Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Letcher Central Names Assistants
LarryLargemouth Wrote:I agree that Jerry would be a great addition to the program. I have known him for a very long time and he is a great person and outstanding basketball mind. All you here is there was no success at Jenkins, but you can't compare the two schools, they are totally different. I don't know if there is any better qualified person for the job. In my opinion I hope he gets it....

thanks larrylargemouth !!!!!!
Lucky7 Wrote:Jerry Bentley is a good coach, he had alot of success at Jenkins. What most people dont consider is the size of Jenkins, anytime that you are going to the regional finals and All Finals with a school the size of Jenkins you are doing well.

Thanks Lucky7 !!! :Thumbs:
You are correct Beefhide!!! I remember the good ol days.
lil dog Wrote:Well, I just talked to Brian, and I ask him who was gonna help, and he told me, him and Winston lee as of right now,There are more qualified people than Jerry Bentley, as for Brian, that is who Hammonds wanted to be his top assistant!!!!!!

How much more qualified can you be than 22 years of coaching experience? I don't think you can find a more qualified person willing to be an assisstant coach, after they have been a head coach for 8 seasons and an assistant for 14 years, both with the boys program and girls program.
As far as assistants go, it is what the head coach wants and how they are used. Communication of style of play and individual improvement in that is instrumental in success of a program. A head coach is not always a key criteria in hiring assistants. It is the ability to adapt to the head coaches strategies and idiosyncrasies.

The two people in question here are both good friends of mine are capable of providing the necessary attributes that I mention above.

Brian has the ability to relate to players and knows the X and O's of forward/center play.

Jerry has the keen mind of unique in bounds plays and scouting opposing team's strengths and weaknesses.

Both have had experience of wins and losses at Jenkins. I know what it means to coach at a small school and the two cannot be compared at the team level, but the teaching of individual skills to players can be. Both of these men can do that, and Coach Hammonds would be wise to have them on his staff.

There are few people in Letcher County that have similar or better qualities as coaches.
Great Post. Couldn't agree more.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
It does not matter if you coached boys or girls. I have known of some very fine coaches for girls basketball. I think Johnson is a huge leg up for LCC. I know nothing of Bentley so i cant say. Jenkins with there numbers did good IMO. When your school is that small it is tuff to compete. I would say that LCC improves.
Jerry was an assistant under Harvey Tackett at Jenkins before taking the girls coaching job.
He was my coach my junior year, and he was a great teacher, and a great leader. My problem was I was dedicated like I should have been and never got to play my senior year.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

UKisN1 Wrote:As far as assistants go, it is what the head coach wants and how they are used. Communication of style of play and individual improvement in that is instrumental in success of a program. A head coach is not always a key criteria in hiring assistants. It is the ability to adapt to the head coaches strategies and idiosyncrasies.

The two people in question here are both good friends of mine are capable of providing the necessary attributes that I mention above.

Brian has the ability to relate to players and knows the X and O's of forward/center play.

Jerry has the keen mind of unique in bounds plays and scouting opposing team's strengths and weaknesses.

Both have had experience of wins and losses at Jenkins. I know what it means to coach at a small school and the two cannot be compared at the team level, but the teaching of individual skills to players can be. Both of these men can do that, and Coach Hammonds would be wise to have them on his staff.

There are few people in Letcher County that have similar or better qualities as coaches.

UKisN1 would also be a wise choice for an assisstant coach. Thank you for this post. Keith Baker is another coach who would do a good job. there are several Letcher Countains who could fit into these positions and do a good job.:Thumbs:
Beefhide Wrote:UKisN1 would also be a wise choice for an assisstant coach. Thank you for this post. Keith Baker is another coach who would do a good job. there are several Letcher Countains who could fit into these positions and do a good job.:Thumbs:

I will agree with this statement 100%, UKisN1 would do great as an asst, or a head coach !!!!!!!!!!!!!:Thumbs:
I believe a good coach can coach both boys and girls. It just takes a little time to adapt. Bill Fannin has coached both Hazard girls and boys to the state tournament. Allan Hatcher coached Graves County boys and girls to the state tournament. Dickie Adams had a winning record as Junior Varsity boys coach at Whiteburg under Eddie Whitaker. Had a winning record as baseball coach at Whitesburg. He has taken Whitesburg softball, and Letcher Central girls basketball and volleyball to the state tournament. Some coaches cannot adapt to the switch but most good ones can. Manis Blair switched from girls to boys at Letcher and did a good job.
One of the things that is really cool is Letcher Co people coming together.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Well, my opinion is that Teresa would be a better hire than her husband. Is she still at Jenkins or is she still there?

