to hit each other (LOL).
^Glad to see some more Prestonsburg members in this thread.
atlanta Wrote:Belfry has a Hex on Prestonsburg has for decades! Darn near supernatural like.

"Decades" ?!?

Someone doesn't know the history of this rivalry very well. :lmao:
I think this game is going to be much closer than people think. Based on what Pburg has coming back on D I will take the Blackcats in the upset 21-20 in OT
Belfry 42
P-burg 20
Traditionally.
Belfy peaks by the third game of the year
P-burg peaks early, and falls off as the season progresses and injuries occur
EDGE-P-burg
Belfy will dress no less that 65 even during lean years
P-burg will dress no more than 45 during good years
EDGE-Belfy
Both teams are reported to be revamping their offense.
EDGE-the field, because the ball is going to hit it a lot.
P-burg at home
EDGE-P-burg, although that trip isn't as bad as it used to be.
Belfy returns more starters and frequent players from last year
EDGE-Belfy
My heart says P-burg, but my head says Belfy. It will be a great game.
FINAL Score Belfy-14 P-burg-8
hawg laig Wrote:Traditionally.
EDGE-P-burg
Belfy will dress no less that 65 even during lean years
P-burg will dress no more than 45 during good years
EDGE-Belfy
Both teams are reported to be revamping their offense.
EDGE-the field, because the ball is going to hit it a lot.
P-burg at home
EDGE-P-burg, although that trip isn't as bad as it used to be.
Belfy returns more starters and frequent players from last year
EDGE-Belfy
My heart says P-burg, but my head says Belfy. It will be a great game.
FINAL Score Belfy-14 P-burg-8

Agree with everything else, but I think you are way off on the bold. The typical Belfry team doesn't peak until about the 9th or 10th game at the earliest, other Belfry teams don't peak until about the 3rd Round of the playoffs.
hawg laig Wrote:Traditionally.

Neither team is known to peak early. Some of the absolute worst performances by the Blackcats have been in early games. Last year's early season (esp. with the surprise win over Breathitt Co.) was a welcome exception.

There's a possibility the game could be a real stinker insofar as offensive and defensive execution goes. I'd look for lots of turnovers and busted plays.

But...there'll be no lack of effort as these two teams have been rivals a VERY long time and LOVE to beat the other regardless of the circumstances.

:Clap:
Belfry will be too much for the blackcats.
NINE is a row coming up OneIJoe.

NINE!
PaytoPlay Wrote:NINE is a row coming up OneIJoe.

NINE!

You can flaunt EIGHT in a row, but it ain't NINE yet... :wink:
Been doing it since THREE big guy!

I have a sneaky feeling NINE is coming.

Good to see you over here.
PaytoPlay Wrote:Been doing it since THREE big guy!

I have a sneaky feeling NINE is coming.

Good to see you over here.

I agree, me and oneijoe have fought soem battles between us, but we have also fought some battles together. Always respected his opinion and insight and plus he has always been a gracious loser Big Grin
I do believe this game will be low scoring, being both teams will be learning.. I look for Belfry to edge the Blackcats

20-12
This will be the game I am attending. Should be a lopsided victory for Belfry. I would like to see the Blackcats pull it off as much as anyone, but I just can't see how they can even keep it close. I say Belfry will be up by two scores at halftime then flat out dominate the third quarter and score a couple more TD's and take the victory by at least 4 TD's.

I think Michael Burchett will have a problem with the Belfry defense. The Blackcats simply aren't big enough for the Pirates. I think it will be pretty ugly. I have been told I am the team I'm rooting for's biggest critic, but I try to be as accurate as I can with my predictions. I wish the Blackcats all the luck in the world and will be on the Home side cheering them on. But, here is my prediction score---

Belfry - 41
Prestonsburg - 10

Best of luck to the Blackcats.