Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Letcher Central Names Assistants
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Jerry Bentley, and Brian Johnson both former coaches of Jenkins has been named assistant coaches to be under Coach Hammonds. I talked to Brian today and he saids that he signed a while back, but Coach Bentley signed this week. Good Luck to both coaches.
Congrats johnson and bentley
Brian, is a good hire for LCC, I have known him for a long time, as for Jerry I dont personally know him, so I will not make a comment on him, I only hope they get this team to the level of play they are capable of!!!!!
good hire!!
no pun intended but what about this is a good hire. . . you have seen what they are capable of jenkins. . .i dont think things will change. . .im confused by these hires. I dont see this as an improvement from anything they had from before! If anything maybe a step backwards all around. . .good luck to everyone though.
WTF,these guys could not win at Jenkins when they had talent.One was more worried about the players mothers and the other is a hot head.BAD HIRE.Is someone trying to sabatagecoach Hammonds?
touchdownkentucky Wrote:WTF,these guys could not win at Jenkins when they had talent.One was more worried about the players mothers and the other is a hot head.BAD HIRE.Is someone trying to sabatagecoach Hammonds?

Dfenz Wrote:no pun intended but what about this is a good hire. . . you have seen what they are capable of jenkins. . .i dont think things will change. . .im confused by these hires. I dont see this as an improvement from anything they had from before! If anything maybe a step backwards all around. . .good luck to everyone though.

Did you all forget that when they did have talent, they beat lcc one year, and as the girls coach, coach bentley did beat us two years ago. These guys will help us, and there track record speaks for itself.
cougarpride08 Wrote:Did you all forget that when they did have talent, they beat lcc one year, and as the girls coach, coach bentley did beat us two years ago. These guys will help us, and there track record speaks for itself.

So beating LCC one year in boys basketball is a track record for success. Is LCC trying to become county champs or region champs?

Track record speaks for itself Johnson had one region apperance in 8 or 9 years not much success in my opinion.

Coaching girls basketball is totally different than coaching boys basketball.

Now which one is trying to get a leg up on taking over as new coach in a couple of years would be the biggest question?
Well if they do bad then you say all those things you want, but if you was in my shoes you would say give them a chance. Do you have anyone better that wanted it, and could do a better job?
I am not sure if Jerry has been hired to coach anything yet, I do know that Brian is going to be an assisstant. Both will work hard for the program.
What ?? How'd this come about??
I hate to bust everyones bubble but you not going to get a head coach from a top notch program to come to LCC to become an assistant coach. I do not think you can gauge success and failures by someone's record at Jenkins. It is too small a school to sustain a consistent winner. I do believe Brian Johnson beat LCC twice as a coach against Raymond Justice. As far as Jerry Bentley, his teams the last few years have not been very good although they did beat LCC a couple of years ago. He has had several good teams in the past as a head coach and while he was assisting his wife. Jenkins was regional runner-up to Hazard in 1997. They also made a few trips to the All - A and one year they made it to the final four. He was a big part of these teams. It is not definite if Coach Bentley is going to coach anyway. There may be another former coach in the 14th region coming LCC's way. We will have to wait and see.
kentuckynole Wrote:So beating LCC one year in boys basketball is a track record for success. Is LCC trying to become county champs or region champs?

Track record speaks for itself Johnson had one region apperance in 8 or 9 years not much success in my opinion.

Coaching girls basketball is totally different than coaching boys basketball.

Now which one is trying to get a leg up on taking over as new coach in a couple of years would be the biggest question?

Are you one of those people who feel like boys basketball coaches are superior to girls basketball coaches.
Jerry Bentley has not been hired as a coach yet. Brian Johnson has. coach hammonds has talked to coach bentley, but not hired as a coach yet, only as a teacher.
Beefhide Wrote:Jerry Bentley has not been hired as a coach yet. Brian Johnson has. coach hammonds has talked to coach bentley, but not hired as a coach yet, only as a teacher.

I dont know him personally, but to be honest I hope your right, I have heard some things I didn't like !!!!!!
Jerry Bentley is a good coach, he had alot of success at Jenkins. What most people dont consider is the size of Jenkins, anytime that you are going to the regional finals and All Finals with a school the size of Jenkins you are doing well.
Lucky7 Wrote:Jerry Bentley is a good coach, he had alot of success at Jenkins. What most people dont consider is the size of Jenkins, anytime that you are going to the regional finals and All Finals with a school the size of Jenkins you are doing well.

I dont question his coaching ability as long as he is not the head coach, its his overwhelming desire to control everything that worries me !!!!!!
What about assistants that were there last yr?
LarryLargemouth Wrote:I am not sure if Jerry has been hired to coach anything yet, I do know that Brian is going to be an assisstant. Both will work hard for the program.

