Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Highlands Bluebirds
48.48%
Johnson Central Golden Eagles
51.52%
* You voted for this item.

•  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Highlands @ Johnson Central (5A 3rd Round)
EKY Sportster Wrote:Dude, Highlands may win, but I can assure you they won't win by 45! I'll take that bet in any amount too! Highlands barely covered 45 against Ashland at home and JC beat Ashland just as bad on Ashland's home field. Likewise, JC beat BS and BS gave Highlands a game. So no way is Highlands that much better than JC. Bring your wallet because you will find many takers if you want to lay 45 points on this one! Smile

I agree. Similar opponents have had similar outcomes for both teams. Highlands is a more balanced team, and should be the favorite, but I would sure like to see JC pull this out. Good Luck Eagles! With that said I think:

Highlands - 35
JC - 20
Sarrr Wrote:That's just it though: if JCHS kicks the PAT for a tie instead of going for 2, that game changes completely. Of course, you'd still be saying "If JC can't beat Belfry any worse than that they won't beat Highlands"

The PCN believes in you, Golden Eagles, and it's worked for the most part in Belfry for quite awhile now Tongue

Given home field advantage, I'm going to go with the Eagles in a nail biter!

You, like me, have no way of knowing whether the outcome of the Belfry/JC game would have been different had JC kicked the PAT. Actually you don't even know if the PAT would have even been good anyway, so the resulting score could have been the same, Belfry was just better. My previous post was 75% about JC not beating Belfry this year, and 25% about them having tried something like 25 times in the past and haven't gotten it done yet! I watch high school football all over Ohio and Kentucky and I'm not saying JC absolutely can't win this game, but I am saying it is highly unlikely!
As a Pirate fan and from Eastern Kentucky I want to see all the local teams win when it comes this late in the playoffs.

Central can win this game. Highlands is a great team but Central is at home and they know what they have to do.

I'm going to take Central in a close one and dare I say it........the Golden Eagles win by going for 2.....Big Grin

Central: 29
Highlands: 28

Cool Cool Cool
DevilsWin Wrote:I totally understand what you're saying but I've seen Highlands do it to too many times too many teams.

They eat 12-0 teams for breakfast in the play-offs.

With players like Tony Guidugli and Austin Collinsworth on this team JC has no chance.

These guys will be playing on Sundays in about 5-6 years.

This is totally right...I picked Highlands earlier in this thread and I'm keeping my vote the same.
Well I guess it's a good thing that JC is 11-1 instead of 12-0 so they won't get ate for breakfast Big Grin That loss came to the team that will likely win the 3A title and would compete at all levels except for 6A. Losing actually allowed JC to see their weaknesses and can improve on them. Highlands struggled with Bryan Station and beat Ashland by about the same margin JC did with the only exception is that Highlands played Ashland at home and JC traveled to Putnam. Not making a prediction because I'm a little superstitious about those things, but it should be a great game.
Comparing oppnents and how bad each team beat those opponents is virtually useless especially when the JVs were in early on. The better comparison would be things like points for and points against. JC PF 530, PA 216...Highlands PF 541, PA 135. Even these simple stats have a lot of intangibles involved, but based upon this the offenses look to score about the same while Highland's defense has given up quite a few less points.
This should be one heck of a game.

Game of the Week

I want JC to win, but i'll take Highlands by 2 TD's
this will be the game of the year........i love the golden eagles and the way they have been playing and it being at home im gonna take Jc in a close one.....22-20!!!!!!!!!!! go eagles!!!!! and people saying they couldnt beat belfry.......belfry is a darn good football team.......alot of teams thats making that statement prolly couldnt beat belfry either!!!
P4PChamp Wrote:Comparing oppnents and how bad each team beat those opponents is virtually useless especially when the JVs were in early on. The better comparison would be things like points for and points against. JC PF 530, PA 216...Highlands PF 541, PA 135. Even these simple stats have a lot of intangibles involved, but based upon this the offenses look to score about the same while Highland's defense has given up quite a few less points.

The majority of the points that JC has given up came with their subs and JV in the game also, their defense is better than what those stats you have up there show.
IRISH4 Wrote:The majority of the points that JC has given up came with their subs and JV in the game also, their defense is better than what those stats you have up there show.

