Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shelby Valley 55 - Betsy Layne 43
I thought SV played better defense over all in the second half. They are good at wht they do out front getting steals and turnovers the refs called what needed to be called and let good defense speak for it self
Betsy Layne's shaky ballhandling under pressure ultimately led to Valley putting the game away.
formerwildcat22 Wrote:That's exactly right. I was telling the guys who sat with me that the third quarter would determine the flow of the rest of the game, which I do believe Valley outscored BL by double digits.

Good teams find ways of winning when they are playing bad. Sounds like this was one of those games for Shelby Valley. If BL was playing a tight zone why didn't Justice and Newsome have more points than they did? Or did they shoot and just were not hitting.

If I remember right, BL does not have the size to handle Adams and Hatfield, looks like Hatfield had a big night but Adams was pretty quiet.

It's time to pick your game up Shelby Valley, I projected you guys not to get beat in the 15th.
goodguy Wrote:Good teams find ways of winning when they are playing bad. Sounds like this was one of those games for Shelby Valley. If BL was playing a tight zone why didn't Justice and Newsome have more points than they did? Or did they shoot and just were not hitting.

If I remember right, BL does not have the size to handle Adams and Hatfield, looks like Hatfield had a big night but Adams was pretty quiet.

It's time to pick your game up Shelby Valley, I projected you guys not to get beat in the 15th.

Well they were just not hitting their shots. The key to breaking down a zone is to do high-lows to score on the inside or whip the ball around the perimeter to get better shots from the outside. Valley's poor decision-making with bad passing and not taking shots spelled trouble for them early on. But like you said, good teams find ways to win.
It seems to me that SV is not playing with the intensity they did at the start of the season. SV is not a great offensive team, but is usually carried by their defense. That same level of intensity hasn't been there the last couple of games...
I mean I know all of these boys very well and I know exactly what they're capable of when they're playing at their best as a team. I agree about what you're saying about lack of intensity. I'm beginning to wonder if their tournament in Florida might have played a role in all this. Losing two or three games down there can do that to a team sometimes. However, that ought to make them thirsty and hungry to get back to playing Shelby Valley basketball. The kind that plays great games on offense and defense consistently throughout the game.
formerwildcat22 Wrote:I mean I know all of these boys very well and I know exactly what they're capable of when they're playing at their best as a team. I agree about what you're saying about lack of intensity. I'm beginning to wonder if their tournament in Florida might have played a role in all this. Losing two or three games down there can do that to a team sometimes. However, that ought to make them thirsty and hungry to get back to playing Shelby Valley basketball. The kind that plays great games on offense and defense consistently throughout the game.

Sounds like a home-grown KY team needs to give them an eye-opener!

Maybe a loss to a 15th region team is what they need. If they don't have the intensity and they are starting to hotdog a little; one would think they feel like they are "king of the mountain" and it may take someone knocking them off to wake them up.

Sometimes a loss will wake a team up. Hope this is not the case and they are just in a lull now.
We all know that every team goes through these types of phases. Sometimes they still win but not like they should. Sometimes these lose and then get hot again. Take the Boston Celtics right now. They start out with like the best record ever after a certain number of games to start the season. Now look at them. They've went through a cold spell and lost several games recently. What will it take for Valley to get out of this funk? I feel that if they would just let the game come to them and play to their strengths and stop showboating they will be fine. If they somehow make it through the All A regional tourney to face Elliot County, then we'll be able to see whether or not they will be able to regain their intensity when it really matters.
I may be crazy, but I think SV will have a very tough time coming out of North Laurel tomorrow with a win. Also, hopefully the All A Classic will bring the intensity back to SV...
Not crazy at all. What's the score of a game when the before tip-off? 0-0. Both teams have an equal shot at winning the game from the beginning. Now I know everyone is going to say what if it's a David vs. Goliath matchup? So be it, but don't ever say that playing whatever team is a guaranteed win. Because that's just setting yourself up for a major letdown. I do see Valley coming out with a win, but if they lack intensity, it won't be as easy as they think it will be.
The King Wrote:I may be crazy, but I think SV will have a very tough time coming out of North Laurel tomorrow with a win. Also, hopefully the All A Classic will bring the intensity back to SV...

I see Shelby Valley losing tomorrow as well. Day after a tough game vs. Betsy Layne, plus travel time will be tough along with the way they are playing.

