Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shelby Valley 55 - Betsy Layne 43
Final
SV shot 21 out of 48
SV hit 10 out of 17 FTs
BL had 25 turnovers
SV held the ball for most of the last 2 minutes.
If shelby valley dont start playing better they wont win the region
Any individual stats? Shooting percentage is pretty bad.

Weak win by Valley. Not enough rebounding. Too much showboat passing.
bigman77 Wrote:weak win by valley... not enough rebounding.... too much showboat passing....

I didn't think it was as much about showboat passing as it was bad decision making on entry passes and not valuing the ball.
thetribe Wrote:Any individual stats? Shooting percentage is pretty bad.

Ashley Hatfield 21 points, 6 rebounds
Logan Bryant 8 points, 6 rebounds, 6 steals
Tyler Newsome 7 points, 2 rebounds
Taylor Newsome 5 points, 5 rebounds
Deven Adams 4 points
Cody Varney 4 points
Elisha Justice 4 points, 3 rebounds, 5 assists
Curby Tackett 2 points

Valley had 16 turnovers, 19 steals, 25 rebounds, and 8 assists (the lowest I can remember for this team by quite a bit).

Martin had 17 for Betsy Layne and shot the ball really well.
Head had 8

Betsy Layne had 25 turnovers, 10 steals, 27 rebounds, and 11 assists.
Shelby Valley is a great team, but I see them getting beat in region.
Very pitiful performance from Shelby Valley tonight. They have 3 boys, Adam, Tackett and Hatfield way over 6 foot and they could not pull a rebound down. Then everytime down the court it seemed like they tried to throw an alley oop to each other and it never worked. They missed i dont know how many open lay ups and shots. Like "bigman77" said they threw showboat passes. If Shelby Valley does not straighten up they will not win the region. And if this game would have been at BL, i think that SV would have lost.
looks like Valley didnt shoot to well only going 21 for 48...16 turnovers is quiet abit
Valley must have had a bad night. Region will not be a cupcake for them I bet you that.
PHS#1 Wrote:valley must have had a bad night.... region will not be a cupcake for them i bet you that.

No, but in my opinion they won't lose a game in this region.They're 3-0 in the region now with wins of 24, 14, and 12 and people are acting like the sky is falling.

They won. Congrats.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Valley is'nt playing anywhere near there best right now..they better step it up come march
It certainly sounds like SV did not have one of their better performances, but have tight games, or a tight series of games does not necessrily mean the sky is falling. Elliott Co. had a scare earier in the week, but got the win.

Most important thing for SV tonight, they overcame a less than stellar performance, but pulled out the victory. A win is a win, SV will be fine.

Congrats to the players and coaches of Shelby Valley, nice win :Thumbs:
Betsy Layne is a well coached team that is fundamentally sound. If not for Valley's tenacious defense, I don't think they win this game. I don't think I would call the passes "showboat" passes, they were just simply trying to get the ball in the post and BL played a very tight and helping zone so that option was not there, maybe if they tried to shoot the open shot they were passing up the offense could have gotten into rythym better.
Betsy Layne 14 12 8 9 43

Shelby Valley 10 13 18 14 55

Betsy Layne (8-4) -- B. Adkins 3, Maldonado 2, Martin 19, Tibbs 5, Head 8, Tackett 2, C. Adkins 4.
Shelby Valley (9-4) -- Justice 4, Bryant 8, Hatfield 21, Ta. Newsome 5, Varney 4, Adams 4, Ty. Newsome 7, Tackett 2.
bigman77 Wrote:weak win by valley... not enough rebounding.... too much showboat passing....

Not impressed!!! way to much showboating. I understand holding the ball to get a win, but you should not have to hold the ball for 2 and a half minutes to beat BL if your supposedly the # 7 ranked team in the state. Sorry but if things don't improve the farthest this team is going to get is to the EXPO center in Pikeville!!!!!
The past two games I know of Valley hasn't put away their opponent like they should have, but is this because of EJ's injury? Surely they can hold it together without him and shut out teams like they are supposedly supposed to do.
But like I've always said, don't count your chicken before they hatch...
Stardust Wrote:It certainly sounds like SV did not have one of their better performances, but have tight games, or a tight series of games does not necessrily mean the sky is falling. Elliott Co. had a scare earier in the week, but got the win.

Most important thing for SV tonight, they overcame a less than stellar performance, but pulled out the victory. A win is a win, SV will be fine.

Congrats to the players and coaches of Shelby Valley, nice win :Thumbs:

Better be glad it was BL not Elliot CO. or it probably would not have been very pretty..........
25 turnovers sounds like to me the bobcats didnt play to their potential. I think the bobcats are getting better everygame. Keep working hard. WOW!!!!!WOW!!!!!

Bobcat athletics is on the rise!!!!!
Well, tonight wasn't the prettiest game to watch, but a win is a win for Valley. Truthfully, I did not think Betsy Layne didn't have much to bring to the table (this was before I watched them play for the first time tonight), but I thought they played solid and held their own. There were quite too many unforced turnovers on both teams' part, as well as countless opportunities of easy baskets not taken. As for those discussing Elisha's shoulder, I believe after watching him play tonight that the injury is no longer there and he will eventually become his old self again.