And the same could be said for Highland's defense being better than the stats I have up there as well. In my earlier post when I mentioned JVs I meant both teams, not just Highlands!
P4PChamp Wrote:And the same could be said for Highland's defense being better than the stats I have up there as well. In my earlier post when I mentioned JVs I meant both teams, not just Highlands!

Well if that's the case then you should throw out all those stats and the games against common opponents. Both teams are 0-0 and I feel that winner of this game is going to move on to win the state chamionship.
IRISH4 Wrote:Well I guess it's a good thing that JC is 11-1 instead of 12-0 so they won't get ate for breakfast Big Grin That loss came to the team that will likely win the 3A title and would compete at all levels except for 6A. Losing actually allowed JC to see their weaknesses and can improve on them. Highlands struggled with Bryan Station and beat Ashland by about the same margin JC did with the only exception is that Highlands played Ashland at home and JC traveled to Putnam. Not making a prediction because I'm a little superstitious about those things, but it should be a great game.

Highlands struggled with BS because they kept shooting them selves in the foot. I just looked at some pictures of the JC players and was surprised that they did not look bigger! HHS has gone up agianst at least 4 teams with much more size. Don't look to push HHS all over the field and better have the team ready to pass the ball. HHS player (Roller) looked to be hurt bad last night, any update? Also heard that Ashland player number 21 might have had a lacerated spleen, any updates on him? Wish the best for both of these young men!!!
Same thing could be said about JC and BS. JC was playing with their back up sophomore QB that week and fumbled 7 times...as for size, it only really means so much. However, I do look for this game to be great game.
IRISH4 Wrote:Well if that's the case then you should throw out all those stats and the games against common opponents. Both teams are 0-0 and I feel that winner of this game is going to move on to win the state chamionship.

Did not one of my previous posts say there were still intangibles when using this analogy? I felt it was better than comparing common opponents since you cannot account for how much each team played their JVs? But, Let's say each JV gave up about the same amount of points and were in for about the same amount of minutes per game and the starters for both played comparable minutes before being taken out, then Highlands starters would have given up less points when both had their starters in.
IRISH4 Wrote:Same thing could be said about JC and BS. JC was playing with their back up sophomore QB that week and fumbled 7 times...as for size, it only really means so much. However, I do look for this game to be great game.

BS did not shoot them selves in the foot agianst HHS, they played a very good game! And you are right about size only means so much, HHS is smaller than their opponents year in and year out. JC did not have a good game either agianst BS. As for the backup QB, alot of guys could play QB for JC , just need to be able to make good handoffs to your good running backs. You do not have a passing attack. Looking forward to the game, Hope it is a good one.
P4PChamp Wrote:Did not one of my previous posts say there were still intangibles when using this analogy? I felt it was better than comparing common opponents since you cannot account for how much each team played their JVs? But, Let's say each JV gave up about the same amount of points and were in for about the same amount of minutes per game and the starters for both played comparable minutes before being taken out, then Highlands starters would have given up less points when both had their starters in.

That works.
IRISH4 Wrote:Same thing could be said about JC and BS. JC was playing with their back up sophomore QB that week and fumbled 7 times...as for size, it only really means so much. However, I do look for this game to be great game.

By the way, are you agreeing that JC is not that big?
Here's another chance for Matney to prove he can win the big game . I know he's a good coach but just like a lot of other's that's been in the area he has trouble winning the big game (Chuke) for exsample. I would love to see J.C win this one I don't think they will but I don't think Highlands should be in with the public school's any ways they are a privite school with different rules. But I will say this they have an awsome football program. I have seen year in and year out team's from this area that can't be touched and go up agiants the blue birds and get beat like a drum. They are just on a different level I hope this is the year that the old country boy's come out on top. This should be a good game for a half but Highlands will get to rest there starter's in the fourth. Good look J.C
sstack Wrote:BS did not shoot them selves in the foot agianst HHS, they played a very good game! And you are right about size only means so much, HHS is smaller than their opponents year in and year out. JC did not have a good game either agianst BS. As for the backup QB, alot of guys could play QB for JC , just need to be able to make good handoffs to your good running backs. You do not have a passing attack. Looking forward to the game, Hope it is a good one.