Hope they prove me wrong in a big way though.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Makes you think that whoever did the scheduling must have thought Betsy Layne would have been a cakewalk. With all the factors included, one would think the odds are against Valley in this one. Keys to the game is us having a strong inside presence early on and our bench participating strongly.
The 58th deserves a little more credit now. Prestonsburg & Betsy Layne are both surprisingly good and well coached.

Congrats Valley... great effort Bobcats!
alfus21 Wrote:No, but in my opinion they won't lose a game in this region.They're 3-0 in the region now with wins of 24, 14, and 12 and people are acting like the sky is falling.

Exactly...SV is not going to "crush" everyone in this region and don't be surprised or shocked if they drop a game inside the region at some point. SV isn't going to come out with the same intensity every single game because it's hard to "get up" for some regional games after playing the kind of schedule they've endured thus far.

With that said. Congrats to BL for giving SV their best shot. I don't think the All "A" matchup they have coming up will be any different because SV will adjust because they won't overlook the Bobcats. Too bad BL had to play this game before their All "A" matchup. BL may have been able to sneak up on SV in the All "A" if not for this game.

SV will get the best every opponent has to offer this season because opponents get up for these games, while SV is just taking care of business as usual.
Both teams played sloppy for most of the game. Betsy Layne seemed to be playing better early on and shooting the ball better. Betsy Layne was going after the boards better than Shelby Valley. It appeared to me that Shelby Valley was playing no intensity at all. Nothing like the first three games of the season. Shot the ball very poorly. Refs didnt determine the outcome in this game at all. It was called even, but poor on both ends at times. For any play that Betsy Layne fans can come up with, Shelby Valley can come up with one to match it. Same goes for Shelby Valley. But believe it or not, after watching some other called games both out of this region, and out of this state, our refs are not as bad as people but them out to be.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It is the size of the fight in the dog.
Thorn67 Wrote:I have to say the refs in the game were terrible at one point they called 4 fouls on a row on BL in like one possesion. On the other hand the let Valley hack all they want on BL i saw one near the end of the 3rd quarter clear as day foul reach in slapped his arm and took the ball away just terrible one ref just gave Valley the game.

Please don't act like Betsy Layne got ripped. That is absolutely rediculous. Elisha had 4 fouls and 2 of the ones he had called on him were absolutely whistle clean.Rolleyes
I was impressed with Betsy Layne's performance tonight. I didn't realize they had that many turnovers. But, maybe they looked so good because Valley looked so bad. Gosh, if you were there, you know. If you weren't, it was pitiful. These guys can play though, and I wish 'em the best of luck from here on out. We all know their potential. It's okay to have a bad night, but please! no more like that.

Congrats Wildcats.
Summing up the game, Valley came out really flat and let Betsy Layne hang around for a while. SV did shoot terribly in the first half though. In the second half Valley turned it on and outscored the Bobcats by 15 points. Although I never had a doubt that SV would win it is a terrible habit to play to the level of the competition. That has been a problem with this group their whole careers. I think we will see a revived SV team when they play in the All A.

On a side note I don't know why BL's coaching staff let SV hold the ball for the the last 3 minutes of the game. SV was only up 10... Did BL think it was over? Where they content with playing SV remotely close? I just didn't understand. They definitely should have fouled, especially the way SV had shot free throws.
Congrats to SV
InstantOffense Wrote:Summing up the game, Valley came out really flat and let Betsy Layne hang around for a while. SV did shoot terribly in the first half though. In the second half Valley turned it on and outscored the Bobcats by 15 points. Although I never had a doubt that SV would win it is a terrible habit to play to the level of the competition. That has been a problem with this group their whole careers. I think we will see a revived SV team when they play in the All A.

On a side note I don't know why BL's coaching staff let SV hold the ball for the the last 3 minutes of the game. SV was only up 10... Did BL think it was over? Where they content with playing SV remotely close? I just didn't understand. They definitely should have fouled, especially the way SV had shot free throws.
Yes they should have fouled, and I know Sv secured the win by holding the ball but it's time for a SHOTCLOCK. SV plays to slow pace half court offense.
Or time to foul? There was no reason to let us run out the clock.
Congrats Valley on the win! That is what good teams do, find a way to win even if they aren't playing well.

