Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Belfry @ Prestonsburg (Aug. 21)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Belfry and P'burg renew what has been one of the best rivalries in the mountains over the last decade. Formerly aligned in the same district, P'burg and Belfry produced some of the most competitive andhighly talked abut matchups in the state in the early 2000's.

Belfry enters this matchup winners of the last 8 meetings.

Series in the past 10 years: Belfry leads 9-3.

2006 Playoffs: Belfry 35 Pburg 10
2006: Belfry 42 Pburg 10
2005: Belfry 49 Pburg 7
2004 Playoffs: Belfry 28 Pburg 12
2004: Belfry 20 Pburg 14 (OT)
2003 Playoffs: Belfry 27 Pburg 19
2003: Belfry 35 Pburg 12
2002: Belfry 20 Pburg 12
2001 Playoffs: Pburg 34 Belfry 14
2001: Pburg 40 Belfry 14
2000: Pburg 20 Belfry 14 (2 OT)
1999: Belfry 27 Pburg 6

Both teams enter with alot of question marks. Predictions? Thoughts?
It will be hard for Prestonsburg (being a 1A school) to beat Belfry (being a 3A school). This is a great rivalry, though. Both teams being traditionally strong.
Deathstar 80 Wrote:It will be hard for Prestonsburg (being a 1A school) to beat Belfry (being a 3A school). This is a great rivalry, though. Both teams being traditionally strong.

Pburg is a large 2A school and Belfry is a small 3A school.... the enrollment difference is minimal and they have frequently played in the same district and class over the years.
This is a game that I will not miss. I am glad both teams decided to renew the rivalry and hopefully will keep it going for quite some time.

As far as the game goes, I'm not sure who Belfry has returning from last year, but with any Belfry football team, it doesn't really matter. They always reload instead of rebuild. I know Prestonsburg lost the majority of their skill players to graduation last year. They will be questionable at RB as they lost their two studs last year in Craynon and Setser. They should be stout on defense which will be lead by Austin McKinney who lead the team in tackles last year. I've heard they may be using McKinney at RB but I'm not positive about that. Luckily, P-burg returns experience at QB with Michael Burchett, but lost his go to man in Austin Gearheart to graduation last year.

In short, there are a lot of questions out there about this years Prestonsburg squad and who will step up to fill the void at RB which is the backbone to P-burgs offense.

I'm going to say Belfry wins this game.
BCF4L Wrote:This is a game that I will not miss. I am glad both teams decided to renew the rivalry and hopefully will keep it going for quite some time.

As far as the game goes, I'm not sure who Belfry has returning from last year, but with any Belfry football team, it doesn't really matter. They always reload instead of rebuild. I know Prestonsburg lost the majority of their skill players to graduation last year. They will be questionable at RB as they lost their two studs last year in Craynon and Setser. They should be stout on defense which will be lead by Austin McKinney who lead the team in tackles last year. I've heard they may be using McKinney at RB but I'm not positive about that. Luckily, P-burg returns experience at QB with Michael Burchett, but lost his go to man in Austin Gearheart to graduation last year.

In short, there are a lot of questions out there about this years Prestonsburg squad and who will step up to fill the void at RB which is the backbone to P-burgs offense.

I'm going to say Belfry wins this game.

Key Losses for Belfry:
RB/DE Ivan Lee
QB/CB Andrew Elkins
FB/LB Charlie Dotson
OL/DL Corey Coleman
DE/TE Gary Hall
NG/OL Randy Webb
OL Casey Whetstone
DB Shawn Dotson

Starters Lost:
Offense: 7
Defense: 7

Starters Returning:
Offense: 4
Defense: 4

Key Returning Players:
HB/DB/P/K Thomas Varney (1622 all purpose yards, 20 TD, leading rusher and receiver last season)
OL/DL Chancey Cisco
HB/DB Chase Maynard (516 total yards, 8 TD)
HB/DB Timmy Lovern (253 total yards, 2 TD)
WR Corey Charles
LB/FB Gary Runyon
LB/TE Shane Blackburn

Pirates have major holes to fill on both lines and at QB. Belfry had a stable of very talented halfbacks with speed who will return led by Varney who IMO will be the 2nd best player in the mountains behind Fugate at Breathitt. The rumor is Varney is being moved to QB this year so they can get all their speedy HB's on the field. Belfry will be srong in the offensive and defensive backfield, Blackburn and Runyon will be a great LB dupo by the end of the season but they are young right now.

If Belfry is installing a new offense this season as rumored, coupled with the Pirates pension for starting slow, and pburg's homefield advantage, this game could be too close to call entering Week 1.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Pburg is a large 2A school and Belfry is a small 3A school.... the enrollment difference is minimal and they have frequently played in the same district and class over the years.

Sorry, I didn't know Prestonsburg was a 2A school.

I forgot to put down a score:

Belfry - 42
Prestonsburg - 7
i thought belfry was goin to play in the pike county bowl...
WOW WHAT A WAY TO START OFF THE YEAR IS ALL I HAVE TO SAY. Two great traditions, two great teams and coaches, two teams who hate one another and a game that the mountains love to watch. I can not wait.