Quarterback7 Wrote:What ?? How'd this come about??

OrangenowBlue Wrote:I hate to bust everyones bubble but you not going to get a head coach from a top notch program to come to LCC to become an assistant coach. I do not think you can gauge success and failures by someone's record at Jenkins. It is too small a school to sustain a consistent winner. I do believe Brian Johnson beat LCC twice as a coach against Raymond Justice. As far as Jerry Bentley, his teams the last few years have not been very good although they did beat LCC a couple of years ago. He has had several good teams in the past as a head coach and while he was assisting his wife. Jenkins was regional runner-up to Hazard in 1997. They also made a few trips to the All - A and one year they made it to the final four. He was a big part of these teams. It is not definite if Coach Bentley is going to coach anyway. There may be another former coach in the 14th region coming LCC's way. We will have to wait and see.

OrangenowBlue Wrote:Are you one of those people who feel like boys basketball coaches are superior to girls basketball coaches.

Beefhide Wrote:Jerry Bentley has not been hired as a coach yet. Brian Johnson has. coach hammonds has talked to coach bentley, but not hired as a coach yet, only as a teacher.

Well I don't know why Brian would tell me this. He told me that him and Jerry both signed and they are both assistants. I even told him that I was going to post his on this site to make sure it was ok, and he told me to go ahead and post it.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:Are you one of those people who feel like boys basketball coaches are superior to girls basketball coaches.

Did not say anything about boys coaches being superior to girls coaches. I said coaching boys is different from coaching girls. Boys games are faster paced, motivate them different.

I am saying just because you are successful as girls coach does not always make you successful as a boys coach.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:I hate to bust everyones bubble but you not going to get a head coach from a top notch program to come to LCC to become an assistant coach. I do not think you can gauge success and failures by someone's record at Jenkins. It is too small a school to sustain a consistent winner. I do believe Brian Johnson beat LCC twice as a coach against Raymond Justice. As far as Jerry Bentley, his teams the last few years have not been very good although they did beat LCC a couple of years ago. He has had several good teams in the past as a head coach and while he was assisting his wife. Jenkins was regional runner-up to Hazard in 1997. They also made a few trips to the All - A and one year they made it to the final four. He was a big part of these teams. It is not definite if Coach Bentley is going to coach anyway. There may be another former coach in the 14th region coming LCC's way. We will have to wait and see.

They got a head coach from Jessamine County but they had to go to Jenkins to get assistants. Who else applied or did the superintendent just decide who she wanted. Or was she just trying to get back at Jenkins for the Maggard mess she created.

If they can pay their head coach 91k why could they have not got him a top notch assistant. What about Bates from Letcher he seemed to have some success?
kentuckynole Wrote:They got a head coach from Jessamine County but they had to go to Jenkins to get assistants. Who else applied or did the superintendent just decide who she wanted. Or was she just trying to get back at Jenkins for the Maggard mess she created.

If they can pay their head coach 91k why could they have not got him a top notch assistant. What about Bates from Letcher he seemed to have some success?

Well, I just talked to Brian, and I ask him who was gonna help, and he told me, him and Winston lee as of right now,There are more qualified people than Jerry Bentley, as for Brian, that is who Hammonds wanted to be his top assistant!!!!!!
LCC getting Johnson is a steal IMO. Hes very good coach and knows the game well. Having a son on the team which is prolly the best player on the team, guess that could have a little thing to do with it.
MVP 2,wth,Who is his son?
MVP2 Wrote:LCC getting Johnson is a steal IMO. Hes very good coach and knows the game well. Having a son on the team which is prolly the best player on the team, guess that could have a little thing to do with it.

Sorry but Logan is not Brians son, although a lot of people will think so, Logans dad is Mark!!!!!!
Logan and Brian are no relation. He does not have a son.
I am here today to apologize about the topic. I was given the wrong idea about what to post. Yes Jerry Bentley has been hired, but only as the PE teacher. He is still in the running for the assistants, but I will make 100% sure of it before I post it. Again I do apologize up front to Coach<--yes I still call him that, Coach Bentley. However I still think he is the best candidate out there to be the next assistant.
I agree that Jerry would be a great addition to the program. I have known him for a very long time and he is a great person and outstanding basketball mind. All you here is there was no success at Jenkins, but you can't compare the two schools, they are totally different. I don't know if there is any better qualified person for the job. In my opinion I hope he gets it....
Does anyone know coach hammonds e-mail? I would like to send him my resume to him for review for one of the assistant spots.
lil dog Wrote:I dont know him personally, but to be honest I hope your right, I have heard some things I didn't like !!!!!!

You shouldn't listen to rumors. Coach Bentley has mellowed out a lot since he first started coaching 22 years ago. Hot head ?????:blabbermo
Pages: 1 2 3