So what's up with Valley lately? Are they not at full strength right now. I would have thought the margin would have been larger.
alleycat53 Wrote:Yes they should have fouled, and I know Sv secured the win by holding the ball but it's time for a SHOTCLOCK. SV plays to slow pace half court offense.
Normally, Valley want to run the ball. To say they play to slow of a pace is not true. But holding the ball like they did with 2 or 3 minutes left in the game is the same thing Betsy Layne would have done if they had the lead and ball. I can sort of see the not fouling, but not even playing defense, I dont uderstand that. Betsy Layne stayed back in a tight 2-3 zone only down 10 with 3 minutes left. They let Valley stand at half court and didnt even get within 10 feet of them. But again, if Betsy Layne had the lead and Valley stayed back in a zone like that, I am sure betsy Layne would have been happy to hold the ball.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It is the size of the fight in the dog.
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:Normally, Valley want to run the ball. To say they play to slow of a pace is not true. But holding the ball like they did with 2 or 3 minutes left in the game is the same thing Betsy Layne would have done if they had the lead and ball. I can sort of see the not fouling, but not even playing defense, I dont uderstand that. Betsy Layne stayed back in a tight 2-3 zone only down 10 with 3 minutes left. They let Valley stand at half court and didnt even get within 10 feet of them. But again, if Betsy Layne had the lead and Valley stayed back in a zone like that, I am sure betsy Layne would have been happy to hold the ball.
why got out on them and play their game? Jr newsome did the right thing they play each other in the all a in a week there was no desperation to win this game.....all i have to say about valley is OVERRATED the most overrated team Ive ever seen I'm sorry if that offends people on here but its a fact.......and they better be ready next Friday because bl will definitely be the intimidation factor is gone now and i think if they dont bring there a game sv will find themselves watching the rest of the all a
jolly rancher Wrote:why got out on them and play their game? Jr newsome did the right thing they play each other in the all a in a week there was no desperation to win this game.....all i have to say about valley is OVERRATED the most overrated team Ive ever seen I'm sorry if that offends people on here but its a fact.......and they better be ready next Friday because bl will definitely be the intimidation factor is gone now and i think if they dont bring there a game sv will find themselves watching the rest of the all a

Play their game? holding the ball is Valleys game? And yes, I will agree with you on the way Valley played last night, they are over rated. If they play the way they did the first 3 games, then no they are not.

When exactly was Betsy Layne intimidated? When they had the 1st quarter lead, or the lead at the half? Or did they get intimated starting the second half? No offense intended, but Valley played the worst game they have played this season without a doubt, and still won by 12....
I know people from Valley get on here and read this stuff, so I would personally just like to come forth and state how disgusted I am with the Blue Crew. As a former leader, you all have the best team Valley has ever seen, and you all are giving them no support, and that disgusts me. Please take this into consideration for the upcoming games.
jolly rancher Wrote:all i have to say about valley is OVERRATED the most overrated team Ive ever seen I'm sorry if that offends people on here but its a fact.......

It's actually an opinion... just because it's yours doesn't make it a fact.
PC_You_Know Wrote:I know people from Valley get on here and read this stuff, so I would personally just like to come forth and state how disgusted I am with the Blue Crew. As a former leader, you all have the best team Valley has ever seen, and you all are giving them no support, and that disgusts me. Please take this into consideration for the upcoming games.

Lets hold up on the best Valley team ever. Honestly I don't even think they are close the way they are playing right now. They have the potential to be up there with the best, but as of right now, no way. Just off the top of my head I know that the 91,01,02, and 03 Valley teams would beat them and the 01 and 91 teams would do it pretty easily. I do think that this Valley team has AS MUCH talent as any Valley team ever and may end up with alot of wins, but the region is way down as well as the rest of the state. Don't discredit what all those other teams did just because this is the team you know the best...
PC_You_Know Wrote:I know people from Valley get on here and read this stuff, so I would personally just like to come forth and state how disgusted I am with the Blue Crew. As a former leader, you all have the best team Valley has ever seen, and you all are giving them no support, and that disgusts me. Please take this into consideration for the upcoming games.

Blue Crew was a joke at this game! I remember when there would be 200 or more kids in the top of the gym supporting teams that were no where near as good as Valley's team now. What has happened to all of the support from the student body?
Yeah, SV is in a slump right now. But they have so much talent on their team and once EJ gets back to playing like he once was SV will be fine. This happened to them last year when they got beat by Pikeville. Just hope a loss is not what has to happen for them to get back on track. Shelby Valley will be fine.