As far as defense goes for Valley, I am not very impressed at all. Yes, Betsy Layne had over 20 turnovers. However, Valley's zone defense seems to fall asleep and allow their opponents to get open jumpers on the perimeter as well as jumpers around the free-throw line. In my opinion, when you have pesky defenders like Justice and Bryant to handle the guards and bigger bodies like Adams, Newsome, Hatfield, and Tackett, there should be no reason why the zone should give up these types of shots. I would like to see them play more man-on-man defense since most of those seeing playing time play decent on-ball defense.

There were way too many lob passes in the paint tonight against a zone defense. I also didn't think Valley was even looking where they were passing. If it's not there, don't force it in there. Keep moving the ball around and eventually you will get the shot you want. Also, when you get the ball down on the block in a zone, the defenders will crash down to get you to force you to kick the ball back out. There were several times tonight that our big men put the ball on the floor when this happened that led to a turnover and eventually a basket on the other end. I've played quite a bit of basketball against these boys in pick-up games to know that they are alot better players than they showed tonight.

Some of the players for Valley do not seem to have confidence in their shots at the moment. Quite a few times I saw wide open shots passed up. Betsy Layne was even backing off of the shooters because they weren't taking advantage of the freebies. Take the shot boys, you only have three other guys 6'4" and over down under to grab the rebound. Remember this saying: You always miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

It will be interesting how these two teams play when they meet again in the first round of the All A Classic.
formerwildcat22 Wrote:Well, tonight wasn't the prettiest game to watch, but a win is a win for Valley. Truthfully, I did not think Betsy Layne didn't have much to bring to the table (this was before I watched them play for the first time tonight), but I thought they played solid and held their own. There were quite too many unforced turnovers on both teams' part, as well as countless opportunities of easy baskets not taken. As for those discussing Elisha's shoulder, I believe after watching him play tonight that the injury is no longer there and he will eventually become his old self again.

As far as defense goes for Valley, I am not very impressed at all. Yes, Betsy Layne had over 20 turnovers. However, Valley's zone defense seems to fall asleep and allow their opponents to get open jumpers on the perimeter as well as jumpers around the free-throw line. In my opinion, when you have pesky defenders like Justice and Bryant to handle the guards and bigger bodies like Adams, Newsome, Hatfield, and Tackett, there should be no reason why the zone should give up these types of shots. I would like to see them play more man-on-man defense since most of those seeing playing time play decent on-ball defense.

There were way too many lob passes in the paint tonight against a zone defense. I also didn't think Valley was even looking where they were passing. If it's not there, don't force it in there. Keep moving the ball around and eventually you will get the shot you want. Also, when you get the ball down on the block in a zone, the defenders will crash down to get you to force you to kick the ball back out. There were several times tonight that our big men put the ball on the floor when this happened that led to a turnover and eventually a basket on the other end. I've played quite a bit of basketball against these boys in pick-up games to know that they are alot better players than they showed tonight.

Some of the players for Valley do not seem to have confidence in their shots at the moment. Quite a few times I saw wide open shots passed up. Betsy Layne was even backing off of the shooters because they weren't taking advantage of the freebies. Take the shot boys, you only have three other guys 6'4" and over down under to grab the rebound. Remember this saying: You always miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

It will be interesting how these two teams play when they meet again in the first round of the All A Classic.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
Doesn't sound like SV played a very good game. But a win is a win. Congrats
And this game was played at Shelby Valley. Betsy Layne did bring a good crowd with them too. I see good things happening at Betsy Layne in the future.
Congrats Shelby Valley!
GOOD GAME Bobcats! Way to not let it be a cakewalk. I don't think Valley got the lead til the 2nd half in this one. Nice game Hatfield and Martin. BL Could've used a few more offensive threats in this one to pull out the W......Regroup and meet again in the ALL A
I have to say the refs in the game were terrible at one point they called 4 fouls on a row on BL in like one possesion. On the other hand the let Valley hack all they want on BL i saw one near the end of the 3rd quarter clear as day foul reach in slapped his arm and took the ball away just terrible one ref just gave Valley the game.
Thorn67 Wrote:I have to say the refs in the game were terrible at one point they called 4 fouls on a row on BL in like one possesion. On the other hand the let Valley hack all they want on BL i saw one near the end of the 3rd quarter clear as day foul reach in slapped his arm and took the ball away just terrible one ref just gave Valley the game.

LOL, I was goin to complain about the refs calling too many hacks in the paint on Valley but I didn't, but since you want to try that I will bring it up.
I knew it would only be a matter of time before someone posted something about the refs. In my honest opinion, I thought both sides were called evenly. The refs did not give this game away at all. If you recall, Justice and Adams sat out the majority of the first half and went into the halftime facing only a three point deficit. In my opinion, it was the Valley's subs like Varney, Newsome, and Tackett who helped out tremendously. No, I'm not biased at all because I'm from Valley. Were these refs even from this region, because I didn't really recognize any of them.
The refs let the players decide the game. 25 turnovers for the game and only 8 points in the third quarter had way more to do with BL loosing than the refs did. BL played a great game and has a tremendous upside right now, dont ruin it by complaining about the refs.
They were 15th region officals
baseline Jumper Wrote:The refs let the players decide the game. 25 turnovers for the game and only 8 points in the third quarter had way more to do with BL loosing than the refs did. BL played a great game and has a tremendous upside right now, dont ruin it by complaining about the refs.

That's exactly right. I was telling the guys who sat with me that the third quarter would determine the flow of the rest of the game, which I do believe Valley outscored BL by double digits.