Belfry 35
P Burg 14
Belfry wins but with this being the 1st game of the season i think it will be close
BatCat11 Wrote:Belfry wins but with this being the 1st game of the season i think it will be close

I agree. And that's why I'm going to say...

Belfry-28
Prestonsburg-21
viking_fan7 Wrote:i thought belfry was goin to play in the pike county bowl...

New KHSAA rule. Belfry chose to play in "Week 0" and forego the right to have another scrimmage. The Pike County Bowl is the following week.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:New KHSAA rule. Belfry chose to play in "Week 0" and forego the right to have another scrimmage. The Pike County Bowl is the following week.

same as Pike Central as well, i like this new rule
belfry wins by couple tds
Belfry by 2 TD's
Stardust Wrote:Belfry by 2 TD's

:Thumbs:
Although Belfry lost 7 starting position on off/def. they will overcome! Those boys are working hard and really coming together. I'm amazed as I watch them everyday at the difference in them. A few have moved positions and many willl be suprised at the talent that Belfry had "laying in wait" to have their chance!

I'll take Belfry in this one (as you could have guessed!!) Smile
I would love to see Pburg pull this one out but I think Belfry just has to much for them. Belfry will take this one by a few tds.
I think this game will go down to the wire. Both teams lost some talented football players and if the rumor is true about Belfry installing a new offense and moving Varney at QB and if you factor in the timing of this game I think this game will boil down to who makes the least mistakes. I'm going with Belfry 14 P-Burg 13. How many players do the Blackcats have out so far?
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:WOW WHAT A WAY TO START OFF THE YEAR IS ALL I HAVE TO SAY. Two great traditions, two great teams and coaches, two teams who hate one another and a game that the mountains love to watch. I can not wait.

Belfry 35
P Burg 14

Great way to put it. The atmosphere for this one should be great. This is the game I will be in attendance for. Heard there was going to be some tail-gating for this one (weather permitting). I think it will be a very exciting and interesting first half with the score close at halftime. I think Michael Burchett will impress some people at quarterback for the Blackcats. Josh Craynon will have some good runs and will be able to help keep the game within a TD until halftime. The second half, I have to give it to Thomas Varney and Belfry. I predict they will hold the Blackcats to only one score in the second half and they will score 3 TD's of their own.

Should be a great one to watch if you've ever kept up with the history of these teams. Here is my score prediction:

Belfry - 28
Prestonsburg - 10

Best of luck to both teams!

Don Carlo Wrote:How many players do the Blackcats have out so far?
Around 40 if I'm not mistaken.
Belfry- 35
Prestonsburg- 21
Prestonsburg does not have 60 players out for football...

30 IF everyone stays out and stays healthy...

I suspect they will wind up with about 25 or so by the midpoint of the season.
Everyone is going to see a totally new Prestonsburg offense. They now run the spread. 4-5 wide majority of the time. Jim Tom Allen & Joe Chrico are calling most of the offensive plays now. I've spoken with a few players and although they don't have much depth they said things are looking really good.

I think that this will be a very hard fought game, but I'd like to see some scrimmage reviews before I make any predictions.
This is going to be a great game this year and i expect p-burg to give belfry all they want and more but i expect belfry to take away a 4 point win.

21 to 17
phs1986 Wrote:Although Belfry lost 7 starting position on off/def. they will overcome! Those boys are working hard and really coming together. I'm amazed as I watch them everyday at the difference in them. A few have moved positions and many willl be suprised at the talent that Belfry had "laying in wait" to have their chance!

I'll take Belfry in this one (as you could have guessed!!) Smile

Hey, I saw you and the husband out cruising around at the Massey Bowl. Word has is that Joe and I may be split up. As for the game: First of all I am glad the series is renewed. Second of all, I like Belfry 28-13.
bucslover68 Wrote:Hey, I saw you and the husband out cruising around at the Massey Bowl. Word has is that Joe and I may be split up. As for the game: First of all I am glad the series is renewed. Second of all, I like Belfry 28-13.

SHHHHHHHH....... Please don't tell people that I travel with him!! LMAO...

What are they doin with you and Joe? Joe goin to Matewan or WV games? You KNOW you can't not be at Belfry on a "tailgate Friday night" boy!!!
At this point I think Belfry has around 70 kids..... There were some missing when the team photo was taken the other day but I could be off give or take by a few!!
Belfry 34
Prestonsburg 12
bucslover68 Wrote:Hey, I saw you and the husband out cruising around at the Massey Bowl. Word has is that Joe and I may be split up. As for the game: First of all I am glad the series is renewed. Second of all, I like Belfry 28-13.

whos going to be your new side kick, get me a job there and i will be,lol
Belfry has a Hex on Prestonsburg has for decades! Darn near supernatural like.
cuppett777 Wrote:whos going to be your new side kick, get me a job there and i will be,lol

I knowConfusedhh:!!!!!!!!!
Pages: 1 2 3 4