I hope it is also and I think it really will be....time for me to hush and let the rest be determined on Friday night. Best of luck to both teams and hope that each plays their best and come out injury free. If you decide to come to Paintsville for the game, have a safe trip. :Thumbs:
sstack Wrote:By the way, are you agreeing that JC is not that big?

I'm not saying they are anywhere near the size of Station, but they are bigger than some teams and have several good sized players and athletes. I'm officially finished with the thread...everyone have a great week and have a great Thanksgiving.
You already have collinsworth in the NFL come on. He is not the straw that stirs the drink in highschool football. If he is all Johnson Central has to worry about then I am picken JC in a dog fight.
HarleyD Wrote:As a Pirate fan and from Eastern Kentucky I want to see all the local teams win when it comes this late in the playoffs.

Central can win this game. Highlands is a great team but Central is at home and they know what they have to do.

I'm going to take Central in a close one and dare I say it........the Golden Eagles win by going for 2.....Big Grin

Central: 29
Highlands: 28

Cool Cool Cool

:eek:
This is where I quit reading your post. I dont wanna know what the rest of the sentence says.
I doubt they'll pull it out, but GO EAGLES!
IRISH4 Wrote:I hope it is also and I think it really will be....time for me to hush and let the rest be determined on Friday night. Best of luck to both teams and hope that each plays their best and come out injury free. If you decide to come to Paintsville for the game, have a safe trip. :Thumbs:

Yep, I will be there, Lord willing. 5 1/2 hour trip one way for me. By the way, where are all the JC fans? There should have been a couple hundred posts by now. No interest in the game?
This game will be over quick!!! Highlands if clearly the best team in the state and will totally dominate JC. If I were Matney, I would just forfeit this game and save Highlands some gas money by not making the long trip. Smile I would almost bet Highlands could sit there starters and still play right with JC. Sorry JC, looks like this isn't your year either. Hmmm Big Grin
Dawg Family Wrote:Here's another chance for Matney to prove he can win the big game . I know he's a good coach but just like a lot of other's that's been in the area he has trouble winning the big game (Chuke) for exsample. I would love to see J.C win this one I don't think they will but I don't think Highlands should be in with the public school's any ways they are a privite school with different rules. But I will say this they have an awsome football program. I have seen year in and year out team's from this area that can't be touched and go up agiants the blue birds and get beat like a drum. They are just on a different level I hope this is the year that the old country boy's come out on top. This should be a good game for a half but Highlands will get to rest there starter's in the fourth. Good look J.C

Here we go again! Can't beat them, so they must cheat, be a private school , have a huge area to draw players from, and so on. HHS is a public shool and has always been. I do not know the pecentages, but would guess greater than 95% of the kids have been in school system since Kindergarden. Most parents come to FT Thomas for the excellent academics (best in the state). Why do you think we should be in with the private schools, just because we excell in sports? Sounds like sour grapes! And what "different rules"do we play by? I guarentee HHS has more trouble keeping our city kids in our school system then you. We lose kids ever year to Newport Central Cath and Cov Cath(My neighbor for one goes to Cov Cath and Last 4-5 years the stars on NCC team have been from Ft Thomas). Our kids dedicate themselves to the football program with hard work year around, and we have excellent coaching. If you want to compete with us, that is what it takes(oops, I just let the secret out). You should look at the HHS roster from the past 50 years, you would see all the second, third, and fourth generations on HHS teams. Great city that people don't leave. People accuse us all the time that we have a bubble over the city and nobody is allowed to leave or come into the city. You should know your facts before making outlandish remarks! It is a fact that NKY is very dedicated to Football, like other parts of the state are to Basketball. Does that mean the schools better than us in Basketball should be a private school or are cheaters? I don't think so!
Old Jacket Wrote:You already have collinsworth in the NFL come on. He is not the straw that stirs the drink in highschool football. If he is all Johnson Central has to worry about then I am picken JC in a dog fight.

Far from all they have to worry about!
Pullin for JC.
Good season Central, but Highlands has this.
Old Jacket Wrote:You already have collinsworth in the NFL come on. He is not the straw that stirs the drink in highschool football. If he is all Johnson Central has to worry about then I am picken JC in a dog fight.

Excellent post for the bulletin board!!
  •  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next