As far as small school/large school, go to Hazard and look at the success a school the size of Jenkins has over as school the size of Letcher in Perry County. I don't buy any of that......
Oh yea, I wish them well and look forward seeing them when they travel to Hindman. Someone told me that Maggard replaced Jerry and now Jerry is hired to take Maggards' vacancy..... small world. Is the Johnson a PE teacher that took Cavs spot?
firechief Wrote:Well, my opinion is that Teresa would be a better hire than her husband. Is she still at Jenkins or is she still there?

As far as small school/large school, go to Hazard and look at the success a school the size of Jenkins has over as school the size of Letcher in Perry County. I don't buy any of that......

You cannot make equitable comparisons between Jenkins and Hazard. Jenkins doesn't have the resources to obtain transfers whenever their talent level goes down.
firechief Wrote:Oh yea, I wish them well and look forward seeing them when they travel to Hindman. Someone told me that Maggard replaced Jerry and now Jerry is hired to take Maggards' vacancy..... small world. Is the Johnson a PE teacher that took Cavs spot?

No he is a math teacher who took Ben Howard's job.
Guys if you can get Coach Bentley, you better grab him. Why is it that everytime someone is about to be hired out comes all of the naysayers? Jealousy.......Maybe. Good luck to you guys this year!
Beefhide Wrote:You shouldn't listen to rumors. Coach Bentley has mellowed out a lot since he first started coaching 22 years ago. Hot head ?????:blabbermo
CoachB Wrote:Guys if you can get Coach Bentley, you better grab him. Why is it that everytime someone is about to be hired out comes all of the naysayers? Jealousy.......Maybe. Good luck to you guys this year!

I agree.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:You cannot make equitable comparisons between Jenkins and Hazard. Jenkins doesn't have the resources to obtain transfers whenever their talent level goes down.

what do you mean when you say resources?
Thanks Coach B and orangenowblue !!!!
firechief Wrote:Well, my opinion is that Teresa would be a better hire than her husband. Is she still at Jenkins or is she still there?

We may get her in addition.

Hazard has always had advantages.... from the smallest of things such as selection of refs on a big game to larger.. such as tax base... Gorman, Cooper... transfers from Cox in the 50's to now with Whitaker, Warren, Back.....I do buy it. JMO
You could do a thread on the best all time transfers in Hazard's history and it would take up to 10 pages. Listen, I do not have problem with transfers, but schools like Jenkins cannot obtain or sustain a program the caliber of Hazard's due to their inability to get transfers due to the town not being very big and their location. Hazard is centrally located and has a big monetary advantage when it comes to the town and boosters. If you subtracted all the transfers and out of district kids out of Hazard's history their collection of banners would be cut in half.
That is so true orange. They do the best they can and it is going to get better. I just remember the good old days.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

I must say I'm dissapointed that mr. bentley is going to be coaching at lcc. Yes it's a good hire, but just imagine how hurt the lady cavaliers will be bearing that their coach who couldn't finish the year out is now coaching.
But goodluck mr. bentley
It is still not definite that he is coaching, it is only speculation.
We don't know yet.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

OrangenowBlue Wrote:It is still not definite that he is coaching, it is only speculation.

He was seen wearing a LCC basketball t-shirt the other day. What more proof do you need that he will coach?
Well I talked to him personally today, and he told me that he hasn't been hired as a coach. Just a PE teacher. Just because you wear a LCC basketball shirt doesn't mean that you are a coach. I see teachers wear shirts when they are in wal mart all the time, that doesn't mean they are on the coaching staff.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

balla_03 Wrote:He was seen wearing a LCC basketball t-shirt the other day. What more proof do you need that he will coach?

I wear UK basketball shirts all the time. I need to call Calipari and see where my paycheck for coaching is at.